Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays

Old 01-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Dec 2012
Default Does Passive popout as much as active 3d?

I am dissapointed with the lack of popout, I watched Harold and kumar 3D on VOD and it hardly popped out. On journey to the center of earth 3D BD it pops out, but only like a foot out of screen at most. I sit 8 feet from my 47LM6700, and I have no idea how people say that there are popouts that are inches from their face? What is my problem? Is it the 3D content, or is active better than popouts than passive?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2011

Active/passive pop out the same. However, some may be a little more so than others depending on brand, model, etc. Pop will not be the same for every film. It depends on how far they push it. Harold and Kumar has a lot of pop out moments, but they don't really extend very far past the screen, if at all. Passive has been praised as having a better sense of depth by many reviewers. Hope this helps.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #3

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
Active/passive pop out the same. However, some may be a little more so than others depending on brand, model, etc. Pop will not be the same for every film. It depends on how far they push it. Harold and Kumar has a lot of pop out moments, but they don't really extend very far past the screen, if at all. Passive has been praised as having a better sense of depth by many reviewers. Hope this helps.
Do you have a LG cinema3d tv? What is a movie that has popouts that go furthest out of the screen?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickachicka54 View Post
Do you have a LG cinema3d tv? What is a movie that has popouts that go furthest out of the screen?
Yes, I have a first gen LG 3D. I have experienced 3D on both active/passive. If you want pop, get Sammy's adventure 1&2 at dddhouse.com, and maybe journey 2. Not many movies are going for pop very much anymore. You could also try Hugo, My Bloody Valentine, and the 3D resident evil movies (but I don't think res pushes it far enough either).
Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Sunny California

What made me buy an LG was the Imax Under the Sea with the Cod coming all the way out the screen.
TV:LG "55" LW5600 LED 3D 120Hz
TV:Samsung "46" B610 LCD 120hz
Receiver:Pioneer VSK-1021-K 7.1
Speakers:Polk Audio RM6750 5.1
BLU-RAY:PS3 Slim 160GB Sony BDP-S360
X-Box 360 Slim 250GB
X-Box 360 Elite 120GB
Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #6

Dec 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
Yes, I have a first gen LG 3D. I have experienced 3D on both active/passive. If you want pop, get Sammy's adventure 1&2 at dddhouse.com, and maybe journey 2. Not many movies are going for pop very much anymore. You could also try Hugo, My Bloody Valentine, and the 3D resident evil movies (but I don't think res pushes it far enough either).
does active pop out more than passive?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2011

Quote:
does active pop out more than passive?
No, already answered that. They are the same. Each brand or model of any television will have its own limitations. It's your money though. Feel free to get an active set to try. You may like it better anyway. Do NOT expect every movie to have pop, or you will be disappointed. It is about depth now days.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

it would be nice if studios released some 3d cheese from the 80s. now those were the POP years. does anybody remember an indiana jones type adventure story? every other shot had crazy pop. anyway, like peeps already said - its not so much the tv but the style and technique used today. pop is just not as popular with film makers (unfortunately to me).
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #9

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac213 View Post
What made me buy an LG was the Imax Under the Sea with the Cod coming all the way out the screen.
Same here, besides the type of glasses. I've tried all different type of settings and can't achieve the same pop out as that damn fish! For all intents and purposes, my setup is better than the stores. So why did it pop at the store and not really at home? I'd like to take a look at that same shot at home, but don't wanna buy that blu-ray just for that. I've got a few blu's that have pop, but not to the extent I want/expect and should have.

To the comment above mine, I totally agree. I want them to also re-release Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare with the last 10 minutes being in 3D, because my dvd copy looks like crap on this new tv and the 3D just does not work.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias77 View Post
Same here, besides the type of glasses. I've tried all different type of settings and can't achieve the same pop out as that damn fish! For all intents and purposes, my setup is better than the stores. So why did it pop at the store and not really at home? I'd like to take a look at that same shot at home, but don't wanna buy that blu-ray just for that. I've got a few blu's that have pop, but not to the extent I want/expect and should have.

To the comment above mine, I totally agree. I want them to also re-release Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare with the last 10 minutes being in 3D, because my dvd copy looks like crap on this new tv and the 3D just does not work.
but are you comparing your tv by using that same scene with the cod? if no, then its obvious why you dont get the same pop. different sources yield different results.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #11

May 2011
SO. CAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac213 View Post
I thought this was the best part of the entire movie.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 AM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I am dissapointed with the lack of popout, I watched Harold and kumar 3D on VOD and it hardly popped out. On journey to the center of earth 3D BD it pops out, but only like a foot out of screen at most. I sit 8 feet from my 47LM6700, and I have no idea how people say that there are popouts that are inches from their face? What is my problem? Is it the 3D content, or is active better than popouts than passive?
pop out/in will depend on content( is it meant to pop out), screen size( are you watching a 10' screen or a 10" screen, you can't pop out 10' from a 10" screen) and your own visual ability (some people can't see 3d at all so they would not see pop out) and not passive or active.

In order to understand pop out and in do this, put your arm out (as if you would be pointing right to something far but in front of your nose) and raise your finger. Now close one of your eyes, what happens to your nose? what happens to something far away? now open that eye and close the other one, what happens to your nose and to that object far away? if asomething is more or less even in the view from both eyes then they will apear to be screen distance, the farther one is from the other the more "pop" it will have, and in witch direction will determine in or out (like you saw with your nose and that far away object). That is why pop out (or in) will depend on the set size (with a 10" wide display that distance can't be 10' even if one is completely left or completely right).

Now that being said some displays do have image manipulation where you can increase or decrease that difference (at least for on screen 2D conversions), but as long as you (or the display) don't mess around with the image in the movie, there should not be a difference

Also, as Keb said most newer filming has moved away from the insane unrealistic pop out that was almost standard over a decade ago in older slasher or comedies.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #13

Nov 2011
Seattle, WA

Yeah I never understood this whole new 3D industry, they advertise 3D as something coming out of your TV yet all the fricking movies are more like looking inside of your box.. Its like I'm watching it form farther away goddammit!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
pop out/in will depend on content( is it meant to pop out), screen size( are you watching a 10' screen or a 10" screen, you can't pop out 10' from a 10" screen) and your own visual ability (some people can't see 3d at all so they would not see pop out) and not passive or active.

In order to understand pop out and in do this, put your arm out (as if you would be pointing right to something far but in front of your nose) and raise your finger. Now close one of your eyes, what happens to your nose? what happens to something far away? now open that eye and close the other one, what happens to your nose and to that object far away? if asomething is more or less even in the view from both eyes then they will apear to be screen distance, the farther one is from the other the more "pop" it will have, and in witch direction will determine in or out (like you saw with your nose and that far away object). That is why pop out (or in) will depend on the set size (with a 10" wide display that distance can't be 10' even if one is completely left or completely right).

Now that being said some displays do have image manipulation where you can increase or decrease that difference (at least for on screen 2D conversions), but as long as you (or the display) don't mess around with the image in the movie, there should not be a difference

Also, as Keb said most newer filming has moved away from the insane unrealistic pop out that was almost standard over a decade ago in older slasher or comedies.
While this is a good explanation of the underlying optics, I found that display resolution, sharpness also play a major role in enhancing the popout. I tried a 720p DLP projector which did not show much popout while a 1080p DLP radically popped out on the same scene.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #15

Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Hello, you might want to check out Monsters vs Aliens. This movie had a lot of 3d pop out effects. The kid with the paddle ball comes right to your face, the sargeant character is just hanging there right in front of your face, when the girl is holding the gun and etc...

Also, my 3d settings are slight more aggressive from default. Having said that, I lost my zest for popout effects and prefer a movie with more depth in the scenes.
Love 3D technology and am addicted to it.
My Growing SA-CD collection
http://www.sa-cd.net/library/9866/1
Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #16

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Yeah I never understood this whole new 3D industry, they advertise 3D as something coming out of your TV yet all the fricking movies are more like looking inside of your box.. Its like I'm watching it form farther away
+1 Gazillion
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D TVs, Projectors and Displays