COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Paul McCartney & Wings: Rockshow (Blu-ray)
$15.88
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ministry of Fear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Armored Attack! (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
True Romance (Blu-ray)
$4.75
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$20.98
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Great Expectations (Blu-ray)
$14.99
A Christmas Tale (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #901
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhitenoise View Post
Oh how shortsighted you are. Those $25,000 TVs wont be that much forever. Again, give it 5 more years and I'm sure those TVs will cost $2000.

That's not the point anyway, it just proves that reference 1080p streaming is in the very near future. Try reading some time, you might learn something.
In reality, there may not even be a world in the next 5 years! I Knew what the purpose of your link was for (which was appreciated) but, blu-ray still isn't going anywhere.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-26-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #902
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
In reality, there may not even be a world in the next 5 years! I Knew what the purpose of your link was for (which was appreciated) but, blu-ray still isn't going anywhere.
Can we end this off topic back and forth please?

This type of discussion belongs in the Blu-ray Technology and News forum not the Blu-ray Players and Recorders forum which the Oppo BDP-103/105 Networked Blu-Ray players thread is part of.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #903
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post
Ok guy's i got another question, on the TV if i DONT have the HDMI BLACK LEVEL to LOW then the OPPO Is way way to bright, is it ok to have the tv hdmi black level set to low? Thanks
Usually you have several picture settings on a display, when used with a BD player you make use of the cinema mode, not standard or vivid.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #904
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
... I only have a rudimentary grasp of audio principles at this point, hope you folks may have some ideas to further this. Just upgraded speakers over the holidays to Polk monitor 75 mains, monitor 25c center. I have PSB side surrounds and rears with a Polk DSW550 sub. The 7.1 is going through a Yamaha RX V671 receiver. I'm happy with the speakers, but of course I'd like more power to the center and mains now, but have no pre outs on the Yamaha to run an amp, unfortunately. I'm getting my first Oppo (the 103) delivered, hopefully early next week. I've seen some discussion of it being used as a pre. Would I be able to run an amp from it to power my 3 up front speakers while letting the Yamaha do the surrounds? And if so, what happens to the 3 now amp powered speakers if I change sources from the Oppo to, say a cd player or tv in the system? Thanks, not really good at explaining things, hope it made sense...
Your trying to make it more involved by quite a bit. You could directly drive a amp with a Oppo via analog only if you didn't use a AVR or pre-pro normally. I think the room equalization would be a bit more challenging with a hybrid system as you contemplated.

Last edited by JohnAV; 01-26-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 PM   #905

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Your trying to make it more involved by quite a bit. You could directly drive a amp with a Oppo via analog only if you didn't use a AVR or pre-pro normally. I think the room equalization would be a bit more challenging with a hybrid system as you contemplated.
Thanks John, thought it was a bit of a pipe dream. I do think I'll take the opportunity to change many things once the Oppo arrives. Though I have satellite radio, vcr and cd player hooked into the system as it stands now, I don't really utilize them as much anymore, mostly just the HD pvr and blu-ray. I have a feeling I'll drop some of my equipment and use the Oppo as more of a hub than I do my present blu-ray by running the pvr into the HDMI input on the Oppo. I'm REALLY looking forward to the 103 getting here, I've not been a happy camper with the Samsung 5700 and won't be sorry to see it leave my main room.
"Drawn like moths we drift into the city"
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 PM   #906
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Can we end this off topic back and forth please?

This type of discussion belongs in the Blu-ray Technology and News forum not the Blu-ray Players and Recorders forum which the Oppo BDP-103/105 Networked Blu-Ray players thread is part of.
Sure, no problem, but mywhitenoise just won't throw in the towel! I'll bake him a cake, and all is well. I wanted to asked you a question. Can you really tell the difference in the A/V quality of the Oppo 103, vs a Panasonic, or are all BD players look the same? And what brand would you recommend, that's next to the Oppo in A/V quality, without all the bells and whistles? I still have one of Panasonic's first generation BD players, and the picture looks great, and the sound as well. There is nothing wrong with my Panasonic, I just want a different one, if it's a superior, if it's necessary.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-26-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #907

Sep 2010

Quote:
Usually you have several picture settings on a display, when used with a BD player you make use of the cinema mode, not standard or vivid.
OK thanks, my display is calibrated, but its the HDMI BLACK LEVEL in the picture settings on the TV, if its on NORMAL the OPPO looks washed out but on LOW, it FINE.
HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Old 01-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #908
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Sure, no problem, but mywhitenoise just won't throw in the towel! I'll bake him a cake, and all is well. I wanted to asked you a question. Can you really tell the difference in the A/V quality of the Oppo 103, vs a Panasonic, or are all BD players look the same? And what brand would you recommend, that's next to the Oppo in A/V quality, without all the bells and whistles? I still have one of Panasonic's first generation BD players, and the picture looks great, and the sound as well. There is nothing wrong with my Panasonic, I just want a different one, if it's a superior, if it's necessary.
Chris Heinonen answered this in his recent review of the BDP-103 in his conclusion:
Quote:
This year saw what I felt was one of the first mass-market players that really gave the Oppo a decent competitor in the Sony BDP-S790. With many of the features we expect on the Oppo, such as dual HDMI outputs and a Source Direct mode, the Sony offered up phenomenal performance for its price. However it also tripped up on the Blu-ray Benchmark a couple of times on tests that the Oppo passed without issue. It also lacks many of the more advanced features, like subtitle shift, that some dedicated home theaters need, and it is not a fully universal player with 8 channel analog outputs. Finally, it does not have the HDMI inputs and video processing for external sources that the Oppo offers.

Other players have come out firing at Oppo, but none has yet to dethrone it as the reference Blu-ray player. It has output that is perfect, has features that no one else has been able to offer, and has performance in all areas that leads the industry. For the single best Blu-ray picture available, the Oppo BDP-103 is untouchable.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #909
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Chris Heinonen answered this in his recent review of the BDP-103 in his conclusion:
I just realized, the review has 5 pages. I didn't finish reading the entire review because, I didn't scroll down the page far enough. I'll go back, and finish reading it, but I think I've made my decision. Your opinions on the Sony were quite variable, which made me lean towards the Oppo even more. So far, I've read nothing but rave reviews about Oppo, so it must be one fantastic player. The consensus positive reviews, speaks volumes. Thanks.

Last edited by slimdude; 01-27-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #910
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
OK thanks, my display is calibrated, but its the HDMI BLACK LEVEL in the picture settings on the TV, if its on NORMAL the OPPO looks washed out but on LOW, it FINE.
Whats shown here is pretty much what I use for HDMI-1. But feel free to let us know what color space option on the BDP-103 works better for your calibrated display. Yes i do use deep color =36 bits, as with my Samsung display I use xyYCC option to reduce the banding slightly.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #911

Sep 2010

The color space is set the auto and deep color off. I tried all of em but there the same on my tv.
HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 AM   #912

Sep 2010

My xyYCC is grayed out
HT~
2.1CH~
Old 01-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #913
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
My xyYCC is grayed out
On my Samsung xyYCC is only available to enable on cinema (movie) mode, not standard or dynamic (vivid). Also the video processing is disabled in that mode, as I am using a BD player.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #914

Sep 2010

Ok thanks, i have my samsung hacked, so maybe thats why.
HT~
2.1CH~
Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #915
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Whats shown here is pretty much what I use for HDMI-1. But feel free to let us know what color space option on the BDP-103 works better for your calibrated display. Yes i do use deep color =36 bits, as with my Samsung display I use xyYCC option to reduce the banding slightly.

Oh my goodness, what am I getting myself into. My Panasonic only has one HDMI output, and not nearly as detailed. I hope the set-up on this Oppo is not going to be complicated as it seems here.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 AM   #916
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Oh my goodness, what am I getting myself into. My Panasonic only has one HDMI output, and not nearly as detailed. I hope the set-up on this Oppo is not going to be complicated as it seems here.
Its not complicated as all that, download the user manual for hookup examples, link on OP in thread.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:38 AM   #917

Sep 2010

I also have the sharpness to +1 as oppo recomends it, so on my tv i have the sharpness at 0.
HT~
2.1CH~
Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 AM   #918
Special Member

Sep 2009

Oppo BDP-105: Not your average Blu-ray player - Steve Guttenberg - CNET - January 26, 2013

Quote:
Even by Oppo's high standards the BDP-105 is an extraordinary Blu-ray player. Sure, it's loaded with up-to-the-second features -- 4K upscaling, 2D-to-3D conversion, and a high-quality USB 2.0 digital-to-analog converter -- but what really makes the Oppo special is the sound. Pop the cover and look inside and you'll see why. Most of the 17-pound component's chassis space is devoted to the audio circuitry. That's nice, but the audio advantages will be completely irrelevant if you connect the BDP-105 to your receiver with a HDMI cable (the digital-to-analog conversion would then be handled in the receiver). The 105 was designed for buyers still using older $1,000 or $2,000 receivers from the days before HDMI connectivity, that would like to hear the Blu-rays' high-resolution DTS Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD soundtracks at their best. Since the audio won't be transmitted over the HDMI cable, you would run audio cables between the 105's seven- or five-channel analog outputs and the AV receiver's analog inputs.

Or you could forgo the receiver entirely and hook up the BDP-105 directly to a five- or seven-channel power amplifier. That approach would produce better sound quality, but would lack the connectivity, flexibility, and convenience of today's better receivers. Still, the BDP-105/power amp combo would sound better and be more powerful than most top-of-the-line receivers. The 105's connectivity options won't match any decent receiver, but its connectivity suite is a lot more extensive than most Blu-ray players. The Oppo has two HDMI inputs, so you can connect external devices such as set-top boxes and network streaming devices, three USB 2.0 ports, coaxial and optical digital inputs for satellite boxes, televisions, video-game consoles, etc., and there's a built-in headphone amplifier. The BDP-105's extensive bass management options are on par with a lot of AV receivers. The player's digital volume control is easy to use.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #919
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Bama Roll Tide Roll! UV collection:--------------765

I have an Panasonic SC-BTT770 5.1 3d HTIB because I currently live in an apartment. I will be moving into a house later this year and will upgrade then. But, can I connect this oppo into the HTIB and still use it as my main player? Don't know if that makes sense or not...but, I want to get this oppo when i get my tax rebate back (if i get it) and wanted to use it as my main player but only surround I have is that Panny...would this be a stupid idea? Thanks for any help/advice.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #920

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

Getting my Oppo 103 tomorrow. Can anyone tell me, on hook up if there is an audio advantage to using HDMI 2 to my receiver and HDMI 1 to my display, vs just HDMI 1 to my receiver then receiver to display. Guess what I'm asking, is there an advantage in audio for blu-ray and SACD going through HDMI 2? I don't have 3d so I don't need to do this simply for the display. Thanks...
"Drawn like moths we drift into the city"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders