Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Garfield 1 & 2: Fat Cat Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$9.98
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 01-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Fiddler's Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert De Niro View Post
The Sony HX850 tv is the highest rated LED of the year. Do some research. I bought mine(46 inch) day after Christmas for $1600 and i love it. Perfect picture quality, especially with blu-ray and perfect for gaming with no noticable input lag. It's an amazing TV.
I like what I've read about the HX850 but that's too much money for me right now. Good suggestion, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyink View Post
...but to your statement about the LG not handling motion on screen as well... could it be you had TruMotion on?
There is no option to turn on/off TruMotion on the LS4500. It's always on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
...Panasonics are very good, reliable TVs! I had mines for 3 years, and its still work perfect, and have a beautiful picture. Everyone will recommend Panasonic!
Panasonic, Sony and Vizio are the next three TVs I'm going to try next before completely giving up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Oh and while not everyone has the same means, $700 will not get you in the best performers class, depending on size, but if you can stretch a bit why not go with a proven winner the Panasonic TC-P50ST50 or in your range the Panasonic TC-P50UT50. I suggest you go read real reviews about them. With so many plasma owners here, if the tech sucked believe me you would have read it here IMO
My budget for a "good" TV is around $700-$750 MAX. I've read that the TC-P50ST50 is good but it's out of my price range. The TC-P50UT50 has poor blacks in bright rooms and no advanced PQ controls.

If I did end up getting a plasma I would get an extended warranty but for now, I'm going to try finding an LED from Panasonic, Sony and Vizio and cross my fingers.
Let the Art Flow Over You.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellamorte13 View Post
If I did end up getting a plasma I would get an extended warranty but for now, I'm going to try finding an LED from Panasonic, Sony and Vizio and cross my fingers.
Fair enough Though I actually wonder how washed out blacks on the UT plasma would compare to same level led lcd . I do have a buddy who wants a new set and even if plasma in his case (room and budget, ST or 6500) are the best sets out there, he just is a Sharp fanboy. How do the Sharps hold up as I've not seen many or even any threads on them.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Fiddler's Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Fair enough Though I actually wonder how washed out blacks on the UT plasma would compare to same level led lcd . I do have a buddy who wants a new set and even if plasma in his case (room and budget, ST or 6500) are the best sets out there, he just is a Sharp fanboy. How do the Sharps hold up as I've not seen many or even any threads on them.
If you're asking me, I haven't the foggiest because I haven't tried Sharp. They're not really a brand that comes to my mind when thinking about buying a TV.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #24
Banned

Jan 2013
The Backwoods.

Samsung all the way, even $ony can't compare (their blacks are awful) LG is strait up garbage, never buy crappy brands, it'll cost you in the long run.

Go with the Samsung, especially with that 240hz refresh-rate it will look brilliant, you won't be disappointed. I have a 46" Samsung Smart 3DTV and I'm trying to get another one as we speak just 55" and 240hz.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #25
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Fiddler's Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManMarz View Post
Samsung all the way, even $ony can't compare (their blacks are awful) LG is strait up garbage, never buy crappy brands, it'll cost you in the long run.

Go with the Samsung, especially with that 240hz refresh-rate it will look brilliant, you won't be disappointed. I have a 46" Samsung Smart 3DTV and I'm trying to get another one as we speak just 55" and 240hz.
I would buy another Samsung if I were assured that the viewing angle is better and that the auto brightness issue was corrected.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #26
Banned

Jan 2013
The Backwoods.

Quote:
I would buy another Samsung if I were assured that the viewing angle is better and that the auto brightness issue was corrected.
Never noticed those issues, personally. I don't think you'll have a problem with the newer model smart tvs, I think the only complaint I'd share is the sound quality on LEDs (probably because they're so thin).
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #27
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Fiddler's Green

Quote:
Never noticed those issues, personally. I don't think you'll have a problem with the newer model smart tvs, I think the only complaint I'd share is the sound quality on LEDs (probably because they're so thin).
The one I had that had those issues was the UNEH6000 and I bought it at the end of November. From what I've read, Samsung has adopted this automatic brightening technology so it's a safe bet that their TVs will be terrible for a while.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:

Sonys blacks are awful? Have you bothered to see their HX850 and HX750 models? I have the 46HX750 Sony LED/3D tv and the blacks are very very good. From what I understand the HX850's blacks are even better. So to say the Sonys blacks are awful is a little out there if you ask me.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S5100 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer HTP-071 Surround Sound System.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #29
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Fiddler's Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Sonys blacks are awful? Have you bothered to see their HX850 and HX750 models? I have the 46HX750 Sony LED/3D tv and the blacks are very very good. From what I understand the HX850's blacks are even better. So to say the Sonys blacks are awful is a little out there if you ask me.
I actually like the HX750 but it's too much money for me right now. I'm just about to move and I need to keep my TV spending to about $800.

-

I went by my local Frys and saw a few TVs that caught my eye. I brought my LG remote and played with some LG's settings, plus I got to see which ones actually have an option for turning TruMotion on/off.

So far, I'm looking at the 47LM6700 and possibly the 47LM8600. Both have extensive PQ/Sound options and look great!
It was also awesome that Frys had sports and some movies playing instead of the usual company produced garbage that Target and Best Buy have. Those things are always bright and never show you what a TV's blacks look like.

So what do you think? LM6700 or LM8600?

Does anyone have these models and what do you think of them?

P.S. - I'm also looking at a couple of different Sonys (KDL46EX640 & KDL45HX750).
Old 01-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #30
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Fiddler's Green

Bump.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #31

Mar 2010

Quote:
I actually like the HX750 but it's too much money for me right now. I'm just about to move and I need to keep my TV spending to about $800.

-

I went by my local Frys and saw a few TVs that caught my eye. I brought my LG remote and played with some LG's settings, plus I got to see which ones actually have an option for turning TruMotion on/off.

So far, I'm looking at the 47LM6700 and possibly the 47LM8600. Both have extensive PQ/Sound options and look great!
It was also awesome that Frys had sports and some movies playing instead of the usual company produced garbage that Target and Best Buy have. Those things are always bright and never show you what a TV's blacks look like.

So what do you think? LM6700 or LM8600?

Does anyone have these models and what do you think of them?

P.S. - I'm also looking at a couple of different Sonys (KDL46EX640 & KDL45HX750).
I have LG 60LM7200.. don't have any experience with the models you are considering but given my experience with LG 3D LED TV so far, i'd say go for it.. between the two though, I dont know what's the tech/spec difference but 6700 should be enough I think. Either way, you will probably have to look into calibrating the TV to get the best result and there's probably calibration guide for 6700 series somewhere on the internet.
If you can check it out in person, look for the level of reflection.. mine is more reflective than I would prefer during day time. If that's not an issue for you then I think you are good to go.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #32

Dec 2012
South Tx

My brand is Vizio only my little girls 22" TV is is a Samsung but I will keep shopping Vizio since I have never had any problems with them.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #33
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Fiddler's Green

Thanks guys! I'm waiting to move into my new apartment later today so I can open my 6700 (I can finally hook up my HT!!!! ).

I saw it at Frys and there was actually a variety of lighting which was great, unlike Target or Best Buy which are nothing but bright.

My only concern, before I open the box is the magic wand remote. Since my old LG remote worked on this TV at Frys, I'm assuming that universal remotes will work on this TV. It's not like I am going to use any of the apps; I just want to watch BDs.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #34
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Fiddler's Green

So my only real problem with the LG LM6700 is the terrible flashlighting, especially because it is really noticeable in a semi dark room. The patches of light look bad especially if the movie fades to black or the credits roll.

I really like everything about this TV and Cont want to take it back since I've already returned two others and the stress regarding finding a good one is starting to get to me. Can anyone recommend a similar TV without flashlighting but with all of the good things this LG has to offer?

I won't do plasmas and I only have about $800 to spend.
I'm seriously sick of buying and returning constantly.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #35
Special Member

Jun 2010

Agree with the above that plasma is the way to go if viewing angles are so important. For me they're moot as I only watch from the couch directly in front of the TV. Really no other options for sitting and watching in my small condo.

The fragility argument is pretty moot. Just make sure it's somewhere it isn't going to get knocked off a stand or cabinet. And LCD isn't really that much more likely to survive a hard fall as all TVs are pretty fragile.

And I say that all as an LCD/LED guy who has tried plasma twice and returned them both times. But fragility wasn't a reason. I was annoyed by buzzing both times (and on friends plasmas)--just seems I'm very sensitive to hearing it and being annoyed buy it. And I also had IR issues as I play a lot of games and watch a ton of ESPN (almost always on in the back ground). I also like keeping the blinds open as I have a nice view and plasmas aren't great in sunlight.

So plasma's just don't work for me. But even with those annoyances I'll freely admit I liked the picture quality better on the plasmas than on the LCD/LED sets I've had. So I'd go with them if not for the buzzing annoyances and IR tenancies from my usage habits. But I couldn't live with those things, and I'm not much of a videophile anyway so LED sets are currently the best fit for me. I have the 55" Panny ET5 currently and love it.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #36
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Fiddler's Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Agree with the above that plasma is the way to go if viewing angles are so important.
The viewing angles of the LM6700 aren't that bad to where I would return it just for that.
The only issue that I would be returning it for is the awful flashlighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0237.jpg (109.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0239.jpg (96.7 KB, 8 views)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs