Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Moebius (Blu-ray)
$17.97
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-20-2013, 02:19 AM   #81
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Kiwi View Post
It raises the question of just what the heck The Fox and the Hound's camera aperature ratio was. From One Hundred and One Dalmatians up to The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, it seems clear the films were filmed in 1.33:1 and then matted theatrically to 1.75:1. In Fox's case, however, it almost looks like we're getting some weird spin-off of Super35 where both the 1.33:1 ratio and the 1.66:1 ratio lose information. What's going on there?

As to keep this post on-topic, while I'd like for Jungle Book (and the other 60s/70s films) to have both versions on disc, I support the widescreen presentation as that's how it was seen theatrically.
Just like the good ol' days of DVD . You know what's sad? The sets with both Widescreen and Fullscreen in one release were the best DVDs
Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #82
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumny View Post
Wow, that's ridiculous! I didn't even notice that while watching the movie on BD..
Well, now do you hear me when I say "printing the whole aperture" isn't a good idea for The Jungle Book? Why not just stick with what was intended for theaters? If it was good enough for Walt, it should be good enough for you, even if Walt protected for future TV airings.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:55 AM   #83
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

who wants to make a bet the commentary track on the prior DVD edition wont get ported over to the bluray edition?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #84
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Homestead, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
who wants to make a bet the commentary track on the prior DVD edition wont get ported over to the bluray edition?
Not me. Disney has yet to drop a DVD commentary for a film on Blu-ray unless they recorded a new one to replace it (like Dumbo and Sleeping Beauty). Commentaries seem to be the one safe supplement in the transfer from DVD to BD. I am willing to bet, though, that we won't get any sort of gallery on this release.
"Mustard?! Don't let's be silly!"
Old 01-20-2013, 04:15 AM   #85
Power Member

Mar 2011

I just want to know if Disney is using the Platinum transfer or not. They claim its a "all new digital restoration" for pan. If it really even is a new restoration.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:26 AM   #86

Sep 2012
Pacific City, Oregon
Send a message via Yahoo to Mason_Ireton Send a message via Skype™ to Mason_Ireton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot! View Post
Is this a notorious complainer like myself? Honestly, long story short, it would be nice to have a version that takes advantage of widescreen TVs as well as a version that shows all the artwork. Instead of the typical "Baloo's dance steps" type of extras they usually throw on things, why not something interesting and respectful. It would also add some variety for those of us who are asked to watch this repeatedly by demanding toddlers.
Zot did you not purchase the Platinum Edition?? it has some serious extras

Terry Gilkyson's Orignal Score/Songs

Disney's Kipling: Explored the difference between the Kipling novels, Bill Peet's draft and the Final Jungle Book.

Commentary with Richard Sherman/Bruce Ritherman (Wolfgang Ritherman's son) and Andreas Dejas (Animator of Scar/Jafar)

Rocky The Rhino: A semi comic friend of the Vultures, he was to be voiced by Frank Fontaine who played Crazy Guggenheim on Jackie Gleason Show

The Lure Of Jungle Book: Various animators/Film Historians discuss how Jungle Book inspired many of the Disney Renaissance Animators' careers

Makin Jungle Book: In depth look at the film's production
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #87
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
Well, now do you hear me when I say "printing the whole aperture" isn't a good idea for The Jungle Book? Why not just stick with what was intended for theaters? If it was good enough for Walt, it should be good enough for you, even if Walt protected for future TV airings.
Yeah, I agree. I think Disney should stick to the theatrical aspect ratio with everything they release. I don't mind black bars at the side of the screen.
My European Dalmatians BD wasn't enhanced in any sort of way, meaning it had black bars at the sides, but like that mattered? No way.
I'd much rather have black bars than missing information at the sides or top of the screen or both..
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 01-20-2013, 01:07 PM   #88

Sep 2011
UK

Quote:
Lnds500 posted the original screengrab of the misframed Fox and the Hound. Someone else made a gif comparison with the DVD. On the Blu, notice how they stoppped animating, inking, and painting the top of Tod's head, because you were never intended to see it.
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. But that 4x3 was clearly framed correctly and 16x9 clearly mis framed. The Jungle book 4x3 and 16x9 versions both looked framed correctly (for their respective uses) - or has anyone spotted a problem with them?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #89
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I think Disney should stick to the theatrical aspect ratio with everything they release. I don't mind black bars at the side of the screen.
My European Dalmatians BD wasn't enhanced in any sort of way, meaning it had black bars at the sides, but like that mattered? No way.
I'd much rather have black bars than missing information at the sides or top of the screen or both..
Yumny, believe it or not, the Dalmatians Blu has the same aspect ratio as the last theatrical release here in Texas back in the very early 90's. For that release, Disney released it theatrically in that "square" aspect ratio, and I remember being surprised by it in the theater (I wasn't expecting it - Fantasia had just been released in a fashion preserving the original aspect ratio, I wasn't expecting Dalmatians to be released in 1.37:1 (or whatever). I expect the U.S. Blu to do the same, and I can only imagine this debate will come up all over again.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #90
Power Member

Apr 2012
Netherlands

Quote:
Yumny, believe it or not, the Dalmatians Blu has the same aspect ratio as the last theatrical release here in Texas back in the very early 90's. For that release, Disney released it theatrically in that "square" aspect ratio, and I remember being surprised by it in the theater (I wasn't expecting it - Fantasia had just been released in a fashion preserving the original aspect ratio, I wasn't expecting Dalmatians to be released in 1.37:1 (or whatever). I expect the U.S. Blu to do the same, and I can only imagine this debate will come up all over again.
I'm afraid I don't understand your explanation. What is the original (theatrical) aspect ratio, then?
Disney Wishlist '14: Emperor's New Groove ● Frozen ● HerculesJungle Book ● Lilo and Stitch
Mary Poppins ● Robin Hood ● Tarzan ● Treasure Planet ● Wreck-it Ralph
--
Ghibli Wishlist '14: My Neighbor Totoro ● Kiki's Delivery Service ● Whisper of the Heart
Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #91
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Not even going to read the thread. I'd rather buy the live-action The Jungle Book on Blu-ray from Walt Disney Pictures over their animated version.
My DVD Collection (Keeping it separate.)
Importer supporter. & Multi-Region Capable!
The Other Stuff +132 BD's
Film grain and original cinematic audio advocate. Anti-DNR/EE. To hell with DVD, UV & Digital Copy combos. Gimme Blu-ray disc ONLY!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #92
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
Not even going to read the thread. I'd rather buy the live-action The Jungle Book on Blu-ray from Walt Disney Pictures over their animated version.
I want both.

Although I must say that I enjoyed the live action version more when I was a kid. It could be because I saw it in the theater when it was first released. I haven't seen either in quite awhile though, so I'm not sure how my childhood preferences will hold up.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #93
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't understand your explanation. What is the original (theatrical) aspect ratio, then?
Probably the widescreen aspect ratio - but the last time out, Disney released it in 1.37:1, just as you would have seen on television. Perhaps this is the "preferred" version for some reason. Can't tell you, welcome to the wacky world of Disney aspect ratios. Sounds like an excellent question to ask Disney, though.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #94
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. Please exit to the doors on your right. Make sure to collect all your belongings. Have a great day at the park!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #95

Jun 2011

Looking forward to this joining my Disney collection
Feeling Blu?
Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #96

Sep 2012
Pacific City, Oregon
Send a message via Yahoo to Mason_Ireton Send a message via Skype™ to Mason_Ireton

Quote:

What's wrong with the animated verison?, to me it's not a kid verison of the novel(s) the novels were very episodic and Walt's team managed to narrow the story by havin it be about a young man raised in the jungle yet must eventualy go back to man and they wanted to have fun with the story.

I fondly remember Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book from my childhood too, when I first saw it I was surprised to not hear any of the animals speak, but the story worked in my opinon. Hopefuly Disney will release Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book to blu round the same time/after the animated verison is released.

Actualy amazed to see that Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Book wasn't released few months after the platinum

Last edited by Mason_Ireton; 01-20-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #97

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by figrin_dan View Post
Thanks, I hadn't seen that. But that 4x3 was clearly framed correctly and 16x9 clearly mis framed. The Jungle book 4x3 and 16x9 versions both looked framed correctly (for their respective uses) - or has anyone spotted a problem with them?
I mentioned it earlier, but the existing 16x9 is a little tight on Jungle Book (ears and tails getting cut off and such). I assume they will at least pillarbox the BD slightly like Aristocats. Which might actually come out perfect, because it in need of a teensy bit of extra headroom.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 AM   #98
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zot! View Post
I mentioned it earlier, but the existing 16x9 is a little tight on Jungle Book (ears and tails getting cut off and such). I assume they will at least pillarbox the BD slightly like Aristocats. Which might actually come out perfect, because it in need of a teensy bit of extra headroom.
Yay headroom!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #99
Special Member

Dec 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyJonathan View Post
Yay headroom!
Let's hope for the most headroom possible. The max headroom, if you will.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #100
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexxriot View Post
Let's hope for the most headroom possible. The max headroom, if you will.
So much headroom that's it's cell phone ratio!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America