Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 08-30-2008, 03:41 AM   #81
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities
Send a message via Yahoo to mr.hidef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
Nice try Driver king But no cigar LOL

It's harder then you think,Remember, simple, One button does it ALL.
Seriously iam thinking the on and off button on the TV and thats all.

Is there any plasmas are LCD screen that have speaker jacks in the back of them.My dad had a t.v (RCA 32" 14 years ago) that did that. Maybe thats what his looking for?
I don't know, I Don't think i really know what the hell iam talking about now LOL.Iam out of here Good luck Guys
There used to be flat panel TV's that had speaker jacks in the back(bare wire kind) when they first came out.Nowdays not so much. You may have to buy a Plasma or LCD, and take the removable speakers off........then you can hook up your own speakers to it(only problem is OHMage/power..10-15watts?)
MY HDNA.....IS BLU.....BLU-BLOOD
SONY KDL-52W5100 120Hz / SONY Google TV NSX-40GT
ONKYO TX-SR805 - cooling by Antec
SONY 2 x BDP-S580
MONSTER HDP-2500
KLIPSCH Reference IV series
Dual eD A2-300's
Old 08-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #82

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hidef View Post
Hey bruss01,
How do you know good sound when you have never had it? I think you should go shopping around and make your own decisions, and frankly get off this thread,and go to the home theater pics thread and see what's goin on there for gear? Just stop dealing with some of these cats on this site,cause they will only try to persuade you to buy something along their taste level.

Thanks, good advice and I intend to take it.

BTW there is ONE reason I bother to go to a theater for summer blockbuster despite the outrageous ticket prices and that is for the SOUND. That is where I recognize decent sound from, the actual theater. I don't expect to re-create it in my living room, I was just hoping to do a little better than we have now. Apparently (you noticed) some folks think you need to go all the way or don't bother, anything less is a piece of crap. BTW I checked out the Onkyo 605/606 unit that a lot of folks are raving about - folks say it doubles as a space heater (raised the room temp 10 degrees), and has a lot of issues such as popping noises, dropping cc subtitles if using something other than the HD connector (which I would have to do until such time as we upgrade our sat service). Sounds like a lot of problems, which I don't have now. I think the money can be better spent.

Someone said sound is 75% of the experience... NO, not for everyone it isn't. I've enjoyed plenty of movies while my wife was sleeping, using just the cc subtitles and ZERO sound. Sure, it's nice to have good sound but any sound or no sound at all you can still enjoy a good picture and a good story. Guess I'm just not the die-hard audiophile that many here are....

I'm going to sign off this thread now, ponder the good advice that has been given, weigh the pros and cons - and wait for that money to come in and how best to allocate it.

Thanks everyone who helped.

Last edited by bruss01; 08-30-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:02 PM   #83
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

The funny part about the people who post all of the negative things and problems about the 605 just were unlucky and got a lemon or are expecting too much. You shouldn't expect a powerful receiver to run cool. It's uncommon for those problems and if you're room isn't the size of a small closet, then heating shouldn't be a problem. You could look at the Yamaha 663 too, which is a receiver that is similar to the 605.
My recommended setup for Home Theater Virgins:

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or
HTIB: Polk 5.1 system and
Receiver: Non-Network Onkyo TX-SR608 or Onkyo HT-RC180 Network Receiver
Monoprice-For all your cable needs...

Personal Setup + Subwoofer
Old 08-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #84
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ Send a message via Skype™ to JJ

Raised room temperature by 10 degrees? Does anyone know what 10 degrees really is? I'm sorry, but that was a bold lie by whoever said that his Onkyo served as a room heater. Sure they run hot, but that is only for those who don't know how to keep their equipment properly ventilated - sticking it into a closed wooden cabinet with an inch of breathing space on all sides is just plain foolish!

A cop once told me - "There's no point to getting myself wet pulling people over for reckless speeding when it's pouring rain - when they lose control of their car that is their own punishment."
- Orbis non Sufficit
================

Sonus Faber Venere - Epik Empire
Panasonic 65ZT60 - Emotiva XPA-3
Pioneer Elite VSX-03 - Pioneer Elite DV-48 - Sony S790

Last edited by JJ; 08-30-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Espelleeng
Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #85
Power Member

Apr 2008
Talking Keep us posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post

BTW there is ONE reason I bother to go to a theater for summer blockbuster despite the outrageous ticket prices and that is for the SOUND. That is where I recognize decent sound from, the actual theater. I don't expect to re-create it in my living room, I was just hoping to do a little better than we have now. Apparently (you noticed) some folks think you need to go all the way or don't bother, anything less is a piece of crap. BTW I checked out the Onkyo 605/606 unit that a lot of folks are raving about - folks say it doubles as a space heater (raised the room temp 10 degrees), and has a lot of issues such as popping noises, dropping cc subtitles if using something other than the HD connector (which I would have to do until such time as we upgrade our sat service). Sounds like a lot of problems, which I don't have now. I think the money can be better spent.

Someone said sound is 75% of the experience... NO, not for everyone it isn't. I've enjoyed plenty of movies while my wife was sleeping, using just the cc subtitles and ZERO sound. Sure, it's nice to have good sound but any sound or no sound at all you can still enjoy a good picture and a good story. Guess I'm just not the die-hard audiophile that many here are....

I'm going to sign off this thread now, ponder the good advice that has been given, weigh the pros and cons - and wait for that money to come in and how best to allocate it.

You are welcome Bruss01. It was a quite the experience reading this thread. BESTof luck to you and your wife !! Hope to hear what you decide on in the near or distant future !
Old 08-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #86
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2008
The Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJxiv1215 View Post
Raised room temperature by 10 degrees? Does anyone know what 10 degrees really is? I'm sorry, but that was a bold lie by whoever said that his Onkyo served as a room heater. Sure they run hot, but that is only for those who don't know how to keep their equipment properly ventilated - sticking it into a closed wooden cabinet with an inch of breathing space on all sides is just plain foolish!

A cop once told me - "There's no point to getting myself wet pulling people over for reckless speeding when it's pouring rain - when they lose control of their car that is their own punishment."

Sure sounds like a cop to me. Too bad that reckless driver plowed into 17 nuns while he was sucking the jelly out of his donut.
My Rock and/or Roll band: http://ghostmanonfirst.bandcamp.com/
Old 08-31-2008, 03:11 AM   #87
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities

Quote:
Current setup:

Panasonic stereo tv (circa 1998)
Panasonic DVD player
NO RECEIVER
(TV connected directly to the 6-speaker system via RCA connectors)

Upgraded setup (coming soon):

Samsung 52" TOC (7 series) 1080p
Samsung 1500 blu-ray disk player
< $250 RECEIVER WORTHWHILE?
(unsure about how to connect everything, but need simplicity of operation)

(Also have xbox and satelite system to connect, currently these are connected directly to the tv)
Huh?...how did you hook up a six speaker system to a old analog tv with rca jacks.....are you jerking us around cause this isn't funny anymore.
SONY 2 x BDP-S580
MONSTER HDP-2500
Dual eD A2-300's
Old 08-31-2008, 03:14 AM   #88
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities

Quote:

My 805 runs BARELY WARM TO THE TOUCH...even after being on for 7-9 hrs.I think some people got bad units,when they first came out.......but I got mine on release day!
SONY 2 x BDP-S580
MONSTER HDP-2500
Dual eD A2-300's
Old 08-31-2008, 03:24 AM   #89
Power Member

Sep 2007
Twin Cities

Quote:

Best of luck to you sir.................come back when you have decided what to do, and we all here will try to help the best way we can
SONY 2 x BDP-S580
MONSTER HDP-2500
Dual eD A2-300's
Old 08-31-2008, 06:34 PM   #90
Power Member

May 2008
St. Catharines ONT

I have a funny feeling when he said he has a Panasonic DVD player it's actually a receiver ,DVD player(theater box type) so he would have speakers hooked up to it.
That's the only thing i could think of ,Because if he doesn't then he don't have speakers hooked up

Or maybe he's just playing or really doesn't know what he truly is talking about.(Sorry Brother thats how your looking to me)

Good luck again and i hope you get or don't get what your looking for

Last edited by ozzman; 08-31-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 PM   #91

Aug 2008

Said I was signing off this thread, and did intend to, but some of the forgoing just have to be answered. I apologize in advance for the blurry quality of some of the shots, I didn't have ideal conditions nor the time and inclination to shoot them over again. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.hidef View Post
Huh?...how did you hook up a six speaker system to a old analog tv with rca jacks.....are you jerking us around cause this isn't funny anymore.
Quote:
I have a funny feeling when he said he has a Panasonic DVD player it's actually a receiver ,DVD player(theater box type) so he would have speakers hooked up to it.
That's the only thing i could think of ,Because if he doesn't then he don't have speakers hooked up

Or maybe he's just playing or really doesn't know what he truly is talking about.(Sorry Brother thats how your looking to me)
For those who need expansion to understand our current setup, the following photos should clarify the situation.

Our tv and accessory setup (count them SIX speakers):

The DVD player (NOT an audio amp!):

TV Audio OUT (red & white RCA connectors on the left:

Rear of powered speaker set (housed in subwoofer chassis):

Closeup of the rear of the subwoofer (connected output from tv to front channel as instructed in the speaker instructions, it detects this and distributes appropriately):

Output from powered speaker set to the individual speakers:

Not a liar nor trying to mess with anyone. Kinda resent the implication.

You can see why we're interesed in upgrading this setup.

Last edited by bruss01; 09-01-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #92
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Quote:
You can see why we're interesed in upgrading this setup.

Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's, Polk Monitor 40's, Polk CS2 Center, and eD subwoofer or

Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #93

Aug 2008

Hey everyone. I was hoping for some suggestions on home theaters. Currently I am running on TV speakers itself which really sucks. Any recommendations on speakers, subs, and receivers? Kinda on a budget so looking for total of no more than $600-$700, but of course the lower the better . Here is a pic of my setup so far so it looks like a center speaker can't be placed on the TV stand (no room) so what can I do? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2511.JPG (68.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #94
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadazn View Post
Hey everyone. I was hoping for some suggestions on home theaters. Currently I am running on TV speakers itself which really sucks. Any recommendations on speakers, subs, and receivers? Kinda on a budget so looking for total of no more than $600-$700, but of course the lower the better . Here is a pic of my setup so far so it looks like a center speaker can't be placed on the TV stand (no room) so what can I do? Thanks in advance.
One, since you're in a completely different realm than the OP, I think it would be polite to start up your own thread. You'll get plenty of assistance.

Bruss- yeah, you're running a 5.1 setup with the receiver functions coming out of the subwoofer. I would just recommend a HTiB 5.1 setup. Onkyo makes a pretty good one. I think that everyone has different needs, and yours are different (by far) from most people on the forum. That doesn't make them bad, or wrong. But the suggestions aren't going to be what you need. A HTiB and a decent universal remote that has macros can allow you to have what you want.

I have a cheap Sony universal remote that I have programmed in macros so that my wife and daughter only have to press one button to get to watch TV, a movie, or play a game. It was a whopping $25 bucks and is holding me over until I find a better deal on a Logitech.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #95
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Tampa Bay, Florida

Look at the Onkyo 606 ($320 shipped) and eD subwoofer ($315 shipped). That's $635 there. Then, you can get these for about $75. When you get more money, then you can upgrade your fronts and put them in the back. At least you'll have a nice 2.1 setup for now. I think it's better than spending money on a system that you'll end up upgrading soon later anyways.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #96

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Blu View Post
You are welcome Bruss01. It was a quite the experience reading this thread. BESTof luck to you and your wife !! Hope to hear what you decide on in the near or distant future !
Well!

Here we are again!

Regarding sound, we stuck with the Creative Labs powered speaker set until recently. It was ok - at least we got some decent low end frequencies out of the sub-woofer and the other speakers performed "adequately". However, the dialogue was never crisp enough for me to hear it clearly against a busy audio background. Other noises and sound effects tended to muddy the words making it necessary for me to fall back on my old crutch, subtitles. The input for this speaker set was the headphone jack on the TV, which I'm sure didn't help matters much.

Well, recently the wife put her foot down regarding the new sofa we VERY BADLY needed (dog destroyed it totally over the past five years). Seriously, a hobo would think twice before spending the night on it. So we ended up with a new living room set. While we were at the furniture store, we spotted an "entertainment center". Now the wife has been bugging me for 14 years to do something about our hodgepodge (seriously, a second-hand table and a wine crate on the floor) supporting the current tv and components. This one was pretty nice, and contained a small space heater - attractive because she complains this time of year about how cold the living room is sometimes - we don't like heating the whole house to 72 degrees just to be warm in one room.

Well, we spent money like drunken sailors (thank God for credit plans!) and on the day it was all delivered I was faced with the Herculean task of unplugging, re-routing all of the equipment. The wife left with a friend to go out for the day and I was left to my own devices. Somewhere in all this cord-shuffling I decided - I need more devices!

A quick trip to Fry's followed. I got an APC power supply unit (this should have gone in before the TV, I've put it off far too long) and an Onkyo 5.1 receiver and speaker set. Yes it's HTIB. And it cost me about $260, right around what I'd always envisioned spending on a real sound system.

We still are not connecting the rear speakers. We are running it in the 3.1 configuration for now.

I have to say, I noticed immediately that there was a significant improvement in sound. This is the "next step up" I was looking for! The bass was deeper and richer. But what really impressed me was how clear the dialogue is coming out of the center channel. That, right there, is what made this unit pay off for me. Sure, I had to get some HD and optical cable to get everything hooked up right, and sure, I did end up spending a wee bit more than I had planned. But I've got an affordable setup that meets my expectation for what a modern TV-Blu-Ray setup should sound like without pouring mega-bux into it.

It's a little more complex now, with another component to manage, and we have a buttload of remotes to juggle... maybe I can find a way to program them all into one easy-to-use controller.

Observations - The Onkyo unit was still super tall. I had to get some rubber washers and stack them under the glass top of the entertainment system, about an inch, to make it fit. That seems to be working very well so far.

Also, to work seamlessly with the Onkyo, I had to get a converter for the Xbox 360 to convert composite (3 color) to HDMI. Sure, you could make the composite video cables work... but it wasn't smooth and elegant and I could tell the wife would become easily frustrated with that setup.

Very happy with this setup! This will probably be all the improvement we need for our TV sound until someday when we are comfortably well-off and are prepared to drop some huge bucks to "do it right" as some of the audiophiles here would have recommended.

BTW it took me an entire day to route all the cables behind the unit invisibly. zip ties, adhesive cable mounts, etc... and a lot of planning, wiring, ripping said wiring out, re-planning, moving components - to finally get it done. But it's beautiful and easy to trace the connections. Finally no more possum's nest behind the TV!

Last edited by bruss01; 01-24-2013 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #97

Apr 2009
Ajax, Ontario

Strongly recommend you check out a reasonably priced universal remote. At my wife's insistence we just picked up a third Logitech Harmony; this one a model 650, cost $44 on sale at Bestbuy. Likely cheaper in the US.
15 minutes connected online to program it, and now one button press turns on the components you want to use (eg, press Blu-ray and it turns on the TV, Blu-ray player and receiver) and selects the correct inputs. All the other remotes go in a drawer.

Have fun. Good to see a story with a happy ending.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #98

Jan 2013
United States

Congrats on your new setup! Before and after pics would be nice to supplement the interesting thread.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion