Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist (Blu-ray)
$20.60
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Juan of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro
Default Panasonic TC-P60GT50 for $1699(new)

Im pulling the trigger on this tomorrow or saturday. From what i hear best buy will match the price from amazon. Do you think i should pass on bestbuy's extended warranty though? - what i've heard isn't necessary good about it.

EDIT: im thinking about skipping bby warranty and getting SquareTrade warranty for it.

EDIT 2- I am now the proud owner of a GT50. I was able to get it price matched no problem and qualified for special 48 month financing! I took that because now I can get a decent sound bar and entertainment center in the next few months with plenty of cash to spare to pay rent and the final few payments of my student loan !
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski

Last edited by ImStylinOnYaBro; 01-25-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
Im pulling the trigger on this tomorrow or saturday. From what i hear best buy will match the price from amazon. Do you think i should pass on bestbuy's extended warranty though? - what i've heard isn't necessary good about it.

EDIT: im thinking about skipping bby warranty and getting SquareTrade warranty for it

EDIT 2- I am now the proud owner of a GT50. I was able to get it price matched no problem and qualified for special 48 month financing! I took that because now I can get a decent sound bar since I can easily pay 200 a month on top of rent and my student loan !
Awesome! I got this t.v from BB for 1799 in August. Worth every penny. Enjoy!
Old 01-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Awesome! I got this t.v from BB for 1799 in August. Worth every penny. Enjoy!
still a steal! It arrives on January 23 to 25 since our little bby didn't have it I hope I get a set w/ no buzzing, I don't wanna have ot contact Panny right away :P
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Expert Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
still a steal! It arrives on January 23 to 25 since our little bby didn't have it I hope I get a set w/ no buzzing, I don't wanna have ot contact Panny right away :P
Haven't had any buzzing or Image retention on mine yet. I just watched all full screen movies or t.v for the first 100 hours and changed the channel a lot to be safe to age the panel. Worked for me.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
Special Member

Oct 2007

I own the gt25 set. very happy with it.

Jacob
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
Haven't had any buzzing or Image retention on mine yet. I just watched all full screen movies or t.v for the first 100 hours and changed the channel a lot to be safe to age the panel. Worked for me.
im crossing my fingers that mine doesn't have the loud buzz and need the screws or processor replaced like i've read is the typical case. im gonna marathon tv shows on blu ray for hte first 100 hours
Old 01-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Sep 2012
Santa Barbara, California

Quote:
im crossing my fingers that mine doesn't have the loud buzz and need the screws or processor replaced like i've read is the typical case. im gonna marathon tv shows on blu ray for hte first 100 hours
I hope you get a flawless set

I was at BBY the other day in the Magnolia section and they had a 50GT50 for $1,195 new! However, the display model had some SEVERE burn in! This made me not pick it up.

AV forums and reviews on line have mentioned IR problems with this model. What a shame since it is a very beautiful set. Both aesthetically and picture wise.

Best of luck to you
When I was a very small boy/
Very small boys talked to me/
Now that we've grown up together/
They're all taking drugs with me/
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

^^ yeah, we have no magnolia ones near us. I read that it is essentially the same set in terms of picture, so that is why I rolled with it. Seems though that no matter what site your at, the flaws with the sets vary. It is good to know Panasonic has good service though if there is any issues.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #9

Jan 2013

i agree it,read that it is essentially the same set in terms of picture, so that is why I rolled with it. thank you
Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Thumbs up

Just got a call from our local bby, the TV has arrived. tomorrow morning i venture out on my quest to get my new tv. btw, it arrived 3 days early
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

Quote:
Just got a call from our local bby, the TV has arrived. tomorrow morning i venture out on my quest to get my new tv. btw, it arrived 3 days early
Enjoy.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #12

Sep 2009

Kind of off topic, but was there any reason to not order from Amazon instead of price matching at Best Buy? Reason I ask is because I have Best Buy gift cards that I was going to use to buy Amazon gift cards for a TV down the road. Any issue with ordering from Amazon (shipping method, return policy, what ever)?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrLoin View Post
Kind of off topic, but was there any reason to not order from Amazon instead of price matching at Best Buy? Reason I ask is because I have Best Buy gift cards that I was going to use to buy Amazon gift cards for a TV down the road. Any issue with ordering from Amazon (shipping method, return policy, what ever)?
i had 48 month financing at bestbuy + price match, where as amazon was only 24 month, IF i appplied for a card, and i woulnd't have been garanteed a big enough limit ot even fit the tv price on the card :P
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #14
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Got the tv, all set up and running the slide show. This things picture quality brutally rapes and murders my old samsungs the sound is also staggeringly impressive compared to my samsung. I had no IR when letting it on espn for like 10 mins like some reports had or when i left the menu on for a bit. Also, on a really bright scene in "Drive Angry" i didn't hear any buzzing even when i put my ear to the screen and ear to the back of the panel .

EDIT: when hitting hte "info" button, it shows the resolution, picture mode, and full - im guessing full screen - why does it not display the hz, like 60 for tv or 24 for film?

Last edited by ImStylinOnYaBro; 01-23-2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The empire state (NYC)

Quote:
Got the tv, all set up and running the slide show. This things picture quality brutally rapes and murders my old samsungs the sound is also staggeringly impressive compared to my samsung. I had no IR when letting it on espn for like 10 mins like some reports had or when i left the menu on for a bit. Also, on a really bright scene in "Drive Angry" i didn't hear any buzzing even when i put my ear to the screen and ear to the back of the panel .

EDIT: when hitting hte "info" button, it shows the resolution, picture mode, and full - im guessing full screen - why does it not display the hz, like 60 for tv or 24 for film?
Just basing on your pics, you definitely need to piece together a HTS (and I'm not talking about a HTIB). You (and your ears) will thank me later.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Just basing on your pics, you definitely need to piece together a HTS (and I'm not talking about a HTIB). You (and your ears) will thank me later.
oh, i know right? I plan on it, trust me. I'll tell ya what though, even though its still tv speakers, they seriously are so much better than my samsungs. I really wanna try and get a 7.1 system set up I need to sound proof the room a bit though, my dad neglected to put a drop ceiling w/ acoustical tile in during the construction...and i dont want them complaining of noise.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #17
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

idk if this is cause for concern or not..but when i was walking past my tv to go to my laptop, i was RIGHT by the screen and my head was a little higher than the top of hte bezel, when looking down the screen was dark from the bottom up until about half way up the screen. when looking online, i saw there is a "dirty screen effect" I was wondering if this is it, but i don't htink it is, because when I go back to my chair, and my eyes are looking straight toward the tv, or even on the floor looking up, or on my bed at a wide viewing angle, the screen appears to be all consistent in color. Do i have reason to be concerned, or am i just worrying too much since i just bought my new tv? thanks guys
Old 01-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #18

Mar 2009

Quote:

Hello, I am having my old Sony SXRD tv being replaced with this model........it should arrive today. I am wondering what you mean by "running the slide show". I couldn't find any reference....

Thanks!
MNSACD
Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #19
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

I don't think the Panasonic sets have ever displayed the frame rate of the incoming signal when you press INFO.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #20
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

anyone have any input on that "dirty screen effect" i se when walking close by it to get to my laptop? like i said, one im in my chair at normal distance its fine. at my normal viewing istance though, if i stand up on my tip toes, i can start to see it on the bottom, and if i duck down real low near the floor it creeps down from the top. it shows when paused and i do this...im guess its because im just at such odd vertical and horrizontal angles when i walk by the tv or TRY to stand up tall an short to see if it shows?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs