COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Maniac (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Leonard Cohen: Live at the Isle of Wight 1970 (Blu-ray)
$11.98
The Descendants (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Extant: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$49.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 PM   #1

Aug 2007
Default Bowers & Wilkins Speaker buzz

Hello All,

I just got my new speaker set up and have a question about a possible issue in my system. I purchased the Bowers & Wilkins 805 diamonds and the matching htm4 diamond center. What I'm noticing is a hum or buzzing sound out of the mid range on the left and right. All 3 tweeters have a faint static sound to them. I'm using a Marantz AV7701 for a processor and an Emotiva XPA5 for the amp, Audioquest King Cobra 1m unbalanced interconnects. This happens when nothing is on. The XPA5 is plugged directly into a Panamax 5300pm as well. Any ideas?

I should also note that I have a pair of Bowers & Wilkins cm12's running and get no noise like this from them.

Last edited by talbers23; 01-26-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #2

Aug 2007

The noise did diminish quite a bit when the treadmill 2 floors up was no longer in use, making it impossible to hear this noise from 4'. I thought the Panamx was supposed to make the power "clean."

I guess what I question now is, is this normal and can I harm my speakers?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #3

Nov 2008
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbers23 View Post
The noise did diminish quite a bit when the treadmill 2 floors up was no longer in use, making it impossible to hear this noise from 4'. I thought the Panamx was supposed to make the power "clean."

Sounds like a grounding issue.
Projector: JVC X55r, Screen:120" DNP Supernova 2.3 gain
Preamp: Marantz av8801, Amp: Emotiva xpa5
Blu-ray Player:OPPO BDP-103 : DVR: Directv HR24-500
Speakers:Center- Martin Logan Stage
Fronts- Martin Logan Spire Surrounds- Polk Audio FXI5 Sub: Martin Logan Depth i
Surge Protector: Furman Elite 15pfi
Remote: Harmony 900
Audioquest rocket 33, vodka, cinnamon, diamondback xlr, Sub1.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:

Any electrical motor, anywhere between you and the breaker, is a pain. Air conditioners and refrigerators are especially troublesome.

The usual way to suspend interruption on the circuit is to isolate it with an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS). Power goes into the UPS, charges a battery, and equipment power comes from the battery. This is not going to be practical for you since you're trying to fuel an XPA-5 and other high current gear.

This may or may not work for you, but you might want to get a long, heavy extension cord and try various circuits in your place. Plug the Panamax in it, and test various wall sockets, just to see if any make less (or no) noise. At least you'll know it's the input power.

It could be that blasted treadmill, or someone's refrigerator or something. Some unit is buzzing along right at the same 60Hz as the wall current, and the Panamax will have a hard time dealing with that - it's actually suited for much faster and bigger spikes or dips than you're seeing.

Good luck, I know it's frustrating. Your gear is probably just fine.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

Agreed. It's not dangerous to your gear, and you may have a ground loop issue you need to isolate. Doing so is well worth your effort--it just requires some serious trouble-shooting on your part. I would also avoid the Panamax products and get a PS Audio power plant. I'm using the P5.

Congrats on your L/R/C diamond speakers, by the way!
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 AM   #6

Jan 2008
Southern California

Buzzing and hum are not necessarily the fault of your speakers or equipment. Usually, it means something else is causing it.

Read the Ground Hum & Ground Loop Isolators thread.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #7

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
Agreed. It's not dangerous to your gear, and you may have a ground loop issue you need to isolate. Doing so is well worth your effort--it just requires some serious trouble-shooting on your part. I would also avoid the Panamax products and get a PS Audio power plant. I'm using the P5.

Congrats on your L/R/C diamond speakers, by the way!
Thank you. Stunning speakers.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #8

Aug 2007

I played around for a decent part of the day. I ended plugging the amp into a very heavy duty extension cable and no matter what outlet I plugged it into, even different breakers I still got the hum. I moved speaker wire away from power cords too. Last thing I can think to try is to ground my amp to one of the panamax conditioners.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 AM   #9

Aug 2007

Spent about 5 hours on this over the past 2 days. I've gone as far as only having the amp hooked up to the speakers, no processor at all. Is it possible that this is being caused by a to much power from my amp? It's a 200 watt per channel amp and my speakers are max 120. I've also tried grounding the amp to the processor, then amp to processor to panamax with no resolve. I'm also still confused why this is much more apparent in the right speaker, then left and barley noticeable in the center. Is it possible new speaker wire would help? I plan on upgrading soon but am out of money because of the speakers so it may be a while on that.

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far, I appreciate the help.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #10

Aug 2007

I called Emotiva and explained to them all the trouble shooting I had done to this point. At the time I had everything unhooked except for the amp plugged in by itself and speaker wire to speakers. They had me switch the amp from unbalanced to balanced for all 5 channels and the noise went away. They immediately said it was an amp issue and gave me an RA#. I have to pay to ship it back, roughly $50 but it will be fixed and shipped back for free.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #11

Oct 2007
Alamogordo NM 88310

Quote:
I called Emotiva and explained to them all the trouble shooting I had done to this point. At the time I had everything unhooked except for the amp plugged in by itself and speaker wire to speakers. They had me switch the amp from unbalanced to balanced for all 5 channels and the noise went away. They immediately said it was an amp issue and gave me an RA#. I have to pay to ship it back, roughly $50 but it will be fixed and shipped back for free.
That's awesome news man! I know the noise would drive me absolutely nuts especially on gear that nice!
Living Room: TV: Samsung LN55A950 AVR: Denon AVR 2809CI Blu-Ray Player: Oppo BDP 93
Fronts: JBL s312 Center: JBL scenter Rears: JBL s38 Subs: One A3 300 Elemental Design subwoofer. DUAL HSU VTF-15H Subwoofers

Bedroom: TV: Samsung LN46A650 Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP S360
Computer Room: TV: Sony KDL 32-S2000 Blu-Ray Player: PS3 Games: Xbox 360 and Wii systems
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Wow. That's a first for me, especially with the treadmill upstairs...good news, man.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #13

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Wow. That's a first for me, especially with the treadmill upstairs...good news, man.
Do you mean its a first for you hearing this issue or a first that Emo is fixing it?
Old 01-30-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Do you mean its a first for you hearing this issue or a first that Emo is fixing it?
First time I've heard about unbalanced inputs freaking out the sound - I was dead set on getting an Emo 5-channel, but now I'm leaning against it, as I don't really need it. Glad they're fixing it.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #15

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
First time I've heard about unbalanced inputs freaking out the sound - I was dead set on getting an Emo 5-channel, but now I'm leaning against it, as I don't really need it. Glad they're fixing it.
I'm not sure that its that common of an issue where I wouldn't buy one of the amps. I do however have a bad feeling that they'll get it and say everything fine though. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. Not really sure where I'd go if I didn't use the Emo. I have a processor so I'm stuck needing an amp.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 AM   #16

Aug 2007

FedEx picked up the outer box from Emotiva today. Hopefully I'll be able to ship the amp this week yet. I will post how things go. Not sure why but I have a fear that the amp will get to Emotiva and they will say nothings wrong even though they walked me through the trouble shooting.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

I don't know why people love Emotiva so much. There are much better amps out there. But it's good that you figured out the cause of the noise and at least the company is standing behind its product--at least if you pay shipping.
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 01-31-2013, 03:37 PM   #18

Feb 2010

Quote:
FedEx picked up the outer box from Emotiva today. Hopefully I'll be able to ship the amp this week yet. I will post how things go. Not sure why but I have a fear that the amp will get to Emotiva and they will say nothings wrong even though they walked me through the trouble shooting.
Time for an upgrade
Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #19

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
I don't know why people love Emotiva so much. There are much better amps out there. But it's good that you figured out the cause of the noise and at least the company is standing behind its product--at least if you pay shipping.
People love them because of their price/performance.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:37 AM   #20

Aug 2007

I was actually looking at 2 different amps recently but I'm not sure on them. I know I don't need a ton of power, 120 watts per channel or more will do just fine. I was looking at the Matantz mm7055 or the Anthem pva5. It would take me a bit longer to afford the Anthem and it lacks balanced inputs but I'm not sure that matters. Any other suggestions? Anyone personally use either?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers