COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$62.99
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Coraline Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$19.70
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lost: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Once Upon a Time in America (Blu-ray)
$13.89
A-Channel: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Beware the Batman: Season 1 Part 2: Dark Justice (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #941
Special Member

Oct 2008

I just use mine to play blu-ray's and watch Netflix, I don't need all the bloatware on there. I wish I could get rid of that crap
Old 01-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #942
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Sadly mine died last night but it was a great player for 3 years. Now onto a new model but question is which one to settle on. My taxes come the first or second week of next month so I am going to be doing alot of reading up on reviews in the next 2 weeks. RIP to my BDP S570 I will miss it.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #943

Jun 2009
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Sadly mine died last night but it was a great player for 3 years. Now onto a new model but question is which one to settle on. My taxes come the first or second week of next month so I am going to be doing alot of reading up on reviews in the next 2 weeks. RIP to my BDP S570 I will miss it.
Aaahhh man, I'm sincerely sorry to hear that... what happened to it? I LOVE my 570 and I've had mine for almost 3 years too. I think I got it around July 2010. Always thought it was a very fast player; most movies load in seconds.

Good luck on your quest for a new player. I'm quite curious as to what player you go for as I've read several of your posts in the past on this thread.
My Movie Collection
My 'gear':
Sony 52" KDL-52W4100
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony DVPNS700H
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Onkyo SKS-HT750
Premier Acoustics PA-120
Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #944
Special Member

Oct 2008

How can I watch Ultraviolet movies on my S570 and S580
Panasonic VIERA TC-P55UT50
Vizio M3D460SR
Sony BDP-S580
Sony BDP-S570
Xbox 360- 250GB Slim--The only gaming console that matters!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #945
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Pill 101 View Post
Aaahhh man, I'm sincerely sorry to hear that... what happened to it? I LOVE my 570 and I've had mine for almost 3 years too. I think I got it around July 2010. Always thought it was a very fast player; most movies load in seconds.

Good luck on your quest for a new player. I'm quite curious as to what player you go for as I've read several of your posts in the past on this thread.
I went with the S590 Red Pill. Excellent player and couldnt be more happier. The only difference between the 2 players is is load time. The S570 was just a tad quicker when loading Blu's and I forgot the S590 has Vudu streaming which the S570 didnt. Otherwise I love my new player and am glad I got it.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #946

Nov 2007

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this. I have the Costco version of this player, the BDP-BX57 and it's been giving me a problem for awhile now I thought I should finally ask for help on.

Sometimes, often, when I load up a movie, the overlaying menus just wont appear. I can see the background image or movie playing on the menu screen, but the over lay with "Play" "setup" and so on just isn't there. Usually if I stop a disc completely and then try again, it will work, but sometimes it even takes a few tries.

On Disney movies, it will also do this during the previews at the start of a disc. The menu that says "start movie, next preview, menus" will often not pop up."

When either of these things happen, pressing my menu or pop up menu button does not do anything.

I've had the player a few years now, so I don't know if this is a sign it's dying or what.

Anything I can do?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #947

Jan 2008
Chesapeake, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this. I have the Costco version of this player, the BDP-BX57 and it's been giving me a problem for awhile now I thought I should finally ask for help on.

Sometimes, often, when I load up a movie, the overlaying menus just wont appear. I can see the background image or movie playing on the menu screen, but the over lay with "Play" "setup" and so on just isn't there. Usually if I stop a disc completely and then try again, it will work, but sometimes it even takes a few tries.

On Disney movies, it will also do this during the previews at the start of a disc. The menu that says "start movie, next preview, menus" will often not pop up."

When either of these things happen, pressing my menu or pop up menu button does not do anything.

I've had the player a few years now, so I don't know if this is a sign it's dying or what.

Anything I can do?
I can't say I have any information on the problem but can chime in that I have had that happen a few times with The Avengers only. It's very odd. And mine is an S570, not the Costco version.
Sony BDP-S570
Panasonic TH-50PZ77U
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K
Harmony One
Old 02-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #948
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

I phuckin' love my BDP-S570, but I hate the fact that I have to "worry if it's going to live" all the time.

Its like every week I wake up; "I hope my player works today"

I mean, what happened to the days when electronics lasted?

My first DVD player still works to this day!!
My first 5.1 receiver still works! I no longer use it because its outdated... but thats besides the point.

Blu-ray is only six years old and I'm on my third Blu-ray player! WTF!?
And I'm on my third Harmon Kardon receiver!

and I am anal; I take extreme care of my stuff!

Why doesnt shit last?
Thanks given by:
GLBright (05-06-2014)
Old 02-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #949

Nov 2007

Well I will tell you something funny. The Avengers was the first movie I started having this issue with!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #950

Nov 2007

Does anyone know what I might be able to do about my menus not appearing? It not only does that, but sometimes, discs just wont load. The player gets stuck. This seems to happen after a disc has been put in the player and I turn it off due to not finishing what I was watching. When I turn it back on to finish the disc, it has problems loading it.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM   #951
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeonstar View Post
Does anyone know what I might be able to do about my menus not appearing? It not only does that, but sometimes, discs just wont load. The player gets stuck. This seems to happen after a disc has been put in the player and I turn it off due to not finishing what I was watching. When I turn it back on to finish the disc, it has problems loading it.
If it's out if warranty, then it sounds like its no longer a correctly working machine
Old 06-18-2013, 07:31 PM   #952

Jun 2009
PA
Default Firmware??

So what's the consensus here? It's been almost two years since the last firmware update. Does anyone think we'll ever see another update released?

I'm not having any problems with my player, but it would be great if Total Recall played without the audio dropouts. Sure, I've done the 'workaround' to watch it, but a true fix would be nice.
My Movie Collection
My 'gear':
Sony 52" KDL-52W4100
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony DVPNS700H
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Onkyo SKS-HT750
Premier Acoustics PA-120
Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #953
Special Member

Oct 2007

I'm guessing no, Sony has moved on to newer models and doesn't really care. I was hoping for a Total Recall fix as well, but I really don't think it will happen.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:12 AM   #954

May 2009

I picked up the Sony S790 a week ago and have only been able to view a few 3D movies Cars2 with familly and Texas Chainsaw 3D alone .

Im curious I have some older DVD's that I enjoy for my own reasons movies like Eddie and The Cruisers, the Car, Race With the Devil and a couple other cult type films, so I have read that this sony has a great upscaler do I need to go into settings and turn anything on? also how great is that feature I dont really think its that big a deal but if there is something a piece of equipement can do I want it to do it.

Please pass on any info on this thanks
Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #955

Jun 2009
PA
Default New Firmware!

FINALLY!!!

Released 10-22-13: M04.R.788

Might not be in the market after all to buy a new BD player! I was sure Sony was done releasing updates for this player, hence my desire to upgrade. Can't wait to try Total Recall 2012 and hope this 'fixes' it!

Here's the release notes:
This utility upgrades the Blu-ray™ Disc player firmware to version M04.R.788 and provides the following benefits:
Improvements over firmware version M04.R.787:
Improves BD-ROM playability
Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M04.R.788:
Adds the ability to play 3D content using BRAVIA® Internet Video and the Qriocity™ IPTV service
Note: The availability of services in each country may vary
Adds support for the 3D Experience content using BRAVIA Internet Video
Improves YouTube® connectivity
Adds the ability to play 1080/60p video files produced by Sony® cameras
Improves HDMI® connectivity
Resolves an uncommon issue where the Blu-ray Disc player connects to the Internet even when setting "Do not allow internet connection".
Resolves an uncommon issue where the xross media bar™ language may switch to English after the Blu-ray Disc player starts up.
Improves compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs
Adds support for 3D content
Adds support for DLNA® content
Improves router connectivity
Resolves an issue where video streamed over the Internet may be displayed at SD (Standard Definition) instead of HD (High Definition) even when using a high speed Internet connection (10 Mbps or more) and watching video that is provided in HD.
Enhanced Gracenote® Entertainment database browser features:
Adds new features such Related Information Browse and Contents Search to improve your Blu-ray Disc™ movie database.
Enhanced photo slideshow:
Adds new visual effects and music to add to your photos when they are displayed on a TV.
Improved Compatibility:
Adds compatibility with DTS® Neo:6® to convert the audio into 5.1 or 6.1 channel format.

UPDATE: This firmware has not fixed the Total Recall audio issue. The audio dropouts are just as bad as they were prior to the update.
My Movie Collection
My 'gear':
Sony 52" KDL-52W4100
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony DVPNS700H
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Onkyo SKS-HT750
Premier Acoustics PA-120

Last edited by Red Pill 101; 10-23-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #956
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011

Quote:
FINALLY!!!

Released 10-22-13: M04.R.788

Might not be in the market after all to buy a new BD player! I was sure Sony was done releasing updates for this player, hence my desire to upgrade. Can't wait to try Total Recall 2012 and hope this 'fixes' it!

Here's the release notes:
This utility upgrades the Blu-ray™ Disc player firmware to version M04.R.788 and provides the following benefits:
Improvements over firmware version M04.R.787:
Improves BD-ROM playability
Benefits provided by previous upgrades and included in version M04.R.788:
Adds the ability to play 3D content using BRAVIA® Internet Video and the Qriocity™ IPTV service
Adds support for the 3D Experience content using BRAVIA Internet Video
Improves YouTube® connectivity
Adds the ability to play 1080/60p video files produced by Sony® cameras
Improves HDMI® connectivity
Resolves an uncommon issue where the Blu-ray Disc player connects to the Internet even when setting "Do not allow internet connection".
Resolves an uncommon issue where the xross media bar™ language may switch to English after the Blu-ray Disc player starts up.
Improves compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs
Adds support for 3D content
Adds support for DLNA® content
Improves router connectivity
Resolves an issue where video streamed over the Internet may be displayed at SD (Standard Definition) instead of HD (High Definition) even when using a high speed Internet connection (10 Mbps or more) and watching video that is provided in HD.
Enhanced Gracenote® Entertainment database browser features:
Adds new features such Related Information Browse and Contents Search to improve your Blu-ray Disc™ movie database.
Enhanced photo slideshow:
Adds new visual effects and music to add to your photos when they are displayed on a TV.
Improved Compatibility:
Adds compatibility with DTS® Neo:6® to convert the audio into 5.1 or 6.1 channel format.
Wait.. really? I just checked on Monday! Haaaa I checked one day too early.
But seriously, its been years
Old 10-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #957

Jun 2009
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Wait.. really? I just checked on Monday! Haaaa I checked one day too early.
But seriously, its been years
SERIOUSLY! I know! I was headed to Amazon to pull the trigger on the BDP-S5100. Thought I'd humor myself and check for a 570 update first; joke's on me! This BETTER fix Total Recall or I'll... I'll... um, probably just end up buying the 5100. I'm only mentioning Total Recall because I remember you have the dropout problem too.
My Movie Collection
My 'gear':
Sony 52" KDL-52W4100
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony DVPNS700H
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Onkyo SKS-HT750
Premier Acoustics PA-120
Old 10-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #958

Apr 2012

Red Pill- Great find. Hope this fixes my issues. Hard to believe after so long they give us the gift of an upgrade! Thanks
Old 10-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #959

Jun 2009
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhide85 View Post
Red Pill- Great find. Hope this fixes my issues. Hard to believe after so long they give us the gift of an upgrade! Thanks
Well I HOPE it fixes something for you! Funny enough, just for the hell of it I emailed Sony support the other day (before I installed the update) asking if this corrects the audio for Total Recall. After the update, I can assure everyone the dropouts are just as bad and occur everywhere throughout the movie.

Sony support replied today with this:

"Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I understand that you want to know if the latest firmware fixes audio drop out issue on your Blu ray device.

Updating latest firmware will fix many issues including the audio issue your device is having. Hence I request you to download it on your Blu ray device."
My Movie Collection
My 'gear':
Sony 52" KDL-52W4100
Sony BDP-S5100
Sony DVPNS700H
Sony STR-DA2400ES
Onkyo SKS-HT750
Premier Acoustics PA-120
Old 10-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #960

Oct 2009

Quote:
Well I HOPE it fixes something for you! Funny enough, just for the hell of it I emailed Sony support the other day (before I installed the update) asking if this corrects the audio for Total Recall. After the update, I can assure everyone the dropouts are just as bad and occur everywhere throughout the movie.

Sony support replied today with this:

"Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

I understand that you want to know if the latest firmware fixes audio drop out issue on your Blu ray device.

Updating latest firmware will fix many issues including the audio issue your device is having. Hence I request you to download it on your Blu ray device."
If it's any consolation, the Total Recall bd plays back w/audio dropouts on practically everything. I've got an s570, and I've also played it with an oppo and a ps3--it drops out on all of them. The only thing you can do is buy the "remastered in 4k" version, as sony's only fix for this original version is to tell the consumer to select PCM instead of bitstream in the audio options of whatever bd player you're using.

In any case, update or not, I've been very pleased with the s570. After all these years, it still has very fast disc loading capability.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders