COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$24.70
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Paul McCartney & Wings: Rockshow (Blu-ray)
$15.88
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ministry of Fear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Great Expectations (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Like Someone in Love (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Despicable Me 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.99
A Christmas Tale (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #61
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3dfan View Post
sorry to bust your bubble, but 3D IS unDEAD

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452487/3d-is-not-dead
No, you mean it's alive--
This THREAD is Undead, shuffling along as a zombie, long without the life support of that goofy CES article in the first post that got the whole thing wrong to begin with.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #62

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEyes View Post
Wow what is with all these anti-3D posts? Could it be by people who just can't see 3D?
!
They are probably cinema hipsters. "Oh, you all like that shiny new thing as well? Yeah it's shit!"
Old 01-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #63
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big3dfan View Post
sorry to bust your bubble, but 3D IS unDEAD

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452487/3d-is-not-dead
Hey, cheers for the link!

Are we allowed to link other forums? I don't see a problem, but I thought someone got in trouble a while back. May have been something else, but you might want to summarise to article.

There are five 3D movies playing at my local at the moment, all in 2D. There's one session a day, three days a week, of Life of Pi at 9:40PM. I like to take my son early in the day, so it's 2D for us.

Dead in some demographics, which is what is confusing some people. But alive and well in many countries (some users have complained of NO 2D showings at their local), which is what leads to impressive figures and positive 3D articles.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #64
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
They are probably cinema hipsters. "Oh, you all like that shiny new thing as well? Yeah it's shit!"
I can't stand all this ****ing sound in movies! Explosions, music, people ****ing talking and talking like ****ing idiots. Whatever happened to a guy with a piano in the cinema? These ****ing ****head projectionists these days wouldn't know how to lace ****ing film through a projector, or play a single ****ing key on the ****ing piano! Dumb ****ing ****s!

And don't get me started on all this bull**** colour! If I wanted colour I'd look at a ****ing rainbow, not go to a ****ing cinema! How stupid are people?

I do like 3D, but I don't see how they're going to fit that extra image on a single cassette tape? Maybe use the long-play function to print two images at once, instead of double the length of the tape? Until they figure this out, 3DTV is going to fail!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #65
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

This just in Stereo is also dead.

Mono rulez!
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #66

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhampton View Post
This just in Stereo is also dead.

Mono rulez!
Who needs sound anyway ... and colour, for that matter ...

Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #67
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth

Don't pay any attention to the story, because that is all it is... a story. 3D is far from being dead. The real 3D is just getting started.
Blu-ray Player/s: Sony BDP-S6200, BDP-S790, BDP-S780, BDP-S770 and BDP-S1
PS3: PlayStation 3 Console 60GB Hard Drive
Audio1 : Pioneer SC-57 (9.2)
Speakers: BOSE Acoustimass 16 Series II
Audio 2: BOSE 3•2•1 Series II DVD Home Entertainment System (which is in the whoopee room)
Video 1: Sony BRAVIA XBR55HX929 55-Inch 1080p 3D LCD HDTV
Video 2: Samsung LN52B630 52” 1080p LCD HDTV (which is also in the whoopee room)
Old 01-27-2013, 01:35 AM   #68

Oct 2011
-

I think Netflix's announcement that they will stream 3D will be a game changer...at least for me. I've been on the fence, but that may change now.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #69
Banned

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos519 View Post
That's not what I got from that article. Apparently, major companies just aren't bragging about 3d anymore. Probably because of the new kid on the block, 4k. 3d is not dead, it just yesterdays news. If it were dead, we wouldn't have a slew of 3d movies coming out this year. Plus the technology of non glasses 3d is around the corner. If I would have heard it on CNN, then I would worry. This verge.com guy is just stating what he got from the ces show.
Yes, whatever cnn says you follow. LMAO
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #70
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007

I'll file the article next to the ones that say "TV is Dead," "Going to Movies is Dead," "Broadway is Dead," etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #71
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
I'll file the article next to the ones that say "TV is Dead," "Going to Movies is Dead," "Broadway is Dead," etc.
Going to the movies is not like it was when I was a kid...

Be nice to see a crowd again...
Old 01-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #72
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskies View Post
And "Blu-ray just isn't finding an audience", of course.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #73
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

I'm getting bored...

I've assumed before, and never had confirmation, so I'm asking all who hate 3D; do you live in town's where finding the 2D option is impossible for the theatrical run?

Cause I don't understand it. Where I am, 3D is difficult to enjoy. I'm experiencing frustration and minor, MINOR hatred at 3D sessions of kids movies being late at night, the telle's are still pricey and cheaper 2D options the same size/specs are available by the dozens, and not many people in my family or workplace share my enthusiasm of it.

So if you hate it, it's being forced down your throat, right? No 2D sessions of films, except on the crappy little screen in Cinema 8, and they still haven't fixed that buzzing back left speaker after what, three years now? You go into your local Best Buy with $20 to spend on Avengers, but they only have the 3D edition and you leave empty handed? The picture's going on your telle, and there's a bargain on a later model on their website, but all your local outlets only have in stock the more expensive, 3D version?

This is how it is in parts of the world, right? So, you could imagine hating 3D if you lived there, yeah? So, haters, is this how it is?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #74
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
And "Blu-ray just isn't finding an audience", of course.
It's not dead.

On BestBuy.com:

DVD (90,552)
Blu-ray Disc (8,959)
Blu-ray 3D (178)

PSP's not dead either, they have 86 of those.

They even have 33 on-demand movies as well. It's not dead either.

So, on the third anniversary of 3-D, the major purveyor of Blu-Ray disks in the nation shows that 3D makes up a tiny percentage of high definition discs sold. Less than 2% of the market, in fact.

Blu-Ray, after competing with HD-DVD for the first 18 months, has done OK, but still has slightly less than 10% of the total discs as DVD.

So in 7 years or so, there are almost 9,000 disks for sale for Blu-Ray.

In three years, there are less than 200 for sale in Blu-Ray 3D. That means they exist; are being sold; and the number is growing. But how fast?

No, it's not dead. It's comatose.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #75
Power Member

Aug 2012

I think we should make this thread die and be dead already by no one posting in this thread.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #76
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
It's not dead.

On BestBuy.com:

DVD (90,552)
Blu-ray Disc (8,959)
Blu-ray 3D (178)

PSP's not dead either, they have 86 of those.

Interesting. The totals must change daily.

Searched BestBuy.com for Blu-ray 3D Movies with a 196 results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
In three years, there are less than 200 for sale in Blu-Ray 3D.
Not at all surprising since there have been less than 200 Titles made in 3D in the past three years with a few old 3D classics thrown in the mix.
Out of 196 Blu-ray 3Ds, I own 136, which has been a strain on my pocketbook already.
Many more new 3D productions will be released this year and I hope many more future 3D hits to come.

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #77

Mar 2012

Deadline just posted that the remaining 5 Star Wars conversions have been canceled. Plus Disney just canceled Little Mermaid. Disney was arguably the biggest 3d supporter so I am a tad worried for the first time.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #78
Power Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccinsf View Post
Deadline just posted that the remaining 5 Star Wars conversions have been canceled. Plus Disney just canceled Little Mermaid. Disney was arguably the biggest 3d supporter so I am a tad worried for the first time.
Yeah..but those are conversions of flicks that are how old??? Now...if I see a report saying that 3D movies and 3D Blu-ray were stopping altogether...then I would be worried.
My mancave:

Displays - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590
Game system - Sony PS3 320GB
Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd)
Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), MacBook Pro (17" i5 500GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 PM   #79
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
The core audience is young adults for 3D. There is not much interest by parents in putting 3D glasses on small kids, for a variety of reasons, including health and cost.

What is of concern is that the Star Wars movies do go straight to the core audience. Without archive material being converted, the library of 3D material is going to remain scarce. Disney, notorious for milking their releases, may not be trying to do the quintuple-dipping that Lucas loved so much.

Fewer releases fuel demand once the film comes out, but for that particular film, not 3D in general.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #80
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Quote:
Update: StarWars.com has offered up an official statement on Deadline's story, saying that "Lucasfilm has decided to postpone this fall's scheduled release of Star Wars Episodes II and III in 3D. Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100 percent of our efforts on Star Wars: Episode VII in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans. We will post further information about our 3D release plans at a later date."
Link
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 01-28-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies