Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Senran Kagura Ninja Flash!: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$40.29
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
Special Member

Nov 2009
Default Mutlichannel Analog Inputs Basic Questions

I just received my Oppo BDP-103 and have been pondering how best to connect it to my Marantz SR5005 for MUSIC. I will be using HDMI for audio and video for movies. But for music, I wish to utilize the DAC on the Oppo.

So here are my questions:

1. For 2 channel (stereo) music, should I connect the front left/right (FL/FR) output of the Oppo to the multichannel input (just the FL/FR) or the CD analogue FR/FL input on my AVR?

2. Does the my Marantz (or any AVR) treat the multichannel inputs differently from the other analogue inputs such as CD, VCR, DVD, etc? I know the multichannel has more channels (duh), but I have heard/read that Audyssey (EQ), subwoofer management (crossover), and speaker distances are all bypassed if you use the multichannel inputs. Is this true? Unfortunately, very little is mentioned on the Marantz manual concerning the multichannel inputs.

3. What are the advantages or disadvantages of using the multichannel input vs the regular analogue CD inputs for just the FR/FL? This question is essentially to cover anything I may not be considering... which being a newb is likely.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by Kali157; 01-21-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Yes, the multichannel inputs bypass the digital circuitry used for room correction, bass management and other such processing. With multichannel, all of those tasks are performed by the player.

If you use the receiver's stereo inputs, the AVR will convert analog back to digital in order to do its own processing. But, of course, that means you are no longer using the Oppo's DACs.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Yes, the multichannel inputs bypass the digital circuitry used for room correction, bass management and other such processing. With multichannel, all of those tasks are performed by the player.

If you use the receiver's stereo inputs, the AVR will convert analog back to digital in order to do its own processing. But, of course, that means you are no longer using the Oppo's DACs.

Exactly but you can just use the cd input and go direct mode and enjoy your Oppos Dac. But my advise is to just try all 3 ways and see which one you prefer as room correction might give you the best results depending on your room. While I don't have high end gear, for me the room correction gives me the best results even for music.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

From the AVR end, using the stereo inputs in Direct mode is likely the same as using the L/R multichannel inputs. They both bypass the reveiver's digital processing and turn the AVR into an amp.

There may be differences, though, on the Oppo end when it comes to the stereo and L/R multichannel outputs.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
Special Member

Nov 2009

Thanks for the responses. So if I plug the Oppo to the CD analogue L/R inputs, then the AVR bypasses the Oppo's DACs as well (unless it is in direct mode)? Does the AVR digitalize the analogue signal from the Oppo then applies the AVR's DACs?

Thanks for the help guys, any clarification is appreciated. Still learning.

Edit: just realized something: If plugging in the Oppo to a regular AVR analogue L/R inputs (not multichannel) bypasses the player's DAC, then how can someone use the Oppo's DAC if the AVR does not have an multichannel input? Most receivers now do not include a multichannel connection. Is there another way to use the Oppo's DAC?

Last edited by Kali157; 01-22-2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
From the AVR end, using the stereo inputs in Direct mode is likely the same as using the L/R multichannel inputs. They both bypass the reveiver's digital processing and turn the AVR into an amp.

There may be differences, though, on the Oppo end when it comes to the stereo and L/R multichannel outputs.

For the 103, there is only one set of L/R outputs... or did I not understand that?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

When using the standard L/R inputs, the AVR doesn't bypass the Oppo's DACs. Rather, the AVR converts the Oppo analog input back to digital in order to do processing such as bass management and room correction. Then, the receiver uses its own DACs for the conversion back to analog. Any advantage from the Oppo's analog outputs is undone by the ADC/DAC conversions in the receiver. Similarly, using the Direct setting in the AVR skips those conversions on the standard stereo inputs. The AVR simply amplifies the analog output of the Oppo.

Remember, if you are using the Oppo's multichannel analog output or the AVR's Direct setting for L/R stereo, you need to do all of the speaker configuration in the Oppo since the AVR's settings are bypassed.

I am not familiar with the Oppo 103, but I see that, as Kali157 says, it uses the MCH FL/FR for stereo. So, unlike some other players, it looks like there's no difference in those outputs.

Last edited by BIslander; 01-22-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #8
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
When using the standard L/R inputs, the AVR doesn't bypass the Oppo's DACs. Rather, the AVR converts the Oppo analog input back to digital in order to do processing such as bass management and room correction. Then, the receiver uses its own DACs for the conversion back to analog. Any advantage from the Oppo's analog outputs is undone by the ADC/DAC conversions in the receiver. Similarly, using the Direct setting in the AVR skips those conversions on the standard stereo inputs. The AVR simply amplifies the analog output of the Oppo.

Remember, if you are using the Oppo's multichannel analog output or the AVR's Direct setting for L/R stereo, you need to do all of the speaker configuration in the Oppo since the AVR's settings are bypassed.

I am not familiar with the Oppo 103, but I see that, as Kali157 says, it uses the MCH FL/FR for stereo. So, unlike some other players, it looks like there's no difference in those outputs.
Thank you for the clarification. I will try the multichannel and compare to plain L/R and HDMI.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers