Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Creepshow (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

Oct 2007
Newburgh, IN
Send a message via AIM to PDick40
Default Can 3D only discs be played in 2D on a 3D tv?

I was at my friends house and he has a Toshiba 3D LED and we was checking out some 3D movies. We noticed that we had the option to watch the 3D version in 2D even though the combo pack came with 3D Blu Ray, Blu Ray, and DVD. Now do you know if you can do this with all 3D movies and 3D TVs? This might be useful for the 3D blu rays that dont come with 2D blu ray like How To Train Your Dragon, Mega Mind and I might be able to get some of 3D Blu Rays that were 3D TV exclusives like Chronicles of Narnia on ebay for cheap. I plan on getting the 65" Samsung 3D LED 8000 series soon. I have 3 kids and this would be nice to know cus I wouldnt be able to always have 3D playing with my 2 year old runnin around and not wearing 3D glasses.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Good question. 3DTVs can play 2D content, and for a 3D blu ray, can present it in 3D, or by going into your 3DTV's options, change it quickly to 2D for the whole movie. This works for all 3D Blu ray movies. Even if they say "Requires a 3DTV".

The only exception would be a 3D movie presented in side by side 3D, which by default, will be split into two, needing the options set to "Side by side 3D" for it to look 3D. Otherwise, it's two halves. These sbs 3D movies are very rare and will indicate it clearly on the disc, usually from independent studios.

Last edited by Zivouhr; 01-19-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2012
Wisconsin

Yeah they can. I've got a nifty little button on my remote that if its playing in 3D it will convert the 3d Blu-Ray to 2D. Its a Samsung too which is the same brand you're looking at.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Special Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Swordfish View Post
Yeah they can. I've got a nifty little button on my remote that if its playing in 3D it will convert the 3d Blu-Ray to 2D. Its a Samsung too which is the same brand you're looking at.
If you have a 3D title with a dedicated 2D disc, why would you do this? The 2D source is optimized for 2D viewing.

fitprod
Old 01-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

When they only include 1 disc, a 3D blu ray, the 2D version on a 3DTV looks HD to most people. Only a very discerning eye can tell any subtle difference in quality between a 3D Blu Rays' 2D output and a dedicated 2D blu ray disc. In most cases anyway.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #6

Oct 2007
Newburgh, IN

Hey thanks everyone for your responses and feedback. Im getting really excited to finally get a 3DTV! Ive been waiting for a long time. Anytime I buy a movie and it has a 3D version I get that version. Does anyone have any favorite 3D movies they recommend? Also to the person that has the Samsung, what model do you have and size and how is the 3D? Best Buy doesnt have the model I want set up for 3D viewing.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #7

Aug 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDick40 View Post
Hey thanks everyone for your responses and feedback. Im getting really excited to finally get a 3DTV! Ive been waiting for a long time. Anytime I buy a movie and it has a 3D version I get that version. Does anyone have any favorite 3D movies they recommend? Also to the person that has the Samsung, what model do you have and size and how is the 3D? Best Buy doesnt have the model I want set up for 3D viewing.
Oh we all have favorite 3D movies - problem is everyone has a different favorite

Welcome to the 3D world (yeah a little in advance) trust me you wont look back, and you'll probably walk right by 2D movies for a 3D one in the future (unless theres a title you really want) you'll probably only look at 2D releases purely to think "that should have been done in 3D, and if it was I would buy it!

Chris
It's 3D for Me!
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #8

Oct 2007
Newburgh, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzScreamindemon View Post
Oh we all have favorite 3D movies - problem is everyone has a different favorite

Welcome to the 3D world (yeah a little in advance) trust me you wont look back, and you'll probably walk right by 2D movies for a 3D one in the future (unless theres a title you really want) you'll probably only look at 2D releases purely to think "that should have been done in 3D, and if it was I would buy it!

Chris
So then what r some of your favorites then? Do you think that certain movies look better on certain tvs? I was blown away by Voyage of the Dawn Treader on his Toshiba but then I came on here to look at peoples reviews and for the most part they were negative. This wasnt one of my first movies ive seen on his tv either.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:25 AM   #9
Special Member

Jul 2012
Wisconsin

If you want an immersive 3D experience you really have to check out Avatar and Hugo. I can't put into words the feeling you get when you watch either of these movies, it really is like you are right there. They are two of a whole lot of people's favorites on this site. If you are looking for more pop-out in your face kind of movies, horror/slasher flicks and computer animated movies are some of the best of this kind. Voyage of the Dawn Treader is one I haven't seen so I can't comment on it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies