Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Now: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (A… $10.89 (99% sold out)
Now: Coraline $7.39 (90% sold out)
Soon: ParaNorman ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Grand Theft Auto V (PS3)
$29.99
3 hrs ago
Assassin's Creed Rogue (PS3)
$50.37

Duck Dynasty (PS3)
$19.99

Fifa 15 (PS3)
$53.61

Diablo III (PS3)
$34.27

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! (PS3)
$52.62

Just Dance 2015 (PS3)
$34.33
3 hrs ago
Wolfenstein: The New Order (PS3)
$29.99

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (PS3)
$14.99

One Piece Unlimited World Red (PS3)
$32.80
2 hrs ago
Need for Speed Rivals Complete Edition (PS3)
$52.61

GRID Autosport (PS3)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming

Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 AM   #81
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
AB,Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
Well....what started as a $400 upgraded has somehow ended as a $1000 upgrade
water cooling isn't cheap lol! I am the same way though, I just bought a $700 dollar monitor lol....
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #82
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLindsay View Post
No arguments here, but dangerden might not be the best bet for parts now
I just saw they closed down WTF is this crap.
83+12 = 6 Congrats to the 2014 NFL Hall of Fame Class

2014 Detroit Tigers 90-72 AL Central Champs
2014 Detroit Red Wings 0-0
2014 Detroit Lions 3-1
2014 MSU Spartans Football 3-1 #9
Old 01-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #83
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
AB,Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
That happened a few months ago. I can't remember the reason though, but i thought it was some personal issues with the owners.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #84
Power Member

Aug 2008
NH

Quote:
haha yeah that's why I posted that, they had a crazy sale a while back where everything was being sold for a mad discount. Cant say that I actually bought anything from them ever though, ive always bought my watercooling gear from frozencpu (and none if it was dangerden gear)
Display: 120" Elitescreen + Epson 5030UB
Power: Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers and woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: DIY JL 12W7 w/Behringer EPX-2800
Blu-ray: OPPO BDP-103
Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #85
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Hey guys, thanks to everyone who has provided me feedback for this upgrade. I'm just about ready to order everything that I need but I had one more question before pulling the trigger.......other than PhysX.....is there any reason why I shouldn't pick up a 7970 over a GTX 680?

I mean I don't want to start an ATI vs Nvidia conversation, but ever since the 7970 was brought to my attention I just can't ignore it....especially the price.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #86
Power Member

Aug 2008
NH

Quote:
Hey guys, thanks to everyone who has provided me feedback for this upgrade. I'm just about ready to order everything that I need but I had one more question before pulling the trigger.......other than PhysX.....is there any reason why I shouldn't pick up a 7970 over a GTX 680?

I mean I don't want to start an ATI vs Nvidia conversation, but ever since the 7970 was brought to my attention I just can't ignore it....especially the price.
It is a great card for the money and PhysX is the only thing I can think of. I own a GTX 570 myself currently, I downgraded from a 7970 because I don't game much these days but the 7970 was beast mode when I had it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #87
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
AB,Canada

Quote:

There is no reason. They both are pretty much equal only one is cheaper.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #88
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Why can't upgrading be simple?

Ok, so I'm all set except for the graphics card. Just need to decide between a 680 and a 7970 now
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #89
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
AB,Canada

Quote:

Ok, so I'm all set except for the graphics card. Just need to decide between a 680 and a 7970 now
Here is the 7970 to go with LINK

and here is the 680 to go with LINK

both those cards are cool and quiet. The 7970 isn't the Ghz edition but you can OC it yourself if you wanted. 7970 is 70 dollars cheaper for pretty much the same performance.

Last edited by Leopold BUTTERS; 01-24-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:02 AM   #90
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

Quote:

First off if your chipset is intel based I would almost always go Nvidia. I have had problems with Radeon series and frankly AMD chips and chipsets haven't impressed me all that much. Check toms hardware for benchmarks based on what you play. 680 is going to be about 100 dollars more but if the extra boost is worth it to you believe me you wont be sad. Also keep in mind Raedons tend to update drivers very often Nvidia seems to do it once per quarter.

2014 Detroit Lions 3-1
Old 01-24-2013, 03:03 AM   #91
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold BUTTERS View Post
Here is the 7970 to go with LINK

and here is the 680 to go with LINK

both those cards are cool and quiet. The 7970 isn't the Ghz edition but you can OC it yourself if you wanted. 7970 is 70 dollars cheaper for pretty much the same performance.
Why give him the 2gb 680 link

If you buy a 680 get this one the card is 4GB will last you a very long time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125448

Personally I go EVGA for my cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130794

FYI fans can be loud and cards tend to run hot but they are warrantied for life if you register within 30 days. Not sure of warranty for Gigabyte. Either way both these cards are the 4GB models.

2014 Detroit Lions 3-1
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #92
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
AB,Canada

Quote:
Why give him the 2gb 680 link

If you buy a 680 get this one the card is 4GB will last you a very long time

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125448

Personally I go EVGA for my cards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130794

FYI fans can be loud and cards tend to run hot but they are warrantied for life if you register within 30 days. Not sure of warranty for Gigabyte. Either way both these cards are the 4GB models.
might as well go with the 3GB 7970 then. Its over 150 dollars cheaper. Not worth 1gb of memory or the extra speed.

Gigabyte has a 3 year warranty.

Just because he has an intel chipset doesn't mean he should go with nvidia. Nothing is different if he uses AMD or Intel chipset, it won't change what the gpu does unless his CPU was a bottleneck.

for 20 bucks more you can get a 6GB 7970 GHz edition LINK

Last edited by Leopold BUTTERS; 01-24-2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #93
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

haha, you guys are making it worse. But my oh my.....that 6gb 7970 is WOW!

EDIT: I probably wouldn't need the 6 GB unless I was running multiple monitors though right?

Last edited by Mr. J; 01-24-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #94
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold BUTTERS View Post

Just because he has an intel chipset doesn't mean he should go with nvidia. Nothing is different if he uses AMD or Intel chipset, it won't change what the gpu does unless his CPU was a bottleneck.
Theoretically yes you are correct however you show me 1 game developer that designs there games under anything other then an Nvidia card. Yes theoretically all GPU's should function the same but they do not. AMD often times needs to go through multiple sets of drivers on a monthly basis to get rid of artifacting and various other graphics issues due to the simple fact developers do not use there cards in the development process. Also its a well known fact the 990FX chipsets were designed by AMD for use with AMD components IE CPU and GPU to create a more fluid system, yes AMD hardware on a 990FX chipset will run smoother with an AMD video card as opposed to an Nvidia.

Yes his CPU he just bought will most likely still be a bottleneck because the GPU is now the most important piece of a system and today's CPU market just simply cannot keep up with the GPU market.

Dont get me wrong this generation of Radeons is nice, however they still cannot keep up with what Nvidia does, and truthfully unless I had something less then a GTX 470 or 6000 series AMD card which as of right now can pretty much run everything at max as it is, I wouldn't upgrade at all until the Nvidia GK110 series cards are released. The new cards being released later this year will absolutely blow anything AMD has out of the water.

Radeon is going to give you more power for less price, but a good majority of the card is never going to be used. Nvidia with the physX options give you more control over what your card and CPU does, but as others have said you will pay more for the money. There's always going to be Nvidia fans here on the forums, and there's always going to be AMD fans on these boards saying one or the other is better that's never going to change, I've used both cards at some point and build PC's for others so my opinions are formed based on experience and research. Perhaps yours are also based on experience and research from what you have used, the OP is going to at some point need to do the same thing.

2014 Detroit Lions 3-1
Old 01-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #95
Power Member

Aug 2008
NH

AMD cant keep up, seriously? I was trying to avoid an argument with my post but that is just false the 7970 GHz edition is regarded as equal to the 680 for less money

from Anandtech

"While AMD has routinely retaken the performance crown for a time by beating NVIDIA in releasing next-generation GPUs first – such was the case with the Radeon HD 5870 and Radeon HD 7970 – the typical pattern is for AMD’s flagship single-GPU card to trail NVIDIA’s flagship once NVIDIA has caught up. In a generational matchup AMD has not been able to beat or tie NVIDIA for the highest performing single-GPU card a very long time. And as it turns out the last time that happened was six years ago, with the Radeon X1950 XTX in 2006.

Six years is a long time to wait, but patience, perseverance, and more than a few snub moves against NVIDIA have paid off for AMD. For the first time in 6 years we can say that AMD is truly competitive for the single-GPU performance crown. The Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition isn’t quite fast enough to outright win, but it is unquestionably fast enough to tie the GeForce GTX 680 as the fastest single-GPU video card in the world today.
"

Also the whole if you have Intel get NVidia is ... well ive never heard that before. I pretty much run Intel CPU + AMD GPU for a long time now and its been fine. Heck ive technically had more problems with my GTX 570 then I did with my 7970 (and it was a fresh install of windows so it was not because of left over drivers)
Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #96
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Quote:
Theoretically yes you are correct however you show me 1 game developer that designs there games under anything other then an Nvidia card. Yes theoretically all GPU's should function the same but they do not. AMD often times needs to go through multiple sets of drivers on a monthly basis to get rid of artifacting and various other graphics issues due to the simple fact developers do not use there cards in the development process. Also its a well known fact the 990FX chipsets were designed by AMD for use with AMD components IE CPU and GPU to create a more fluid system, yes AMD hardware on a 990FX chipset will run smoother with an AMD video card as opposed to an Nvidia.

Yes his CPU he just bought will most likely still be a bottleneck because the GPU is now the most important piece of a system and today's CPU market just simply cannot keep up with the GPU market.

Dont get me wrong this generation of Radeons is nice, however they still cannot keep up with what Nvidia does, and truthfully unless I had something less then a GTX 470 or 6000 series AMD card which as of right now can pretty much run everything at max as it is, I wouldn't upgrade at all until the Nvidia GK110 series cards are released. The new cards being released later this year will absolutely blow anything AMD has out of the water.

Radeon is going to give you more power for less price, but a good majority of the card is never going to be used. Nvidia with the physX options give you more control over what your card and CPU does, but as others have said you will pay more for the money. There's always going to be Nvidia fans here on the forums, and there's always going to be AMD fans on these boards saying one or the other is better that's never going to change, I've used both cards at some point and build PC's for others so my opinions are formed based on experience and research. Perhaps yours are also based on experience and research from what you have used, the OP is going to at some point need to do the same thing.
I laughed.

The Nividia cards coming this year will be incremental upgrade power wise. We talking around 20%, maybe 30%. and they will be Kepler based and not Tesla based.

Although it is rumoured Nividia want to release a Tesla based card this year dubbed "Titan" but with a hefty price tag and no clue of availability it could simply be another limited card like the 690.

The Mainsteam consumer cards this year will be 700 series Kepler. 2014 Will rise the mark of Tesla as a main stream product, maybe.

Which actually makes sense giving the cost of Tesla chips right now which are still very high.
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, Never let it Fade away
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #97
Gaming Moderator

Jul 2008
Arkham Asylum

Yeah, I didn't want to start a war but now I'm getting mixed signals. I thought that my Ivy Bridge i5-3570K was a great gaming CPU and would last me for a few years. Is this incorrect?

Honestly, at this point, I'm thinking to not even upgrade the Graphics Card and instead, use some of the money I was going to use on the graphics card and maybe upgrade or add some new items to my PC. Because regardless of what's the best GPU now, I still keep hearing that the 570 is "still" a powerful card. And presently, it still maxes out my games.

The GPU upgrade was never necessary and with all the graphics card discussions you guys have opened my eyes to a lot. But if a 680 or 7970 upgrade won't blow my mind then I think I'll be better off waiting for the next generation of GPU's. Whether thats from ATI or Nvidia.

The mistake I made when I built this computer last year was buying the GTX 570 that I have now, just a month before the release of the GTX 600 series cards. But I didn't know the release cycles of graphics cards at the time and I've been learning a lot since I built my PC. One of the biggest things that has me even considering a GPU upgrade is the amount of VRAM that I have. And some newer games requiring more. Games that come to mind are Bioshock Inifinte and Crysis 3......
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #98
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Quote:
Yeah, I didn't want to start a war but now I'm getting mixed signals. I thought that my Ivy Bridge i5-3570K was a great gaming CPU and would last me for a few years. Is this incorrect?

Honestly, at this point, I'm thinking to not even upgrade the Graphics Card and instead, use some of the money I was going to use on the graphics card and maybe upgrade or add some new items to my PC. Because regardless of what's the best GPU now, I still keep hearing that the 570 is "still" a powerful card. And presently, it still maxes out my games.

The GPU upgrade was never necessary and with all the graphics card discussions you guys have opened my eyes to a lot. But if a 680 or 7970 upgrade won't blow my mind then I think I'll be better off waiting for the next generation of GPU's. Whether thats from ATI or Nvidia.

The mistake I made when I built this computer last year was buying the GTX 570 that I have now, just a month before the release of the GTX 600 series cards. But I didn't know the release cycles of graphics cards at the time and I've been learning a lot since I built my PC. One of the biggest things that has me even considering a GPU upgrade is the amount of VRAM that I have. And some newer games requiring more. Games that come to mind are Bioshock Inifinte and Crysis 3......
I would wait...As I suggested before.

If the 570 still maxes everything then keep going with it. The Crysis 3 BETA starts on the 28th. Just download that and give that a bash. if you max it just fine then you should be good for a little while longer.

Pointless replacing stuff that still cuts the mustard, you know.

Oh and your CPU is just fine.... and will last for many years.
Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket, Never let it Fade away
Old 01-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #99
Power Member

Aug 2008
NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by menaceuk View Post
I would wait...As I suggested before.

If the 570 still maxes everything then keep going with it. The Crysis 3 BETA starts on the 28th. Just download that and give that a bash. if you max it just fine then you should be good for a little while longer.

Pointless replacing stuff that still cuts the mustard, you know.

Oh and your CPU is just fine.... and will last for many years.
Yeah your cpu is fine, it is what I use myself.

The GPU, like I said I downgraded from a 7970 to a GTX 570 and there are only a couple games I really even notice it. If you were going to upgrade either the 680 or 7970 are good choices

If nothing else get a SSD

Last edited by BLindsay; 01-24-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #100
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

As others have said your GPU is fine, my GTX 470 still runs everything thrown at it on max settings. Your CPU is also fine, there is honestly and truly no need for you to upgrade at all.

What you are hearing is differences of opinion based on personal experiences. All we can do is give advice based on our knowledge and experiences. My experiences come from doing this for about the last 15 years or so. BLindsay is very good at what he does I have seen some of his builds hes very knowledgeable in his advice. You would be wise to look at all sides and research based on what everyone is saying.

Right now if you do not have one the single best upgrade you can do is toss an SSD into your PC and be done with it. You will notice a HUGE increase in performance.

2014 Detroit Lions 3-1
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Gaming General Discussion > PC Gaming