COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Queen Margot (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Inspector Lavardin Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.49
The Paperboy (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Raid 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Drive Hard (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction

Old 01-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

Feb 2010
New York, USA
Default Moving my HT to a new room; speaker placement?

Hi all,

I will be moving my home theater system to a new room in the coming weeks, and since I will have more space, I am looking at a revised placement for my 7.1 system. For the fronts, I will be mounting them to speaker stands. I was going to do this for the side and rear surrounds as well, but I have been reading that the optimal placement would be 2-3 feet above the listener. That would mean that I would have to mount them on the wall instead. However, before I settle on speaker mounts, I would like to know what the consensus is here regarding surround placement. Is placing them at ear level on stands acceptable, or should I go with wall mounted?

Thanks!
Looking for the following US slipcovers. PM me if you're willing to sell!

2012 (Three-disc)
Book of Eli
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Sucker Punch
Trick 'r Treat
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #2

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
Hi all,

I will be moving my home theater system to a new room in the coming weeks, and since I will have more space, I am looking at a revised placement for my 7.1 system. For the fronts, I will be mounting them to speaker stands. I was going to do this for the side and rear surrounds as well, but I have been reading that the optimal placement would be 2-3 feet above the listener. That would mean that I would have to mount them on the wall instead. However, before I settle on speaker mounts, I would like to know what the consensus is here regarding surround placement. Is placing them at ear level on stands acceptable, or should I go with wall mounted?

Thanks!
You should mount the surrounds so the tweeter is at least 2 feet above your ears. I have had mine in many configurations & that is the way it sounds best.

Just my 2 cnts.
Brent

A Projector and Sound System with a Blu-ray ~ Priceless.........
Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Here is a set up for you to take a look at. Should answer your question??
JVC DLA-X35B 3D Projector, Elunevisions Reference 92 inch 4K Tab-Tensioned, Goldenear Triton II's, Goldenear SCXL, Mirage OS1 X4, Mirage Nanosats Prestige X2, Monoprice 4102 in ceiling speakers X2, Power Sound Audio XS30 Dual Opposing 15 Inch Sealed Subwoofer, Onkyo TX-NR 818,Onkyo M-5010, Sony S790 , Belkin Pure AV PF30, Xbox 360 Elite, Onkyo C7030 CD Player, Hitachi 1 TB hard drive,Linksys PLK300,Nexus 7 Tablet.Sennheiser RS160 Earphones. Panasonic A410-32 LED TV. Sony PS4.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #4

Feb 2010
New York, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic_debauchery View Post
Here is a set up for you to take a look at. Should answer your question??
The problem is that the maximum height that most stands that I've seen go up to is around 43 inches. That doesn't seem tall enough to elevate the surrounds above ear level.

2012 (Three-disc)
Book of Eli
Sucker Punch
Trick 'r Treat
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

The 2-3 feet above the listening position is a guide line only. If say for instance onkyo is putting what you see in the diagram I sent you, then this is an acceptable configuration. With room correction the sound will be good.
JVC DLA-X35B 3D Projector, Elunevisions Reference 92 inch 4K Tab-Tensioned, Goldenear Triton II's, Goldenear SCXL, Mirage OS1 X4, Mirage Nanosats Prestige X2, Monoprice 4102 in ceiling speakers X2, Power Sound Audio XS30 Dual Opposing 15 Inch Sealed Subwoofer, Onkyo TX-NR 818,Onkyo M-5010, Sony S790 , Belkin Pure AV PF30, Xbox 360 Elite, Onkyo C7030 CD Player, Hitachi 1 TB hard drive,Linksys PLK300,Nexus 7 Tablet.Sennheiser RS160 Earphones. Panasonic A410-32 LED TV. Sony PS4.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #6

Feb 2010
New York, USA

Here is a page out of the manual for my HTIB, the Onkyo HT-S6200:

So, I guess I will go with their recommendation for 2-3 feet above ear level.

You've been a great help so far. However, I now have a new question. The room that I will be setting up in has a rather large unavoidable doorless arch- about 70 inches wide, not counting the trim. It is the wall on which the rear surrounds will be placed. How far do you recommend the rear surrounds be placed from each other? is a distance of 80 inches or so too far? If so, then I have no choice but to put the rears on stands as well and have a speaker on a stand in the middle of the archway.

2012 (Three-disc)
Book of Eli
Sucker Punch
Trick 'r Treat

Last edited by Jeremiah; 01-25-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction