Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
Default Sennheiser HD800

Happy New Year, everyone!

... and this year is going to be a Happy One!

Through a recent sales promotion at work, I was able to earn myself a pair of new headphones, and as of today, they are on the way to me!

Sennheiser HD800

The HD800s have a street price of $1499.99.

I am really excited. I have had the opportunity to use and listen to these on 3 separate occasions before, and was very very pleased.

I will most likely have to buy a dedicated, or higher end Headphone Amplifier than I currently have, but since the phones didn't cost me anything, I am quite alright with that!

Here are a few stock pictures, but I'll take and post some other ones once I receive my set!

Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

Old 01-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #2

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Hi Adam!

Long time no see and nice score on those cans! And a big congrats on the promotion! Woohoo!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Congrats!
Nothing beats FREE...
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS

"What is dead may never die..."
Old 01-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #4

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Hi Adam!

Long time no see and nice score on those cans! And a big congrats on the promotion! Woohoo!
Hi John! Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPO View Post
Congrats!
Nothing beats FREE...
Thank you, Zippo! This is definitely true!

I'll be sure to take some pictures and post them once I receive them.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

I know what I would do...
Sell these unopened for at least $1000 and buy a pair of Sennheiser HD650 for $400
You're not an audiophile so you won't hear any difference and you'll have $600 to spend on Blu-rays
Old 01-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #6

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei View Post
You're not an audiophile so you won't hear any difference and you'll have $600 to spend on Blu-rays
Well, you would be incorrect there.

I have DEMO'd the HD800 and HD650 side by side, and the difference is easily worth it for me to keep the HD800s, will probably me even more so once I get my new headphone amplifier to replace my current one.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
Well, you would be incorrect there.

I have DEMO'd the HD800 and HD650 side by side, and the difference is easily worth it for me to keep the HD800s, will probably me even more so once I get my new headphone amplifier to replace my current one.
What are you looking at to power those cans? Cheap way is to find a vintage receiver with headphones out. The vintage gear usually connects the phone out on the mains. I'm using an old H/K and all my phones are real happy and my vintage AKG K340 electrostats are very demanding, up high on the list. They sound wonderful amp'ed like that. might be cheaper than a dedicated
Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #8

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
What are you looking at to power those cans? Cheap way is to find a vintage receiver with headphones out. The vintage gear usually connects the phone out on the mains. I'm using an old H/K and all my phones are real happy and my vintage AKG K340 electrostats are very demanding, up high on the list. They sound wonderful amp'ed like that. might be cheaper than a dedicated
Hey pentatonic,

Thanks for your advice. Currently, I have this dedicated Headphone amp by Pro-ject:

Head Box S This sounds pretty good with some of my lower impedance BeyerDynamic headphones, and I'm sure I'll try this one out with the HD800 once I receive them, but I have already been looking to order another more specific amp to drive them.

I am about 95% sure though, that this is the one I am going to go with once I receive the HD800s. I didn't want to order it too far in advance as then I would not be able to return it if it isn't quite what I was hoping for.

Schiit Audio - Valhalla

This amp is really designed specifically for higher impedance cans, specifically 300-600 ohms. (Like the Senny HD800 or Beyer T1).

Been looking at a few other options as well, but that is where I am at so far.

Last edited by Adrock; 01-11-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Hey Pentatonic,

Thanks for your advice. Currently, I have this dedicated Headphone amp by Pro-ject:

Head Box S This sounds pretty good with some of my lower impedance BeyerDynamic headphones, and I'm sure I'll try this one out with the HD800 once I receive them, but I have already been looking to order another more specific amp to drive them.

I am about 95% sure though, that this is the one I am going to go with once I receive the HD800s. I didn't want to order it too far in advance as then I would not be able to return it if it isn't quite what I was hoping for.

Schiit Audio - Valhalla

This amp is really designed specifically for higher impedance cans, specifically 300-600 ohms. (Like the Senny HD800 or Beyer T1).

Been looking at a few other options as well, but that is where I am at so far.
Seems like you know your Schiit . I was going to get something like that or a Little Dot MkIII but the receiver just works wonders, and I added 2 speakers also (my pc room). They are bigger but work well (just a resistor lowering the power). My K340 are 400 ohms and possibly in the top 5 as hard to drive. I am not even looking for a dedicated anymore, I doubt they would be better.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #10

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Seems like you know your Schiit .

Quote:
I was going to get something like that or a Little Dot MkIII but the receiver just works wonders, and I added 2 speakers also (my pc room). They are bigger but work well (just a resistor lowering the power). My K340 are 400 ohms and possibly in the top 5 as hard to drive. I am not even looking for a dedicated anymore, I doubt they would be better.
Yeah, I debated doing something similar and possibly going that route, but I think dedicated would work better for my uses. This way, I can use it with either my Turn Table setup, with my theater/blu-ray set up, or I might even consider picking up this as well:

Schiit - Bi-Frost

Then, I'll have a really nice dedicated DAC as well as amp, so if I want to use it for any digital or analog source, I'll pretty much be covered with some high quality components. Still not sure about the DAC yet, but I have been toying with it for use with my main computer/audio workstation.

Anyways, a vintage receiver would probably be a good idea except for the fact it would probably be too big and hard to move around if I want to use it in other rooms or with other sources.

Thanks for your input though!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

Yeah, I debated doing something similar and possibly going that route, but I think dedicated would work better for my uses. This way, I can use it with either my Turn Table setup, with my theater/blu-ray set up, or I might even consider picking up this as well:

Schiit - Bi-Frost

Then, I'll have a really nice dedicated DAC as well as amp, so if I want to use it for any digital or analog source, I'll pretty much be covered with some high quality components. Still not sure about the DAC yet, but I have been toying with it for use with my main computer/audio workstation.

Anyways, a vintage receiver would probably be a good idea except for the fact it would probably be too big and hard to move around if I want to use it in other rooms or with other sources.

Thanks for your input though!
Damn, sure a DAC, you get the cans for free so def worth it. The Bi-Frost is well received and they match up well. Too bad Schiit doesn't make a DAC/AMP in one unit.

Going tube is nice and has it's advantages. Looking forward to your impression once all hooked up
Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #12

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Damn, sure a DAC, you get the cans for free so def worth it. The Bi-Frost is well received and they match up well. Too bad Schiit doesn't make a DAC/AMP in one unit.

Going tube is nice and has it's advantages. Looking forward to your impression once all hooked up
That is what I was thinking. Free cans makes it definitely worth it. Yeah, it would be nice if Schiit did have a combo DAC/HA but, their products are pretty reasonably priced for the quality components that they use, and for being made in the US. 5 Year warranty, too.

Will do! Yeah, I'll be sure to take and post some pics and impressions once I get the cans, and eventually the Valhalla and maybe Bi-Frost as well.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
That is what I was thinking. Free cans makes it definitely worth it. Yeah, it would be nice if Schiit did have a combo DAC/HA but, their products are pretty reasonably priced for the quality components that they use, and for being made in the US. 5 Year warranty, too.

Will do! Yeah, I'll be sure to take and post some pics and impressions once I get the cans, and eventually the Valhalla and maybe Bi-Frost as well.
. Good luck, and enjoy
Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #14

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
. Good luck, and enjoy
Thanks, pentatonic!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:14 AM   #15

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Update:

I ordered not only my headphone amp, but also a really nice DAC.

Here are links and pics:

Should be delivered this week, and my headphones should be arriving next week. Once I receive everything, I'll post some pictures and reviews.

DAC

Schiit - BiFrost

Headphone Amp

Schiit - Valhalla

Old 01-27-2013, 02:32 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Nice DAC & amp choice! I use their Magni/Modi combo with my computer, good stuff.
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS

"What is dead may never die..."
Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 AM   #17

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPO View Post
Nice DAC & amp choice! I use their Magni/Modi combo with my computer, good stuff.
Thanks, ZIPPO. That is great to hear about the M&M Combo. I may end up ordering that for my other computer setup as well. Really looking forward to the Bi/Val combo though. I love supporting such a cool US company as well.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #18

Jun 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow

congrats on the new cans mate enjoy them
47 inch 1080p LG LCD - DMP BDT 300 GN
27 inch 720p Samsung LCD - Samsung Bluray Player
Old 01-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #19

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyclone View Post
congrats on the new cans mate enjoy them
Thank you, Zyclone.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #20
Power Member

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Always wanted to hear these. I've had the HD600s for years and love them. They're a downright bargain these days and still hold up well, but can't deny I've thought of 'moving up' the Sennheiser line. Maybe one day. Amazing that you scored these for free.
Detective Cameron: I got good news and bad news, girls. The good news is your dates are here.
Sorority Sister: What's the bad news?
Detective Cameron: They're dead.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Tags
bifrost, hd800, schiit, sennheiser, valhalla