COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Stargate Atlantis: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$43.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cat Planet Cuties: Complete Series S.A.V.E. (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Hook (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Rob Zombie: The Zombie Horror Picture Show (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Home for Christmas: André Rieu Live In Concert (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Old 01-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.
Default Any Suggestions?

Well my Sony BDP S570 is done. Something internally went wrong and it no longer plays and instead of spending the money to get it fixed I am just going to get another one. It did a great job for 3 years but its death means a newer model or an excuse to get a newer model. So that being said does anyone have any suggestions? Taxes come the first or second week of next month so suggestions anyone? Dont say Oppo because price wise its not in my range right now. I have been looking at the Sony 2012 line but I would like to get others opinions of LG, Panasonic ect. I am a die hard Sony guy but I am open to other Blu ray players and what I want is an all around solid playing Blu ray player with yes......3D included! So any thoughts or suggestions anyone? Let it roll.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Pioneer VSX 321 AV Receiver.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #2

Oct 2012

Well i have an LG 55lm6200 and the 3d is preyty amazing and also have the LG bluray 3d player and Lg 1100w surround sound system and it is pretty good. Like i said in the past, it took me couple of months to decide wich tv i wanted. i went to see alot of different tvs (sony, toshiba, samsung, etc.), passive and active 3d and i decided to buy an LG cinema 3d . Very good 3d after the calibration.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blae03 View Post
Well i have an LG 55lm6200 and the 3d is preyty amazing and also have the LG bluray 3d player and Lg 1100w surround sound system and it is pretty good. Like i said in the past, it took me couple of months to decide wich tv i wanted. i went to see alot of different tvs (sony, toshiba, samsung, etc.), passive and active 3d and i decided to buy an LG cinema 3d . Very good 3d after the calibration.
Not in the hunt for a tv buddy but a new Blu ray player.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

PS3?

I like the all rounder. Streaming/games/internet/DVD/BD/3D. Should communicate well with your Sony telle too. But maybe hefty in price if you don't game, and can find the other smart features in another product.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

I took a look at the new 2013 Blu ray player models from Sony and boy are they UGLY!!!! I am going to go with a 2012 model like the S590 or the S790. I got until next month to decide. And to AmrlKJaneway I aint going with a PS3 due to the fact that I aint no gamer and it would be a waste of money. I know the PS3 is good and all that but I am going to pass. Its either the S590 or the S790. I have made up my mind on Sony due to the fact that I have always had good luck with their players and I like the Bravia Sync feature where the tv and Blu ray player work together. I am really considering a Panasonic though as well. I have unitl next month to decide.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I took a look at the new 2013 Blu ray player models from Sony and boy are they UGLY!!!! I am going to go with a 2012 model like the S590 or the S790. I got until next month to decide. And to AmrlKJaneway I aint going with a PS3 due to the fact that I aint no gamer and it would be a waste of money. I know the PS3 is good and all that but I am going to pass. Its either the S590 or the S790. I have made up my mind on Sony due to the fact that I have always had good luck with their players and I like the Bravia Sync feature where the tv and Blu ray player work together. I am really considering a Panasonic though as well. I have unitl next month to decide.
Good luck. Don't forget to let us know.

Yeah, had my PS3 turned down before for the same reason, but I make sure to suggest it when asked, 'cause it works for me. I play exactly one game, but one of my kids is a gamer so we love it. But that said, we have been through one of them before, but hopefully the newer model we have now is tougher.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

panasonic bdt310. hey it played dredd and total recall without a hitch. however, it does freeze on ghost rider 3d (pisses me off). the 3d seems a little better than the ps3. i got a deal on it for $150, so im psyched. this thing is sweet. small and slim, it doesnt call any attention to itself.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #8

Aug 2007
Utah

Haven't had any issues with my S590 aside from dredd but that wasn't my players fault. I think you can grab one for $99 these days.
3DTV■Samsung (PN51F8500AF)
Player■Sony (BDP-S590)
AVR■Yamaha (RX-V475)
Speakers■Pioneer BS22□C22
Sub■Polk Audio (PSW505)
Game■PS4□PS3 Slim 120gb□Xbox One
Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaulding View Post
Haven't had any issues with my S590 aside from dredd but that wasn't my players fault. I think you can grab one for $99 these days.
Yea I see them at Walmart and BB for $99 so I did some research online and compared it to the S790. Pretty much they are identicle players save for the 4K thing and a few other minor things and my wife said since I have no time for 4K why not just go for the S590? Plus its cheaper. Well after some thinking I may just settle on the S590 because of what she said which made some sense. Plus the S590 has been getting some glowing reviews. But again I have until next month to make a choice so we shall see.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

I have the S790. Right now since i am projector shopping, i don't use it for video. I have seen it's video output and it is very good.

I thought i might offer you a unique perspective on the s790. Since i am only using it to play cd's. Since the 790 has a dual core processor, it separates the audio/video. The CD's i am listening to sound almost as good as .wav files in hi-res. So much so that i got all of my cd's out of storage and put them in my theater. I think the s790 is a superb choice. You get the video quality of the oppo and excellent sound quality. Is it built as well as the oppo, no. But it is half the money. And for that what you get is worth it.
JVC DLA-X35B 3D Projector, Elunevisions Reference 92 inch 4K Tab-Tensioned, Goldenear Triton II's, Goldenear SCXL, Mirage OS1 X4, Mirage Nanosats Prestige X2, Monoprice 4102 in ceiling speakers X2, Power Sound Audio XS30 Dual Opposing 15 Inch Sealed Subwoofer, Onkyo TX-NR 818,Onkyo M-5010, Sony S790 , Belkin Pure AV PF30, Xbox 360 Elite, Onkyo C7030 CD Player, Hitachi 1 TB hard drive,Linksys PLK300,Nexus 7 Tablet.Sennheiser RS160 Earphones. Panasonic A410-32 LED TV. Sony PS4.

Last edited by sonic_debauchery; 01-26-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_debauchery View Post
I have the S790. Right now since i am projector shopping, i don't use it for video. I have seen it's video output and it is very good.

I thought i might offer you a unique perspective on the s790. Since i am only using it to play cd's. Since the 790 has a dual core processor, it separates the audio/video. The CD's i am listening to sound almost as good as .wav files in hi-res. So much so that i got all of my cd's out of storage and put them in my theater. I think the s790 is a superb choice. You get the video quality of the oppo and excellent sound quality. Is it built as well as the oppo, no. But it is half the money. And for that what you get is worth it.

Boy sonic you now have me thinking and are swaying me to the S790! One big feature I am looking at in the S790 is 4K. I aint upgrading to a new tv now or anytime in the near future but when I do go 4K at least I would be ready with the S790. So I am leaning towards the S790 right now.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Boy sonic you now have me thinking and are swaying me to the S790! One big feature I am looking at in the S790 is 4K. I aint upgrading to a new tv now or anytime in the near future but when I do go 4K at least I would be ready with the S790. So I am leaning towards the S790 right now.
You do know that whatever 4k display you use will upconvert to its native resolution so paying $150 more now for something that will probably never be used (affordable 4K is not for tomorrow and you will need a new player anyways for 4k content) is kinda wasted. heck we still don't have any info on codecs. For me the only reason to go with the 790 over the way cheaper 590 is for its dual HDMI and as stated before, possibly better audio (and that would only be through analog as digitally it will be the same output)

Oh I'm curious, why do you put XBR in front of your tv #. To my knowledge XBR is another line isn't it?
Old 01-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
You do know that whatever 4k display you use will upconvert to its native resolution so paying $150 more now for something that will probably never be used (affordable 4K is not for tomorrow and you will need a new player anyways for 4k content) is kinda wasted. heck we still don't have any info on codecs. For me the only reason to go with the 790 over the way cheaper 590 is for its dual HDMI and as stated before, possibly better audio (and that would only be through analog as digitally it will be the same output)

Oh I'm curious, why do you put XBR in front of your tv #. To my knowledge XBR is another line isn't it?
Thank's pentonic for the reply and you made a very good point. And the reason for the XBR in front of my tv # is because it was a demo model that I got. Its a loooooong story.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:37 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Thank's pentonic for the reply and you made a very good point. And the reason for the XBR in front of my tv # is because it was a demo model that I got. Its a loooooong story.
No problem mate, and ya I'm not into Sony anymore so I wasn't getting it (though MY SXRD 60A2000 is the best TV I've owned in my life and after 6 years, original bulb which is incredible considering the use it got for at least the 1st 4 years, gotta be well over 5000 hours on it, it still produces one of the best pictures around when compared to what my friends have, only my buddy's Panny plasma is superior as far as blacks and contrast and by not much) They lost me when they weren't able to develop lcos further outside of projectors, where lcos is still the top as far as PQ and by far IMO.

But, to tell you the truth I def want to demo a HX950. But at $5k it's only a demo considering I don't watch tv, only movies in a perfectly dark room, so for a lot less plasma is what I need and want. I did see an Elite at my local dealer and have to admit that outside the price factor I was impressed by the quality a lcd could put out.

End of rant

So yep, the S590 would just be right for you and at $100 it's dirt cheap
Old 01-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
No problem mate, and ya I'm not into Sony anymore so I wasn't getting it (though MY SXRD 60A2000 is the best TV I've owned in my life and after 6 years, original bulb which is incredible considering the use it got for at least the 1st 4 years, gotta be well over 5000 hours on it, it still produces one of the best pictures around when compared to what my friends have, only my buddy's Panny plasma is superior as far as blacks and contrast and by not much) They lost me when they weren't able to develop lcos further outside of projectors, where lcos is still the top as far as PQ and by far IMO.

But, to tell you the truth I def want to demo a HX950. But at $5k it's only a demo considering I don't watch tv, only movies in a perfectly dark room, so for a lot less plasma is what I need and want. I did see an Elite at my local dealer and have to admit that outside the price factor I was impressed by the quality a lcd could put out.

End of rant

My advice to you is demo the HX950! Its a great tv. I would have bought it but I ran into my tv and couldnt say no for obvious reasons. That being said you made enough points to where I will be picking up an S590 next month. One reason is there is no need to pay extra for 4K right now and who knows they may be even cheaper next month. I am also going to get myself an AVR as well because this soundbar thing that I have hooked up right now just aint doing it for me, it was a nice idea at the time but again its not for me. So thanks for all your input pentatonic and due try and demo an HX950 you just may like what you see.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Well I have made up my mind and I am going with the Sony BDP S590. I cant find it at Target, Walmart and BB for $99.99 and that's a sweet deal for what this player can do. Hopefully I will get it this weekend and if not next week for sure.

Xfinity HD.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #17

Jan 2013

Quote:

Any cheaper alternative to that? I saw that the Sony BDPS185 was recommended a lot, is it still up to date? Thanks
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players