Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada
Default PAL Question...HELP PLEASE!

I have a Seiki BD660 player which i can play all regions but there are some dvds i want to get that are PAL format, do i need a certain televison set to play PAL, I currently have a Seiki TV and a Haier,all using HDMI cables, any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I looked in my Haier manual and it says:Television System: NTSC Standard, ATSC Strandard (8-VSB, Clear-QAM)

My Seiki LC-40G69 says nothing

My Seiki bd660 player manual says : system signal PAL/NTSC under video specifications, does this mean the bd player will convert the signal before it goes to the tv and the type of tv doesn't matter?

again thanks for any help.

Last edited by Terrorfirmer; 01-23-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorfirmer View Post
I have a Seiki BD660 player which i can play all regions but there are some dvds i want to get that are PAL format, do i need a certain televison set to play PAL, I currently have a Seiki TV and a Haier,all using HDMI cables, any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I looked in my Haier manual and it says:Television System: NTSC Standard, ATSC Strandard (8-VSB, Clear-QAM)

My Seiki LC-40G69 says nothing

My Seiki bd660 player manual says : system signal PAL/NTSC under video specifications, does this mean the bd player will convert the signal before it goes to the tv and the type of tv doesn't matter?

again thanks for any help.
Since your HDTV is not PAL compatible, you will need a Pal/NTSC Video Converter for your TV, to be able to process the PAL signal from your blu-ray player. They're available at any local or online electronic stores. There are many different types at various price ranges, depending on the quality.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-23-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

I just found some info on my Seiki Tv - Built-in 3D PAL/NTSC comb filter. does this mean this tv will play PAL?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
I just found some info on my Seiki Tv - Built-in 3D PAL/NTSC comb filter. does this mean this tv will play PAL?
Unfortunately no. The benefit of having a build-in comb filter is to, reduce video noise, color bleeding, and any other video artifacts, by producing a sharper picture. You would still need a PAL converter, to process any type of PAL content.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-23-2013 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

thanks for your help slimdude.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
thanks for your help slimdude.
You're welcome.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

I'm pretty sure that player can convert PAL to NTSC. Most region free players can. You don't have any PAL discs to test with?
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
I'm pretty sure that player can convert PAL to NTSC. Most region free players can. You don't have any PAL discs to test with?
The original poster is aware that, his blu-ray player is capable of coverting PAL, but the question that he's asking is, whether or not his HDTV can also convert PAL, which it doesn't. He will need a PAL converter. To be able to view PAL content, both the blu-ray, and the TV must be PAL compliant, not only the blu-ray player.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-24-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
The original poster is aware that, his blu-ray player is capable of coverting PAL, but the question that he's asking is, whether or not his HDTV can also convert PAL, which it doesn't. He will need a PAL converter. To be able to view PAL content, both the blu-ray, and the TV must be PAL compliant, not only the blu-ray player.
Well, no actually if his player can convert PAL to NTSC then he's good to go as it will be outputting an NTSC format. However if the player can't convert to NTSC then yes he would need a converter.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM   #10
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

Well from my research and from what i've heard here and in a few other threads I think i'm going to go ahead and order the stuff i want from amazon.co.uk, if the dvds dont play ill save up and buy a converter, thanks everyone!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Well from my research and from what i've heard here and in a few other threads I think i'm going to go ahead and order the stuff i want from amazon.co.uk, if the dvds dont play ill save up and buy a converter, thanks everyone!
Do you have a link to your player somewhere? I can't find any info on it.

Edit: If Walmart's description is accurate it does have PAL-NTSC conversion. Do you have any settings in the player asking the output format, i.e. PAL or NTSC?

Last edited by pentatonic; 01-24-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Well, no actually if his player can convert PAL to NTSC then he's good to go as it will be outputting an NTSC format. However if the player can't convert to NTSC then yes he would need a converter.
Does his blu-ray player PAL/NTSC converted, or capable of playing separate PAL/NTSC video format?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

Quote:
Do you have a link to your player somewhere? I can't find any info on it.

Edit: If Walmart's description is accurate it does have PAL-NTSC conversion. Do you have any settings in the player asking the output format, i.e. PAL or NTSC?
No output format, but I found a country code list and I can choose different countrie i.e.: united states, UK., is it possible that i just put my player on the UK country code? and i did get my player at walmart, so thats lookin good.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Does his blu-ray player PAL/NTSC converted, or capable of playing separate PAL/NTSC video format?
A few days ago Walmart still had it on its site and in the description mentioned PAL to NTSC conversion so if that is right he would be good to go. It's not there anymore though.

Quote:
No output format, but I found a country code list and I can choose different countrie i.e.: united states, UK., is it possible that i just put my player on the UK country code? and i did get my player at walmart, so thats lookin good.
I would of thought they would have put an output format in which case you would have chosen NTSC and the player would then convert. maybe it just outputs NTSC then. I guess you would chose UK then. Just don't go overboard with your PAL purchases until you test it out.

There is really no info on this player anywhere
Old 01-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

There is a lenghty thread on Digital Home about it. I haven't gone through it but it is confirmed that it does do PAL to NTSC conversion. You might check there as to how to set it up. I'm not sure if it's ok to link to another forum but here goes. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=127101
Old 01-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #16
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

Quote:
There is a lenghty thread on Digital Home about it. I haven't gone through it but it is confirmed that it does do PAL to NTSC conversion. You might check there as to how to set it up. I'm not sure if it's ok to link to another forum but here goes. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=127101
WOW! thanks alot pentatonic, i really appreciate all this.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
WOW! thanks alot pentatonic, i really appreciate all this.
hey no problem, my pleasure
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 AM   #18
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

got my region 2 PAL dvds in today and i just want to confirm that YES!!! my seiki bd660 converted the PAL to NTSC, im crazy happy that this worked out thanks Pentatonic and Slimdude for your help and input.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
got my region 2 PAL dvds in today and i just want to confirm that YES!!! my seiki bd660 converted the PAL to NTSC, im crazy happy that this worked out thanks Pentatonic and Slimdude for your help and input.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion