Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.75
23 hrs ago
National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Spider-Man: Homecoming 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.24

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Dream Big: Engineering Our World 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Walking With Dinosaurs: The Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.90

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.75

Jack the Giant Slayer 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.50

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Gamer 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #141
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

I'll file the article next to the ones that say "TV is Dead," "Going to Movies is Dead," "Broadway is Dead," etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #142
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
I'll file the article next to the ones that say "TV is Dead," "Going to Movies is Dead," "Broadway is Dead," etc.
Going to the movies is not like it was when I was a kid...

Be nice to see a crowd again...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #143
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
And "Blu-ray just isn't finding an audience", of course.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #144
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

I'm getting bored...

I've assumed before, and never had confirmation, so I'm asking all who hate 3D; do you live in town's where finding the 2D option is impossible for the theatrical run?

Cause I don't understand it. Where I am, 3D is difficult to enjoy. I'm experiencing frustration and minor, MINOR hatred at 3D sessions of kids movies being late at night, the telle's are still pricey and cheaper 2D options the same size/specs are available by the dozens, and not many people in my family or workplace share my enthusiasm of it.

So if you hate it, it's being forced down your throat, right? No 2D sessions of films, except on the crappy little screen in Cinema 8, and they still haven't fixed that buzzing back left speaker after what, three years now? You go into your local Best Buy with $20 to spend on Avengers, but they only have the 3D edition and you leave empty handed? The picture's going on your telle, and there's a bargain on a later model on their website, but all your local outlets only have in stock the more expensive, 3D version?

This is how it is in parts of the world, right? So, you could imagine hating 3D if you lived there, yeah? So, haters, is this how it is?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #145
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
And "Blu-ray just isn't finding an audience", of course.
It's not dead.

On BestBuy.com:

DVD (90,552)
Blu-ray Disc (8,959)
Blu-ray 3D (178)

PSP's not dead either, they have 86 of those.

They even have 33 on-demand movies as well. It's not dead either.

So, on the third anniversary of 3-D, the major purveyor of Blu-Ray disks in the nation shows that 3D makes up a tiny percentage of high definition discs sold. Less than 2% of the market, in fact.

Blu-Ray, after competing with HD-DVD for the first 18 months, has done OK, but still has slightly less than 10% of the total discs as DVD.

So in 7 years or so, there are almost 9,000 disks for sale for Blu-Ray.

In three years, there are less than 200 for sale in Blu-Ray 3D. That means they exist; are being sold; and the number is growing. But how fast?

No, it's not dead. It's comatose.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #146
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

I think we should make this thread die and be dead already by no one posting in this thread.
PLEASE take a look at my NEW home theater gallery pics!!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #147
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
It's not dead.

On BestBuy.com:

DVD (90,552)
Blu-ray Disc (8,959)
Blu-ray 3D (178)

PSP's not dead either, they have 86 of those.

Interesting. The totals must change daily.

Searched BestBuy.com for Blu-ray 3D Movies with a 196 results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
In three years, there are less than 200 for sale in Blu-Ray 3D.
Not at all surprising since there have been less than 200 Titles made in 3D in the past three years with a few old 3D classics thrown in the mix.
Out of 196 Blu-ray 3Ds, I own 136, which has been a strain on my pocketbook already.
Many more new 3D productions will be released this year and I hope many more future 3D hits to come.

Paul
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #148

Mar 2012

Deadline just posted that the remaining 5 Star Wars conversions have been canceled. Plus Disney just canceled Little Mermaid. Disney was arguably the biggest 3d supporter so I am a tad worried for the first time.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #149
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccinsf View Post
Deadline just posted that the remaining 5 Star Wars conversions have been canceled. Plus Disney just canceled Little Mermaid. Disney was arguably the biggest 3d supporter so I am a tad worried for the first time.
Yeah..but those are conversions of flicks that are how old??? Now...if I see a report saying that 3D movies and 3D Blu-ray were stopping altogether...then I would be worried.
PLEASE take a look at my NEW home theater gallery pics!!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #150
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
The core audience is young adults for 3D. There is not much interest by parents in putting 3D glasses on small kids, for a variety of reasons, including health and cost.

What is of concern is that the Star Wars movies do go straight to the core audience. Without archive material being converted, the library of 3D material is going to remain scarce. Disney, notorious for milking their releases, may not be trying to do the quintuple-dipping that Lucas loved so much.

Fewer releases fuel demand once the film comes out, but for that particular film, not 3D in general.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #151
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Quote:
Update: StarWars.com has offered up an official statement on Deadline's story, saying that "Lucasfilm has decided to postpone this fall's scheduled release of Star Wars Episodes II and III in 3D. Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans. We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date."
Link
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 01-28-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 PM   #152
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

I think at this point, we need to have a nice seminar training session helping people to resolve their difficulties distinguishing "Postpone" from "Cancel".
Seems to be a lot of those difficulties about, lately.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #153

Oct 2009
Default 3D dead? Only if you're a cyclops.

First it's an article written by someone who doesn't like 3D technology to begin with the, "3D is dead - and the world's a better place for it." The accompanying photo is silly too. Taken outside, lifts up 3D glasses to see a world in… hey this isn't 2D, it's still freakin' 3D!

It can't be the 3D effect that some insist on calling a "fad" when everyday living is in 3D. It's just their insecurities in wearing 3D glasses and worried what other people will think what they look like with them on.

I don't get this stigma some people have with 3D glasses, considering the effect they assist in providing. People have no objection to wearing stereo headphones to listen to music - but wear something for stereo vision? The horror. No is looking at you with your 3D glasses on, they're looking at the movie. Call 3D glasses "sunglasses" and people will wear them and actually think they look cool.

I think the problem with 3D TV was how it was marketed. Everyone knows what a 3D movie is and that you wear 3D glasses to see the 3D effect. So when the less informed hear about 3D TV, they don't want anything to do with it because they don't want to be constantly wear 3D glasses every time just to watch the news. When in reality, you watch 3D when you feel like it. For me, it's always a 3D blu ray movie once and a while and the rest is 2D. And because the majority is still 2D, when 3D is watched, it appears to stand out even more.

As for 2D conversions to 3D - I dislike them and see no point in them. It's a tedious job, time consuming, expensive and in the end, not a true 3D experience - compared to something originally shot in 3D.

3D technology has been around since the 1844. There will always be an interest and desire to make it better. It will never die.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #154
Blu-ray Insider

Nov 2009
Woodland Hills, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I think at this point, we need to have a nice seminar training session helping people to resolve their difficulties distinguishing "Postpone" from "Cancel".
Seems to be a lot of those difficulties about, lately.
Well, to be fair... until "further plans" are discussed, what's the difference? Things get delayed all the time that ultimately never see the light of day. A movie version of Metal Gear Solid was optioned and announced in 2006, but has repeatedly been delayed and, seven years later, we're no closer to seeing that made despite simply being "delayed."

And, in addition, the original story from Deadline says "canceled," not "delayed." And why delay something in the homestretch to release it and Lucasfilm is in a bit of a lull? Or does it make more sense to re-fire the 3D burners when they get hip-deep in a new trilogy?

And just because Starwars.com uses the "D" word... didn't JJ Abrams say he wasn't directing Star Wars a few months ago. Official doesn't always ultimately mean true.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...
Accuracy isn't.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #155

Mar 2012

Yeah the original deadline article said cancelled. But as per usual when Nikki Finke gets something wrong she quietly edits it without notation.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #156
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Independence Day has been dropped from it's 4th of July re-release date this year too...
Old 01-29-2013, 05:38 AM   #157
Expert Member

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyCat View Post

As for 2D conversions to 3D - I dislike them and see no point in them. It's a tedious job, time consuming, expensive and in the end, not a true 3D experience - compared to something originally shot in 3D.
You haven't seen Titanic 3D, have you?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #158

Jun 2009
Sydney Australia

Yes, 4k is all the hype this year. But the truth of the matter is that 4k will be slower coming to market than 3D.

Firstly, the screens are bloody expensive, there is no real content and they are still trying to work out how 4k material can be put onto bluray. Basically the bluray will need to have 4 times their present capacity.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned but further down the line we will see 4k 3D movies. 4k is still only 2D and for those of us who have experienced true 3D (not converted 2D) know how very impressive it can be.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #159

Oct 2011

They are apparently long finished the conversions of Episode II and III. The person in charge of the conversions (forget his name) said they were half way through the conversion of Episode II when Epidode I was released in 3D. So they would have finished the prequels by now. They are just on the shelf waiting for the right time to release for now.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #160
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
New York / Steelbook™ - 376

Well, with Disney canning The Little Mermaid theatrical 3d release, and Star Wars Ep II and III being sidelined for now im beginning to wonder if 3d is fizzling out. I sure hope not.
Samsung - QN65Q9 - 4K
Samsung - un40d6420uf - 3D
Panasonic - DMPBDT320/3D (Region A)
Oppo - UDP-203 & 205(Both Region Free)
Onkyo - TX-RZ820/Atmos/dts X/HDR/4K
Denon - DP-300F w/Ortofon 2m Bronze
Polk RTA8T Monitors(6),LSiM706c,/Polk 80 F/X-LS-Atmos(2)
Definitive SuperCube 2000/ 7.5Pyle Pro PT8000CH 8-Channel Stereo/Mono Amplifier
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, poping