COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$158.69
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
V/H/S/2 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
Between the Buried and Me: Future Sequence - Live at the Fidelitorium (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
24: Live Another Day (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Special Member

Jan 2011
SE Tennessee
Thumbs up Bunheads

Bunheads - ABC Family

I don't know if anyone else caught the debut of this show on ABC Family the other night but I really enjoyed it.

It was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino who created (Gilmore Girls) and for the last several years every time a cute/quirky show came along it was always asked is this the next Gilmore Girls?

And IMO Bunheads is the next Gilmore Girls! I kept thinking to myself while watching it that this is some weird GG "Pilot" that never got aired. Heck the lead in the show Sutton Foster even looks like Lauren Graham and the show even has Kelly Bishop who played Lorelai's (Graham's) mother (Emily Gilmore) on Gilmore Girls happens to be playing Foster's mother-in-law on this show. A couple of scenes between them looked straight out of GG.

I'm usually a action/drama guy but I became a fan of GG (especially the early seasons) and its fast talking/pop culture referencing dialog and only checked out Bunheads after I saw that it was created by Sherman-Palladino. I must say I'm glad I did and after the "pilot" episode I'm looking forward to seeing how/where this goes.

I'm not sure if many on here like this type of show but I highly recommend you catch one of the re-airs of the "Pilot" episode over the next three or four days and judge for your self.

-

Last edited by ChiefSequatchie; 06-14-2012 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
Banned

Jun 2012
kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSequatchie View Post
Bunheads - ABC Family

I don't know if anyone else caught the debut of this show on ABC Family the other night but I really enjoyed it.

It was created by Amy Sherman-Palladino who created (Gilmore Girls) and for the last several years every time a cute/quirky show came along it was always asked is this the next Gilmore Girls?

And IMO Bunheads is the next Gilmore Girls! I kept thinking to myself while watching it that this is some weird GG "Pilot" that never got aired. Heck the lead in the show Sutton Foster even looks like Lauren Graham and the show even has Kelly Bishop who played Lorelai's (Graham's) mother (Emily Gilmore) on Gilmore Girls happens to be playing Foster's mother-in-law on this show. A couple of scenes between them looked straight out of GG.

I'm usually a action/drama guy but I became a fan of GG (especially the early seasons) and its fast talking/pop culture referencing dialog and only checked out Bunheads after I saw that it was created by Sherman-Palladino. I must say I'm glad I did and after the "pilot" episode I'm looking forward to seeing how/where this goes.

I'm not sure if many on here like this type of show but I highly recommend you catch one of the re-airs of the "Pilot" episode over the next three or four days and judge for your self.

-
nice show but i dont think it will get a 2nd season we will c
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Expert Member

Mar 2008
Windy Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu is my soul View Post
nice show but i dont think it will get a 2nd season we will c
In the A18-49 demo it beat "The Lying Game," "Melissa and Joey" and "Jane by Design", and in total viewers it beat everything on the network except "Pretty Little Liars". The A12-32 Numbers havn't been revealed yet, but that is the demo that ABC Family targets. Personally I think it's doing fine ratings wise (and it's the first critical hit the network has had).

I've seen the first three episodes and I really enjoyed the series. I was a little hesitant at first with the pilot, but the second episode really solidifies that Amy Sherman-Palladino still knows what she's doing and she has an engaging story to tell of outsiders, friendship and surrogate families (sound familiar :P). I have to say though it took awhile to get used to her dialogue again, they talk so fast that you have to devote all your attention to the screen - which sucks you into the world even more.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Banned

Jun 2012
kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by critterdvd View Post
In the A18-49 demo it beat "The Lying Game," "Melissa and Joey" and "Jane by Design", and in total viewers it beat everything on the network except "Pretty Little Liars". The A12-32 Numbers havn't been revealed yet, but that is the demo that ABC Family targets. Personally I think it's doing fine ratings wise (and it's the first critical hit the network has had).

I've seen the first three episodes and I really enjoyed the series. I was a little hesitant at first with the pilot, but the second episode really solidifies that Amy Sherman-Palladino still knows what she's doing and she has an engaging story to tell of outsiders, friendship and surrogate families (sound familiar :P). I have to say though it took awhile to get used to her dialogue again, they talk so fast that you have to devote all your attention to the screen - which sucks you into the world even more.
cool i just watched the pilot episode so as you said the 2nd is better i like the show to be honest with you we surely need some light happy joyfull tv shows we had gcb canceled and some cw channel shows so this may be the one
Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Gilmore Girls is my favorite show of all-time. I loved it so much. The performances and writing were fantastic. If anyone here has yet to see it I can't recommend getting into that show enough. I know it sounds really girly, but give it a chance and I fully believe many guys will find themselves caught up in it. I've actually had guy friends have their girlfriends watch it and told them to at least watch the first disc of the show with them, and after that they watched the entire series.

Here were my thoughts on the first episode of Bunheads:

I was very worried during the first half of the pilot that this wasn't going to be any good. It took me until towards the end before I started to be won over, and by the very end I was for the most part. There are so many Gilmore Girls similarities that it's almost distracting. This isn't really a bad thing though, but it makes me miss that show. I know Sutton Foster is a 2-time Tony Award-winning actress but I'm not sure how I feel about her yet. For most of the pilot I didn't care for her. The main character is very Lorelai Gilmore, like, exactly. So most of the time when the main character would talk I kept thinking, "Lauren Graham could have delivered that so much better." During the first half I was wishing they'd cast someone else in the lead role. Sutton does share similarities with Graham though and hopefully as the show progresses and she gets more comfortable in the role she'll get better. I definitely started to like her better towards the end. She has some very big shoes to fill though.

The music is, of course, very Gilmore Girls-esque what with it being composed by Gilmore Girls composer Sam Phillips. I didn't even know it was before watching the pilot but it was instantly recognizable. That is fine with me as I loved the music on Gilmore Girls. It even used a variation of the "la la la" bit that Gilmore Girls itself had different variations of.

It's great to see Kelly Bishop back in Emily mode. Sure it's a different kind of character, to an extent, but still very similar.

The little twist at the end was a big surprise. I didn't see that coming.

All in all I enjoyed it, thanks in large part to the winning second half. It does show promise. I've seen much more underwhelming pilots than this that ended up blossoming into great shows. I just hope eventually I can see it as its own show rather than just Gilmore Girls warmed over. I definitely do think it's worth watching for any fan of that show though.

---------------------------

After seeing the second episode I'm still on the fence about this show. I can't help but compare it to Gilmore Girls and think that show did everything so much better. Nor am I sold on Sutton Foster. The young dancers on the show are so far pretty annoying, especially in the second episode. But I'm not going to give up on it. If Gilmore Girls never existed (and I don't want to imagine a world where it didn't :P) I'd probably be enjoying this show more.

Last edited by MikeScott; 06-25-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

While I fell in love with The Gilmore Girls through the DVD releases, I'm still not too sure with Bunheads. The first episode seemed to drag on too long and the second episode seemed to get better but it's just missing the atmosphere that made Gilmore Girls interesting.

The pop culture references, the music ... it just all meshed together. I think we're into the third episode to be released soon and it hasn't found its footing yet ... but, I'll keep sticking with the series. I just think that the series needs more colorful characters like Miss Patty, Luke, Kirk and Sookie. Those characters were really fascinating, funny and hilarious. So far, the characters in Bunheads seem drab and uninteresting. Kelly Bishop's character seems to be detached from the series but I'm hoping she gets more initeresting because I think Kelly Bishop is a talented actress.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

I just watched the last two episodes and I have to say it's definitely improving. I enjoyed these episodes a lot and thought they were pretty damn funny.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

I just finished the first season (or the first part of the season). Really glad it was renewed and hopefully they won't wait until next summer for it to return. I've come to love it. It took a bit to find its footing but I'm glad I stuck with it. I only see it continuing to grow.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 AM   #9
Special Member

Jan 2011
SE Tennessee

Anyone admit to watching this and is glad that its back?

I just love it, so much like Gilmore Girls. Just saw where Liza Weil who played (Paris) on Gilmore Girls will be on I think next weeks episode.
GO VOLS!!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:48 AM   #10

Jan 2013

me too,watched the last two episodes. I enjoyed these episodes a lot and thought they were pretty damn funny.thank you
Old 01-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
NJ

Quote:

I just love it, so much like Gilmore Girls. Just saw where Liza Weil who played (Paris) on Gilmore Girls will be on I think next weeks episode.
I admit I plan on starting it, because of that same reason...if it's really similar, I'm sure it's worth a look.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:02 AM   #12

Sep 2008

Quote:

I am happy it's back, it's one of does shows that you can just sit and relax and enjoy watching it. Hope it gets a 2nd season.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
NJ

I've finally started watching this (through Amazon). Almost done with the first season/half-season and I really love it...wish I'd started sooner.

Anyone know if they're waiting until after the 'second half' of the season ends before releasing the show on DVD?

Last edited by Hawkguy; 01-20-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #14

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFilm View Post
I've finally started watching this (through Amazon). Almost done with the first season/half-season and I really love it...wish I'd started sooner.

Anyone know if they're waiting until after the 'second half' of the season ends before releasing the show on DVD?
I think it's possible..

I really enjoyed tonight's episode, it was so much fun. But I'm worried it won't last. The ratings aren't that great....
Old 01-24-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Expert Member

Jan 2013

It's not doing that great in the ratings, what? Oh hell no, I'm enjoying this show way too much to see it go. This is probably the best TV show I've seen of recent years. And I've seen the new Doctor Who episodes and Masters of Horror.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

My wife is a fan and while I have not watched an episode I think I've listened to most of them (TV on while I'm sitting at the computer). Listening to it without the visual of the show is quite entertaining. Comical - fast paced banter between the characters is quite good at times.
Lloyd C. Cramden: Flint, How do you find time to read all these books?
Derek Flint: No, no, no, sir, I wrote those.

In Like Flint (1967)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHD View Post
I think it's possible..

I really enjoyed tonight's episode, it was so much fun. But I'm worried it won't last. The ratings aren't that great....
It's too bad about the ratings..I didn't realize it wasn't doing well. I caught up last night, and I must say..this is now one of my very favorite, most-anticipated-each-week shows on tv right now. Such consistent quality each episode, I really love it. I hope it gets a second season (anyone know how many more episodes we're getting in season 1?).
Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #18

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFilm View Post
It's too bad about the ratings..I didn't realize it wasn't doing well. I caught up last night, and I must say..this is now one of my very favorite, most-anticipated-each-week shows on tv right now. Such consistent quality each episode, I really love it. I hope it gets a second season (anyone know how many more episodes we're getting in season 1?).
5 more, they ordered 8 additional episodes.. they have aired 3 of that 8 episodes . 18 in total.

Yeah hope ABC Family gives this show a shot for a 2nd season.

Last edited by LEHD; 01-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
Expert Member

Jan 2013

There are more episodes in the works? That's good.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2011
NJ

Another fantastic episode this week...I really love this show. Even at its most unrealistic depictions of teenage life, it manages to have more genuine emotion than most other current shows I can think of. It feels like every episode ends on an increasingly high note.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Television