Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
I, Robot 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Say
$29.99
The Assassins (Blu-ray)
$6.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 01-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #81

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo man View Post
There are more intelligent ways to reply and not a great way to get along with others. You could have went with your own DBT results showing them here before calling out bs. Maybe your upset nobody told you back then it is a subtle difference or none at all. Here is your words from another forum:

"I am not sure how interesting it is?

I wish it was all in one but with Dolby Digital laserdisc, DTS HD, PCM from LD...just would not work with one receiver unless I bought a demodulator, but that would just add up.

I have at least 150 Dolby Digital laserdiscs, I want to use them wherever I want and get my money's worth. I also wanted DTS MA for my new movies..I also happened to have an Elite reference player, so that is hard to give up.

The only issue I have noticed is that my new Yamaha does not seperate LD PCM into four channels, it reads it as two channels. So, all LD sound (except DTS ld) goes into my Elite, then into the Yamaha."

I guess your still enjoying your laserdisc days and there is nothing wrong with that but I mean why waste energy on DTS MA. Move on or educate others in a civil manner why there is no difference. I am sure Prerich got offended when you called bs and we are all adults here. BIslander's approach was a lot less antagonistic and I respected him for that.

Anyways, I had fifth element on laserdisc but sold that equipment along with the laserdisc but I will admit that that viewing of the movie on that format got me hooked to HT. I might not have the best system out there but always trying to improve.
No probs Solo, being a Klipsch-head, I'm familiar with PWK's infamous yellow button - and you are right, I did appreciate BIslander's method much more. I wonder though, people don't understand how a sonar tech can distinguish like sounds, or that people can identify transmitters by ear, listening to multiple trasmitters simultaniously and picking each one out....these are not audiophile myths - but real, specialized humans doing this. They have a tendency to bring these talents into their civilian lives, especially if they've done it for over 10 years. These are not average listeners, they are trained to listen critically...and they tend to do it for everything -unless their hearing goes first. Every small detail is listened for, and sometimes it can be a curse - it makes it hard to just listen, or to not be nosy when hearing private conversations in public - it becomes instinct.

I thank you for your statement, and Pagemaster has flipped the Yellow button on me...but PKW, when he flipped it he had a face to face with the person he was calling out and he was also aware that every now and then - you come up on an exception to the average. It's rare out of the norm...but they do exist, people would be amazed at what I've seen done in my day, and as a matter of fact, I've amazed a few people myself
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC with Phonic Firefly 808 Universal Audio Interface, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.

Last edited by prerich; 01-22-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #82
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

The question is can you tell the difference with your ears on your equipment using a random sample (ABX) . This article contains links to both MAC and Windows dowloadable apps. I suggest you use Close Encounters of the Third Kind as a source. Perhaps you can answer the question is DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD better while your at it.

http://techland.time.com/2012/03/02/...d-lossy-audio/
Old 01-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #83

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygendreau View Post
The question is can you tell the difference with your ears on your equipment using a random sample (ABX) . This article contains links to both MAC and Windows dowloadable apps. I suggest you use Close Encounters of the Third Kind as a source. Perhaps you can answer the question is DTS HD MA or Dolby TrueHD better while your at it.

http://techland.time.com/2012/03/02/...d-lossy-audio/
I can answer the TrueHD vs DTS HD MA right now....I can't telll. The app you've referenced requires me to install foobar2000, I currently use jriver. This is interesting - abx testing to my system (as the article states no to earbud while jogging ).
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC with Phonic Firefly 808 Universal Audio Interface, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #84

Dec 2012
Upstate NY

God didn't bless me with discerning ears. I've never been able to hear a difference in lossless vs relatively low lossy AAC files for music. 130kbps is transparent to me. Same goes for movies....lossless...lossy just give me something that works. I'm certainly happier than those who fret about lossless audio or the lack thereof on their blu-rays.
Frogs have it easy; they eat whatever bugs them.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #85
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutra View Post
I've never been able to hear a difference in lossless vs relatively low lossy AAC files for music.
You won't be able to hear the difference for a movie if it is lossy vs lossless. Despite what some in this thread claim, they will not be able to hear the difference in a blind test.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #86
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutra View Post
God didn't bless me with discerning ears. I've never been able to hear a difference in lossless vs relatively low lossy AAC files for music. 130kbps is transparent to me. Same goes for movies....lossless...lossy just give me something that works. I'm certainly happier than those who fret about lossless audio or the lack thereof on their blu-rays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagemaster View Post
You won't be able to hear the difference for a movie if it is lossy vs lossless. Despite what some in this thread claim, they will not be able to hear the difference in a blind test.
The majority of the posts that have been coming from the both of you over the last month or so have been very antiblu-ray. I just can't help but wonder what you are doing here if all you are going to do is be negative and proceed to always tell everyone how in your opinion that the majority of blu-rays don't offer any benefit in both the audio and visual departments
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 blu-ray player (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #87

Dec 2011
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagemaster View Post
I think that depends on the test. I once did a test with music, and could discern the difference, but only if I really knew the song. For an unknown song (or movie), I think it will be very hard to tell the difference other than the increased loudness.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #88
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
The majority of the posts that have been coming from the both of you over the last month or so have been very antiblu-ray. I just can't help but wonder what you are doing here if all you are going to do is be negative and proceed to always tell everyone how in your opinion that the majority of blu-rays don't offer any benefit in both the audio and visual departments
I honestly think it's a way to convince himself that DVD is good enough since he's said multiple times he can't afford to get all the blu-rays he wants...
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #89
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert711 View Post
I think that depends on the test. I once did a test with music, and could discern the difference, but only if I really knew the song. For an unknown song (or movie), I think it will be very hard to tell the difference other than the increased loudness.
For a song, yes the difference can be heard. As for a movie, if the film is played at close to reference level and assuming that there are no changes to the mix, a Dolby 5.1 vs Dolby True HD will sound too similar to notice any difference.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #90

Aug 2011

I notice a big improvement in Dynamic Range, accuracy of dialogue reproduction, and LFE in Lossless tracks compared to the compressed version. In Lossless tracks dialogue is very lifelike, Dynamic range is startling and lastly the LFE Track is way more potent then the same Movie but on a DVD.
Canton Vento 820.2
Canton Vento 856.2
Velodyne DEQ 10"
Yamaha Aventage 810 Reciever, Sony (BDP-370)
Analysis Plus Speaker Wire/ Interconnects
Studer Revox B225
Furman Elite 15i
Focal XS Book W/ Calyx DAC
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #91
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Once again, the important comparison is not between lossless and DVD. It's between lossless and the higher bitrate lossy versions on Blu-ray.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #92
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
Once again, the important comparison is not between lossless and DVD. It's between lossless and the higher bitrate lossy versions on Blu-ray.
So many seem to disregard this though, and they assume that DVD lossy and blu-ray lossy are the same thing. I agree, it's not hard to hear the differences between DVD lossy and blu-ray lossless, anyone with decent hearing should have no problems being able to easily hear those differences if they actually pay attention. It's comparing the higher bitrate lossy tracks to the lossless tracks on blu-ray discs of the same film that is much harder to determine. Though there are good examples out there where the differences can easily be heard (just like there are also good examples where it's virtually impossible to hear a difference), such as with the Mission Impossible Trilogy. I recently purchased the Mission Impossible Scandinavian discs with lossless audio, and compared them with the lossy discs which is what is currently available in most countries for these films, and you can straight away hear the differences, no question.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 blu-ray player (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:03 PM   #93
Power Member

Jan 2012

I can't even believe there is a debate on lossy very lossless formats.
How can you not tell? Everything is smoother,more detailed,bass is punchier,the surrounds are more active. Are there a few stand out titles in lossy format that excel,yes,but most,if you have a decent setup aren't in the same league as lossless,at least to me anyhow. Everything is just clearer and has that in the room feel to it.
Going from music like 320k to Flac is another matter..
Onkyo 818
Emotiva XPA-3,UPA-200
Panasonic 60ST50 Plasma
Martin Logan EM ESL's
Martin Logan EM C2 center
Motion 4's for height speakers
Energy Veritis V-S Dipole/Bipole Surrounds
Power Sound XS30
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #94

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
I can't even believe there is a debate on lossy very lossless formats.
How can you not tell?
How can you tell? Have you done any blind, level matched tests? If not, then you really do not know. You only *think* that you know because you want to believe.

I could present you with two tracks -- one lossy, one lossless -- with a slight level difference in between them. And I could tell you that the lossy one is lossless (and vice versa). If you could reliably tell them apart, you would almost certainly say that the "lossless" one sounded superior simply because of the mental suggestion that it was lossless.

Folks, unless you are at least an advanced amateur with some experience in audio and/or electrical engineering, you cannot make these comparisons at home. Your unmatched, sighted comparisons do not mean jack squat.

AJ
Old 01-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #95
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

JVC DLA-X35B 3D Projector, Elunevisions Reference 92 inch 4K Tab-Tensioned, Goldenear Triton II's, Goldenear SuperCenter XL, Mirage OS1 X4, Mirage Nanosats Prestige X2, Monoprice 4102 in ceiling speakers X2, Power Sound Audio XS30 Dual Opposing 15 Inch Sealed Subwoofer, Onkyo TX-NR 818,Onkyo M-5010, Sony S790 , Belkin Pure AV Home Theater Power Console PF30, Xbox 360 Elite, Onkyo C7030 CD Player, Hitachi 1 Terabyte hard drive,Linksys PLK300,Nexus 7 Tablet. Sennheiser RS160 Earphones.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #96

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_debauchery View Post
If you are somehow trying to prove with that YouTube clip that lossless audio is audibly superior to lossy audio, you both succeed and fail. And the creator of the clip both succeeds and fails.

First, lossy audio transparency is largely predicated on encoder/decoder complexity and bit rate. Does the creator of the clip ever reveal the bit rate of the MP3? If not, that smacks of an attempt to stack the deck against lossy audio.

Second, the point of lossy audio compression is not to reproduce all of the received audio signal. No, the point is to use psycho-acoustics and perceptual coding to reproduce only what you can actually perceive from the recording. If you think that you perceive all of the audio information in a lossless recording, you are wrong.

If anything the signal subtraction test only goes to show how much information is embedded within a lossless audio signal that we simply cannot perceive. And, yes, I have performed a similar signal inversion test myself.

AJ
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #97

Jan 2013

Anyway, I think DOLBY DIGITAL Pulse Code sounds better than DVD.

read this topic.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=213543
-Toshiba BDX2000KU- Toshiba has little to no product support, this player began having BD playback issues a year after it was put on the market. Toshiba uses watered down audio decoders, it's just all around a lousy device.

Last edited by Redneck9; 01-26-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #98
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post
If you are somehow trying to prove with that YouTube clip that lossless audio is audibly superior to lossy audio, you both succeed and fail. And the creator of the clip both succeeds and fails.

First, lossy audio transparency is largely predicated on encoder/decoder complexity and bit rate. Does the creator of the clip ever reveal the bit rate of the MP3? If not, that smacks of an attempt to stack the deck against lossy audio.

Second, the point of lossy audio compression is not to reproduce all of the received audio signal. No, the point is to use psycho-acoustics and perceptual coding to reproduce only what you can actually perceive from the recording. If you think that you perceive all of the audio information in a lossless recording, you are wrong.

If anything the signal subtraction test only goes to show how much information is embedded within a lossless audio signal that we simply cannot perceive. And, yes, I have performed a similar signal inversion test myself.

AJ
Thanks for your insite. However, there is an audible difference between the two. What i hear is fuller sound between the two.
JVC DLA-X35B 3D Projector, Elunevisions Reference 92 inch 4K Tab-Tensioned, Goldenear Triton II's, Goldenear SuperCenter XL, Mirage OS1 X4, Mirage Nanosats Prestige X2, Monoprice 4102 in ceiling speakers X2, Power Sound Audio XS30 Dual Opposing 15 Inch Sealed Subwoofer, Onkyo TX-NR 818,Onkyo M-5010, Sony S790 , Belkin Pure AV Home Theater Power Console PF30, Xbox 360 Elite, Onkyo C7030 CD Player, Hitachi 1 Terabyte hard drive,Linksys PLK300,Nexus 7 Tablet. Sennheiser RS160 Earphones.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #99

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck9 View Post
Anyway, I think DOLBY DIGITAL Pulse Code sounds better than DVD.
There is no such format as "DOLBY DIGITAL Pulse Code." That is a simply a name that you have made up as part of your incomplete understanding.

AJ
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #100

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_debauchery View Post
Thanks for your insite. However, there is an audible difference between the two. What i hear is fuller sound between the two.
A "fuller sound" on the YouTube clip? Nothing is lossless on that clip. The audio and video are both subject to aggressive lossy compression. So, the "MP3" audio has been subject to lossy compression at least twice, while the "WAV" audio is also now lossy.

AJ
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion