COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Disney Parks: The Secrets, Stories and Magic Behind the Scenes (Blu-ray)
$9.95
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$183.99
Restored Jazz Big Band Classics (Blu-ray)
$141.30
Veep: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Earth From Above: Stunning Water (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Showdown (Blu-ray)
$37.95
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Lucy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: Assault on Arkham (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$30.99
Seattle Seahawks: Road to XLVIII (Blu-ray)
$27.49
Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #61
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
The tech that did mine stated that I could NOT change the picture settings or I would cause serious problems with the TV. is that not the case. Hell, I'm too scared to try it.
Why would you want to change the settings in the first place, after the TV has been calibrated? That would've been a waste of time and money, especially if you had to paid for it. If you were going to tinker with the video setting, then why bother having it calibrated?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 AM   #62

Feb 2012
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Why would you want to change the settings in the first place, after the TV has been calibrated? That would've been a waste of time and money, especially if you had to paid for it. If you were going to tinker with the video setting, then why bother having it calibrated?
Not that I want to change the setting. I just continue to hear negative reviews re: the BB calibration and wonder if I'm missing something. I'm not an expert on this and just want to learn more about what I can do on my own. I've shopped at BB for all of my components up until recently. Any way that I can improve my PQ and AQ and save money is a plus.
There are never failures, only challenges.

My newest addition: Sony BDP-s790 BluRay 3D 4K Player
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #63

Nov 2007
Iowa
Send a message via AIM to maygit

Ya, BB calibration is terrible. Good thing it was free as I would never have paid $250 for it. He was in and out in about 50 min, calibrated custom mode, and basically admitted up front that THX mode is better than what he'll be able to do.

I have the VT50 and love THX mode, but I also like the motion smoothing effect which is disabled in THX mode. I was hoping I would get a calibration in custom mode similar to THX, but that didn't turn out to be the case, not even close. To be honest, I preferred my calibration with a disc over best buys calibration. I asked for copies of the calibration report and he claimed he would have to submit them and I'd receive an email copy within 24 hours, haven't seen anything.

For those who have not had a professional calibration (not BB's calibration), here's what I'll say; You won't know what you are missing, but once you see it, you won't go back. Now I have not had an actual pro calibration, but I know that pros can do better than THX modes. When I used to only use a disc (pre vt50 on sony sxrd) I, like you, didn't think a pro could do much more to make it worth the price they charge. I was way wrong. Once I got my vt50, I tried calibrating multiple times with DVE, because in the store THX modes looked like sh!t, but now that i'm in home, I cannot get close to how good THX Cinema and THX Brightroom (favorite) look. It mostly has to do with how accurate the color looks, and is difficult to explain, but i'm hooked and will never use a disc again.
Panasonic 65" VT50, Pioneer Elite SC-55 (9.1), Original PS3, Xbox 360 Elite, Wii
BD's: >150, HD DVD's: 25, PS3 Games: 0(Yes, ZERO), Xbox 360 Games: 25
PSN/XBL: maygit
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #64
Expert Member

Aug 2011
USA

agreed BBY calibration is a waste of time and no one should pay for that.
Samsung 55" LED TV
Onkyo TX-NR709
PS3 Slim
Klipsch RF62 II | RC62 II | RS62 II
Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #65

Feb 2012
tennessee

I had a free best buy calibratrion done on mits 82840 yesterday.The bulb had about 600 hrs and had never been calibrated. The tech took about 2 hrs to calibrate it and the picture looks great.The guy seemed to know what he was doing. he said he had been calibrating tvs for 13 years. I have calibrated tvs before with a WOW disc, i probably could have gotten close to what he did but it would have taken me a lot longer plus it was free. Would it have been worth $300? I don't know i have never seen another ISF calibrated 82840 so i have nothing to compare it to.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion