COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Megamind 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.70
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
Power Member

Jul 2007
Default CES 2013 (Jan. 8 - Jan 11)

What to expect at CES 2013 / Fox News

Quote:
Apple wonít be there. Nor will Google. And for the first time in many years, Microsoft wonít have its own booth. But the International Consumer Electronics Show (Jan. 8 - Jan. 11), one of the largest and longest running tech trade shows around, is still expecting one of its biggest years ever.
Hope new 3D products still have a significant presence.

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post

Hope new 3D products still have a significant presence.
They will. 4k televisions with full 1080p passive 3D, and check out Ultra-D's SeeCube for glasses free 3D with unlimited viewing angles! I will still prefer glasses because they act as the barrier between you and the effects. Glasses free does not extend out of the screen enough for my taste.

Last edited by keb33509; 01-06-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

No Apple? No Google? And Microsoft wont have it's own booth for the first time in year's? Wow! That's a switch. As for 3D having a presence? Oh trust me it will be there being featured in the new 4K tv's and I am sure in other devices as well. 3D aint going anywhere.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #4

Jun 2009
SIN CITY

came back today and 4k & 3D ruled the show.(3D still not "there")-
sharp's 8k tv was awesome ,clarity was out of this world watching 1080p right after it ,it was like bluray vs dvd.
OLED tv's looked good too and DTS new headphone X surround sounded great.
pretty good show this year.

but now I want an 8k 3D OLED tv
Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
They will. 4k televisions with full 1080p passive 3D, and check out Ultra-D's SeeCube for glasses free 3D with unlimited viewing angles! I will still prefer glasses because they act as the barrier between you and the effects. Glasses free does not extend out of the screen enough for my taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI1UE...e_gdata_player
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by besi View Post
came back today and 4k & 3D ruled the show.(3D still not "there")-
sharp's 8k tv was awesome ,clarity was out of this world watching 1080p right after it ,it was like bluray vs dvd.
OLED tv's looked good too and DTS new headphone X surround sounded great.
pretty good show this year.

but now I want an 8k 3D OLED tv
Nice. Do you need a press pass to enter the show or is it open to the general public at times also?

8K. Does it up convert blu ray 1080 or do they have a newer version of disc already in the works? Not sure how it works, first I've heard of the technology. I'm guessing it won't hit the general market for another few years. I'll bet it can still play blu ray, or will it also feature a newer disc format?

-----------
The general public likes a format to last at least 10 years before having to upgrade to the latest tech, so we'll see what happens for 3DTVs, 4k, 8k, 12k, etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 AM   #6

Jun 2009
SIN CITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Sounds good.

Nice. Do you need a press pass to enter the show or is it open to the general public at times also?

8K. Does it up convert blu ray 1080 or do they have a newer version of disc already in the works? Not sure how it works, first I've heard of the technology. I'm guessing it won't hit the general market for another few years. I'll bet it can still play blu ray, or will it also feature a newer disc format?

-----------
The general public likes a format to last at least 10 years before having to upgrade to the latest tech, so we'll see what happens for 3DTVs, 4k, 8k, 12k, etc.
the show is not open for the general public ,you have to work in the industry.
it would be pure madness if they let everyone in.

8k is 16x times the pixel resolution of hdtv-(7680x4320).
probably you will need terabytes to hold a movie in 8k and I'm pretty sure they have to come up with something new to hold that amount of data.discs simply wouldn't work.
you have to see it up close to believe,how good it looks.from 4-5 inch I couldn't see any pixels.actually I almost get motion sickness.its like looking through a window.
they just started talking about 4k tv's coming out this year so I think it will need another 10-15 years to see them on the shelves.
so the tecnology is way ahead ,the only problem is the source material.(and $$)
if you come to Vegas next January I'll give you my CES pass.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Power Member

Jul 2007

3D Did Not Headline CES 2013, But it was Well Represented

Quote:
3D technology and products were clearly well represented, but did not command the headlines they have at past CES events. But thatís just fine. It proves that 3D is moving beyond the introductory hype phase into a sustainable, product, market and technology development phase.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
Old 01-19-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by besi View Post
the show is not open for the general public ,you have to work in the industry.
it would be pure madness if they let everyone in.

8k is 16x times the pixel resolution of hdtv-(7680x4320).
probably you will need terabytes to hold a movie in 8k and I'm pretty sure they have to come up with something new to hold that amount of data.discs simply wouldn't work.
you have to see it up close to believe,how good it looks.from 4-5 inch I couldn't see any pixels.actually I almost get motion sickness.its like looking through a window.
they just started talking about 4k tv's coming out this year so I think it will need another 10-15 years to see them on the shelves.
so the tecnology is way ahead ,the only problem is the source material.(and $$)
if you come to Vegas next January I'll give you my CES pass.
Thanks for the info! That sounds amazing. I remember thinking the same thing back when I first saw "Cars HD" playing on a new HDTV in Best Buy, which finally convinced me there is a very noticeable difference between standard and Hi Def. And just when I thought 1920x1080 were large enough file dimensions. 7680x4320

Good stuff.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by canotryss View Post
yeah,hey just started talking about 4k tv's coming out this year so I think it will need another 10-15 years to see them on the shelves
They started talking about 3-D Blu just after Christmas in 2009, introduced it in 2010, and it was the default by September of the same year.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Special Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
They started talking about 3-D Blu just after Christmas in 2009, introduced it in 2010, and it was the default by September of the same year.
True, but that was an alteration to an existing disc format, and 3DTV had already been in the works for a couple of years. This will require a whole new disc format or other distribution system, not to mention that content is ridiculously limited - most movies are still mastered at 2K in post-production, for one. And it'd take massive amounts of bandwidth for digital cable and satellite providers to broadcast 4K.

4K TVs will be out this year, that much was confirmed... but they'll be glorified upscalers for the next year or two at least with very, very few real viewing options.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post

4K TVs will be out this year, that much was confirmed... but they'll be glorified upscalers for the next year or two at least with very, very few real viewing options.
Definitely Glorified upscalers for the 2D enthusiast, but for 3D, - the new tech will be state of the Art 1080P passive native-per-eye gems for any & all 3D enthusiasts! Personally, I love the silver lining around the dark cloud. I'm just trying to understand the misnomer between 4K and UHD and which one will truly make passive 1080P per eye, native?

Paul
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Special Member

Oct 2008

I know about the passive 3D potential and I love 3D myself... but has anyone actually announced this is something their set can do? I've read plenty of theorizing but I must have missed any actual announcement.

As for 4K vs. UHD, they're the same... sort of. "4K" originally refers to digital cinema projection, filming, and mastering, where it's measured by width and refers to images 4,096 pixels wide. The "4K" comes from it being slightly above 4,000 pixels wide. "Consumer Grade 4K", which is what all 4K TVs use, is actually only 3840 x 2160. That's 1080p doubled horizontally and vertically for easy scaling, giving a 4x overall resolution and making "4K" something of a misnomer. Consumer Grade 4K is one of two standards that fall under the "UHD / Ultra High Definition" banner, the other being "8K", which is Consumer Grade 4K doubled horizontally and vertically to 7680 x 4320 (again making the "8K" misleading since it's well under 8,000 pixels wide, but oh well).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion