Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 12-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #81
Expert Member

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder_bum View Post
I'm with you!

With the way that MIB 3 and Titanic looked this year, it's enough to make me a fan of (some) 3D conversions! A lot of them look better than native 3D, IMO.

Finally some open love for the conversions.

I think they can be amazing and the tech and artistry fascinate me.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #82
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
[/B]
Finally some open love for the conversions.

I think they can be amazing and the tech and artistry fascinate me.
Keep in mind most of these out of ordinary conversions like JC, AbeL, Wrath of titaans etc are so good because they use hybrid 3D where all the CGI is "native 3D" still. Or so me thinks.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #83
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3dfan View Post
Keep in mind most of these out of ordinary conversions like JC, AbeL, Wrath of titaans etc are so good because they use hybrid 3D where all the CGI is "native 3D" still. Or so me thinks.
Yes, hybrid conversions including Avengers 3D, offer greater 3D thanks to their combination of direct 2D to 3D conversions combined with stronger native 3D of computer generated imagery, CGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulder_bum View Post
I'm with you!

With the way that MIB 3 and Titanic looked this year, it's enough to make me a fan of (some) 3D conversions! A lot of them look better than native 3D, IMO.
I'd even say MIB 3 3D of my favorite 3D examples of the year, but yes, also Titanic 3D was awesome too. The 2 minute "how to convert a movie" feature revealed a lot in 2 minutes, just wish they offered a half hour of interviews and so on for that topic.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #84
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Default a great link! click it!

Quote:
To me, thats part of the artistry and tech in play, in how they can blend the footage seamlessly.

There are some great articles on the net about the process, I think I have posted some in this thread -

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/art-...2d-to-3d-2012/

This one is my fave. A lot of cgi is actually converted it turns out (like the transformers were in their latest), as somehow that is easier.

But I think any conversion is a conversion, as really all are probably hybrid in some way, including so-called native films.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #85
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Best Buy in store, selling it new for 17.99 3D Blu Ray, MIB 3 3D. At least till Saturday by closing time. Not sure if there's a new ad for Sunday.
Yesterday I went oogling to get MIB3 at Best Buy and was in tears to find that hey jacked up the price to $34.99!

I swear I saw the price at $17.99 on their website in the afternoon but when I went there, their website showed $34.99

Even Amazon jacked it up.

Missed out on a great deal Goes to show how quickly one must act to snatch a good opportunity!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #86
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
To me, thats part of the artistry and tech in play, in how they can blend the footage seamlessly.

But I think any conversion is a conversion, as really all are probably hybrid in some way, including so-called native films.
Good article, thanks. And I agree that any studio that plans ahead and uses the CGI to enhance the 3D effect in addition to the direct conversion of the 2D elements, is approaching it the smart way, keeping in mind, there are quite a few shots where the backgrounds have what appears to be non CGI elements, such as when J is standing in the apartment hallway. Then again, these days, even that could be blue or green screened and most of us probably won't see the difference.

Quote:
I swear I saw the price at $17.99 on their website in the afternoon but when I went there, their website showed $34.99
Missed out on a great deal Goes to show how quickly one must act to snatch a good opportunity!
Sorry to hear about that. Yes, jump on the deal when it's there. I had a feeling as soon as that Sunday hit, they'd have new ads in the papers.

This one turned out great for 3D, so I'm betting by late January it'll be on sale again.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 AM   #87
Banned

Dec 2012

I thougt the 3d was great in this movie.this was a great blind buy.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #88
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

MIB 3 is also more enjoyable the more I watch it, story wise.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #89
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Bump Thread:

Here's a link that says MIB 4 is in development. $615 million (390 million) made on MIB 3 worldwide according to the below news:

"Men In Black 4 Confirmed: Will Smith expected to don the suit again".
Columbia Pictures president Doug Belgrad, the man in charge of the studio behind the films, has given a fourth movie the green light.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012...n_1689771.html

Would be great to see Josh Brolin/Tommy Lee Jones somehow reappear with W Smith. The 3D in MIB 3 was way better than I was expecting. Mostly medium/strong 3D. Fun movie.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #90
Expert Member

Dec 2009
Toronto, Canada eh!

I had watched this earlier with friends in my HT and I really enjoyed it all. Great depth, and the story was really entertaining. Everyone left with positive things to say about the movie when it was finished.
JVC DLA-RS55 4K Shift Projector, 100" EluneVision Reference Studio 4K Tab-Tensioned Screen
*New unfinished basement is currently under construction* The new build thread!
64" Samsung PN64D8000 3D Plasma, Samsung BD-D5500 3D Bluray player
Main Floor: Samsung UN55D7000 LED 3DTV, Samsung BD-D5500
Beadroom: Panasonic TC-P50ST30 3D Plasma, Panasonic DMP-BDT110 3D Bluray player
Final Fantasy Black Cloud 160GB J-PS3, Xbox 360 Elite
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #91
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMAGDNIM View Post
I had watched this earlier with friends in my HT and I really enjoyed it all. Great depth, and the story was really entertaining. Everyone left with positive things to say about the movie when it was finished.

Nice. The 3D impresses each time I watch it. Strong 3D. MIB 3's 3D: Best hybrid conversion of 2012, with John Carter and Avengers a close 2nd.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #92
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Nice. The 3D impresses each time I watch it. Strong 3D. MIB 3's 3D: Best hybrid conversion of 2012, with John Carter and Avengers a close 2nd.
really? MIB3 is better than JC in 3D?
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #93
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
really? MIB3 is better than JC in 3D?
It's close, but even though John Carter and Avengers are epic movies, in my opinion MIB 3's 3D takes the win. Though Avengers would be first if the last chapter battle's 3D was also in the rest of the film.

I didn't notice any warping in MIB 3's 3D dialog shots, as I noticed in a few of John Carter's. And most of Avengers basic dialog shots have only medium 3D that pales in comparison to the film's final act 3D. Opinions, but yes, MIB 3 3D.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:24 AM   #94

Jan 2013

i just rented it based on this thread... gonna watch it later.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #95
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Worcester, UK

Quote:
It's close, but even though John Carter and Avengers are epic movies, in my opinion MIB 3's 3D takes the win. Though Avengers would be first if the last chapter battle's 3D was also in the rest of the film.

I didn't notice any warping in MIB 3's 3D dialog shots, as I noticed in a few of John Carter's. And most of Avengers basic dialog shots have only medium 3D that pales in comparison to the film's final act 3D. Opinions, but yes, MIB 3 3D.
Also this has two or three key scenes that have totally been designed with the 3D in mind, chiefly the first time jump wish is one of the best and most exciting 3D sequences i think i've ever seen. Great use of 3D and CGI.
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN
Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #96
Expert Member

Jan 2012

Quote:

Cant wait for MIB3 to drop to sub 20's!

Did anyone felt that Avengers last battle is eerily similar to Transformers DOM last battle? Ofcourse Avengers 3D and aspect ratio would put TDOM to shame.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #97
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by explore6
i just rented it based on this thread... gonna watch it later.
I'm interested in hearing your view of the 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Also this has two or three key scenes that have totally been designed with the 3D in mind, chiefly the first time jump wish is one of the best and most exciting 3D sequences i think i've ever seen. Great use of 3D and CGI.
Yes.
That shot was awesome along with many others. The short 2 minute "MIB 3D Conversion" documentary was great despite the very short time.

MIB 3 grows on me the more I watch it, which I didn't expect. I wouldn't mind if they convert MIB1 and 2 into 3D for blu ray 3D, provided it's as great a conversion as this is. Prime Focus' best work to this point, and I wasn't a fan of most of Prime Focus' prior, weaker 3D conversions.

Quote:
Cant wait for MIB3 to drop to sub 20's!

Did anyone felt that Avengers last battle is eerily similar to Transformers DOM last battle? Ofcourse Avengers 3D and aspect ratio would put TDOM to shame.
If it hits 20 again soon, I'd recommend a certain purchase. It might be awhile before it hits 14.99, but it's possible.
Yes, a number of similarities, good point.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM   #98
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011
Worcester, UK

I enjoyed the movie, i just didn't find it funny at all. I don't think Barry Sonnenfeld is a good judge of humour. Almost all the jokes in the MIB movies consist of someone (usually Will Smith or an alien) doing/ saying something wacky/ outrageous, then cutting to the other person (usually Tommy Lee Jones) just looking back with a stony expression for several seconds. Watch MIB 2, EVERY single 'joke' in the movie is like that. It gets a bit painful to watch after a while.

A better script could have made this movie fantastic. That said, the visuals were first rate, i liked the villain and also the alien character who could see different time periods at the same time.
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN
Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #99

Jan 2013

Quote:
I'm interested in hearing your view of the 3D.

i'm still new to 3-d so i'm still learning how it all works, i wasn't that big on men in black 3 overall, it sort of felt like i could've watched the movie without 3-d and there wouldn't have been a huge difference but maybe i wasn't picking up on some things, the scene where he jumped off the building was definitely really cool and a few others.
i guess as a newbie i'm still in the stage where i'm looking to be hit with it all throughout the movie and all of the time which i wasn't finding here.

i haven't been that impressed with non animation 3-d so far.

it wasn't bad just wasn't on the same level as the animation stuff i've been so impressed by.

i'm gonna have to learn to sort of watch the movie and let the 3-d happen instead of watch the 3-d.

Last edited by explorer6; 01-24-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:31 AM   #100
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I enjoyed the movie, i just didn't find it funny at all. I don't think Barry Sonnenfeld is a good judge of humour. Almost all the jokes in the MIB movies consist of someone (usually Will Smith or an alien) doing/ saying something wacky/ outrageous, then cutting to the other person (usually Tommy Lee Jones) just looking back with a stony expression for several seconds. Watch MIB 2, EVERY single 'joke' in the movie is like that. It gets a bit painful to watch after a while.

A better script could have made this movie fantastic. That said, the visuals were first rate, i liked the villain and also the alien character who could see different time periods at the same time.
Yes, the dead pan humor, which I enjoyed mostly, can be hit or miss. How did you like the 3D, Levcore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer6 View Post
i'm still new to 3-d so i'm still learning how it all works, i wasn't that big on men in black 3 overall, it sort of felt like i could've watched the movie without 3-d and there wouldn't have been a huge difference but maybe i wasn't picking up on some things, the scene where he jumped off the building was definitely really cool and a few others.

it wasn't bad just wasn't on the same level as the animation stuff i've been so impressed by.

i'm gonna have to learn to sort of watch the movie and let the 3-d happen instead of watch the 3-d.
Yes, good way to look at it.

Awhile back, the 3D market was flooded more or less with weaker 3D efforts, so finding anything that had clear 3D layers in it was not easy unless it was Imax 3D.

I'd say the best way to compare 3D to determine if it's Strong, Medium or Weak, is to watch the 3D in Avatar's jungle scenes, Hugo's City Train Station Hall, Journey to the Center of the Earth's adventure, and Flying Swords of Dragon Gates martial arts fights, all of which have strong 3D.

For weak 3D, there are plenty out there, mostly earlier conversions that were rushed by the studios/producers to meet a deadline. I hear Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part I of II has weak 3D, along with the infamous Clash of the Titans, which actually looks decent for 3D at home despite the flaws.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies