COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$23.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Veep: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$183.99
Visitors (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.49
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries: Series 2 (Blu-ray)
$30.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Stalingrad 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.49
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Tim's Vermeer (Blu-ray)
$20.49
Batman: Assault on Arkham (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Seattle Seahawks: Road to XLVIII (Blu-ray)
$27.49
Almost Human (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Ernest & Celestine (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Paradise: Season One (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Old 01-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Canada
Canada Passive or Active

Which are better Passive glasses or Active glassed

AND

What is the difference. In plain English please
http://vuducredits.com
singles and bundles for 50% face value
($2.50 ea. for $4.99 credits)
message with questions.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2011

Get ready for an all out war! No, but seriously, I think most people are tired of the passive/active argument. Want 1080p? Get active, or a new 4k passive later this year. Want 1080i and don't care about the subtle loss in quality and like theater 3D glasses? Get a passive set. I have a passive and love it.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
Get ready for an all out war! No, but seriously, I think most people are tired of the passive/active argument. Want 1080p? Get active, or a new 4k passive later this year. Want 1080i and don't care about the subtle loss in quality and like theater 3D glasses? Get a passive set. I have a passive and love it.
Agreed! Today-this minute, Active delivers Full 1080P HD per eye. With 4K displays entering the picture this year (no pun intended), passive will deliver Full 1080P HD per eye and also I'm hoping, Glassless autostereoscopic 3D at Full 1080P per eye.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 01-19-2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Special Member

Jul 2012
Wisconsin

As stated by others Active is currently the only way to get full 1080p HD 3D with current HD TV's. Passive's technology is the cheapest but they do reduce picture quality to sub-HD levels. But Passive glasses will probably be the lightest to wear and will have absolutely no flickering whatsoever that the Active glasses might have. (Although I cannot see any flicker whatsoever with my new Samsung active glasses, they are really amazing and super light-weight.)

And yes, 4K TV sets will offer full 1080P HD with passive glasses but they cost between $10 - 25K right now. Passive glasses will become the standard for these sets until glasses-free 3D is perfected.

The war on Active vs. Passive though is really pointless because the only format out there (Blu-Ray 3D) is compatable with both types of glasses. So, you should really just try both of them out for yourself to see which you like best. You can't go wrong either way. 3D ROCKS!!!!!

Last edited by Operation Swordfish; 01-19-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac View Post
Which are better Passive glasses or Active glassed

AND

What is the difference. In plain English please
with active glassses, the glasses are powered by a small battery and either the left or the right eye is blocked and you can't see the screen (or anything). so if the screen s showing the left imnage the left eye is clear and you see the image while the right one is completely opaque and you see nothing, then it switches and the right eye is clear for the right image. This happens 48+ times a second.

With passive, there is no power, and what is used is called polarization, for polarization think of light as having a length of some sorts, like / (this line), that is because of the "wave" nature of light. So if you have lignt like / and the glasses have slots like\\\\\\\\ it gets blocked and does not pass through so the display will have light like //// and a lens like //// for the left eye and light like \\\ and lens like \\\\ for the right. Now what happens with 3D is that you have two imnages, with active those two images are in time (i.e. show left, show right, show left.....) with the passive TVs we have them at the same time but since they did not double the resolution what happens is youu have half the resolution

///////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
///////////////
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
///////////////

and each eye only sees half the image displayed.

personaly I prefer active at this point in time since I want to see the whole picture and making sure my glasses are charged is not that important. But passive glasses are MUCH cheaper and if there is ever a full resolution passive display that will get my vote.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
Expert Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Swordfish View Post
Passive's technology is the cheapest but they do reduce picture quality to sub-HD levels.
Point of clarification; you'll hear this a lot and it's not actually correct (though it's an easy mistake to make). Passive DOES lower the resolution, essentially halving it vertically - but it's not "sub HD", because it doesn't halve the horizontal resolution too. Instead of 1920 x 1080, it's 1920 x 540, which is still a higher overall resolution than 720p HD. Since the image information is slightly different every other line though, it's not even REALLY 1920 x 540 since there is some additional detail to be gleaned from the rows with the "other image" when your brain combines the two views (they don't just disappear). That said, it does introduce a slight drop in detail and can cause "jagged edges", especially on diagonal lines and text.

Last edited by UFAlien; 01-19-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Canada

Thanks guys that info helped alot

Closed case
http://vuducredits.com
singles and bundles for 50% face value
($2.50 ea. for $4.99 credits)
message with questions.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Don't active sets have more crosstalk than passive sets as well? If so, each approach has its limitations and neither is perfect. So it would be more a case of which limitations you're willing to live with.

By the way, I checked at cnet to see their best reviewed sets but, although they have categories for best looking TV's overall, is there any site that has separate lists for best active and best passive sets?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
Don't active sets have more crosstalk than passive sets as well? If so, each approach has its limitations and neither is perfect. So it would be more a case of which limitations you're willing to live with.

By the way, I checked at cnet to see their best reviewed sets but, although they have categories for best looking TV's overall, is there any site that has separate lists for best active and best passive sets?
It's not as simple as that, because the limitations of the tv tech that active tech is being used with has to be taken into consideration. LCD/LED panels are a big limitation to active technology, however not so much to Plasmas, DLP's and projectors. Crosstalk is very minor, almost non existent with current active plasmas, DLP's and projectors. It's LCD technology that has most of the problems, this is because the liquid crystals/pixels in an LCD display can't shift fast enough.
Setup:
Panasonic th-p65vt60a tv, Sony str-da5300es avr/pre-amp, Emotiva xpa-2 & xpa-5 amps, Dali Concept: 10 (fronts) 2 (rears x4) & centre speakers, 2x SVS pb13-ultra subwoofers, Oppo bdp-105 Blu-ray player/DAC (region free), Onkyo c-s5vl sacd player, Panasonic dmr-bwt835 1tb hdd/Blu-ray recorder, Xbox One & 360 250gb s, Sony PS4 & PS3 60gb, Cyron lighting & htw1000 controller, Samsung s2 1tb hdd, SurgeX sx1210rli surge suppressor/power conditioner x3, Logitech Harmony 1100i remote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Thanks for the clarification, Cevolution. That's a problem for me when I eventually get a set since I use my TV as a PC monitor. LCD/LED would be a safer bet but I guess passive would be my only reasonable option for 3D.

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-24-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 AM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I think it was a bigger issue early on. In the end like I pointed out active shutter works by blocking what one eye sees (like a ultra dark sunglasses that block everything) and let's the other see the image (by letting light through) You get cross talk when the timing is not right (i.e. the left goes clear for a large part of the left image but also for a bit of the right one, and the same for the right) on most sets that was fixed by leaving a bit of time between the change where both are dark and you see nothing.

I am not saying that it can't happen or that it does not, but it was a bigger issue with earlier sets and FW upgrades have more or less eliminated them if they did not remove it completely.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
I think it was a bigger issue early on. In the end like I pointed out active shutter works by blocking what one eye sees (like a ultra dark sunglasses that block everything) and let's the other see the image (by letting light through) You get cross talk when the timing is not right (i.e. the left goes clear for a large part of the left image but also for a bit of the right one, and the same for the right) on most sets that was fixed by leaving a bit of time between the change where both are dark and you see nothing.

I am not saying that it can't happen or that it does not, but it was a bigger issue with earlier sets and FW upgrades have more or less eliminated them if they did not remove it completely.
Good to know. Thanks for that.

BTW have Plasmas improved for gaming much? A mod at another forum got a Panasonic ST and he even games on it but his is fairly new so I'm leary of any long term damage. I tend to use my main TV (a Sharp LC52D62U) as my computer monitor as well. Any thoughts?

Last edited by RocShemp; 01-24-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #13

Nov 2009

I have been playing ps3 on my samsung 3d plasma and so far no problems.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #14

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by keb33509 View Post
Want 1080p? Get active, or a new 4k passive later this year. Want 1080i
No. 720i.

1080i is the same resolution as 1080p. 720p is half the resolution of 1080p. So watching a 3D Blu-ray on a 1080p passive TV is like watching a 720p TV.

And with the horrible aliasing/horizontal lines effect that comes with passive it's more like 720i than 720p.

Passive is shit technology.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #15

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

L[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiontail60 View Post
No. 720i.

1080i is the same resolution as 1080p. 720p is half the resolution of 1080p. So watching a 3D a 1080p passive TV is like watching a 720p TV.

And with the horrible aliasing/horizontal lines effect that comes with passive it's more like 720i than 720p.

Passive is shit technology.
This is the biggest nonsense I've ever seen in the forums,
.. Do some research first about passive technology , some passive 3D tv sets can display1080i per eye after a 2011 firmware update and the newest ones come with it from the factory... is called "algorithm update ".

PS: trolls like you using those kind of expressions and words dont last long here , they get banned, so choose your words carefully...
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100

Last edited by banibale; 01-25-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: type
Old 01-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
This is the biggest nonsense I've ever seen in the forums,
.. Do some research first about passive technology , some passive 3D tv sets can display1080i per eye after a 2011 firmware update and the newest ones come with it from the factory... is called "algorithm update ".

PS: trolls like you using those kind of expressions and words dont last long here , they get banned, so choose your words carefully...
Despite his unfortunate "shit technology" comment, from what I've read, he's not wrong about the passive sets not actually displaying 1080i per eye. They're still just just doing 540 per eye but they refresh more often thanks to the firmaware update so we can perceive the equivalent of 1080i.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #17

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
Despite his unfortunate "shit technology" comment, from what I've read, he's not wrong about the passive sets not actually displaying 1080i per eye. They're still just just doing 540 per eye but they refresh more often thanks to the firmaware update so we can perceive the equivalent of 1080i.
Sorry mate. But he is wrong , he has no idea about passive tech or resolution.. he is saying 720i is half of 1080p nonesense.. and after the update I dont see the lines and my 3D looks sharper is not 1080p but is not 540p.
combo setup :110 " Elite Screens TE110HW2-E24 Motorized EPSON 5020UB 3D projector with OPPO 103 || TV: 70" Sony KDL-70R550A with OPPO 93|| PS4||XBOX ONE ||WII U (black) ||PS3 80G || Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Receiver || speakers: Infinity P363BK (2). || Infinity PC351BK (center). | (4) JBL ES10B || Infinity PS410BK subs (2).| Monster Power HDP2500 Power Center || Harmony 1100

Last edited by banibale; 01-25-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
Sorry mate. But he is wrong , he has no idea about passive thech or resolution.. he is saying 720i is half of 1080p nonesense.. and after the update I dont see the lines and my 3D looks sharper is not 1080p but is not 540p.
Cool. I was just responding based on what I'd read on the subject.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
MAINE
Send a message via Skype™ to MovieFanatic2010

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198665
BASEMENT HOME THEATER - EPSON 5030UB 2D/3D PROJECTOR W/ 100" ELITE SCREEN - RECEIVER - HARMON KARDON 1710 7.2
FRONT SPEAKERS - INFINITY PRIMUS P363 CENTER SPEAKER INFINITY PRIMUS PC351 - SIDES AND REARS POLK AUDIO 30'S + 40'S
SUBWOOFERS PREMIER ACOUSTIC PA-120 650 WATT TITANIUM + POLK AUDIO PSW110
BASS SHAKERS BASH 500 WATT AMP + 2 CLARK TRANSDUCERS
BEDROOM DISPLAY - PANASONIC VIERA TC-P60UT50 60 -INCH 3D PLASMA
Old 01-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #20

Aug 2011

Oh please. People who tell you that passive 3D looks fine are the same kind of people who think that upscaled DVDs are watchable.

In other words, they are the kind of people you should be ignoring.

I purchased a LG LM7600 last year. That's right, a 2012 series passive 3DTV. LG's highest rated model.

And it ****ing sucked. The passive 3D ruined 3D AND 2D! The horizontal lines were still present in 2D mode although in much more subtle form. The resolution drop was restored but it still made all 2D content look interlaced.

It was running on the latest firmware. It was a great TV in every other aspect - better menus than Samsung and the Smart functionality kicked the Samsung 2012 models' ass. The colors were great. The lighter glasses were nice.

It was solely the passive 3D that ruined the package. I had to return it for a Samsung active 3DTV and the improvement was immediately noticeable. Gone were the distracting black lines; 2D content now looked like it did on every non-3DTV I'd seen before, and most importantly a significant clarity increase in 3D mode.

That LG "1080i per eye" is nonsense. Pure marketing hoo-ha. I have tons of 2D native 1080i material and it looks waaaay clearer than 3D content ever did on that LG 3DTV.

If you don't notice the black lines in 3D mode on those LG passive 3DTVs then you must be sitting a mile away from your TV. This would also explain why you don't notice the resolution drop. If you sit at a proper distance for that screen size so that the screen fills your entire field of vision that is when you will drop your jaw in horror at how bad it looks.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion