COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.66
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.35
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Soundgarden: Superunknown (Blu-ray)
$70.54
Megamind 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.70
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 11:28 AM   #41
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
I have the Elite TE106HW2 tab tensioned screen. The screen has a cord on each side of the screen to put "tension" on the screen to prevent ripples.

[Show spoiler]
Is the screen curved?
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
rpatt rpatt is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
rpatt's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
55
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Is the screen curved?
No. The cords run through tabs on the sides of the screen and the weight of the bar on the bottom puts the tension on the screen to pull it straight. Works very well so far.
Mancave Man

Two Channel
Yamaha: CX-1000, B-6, T-85, CDX-5000, YP-D8, Cambridge Audio: 640P, Oppo: BDP-83, Klipsch: Klipschorns Modded with ALK Universal Crossovers & Crites CT-125 Tweeters.
Home Theater
Panasonic: PT-AE7000U, Elite: TE106HW2, Samsung: LN52B750, Marantz: AV8801, Parasound: 5250 V.2, Oppo: BDP-93, Toshiba: HD-A35, JBL Synthesis: PT800 (4), PC600, PS1400 (2), HTPS400 (4)
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #43
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
No. The cords run through tabs on the sides of the screen and the weight of the bar on the bottom puts the tension on the screen to pull it straight. Works very well so far.
Thanks! Will definitely look for one. Would love a fixed screen, but won't happen.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #44
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

Time is almost here. Really thinking on the Epson 5020, comes with two pairs of glasses.can get those and buy extra and be able to screen a 3D movie for four. 5010 has a mail in rebate, takes up to 10 weeks, will have to wait a bit, and get someone to send them from the US to Taiwan for me, if I understand it correctly. Looking at Visual Apex; would be nice if they just sent a cheque to refund the money for ones already purchased.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #45
nando820 nando820 is offline
Active Member
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
Seattle, WA
53
773
21
Default

Hey Travis!

I recently got the Epson 5010 for $1850! at Bestbuy. Since the new 5020 just came out all Bestbuys across the country are getting rid of their 5010s you just gotta talk to the manager and ask to buy it and make and offer, that's what I did

Oh and yes I'm more than amazed at its quality. Mind you I already had a 3D 65" Plasma TV that's stunning and this projector managed to blow me away anyways

oh as for the 3D glasses, the Sony 3D glasses are universal and work with the Espon and they go for $19.99 at Bestbuy too

Last edited by nando820; 01-15-2013 at 10:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #46
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Hey Travis!

I recently got the Epson 5010 for $1850! at Bestbuy. Since the new 5020 just came out all Bestbuys across the country are getting rid of their 5010s you just gotta talk to the manager and ask to buy it and make and offer, that's what I did

Oh and yes I'm more than amazed at its quality. Mind you I already had a 3D 65" Plasma TV that's stunning and this projector managed to blow me away anyways

oh as for the 3D glasses, the Sony 3D glasses are universal and work with the Espon and they go for $19.99 at Bestbuy too
That is awesome! Will do that the day after I land! Thanks a lot.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #47
i007spectre i007spectre is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Aug 2012
Kansas
20
246
1
Default

You'll love the 5010 so much, I do!
Epson 5010 on VAPEX9120
Sony BDP-S580
Sony PS3 and PS4
DirecTV HR24
Yamaha RX-V567
Front: Yamaha NS-C444 and NS-777
Surrounds: Side - Sony SS-F5000 / Rear - Some cheap Yamaha's
Subwoofer: Yamaha YST-SW315
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #48
SammymeBlu SammymeBlu is online now
Special Member
 
SammymeBlu's Avatar
 
Aug 2009
Des Moines, IA
1904
199
Default

I would go with the Panasonic AE8000 myself
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #49
domingos35 domingos35 is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2011
Default

i am stuck between the panny 8000 and the epson 5020.
can't make up my mind
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #50
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammymeBlu View Post
I would go with the Panasonic AE8000 myself
Why?
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #51
domingos35 domingos35 is offline
Active Member
 
Dec 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammymeBlu View Post
I would go with the Panasonic AE8000 myself
yes why?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:47 AM   #52
Ruined Ruined is offline
Active Member
 
Sep 2009
Default

If you plan to watch 3D semi-frequently, the BenQ W7000 is the obvious choice. DLP is undefeated in 3D quality and comfort. Pair that projector with some Optoma ZD201 glasses and you have a 3D match made n heaven. The 2D is awesome also, but...

The Epson does have an edge over the W7000 in 2D in some areas such as black level, though it is worth mentioning that the motion resolution is inferior to the BenQ. The Epson is also quieter and puts out less heat.

Finally there is RBE vs SDE which is a toss up IMO.


Personally I had to make the same choice and went with the BenQ because it looked the most filmlike and was by far the best in 3D (so comfortable on the eyes you don't even notice the glasses). If you don't mind the lesser black level and higher noise output, that would be my pick.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #53
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
If you plan to watch 3D semi-frequently, the BenQ W7000 is the obvious choice. DLP is undefeated in 3D quality and comfort. Pair that projector with some Optoma ZD201 glasses and you have a 3D match made n heaven. The 2D is awesome also, but...

The Epson does have an edge over the W7000 in 2D in some areas such as black level, though it is worth mentioning that the motion resolution is inferior to the BenQ. The Epson is also quieter and puts out less heat.

Finally there is RBE vs SDE which is a toss up IMO.


Personally I had to make the same choice and went with the BenQ because it looked the most filmlike and was by far the best in 3D (so comfortable on the eyes you don't even notice the glasses). If you don't mind the lesser black level and higher noise output, that would be my pick.
Thanks.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #54
Solo man Solo man is offline
Active Member
 
Solo man's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario
72
266
285
1
Default

Looks like you almost made the decision on the Epson and but I will add to say that I have had no problems with the Panasonic 7000. I get no ghosting, crosstalk or flickering issues. I love the 3D picture it projects and never had any issue with this picture. In Rec mode, for 2d movies, it is also very film like IMO.

I was also concerned with problems with going with a projector and am lucky that I have no problems at all. I also use panny glasses and run in eco mode.
Love 3D technology and am addicted to it.
My Growing SA-CD collection
http://www.sa-cd.net/library/9866/1
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #55
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo man View Post
Looks like you almost made the decision on the Epson and but I will add to say that I have had no problems with the Panasonic 7000. I get no ghosting, crosstalk or flickering issues. I love the 3D picture it projects and never had any issue with this picture. In Rec mode, for 2d movies, it is also very film like IMO.

I was also concerned with problems with going with a projector and am lucky that I have no problems at all. I also use panny glasses and run in eco mode.
Yep, leaning toward Epson. But still looking for feedback.

I also wonder if the number of negative comments about the Panasonic are partly because it was such a popular PJ: many sold so many reviews.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #56
Solo man Solo man is offline
Active Member
 
Solo man's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario
72
266
285
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Yep, leaning toward Epson. But still looking for feedback.

I also wonder if the number of negative comments about the Panasonic are partly because it was such a popular PJ: many sold so many reviews.
I have heard great things about the Epson and I too was worried when I saw some complaints. But when I saw the projector in action with my own eyes, I was sold especially in 3D. I was concerned about PQ because I simply fell in love with the kuro picture but then saw the Panasonic image and was quite pleased.

Mine is really quiet too but I am in eco mode from day one even in 3D but my basement is pitch dark with no windows.
Love 3D technology and am addicted to it.
My Growing SA-CD collection
http://www.sa-cd.net/library/9866/1
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #57
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo man View Post
I have heard great things about the Epson and I too was worried when I saw some complaints. But when I saw the projector in action with my own eyes, I was sold especially in 3D. I was concerned about PQ because I simply fell in love with the kuro picture but then saw the Panasonic image and was quite pleased.

Mine is really quiet too but I am in eco mode from day one even in 3D but my basement is pitch dark with no windows.
Quiet is a big concern. The fan noise from the PS3 bothered me a lot, wife never noticed. Even late at night when volume is really, really low, can hear the TV hum, I hate it.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #58
Solo man Solo man is offline
Active Member
 
Solo man's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario
72
266
285
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Quiet is a big concern. The fan noise from the PS3 bothered me a lot, wife never noticed. Even late at night when volume is really, really low, can hear the TV hum, I hate it.
I am like you and have sensitive ears that if I heard a buzz or fan that it would drive me nuts. I have the projector over my head on the ceiling and don't hear a thing. When I bought my tv, I was completely satified and goes down as one of the best purchases I made.

Also, so far, this projector is also one that I am completely satisfied with. My friend wants to buy my projector and then I could upgrade to the 8000 easily for a small amount of money. The reason I don't want to sell my projector is that I am very happy with it and would be worried that if I got the new 8000, then I might end up with a dud. I wish you all the luck in your next projector.
Love 3D technology and am addicted to it.
My Growing SA-CD collection
http://www.sa-cd.net/library/9866/1
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #59
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo man View Post
I am like you and have sensitive ears that if I heard a buzz or fan that it would drive me nuts. I have the projector over my head on the ceiling and don't hear a thing. When I bought my tv, I was completely satified and goes down as one of the best purchases I made.

Also, so far, this projector is also one that I am completely satisfied with. My friend wants to buy my projector and then I could upgrade to the 8000 easily for a small amount of money. The reason I don't want to sell my projector is that I am very happy with it and would be worried that if I got the new 8000, then I might end up with a dud. I wish you all the luck in your next projector.
Thanks!
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #60
Travis Travis is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Travis's Avatar
 
Nov 2008
On the sofa
30
1044
295
3
6
Default

A quick thanks for all the info. I got the Epson 5010 from Visual Apex. Am loving it. Have 39 hours on it, been a week. If I can stop watching movies, I may even mount it on the ceiling.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:15 AM.