Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default Sennheiser HD800

Happy New Year, everyone!

... and this year is going to be a Happy One!

Through a recent sales promotion at work, I was able to earn myself a pair of new headphones, and as of today, they are on the way to me!

Sennheiser HD800

The HD800s have a street price of $1499.99.

I am really excited. I have had the opportunity to use and listen to these on 3 separate occasions before, and was very very pleased.

I will most likely have to buy a dedicated, or higher end Headphone Amplifier than I currently have, but since the phones didn't cost me anything, I am quite alright with that!

Here are a few stock pictures, but I'll take and post some other ones once I receive my set!



Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is online now
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
55
182
3
3
8
Default

Hi Adam!

Long time no see and nice score on those cans! And a big congrats on the promotion! Woohoo!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
ZIPPO ZIPPO is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
ZIPPO's Avatar
 
May 2008
Columbus, Ohio
148
472
3
3
Default

Congrats!
Nothing beats FREE...
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS



"What is dead may never die..."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Hi Adam!

Long time no see and nice score on those cans! And a big congrats on the promotion! Woohoo!
Hi John! Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPO View Post
Congrats!
Nothing beats FREE...
Thank you, Zippo! This is definitely true!

I'll be sure to take some pictures and post them once I receive them.
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Nisei Nisei is offline
Expert Member
 
Nisei's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains
338
28
Default

I know what I would do...
Sell these unopened for at least $1000 and buy a pair of Sennheiser HD650 for $400
You're not an audiophile so you won't hear any difference and you'll have $600 to spend on Blu-rays
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei View Post
You're not an audiophile so you won't hear any difference and you'll have $600 to spend on Blu-rays
Well, you would be incorrect there.

I have DEMO'd the HD800 and HD650 side by side, and the difference is easily worth it for me to keep the HD800s, will probably me even more so once I get my new headphone amplifier to replace my current one.
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
569
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
Well, you would be incorrect there.

I have DEMO'd the HD800 and HD650 side by side, and the difference is easily worth it for me to keep the HD800s, will probably me even more so once I get my new headphone amplifier to replace my current one.
What are you looking at to power those cans? Cheap way is to find a vintage receiver with headphones out. The vintage gear usually connects the phone out on the mains. I'm using an old H/K and all my phones are real happy and my vintage AKG K340 electrostats are very demanding, up high on the list. They sound wonderful amp'ed like that. might be cheaper than a dedicated
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
What are you looking at to power those cans? Cheap way is to find a vintage receiver with headphones out. The vintage gear usually connects the phone out on the mains. I'm using an old H/K and all my phones are real happy and my vintage AKG K340 electrostats are very demanding, up high on the list. They sound wonderful amp'ed like that. might be cheaper than a dedicated
Hey pentatonic,

Thanks for your advice. Currently, I have this dedicated Headphone amp by Pro-ject:

Head Box S This sounds pretty good with some of my lower impedance BeyerDynamic headphones, and I'm sure I'll try this one out with the HD800 once I receive them, but I have already been looking to order another more specific amp to drive them.

I am about 95% sure though, that this is the one I am going to go with once I receive the HD800s. I didn't want to order it too far in advance as then I would not be able to return it if it isn't quite what I was hoping for.

Schiit Audio - Valhalla


This amp is really designed specifically for higher impedance cans, specifically 300-600 ohms. (Like the Senny HD800 or Beyer T1).

Been looking at a few other options as well, but that is where I am at so far.
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:


Last edited by Adrock; 01-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
569
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
Hey Pentatonic,

Thanks for your advice. Currently, I have this dedicated Headphone amp by Pro-ject:

Head Box S This sounds pretty good with some of my lower impedance BeyerDynamic headphones, and I'm sure I'll try this one out with the HD800 once I receive them, but I have already been looking to order another more specific amp to drive them.

I am about 95% sure though, that this is the one I am going to go with once I receive the HD800s. I didn't want to order it too far in advance as then I would not be able to return it if it isn't quite what I was hoping for.

Schiit Audio - Valhalla


This amp is really designed specifically for higher impedance cans, specifically 300-600 ohms. (Like the Senny HD800 or Beyer T1).

Been looking at a few other options as well, but that is where I am at so far.
Seems like you know your Schiit . I was going to get something like that or a Little Dot MkIII but the receiver just works wonders, and I added 2 speakers also (my pc room). They are bigger but work well (just a resistor lowering the power). My K340 are 400 ohms and possibly in the top 5 as hard to drive. I am not even looking for a dedicated anymore, I doubt they would be better.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Seems like you know your Schiit .


Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
I was going to get something like that or a Little Dot MkIII but the receiver just works wonders, and I added 2 speakers also (my pc room). They are bigger but work well (just a resistor lowering the power). My K340 are 400 ohms and possibly in the top 5 as hard to drive. I am not even looking for a dedicated anymore, I doubt they would be better.
Yeah, I debated doing something similar and possibly going that route, but I think dedicated would work better for my uses. This way, I can use it with either my Turn Table setup, with my theater/blu-ray set up, or I might even consider picking up this as well:

Schiit - Bi-Frost

Then, I'll have a really nice dedicated DAC as well as amp, so if I want to use it for any digital or analog source, I'll pretty much be covered with some high quality components. Still not sure about the DAC yet, but I have been toying with it for use with my main computer/audio workstation.

Anyways, a vintage receiver would probably be a good idea except for the fact it would probably be too big and hard to move around if I want to use it in other rooms or with other sources.

Thanks for your input though!
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
569
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post




Yeah, I debated doing something similar and possibly going that route, but I think dedicated would work better for my uses. This way, I can use it with either my Turn Table setup, with my theater/blu-ray set up, or I might even consider picking up this as well:

Schiit - Bi-Frost

Then, I'll have a really nice dedicated DAC as well as amp, so if I want to use it for any digital or analog source, I'll pretty much be covered with some high quality components. Still not sure about the DAC yet, but I have been toying with it for use with my main computer/audio workstation.

Anyways, a vintage receiver would probably be a good idea except for the fact it would probably be too big and hard to move around if I want to use it in other rooms or with other sources.

Thanks for your input though!
Damn, sure a DAC, you get the cans for free so def worth it. The Bi-Frost is well received and they match up well. Too bad Schiit doesn't make a DAC/AMP in one unit.

Going tube is nice and has it's advantages. Looking forward to your impression once all hooked up
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Damn, sure a DAC, you get the cans for free so def worth it. The Bi-Frost is well received and they match up well. Too bad Schiit doesn't make a DAC/AMP in one unit.

Going tube is nice and has it's advantages. Looking forward to your impression once all hooked up
That is what I was thinking. Free cans makes it definitely worth it. Yeah, it would be nice if Schiit did have a combo DAC/HA but, their products are pretty reasonably priced for the quality components that they use, and for being made in the US. 5 Year warranty, too.

Will do! Yeah, I'll be sure to take and post some pics and impressions once I get the cans, and eventually the Valhalla and maybe Bi-Frost as well.
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
569
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
That is what I was thinking. Free cans makes it definitely worth it. Yeah, it would be nice if Schiit did have a combo DAC/HA but, their products are pretty reasonably priced for the quality components that they use, and for being made in the US. 5 Year warranty, too.

Will do! Yeah, I'll be sure to take and post some pics and impressions once I get the cans, and eventually the Valhalla and maybe Bi-Frost as well.
. Good luck, and enjoy
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
. Good luck, and enjoy
Thanks, pentatonic!
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default

Update:



I ordered not only my headphone amp, but also a really nice DAC.

Here are links and pics:

Should be delivered this week, and my headphones should be arriving next week. Once I receive everything, I'll post some pictures and reviews.

DAC

Schiit - BiFrost





Headphone Amp

Schiit - Valhalla

Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #16
ZIPPO ZIPPO is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
ZIPPO's Avatar
 
May 2008
Columbus, Ohio
148
472
3
3
Default

Nice DAC & amp choice! I use their Magni/Modi combo with my computer, good stuff.
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS



"What is dead may never die..."
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #17
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPO View Post
Nice DAC & amp choice! I use their Magni/Modi combo with my computer, good stuff.
Thanks, ZIPPO. That is great to hear about the M&M Combo. I may end up ordering that for my other computer setup as well. Really looking forward to the Bi/Val combo though. I love supporting such a cool US company as well.
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
Zyclone Zyclone is offline
Moderator
 
Zyclone's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow
3
304
Default

congrats on the new cans mate enjoy them
47 inch 1080p LG LCD - DMP BDT 300 GN
27 inch 720p Samsung LCD - Samsung Bluray Player
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Adrock Adrock is online now
Moderator
 
Adrock's Avatar
 
Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
65
623
48
4
1
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyclone View Post
congrats on the new cans mate enjoy them
Thank you, Zyclone.
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
meremortal meremortal is online now
Power Member
 
meremortal's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Bedford Falls
37
Default

Always wanted to hear these. I've had the HD600s for years and love them. They're a downright bargain these days and still hold up well, but can't deny I've thought of 'moving up' the Sennheiser line. Maybe one day. Amazing that you scored these for free.
Detective Cameron: I got good news and bad news, girls. The good news is your dates are here.
Sorority Sister: What's the bad news?
Detective Cameron: They're dead.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Tags
bifrost, hd800, schiit, sennheiser, valhalla

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 PM.