Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$90.34
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rocky: Heavyweight Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
Special Member

Apr 2011
Default Is Blu-ray here to stay?

Watching films and series in HD on Blu-ray (and for this matter also HD-DVD) is pretty damn enjoyable, but I was wondering if BD will at some point become obsolete?

I know that once there's better tech the inferior will phase out, but people invested on Blu-ray and companies too so it's a shame to discontinue it.

50 GB discs should be more than enough for HD films and series.

P.S.: DVD is still alive, a couple more years and then that's it, I suppose.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
Watching films and series in HD on Blu-ray (and for this matter also HD-DVD) is pretty damn enjoyable, but I was wondering if BD will at some point become obsolete?

I know that once there's better tech the inferior will phase out, but people invested on Blu-ray and companies too so it's a shame to discontinue it.

of course it's gonna be replaced, that's the way of technology. something newer, and better comes along and the old is kicked to the curb.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Banned

Nov 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post

Blu-ray will be the last physical format we will see.. down the road we will see blu-ray 4k and digital of course
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #4

Aug 2012

Logically, how many movies can you own digitally with the amount of hard drive space available now? Especially 4k format, not sure how much space that will take but if I had to guess based on the size of the image and the clarity I'd say about 30 Terabytes or so. Based on the fact that a 2 minute trailer of Spider-Man in 4k takes up 500GB. Thats my guess, maybe more. Sounds ridiculous at this point but who knows. Im happy with blu-ray. I love my HT setup, I can't see myself buying all my movies again...but then again I probably said the same thing about DVD.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
Blu-ray will be the last physical format we will see.. down the road we will see blu-ray 4k and digital of course
that's still debatable. IMO electronic sell through is going NOWHERE. I can see the rental market relying heavily on digital distribution, but sell through. not gonna happen. digital sell through's profit has been stale the last several years (and that doesn't even take into effect all the ISPs REALLY cracking down on bandwidth)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Disc media is here to stay. For many, many more years.

Relax and collect your favorite films

Pro-B
Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Banned

Nov 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
that's still debatable. IMO electronic sell through is going NOWHERE. I can see the rental market relying heavily on digital distribution, but sell through. not gonna happen. digital sell through's profit has been stale the last several years (and that doesn't even take into effect all the ISPs REALLY cracking down on bandwidth)
ehh digital is never taking over... ever
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Disc media is here to stay. For many, many more years.

Relax and collect your favorite films

Pro-B
My sentiments exactly. There's a place in the market for digital streaming services and all, but people like to buy and own physical copies. They probably always will, too.
2012 favs: Prometheus, Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures, Universal Classic Monsters, The Terminator (UK), E.T. (digibook), JAWS (digibook), Walking Dead Season 2 w/ Zombie Head, Full Metal Jacket (digibook), Star Trek TNG Season 1, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Casablanca, Game of Thrones Season 1, Cleopatra (UK)
Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Since I have lazy eye and, as such, cannot get the full effect of 3D movies, I'm inclined to think that 2D Blu-rays will be the definitive format for my movie viewing experience for a long long time. This is why I recently jumped aboard at long last.

I'm hard-pressed to think of how the movies in my collection will ever look noticeably better to my eyes than they do right now.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:01 AM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
agree with this and even at that, look at Netflix, it still has a lot of disk members, kiosks are still appearing in new places. digital is safe for rental and doing better than EST, but I don't see disk rental disappearing in any foreseeable future
Old 01-17-2013, 03:26 AM   #11

Feb 2009

How else am I going to get 1080p video and lossless audio? People say streaming is the future of home video and they're probably right. However, the technology just doesn't exist to stream 4.5MB/s (BD bitrate) effectively. When 4K becomes standard we will all need terabit internet connections. The bandwidth data numbers of 4K video are scary. No currently internet connection could handle it. You think your awesome 100 megabit college internet connection could work? Think again. A compressed 4K video signal is roughly 2 gigabits/second. You streaming nerds have a lot of work ahead of you if you like high quality video. Physical media is the way to go for video/audiophiles. BD will be a legitimate medium as long as they add more layers.

Last edited by Bugalaman; 01-17-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #12

Jan 2013
S C U N T H O R P E, England

im sure that it wouldnt make any difference to the eye..... we wont be able to tell the difference between 1080p and anything higher.. our vision is just not good enough...
Old 01-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
im sure that it wouldnt make any difference to the eye..... we wont be able to tell the difference between 1080p and anything higher.. our vision is just not good enough...
wrong. I can already tell the diff between 1080p and 4K material. demoed it and it's obvious
Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #14

Mar 2012
GREAT, GREAT Britain :)

Quote:
wrong. I can already tell the diff between 1080p and 4K material. demoed it and it's obvious
I'm inclined to agree with clarky on this point although maybe your referring to demo's of 4K in the cinema were 4K belongs. Your eye can not differentiate between 1080p and 4K on your home 32" ( I will post the link were I have read this later. ).
Latest Arrival - Hi Def Ninja Ex#1 No. 330... Drive FS Slipcover :D.
On its way :)..On a Hiatus..

New WANT - Sleeping Beauty Steelbook

Sale/Trade Thread - http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=212152
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunny_Collector View Post
I'm inclined to agree with clarky on this point although maybe your referring to demo's of 4K in the cinema were 4K belongs. Your eye can not differentiate between 1080p and 4K on your home 32" ( I will post the link were I have read this later. ).
So what, you're saying that the majority of consumers who own HDtv's own 32" panels?
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avp/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge protector/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #16

Mar 2012

Haha. Jesus some people enjoy a good show off about there home cinema. I was just generalising I for one have 37" . but I would say the majority of us have between 28" and 50" by which my point is based. I never once said everyone had 32" ( even thou you read it somewhere ).
I only base my post on studies I have researched in this field.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #17

Mar 2012

I'm not saying 4K won't replace BR because it will but I'm just saying that there's no need to upgrade. .

And when you get your 4k system running. I expect an invite. . Haha.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
I was demoing on a 55 inch TV (which is now the average HDTV size that consumers buy) and at 55 inches it was still VERY noticeable
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #19

Mar 2012

Quote:
55 inch TV (which is now the average HDTV size that consumers buy)
That has to be one of the most ridiculous comment I have ever read. Honestly why have you made that statistic up???

Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #20

Nov 2012

Quote:
That has to be one of the most ridiculous comment I have ever read. Honestly why have you made that statistic up???
Most data I've seen says the most popular screen size is still around 32". With prices always dropping, I guess it will slowly increase

Last edited by biznus97; 01-22-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion