COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.31
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
Worcester, UK

USA posters let the rest of us know once you've seen this please! I also want to know what the GI Joe 3D is like from the 4 minute preview! Thanks in advance!
Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

3D FAN

Instagram: levcore

Steelbooks Looking to trade (unsealed): Green Lantern HMV Exclusive, Chronicle Play Exclusive, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1, Enders Game HMV Exclusive.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #42
Power Member

Jul 2007

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

Didn't know what this would be like, going in. A new fantasy genre experience apparently taking place today, reminiscent of the kind of old scary fairy-tales told to me by my grandfather when I was a kid
This kind of fantasy atmosphere I find very cool , and I wouldn't be surprised if it could traumatize some young & innocent patrons!
A Brother's Grimm type of entertainment for today's seasoned crowd. Excellent special effects creativity for both types of converted 3D and native. IMO, a very good attempt as a hybrid production. I'm sure it will leave some here wishing for stronger consistent 3D, but it does have memorable moments. At least, I liked it.

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 01-25-2013 at 10:13 PM. Reason: structure
Old 01-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters

A Brother's Grimm type of entertainment for today's seasoned crowd. Excellent special effects creativity for both types of converted 3D and native. IMO, a very good attempt as a hybrid production. I'm sure it will leave some here wishing for stronger consistent 3D, but it does have memorable moments. At least, I liked it.

Paul
Thanks for the early review Paul. Sounds good. I'll check it out later today. Looking forward to it.

You mention hybrid 3D. Was the movie filmed with 3D cameras or converted I wonder for the live action, if CGI + filmed 3D equals the "Filmed 3D" category instead of "Hybrid 3D Conversion". But as someone mentioned, these days a lot more films which are converted are hybrid conversions, and turning out great as in MIB 3 3D, John Carter, Avengers, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
I plan on seeing this on opening day in 3d can't freaking wait and the fact that 3d screenings are getting a 4 minute 3d preview of the Ninja battle from GI Joe retaliation is extra icing on the super tasty cake !! Super stoked for Friday!
I didn't hear about that, cool. Will this be in the preview trailers or during the behind the scenes news they run before the movie start time? This will give us a good idea if the 3D lives up to the strong 3D in the trailer.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #44
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Thanks for the early review Paul. Sounds good. I'll check it out later today. Looking forward to it.

You mention hybrid 3D. Was the movie filmed with 3D cameras or converted I wonder for the live action, if CGI + filmed 3D equals the "Filmed 3D" category instead of "Hybrid 3D Conversion". But as someone mentioned, these days a lot more films which are converted are hybrid conversions, and turning out great as in MIB 3 3D, John Carter, Avengers, etc.

I didn't hear about that, cool. Will this be in the preview trailers or during the behind the scenes news they run before the movie start time? This will give us a good idea if the 3D lives up to the strong 3D in the trailer.

I was actually shocked to find out during the end credits for Hansel and Gretel in 3d tonight that the movie was converted to 3d 0.0! I could've sworn they were saying in recent interviews it was filmed in 3d and loand behold I saw the Stereo D logo in the credits. Even so, it shocked me because I thought for the most part it looked like the movie I saw tonight was native 3d( their were points that I kept wondering, but wasn't sure lol).

Even so, the 3d I thought was excellent for Hansel and Gretel. Tons of pop outs and a very consistent and strong 3d depth throughout imo. And I thought the movie was really good too. Loved the tongue in cheek humor( started laughing really hard at one particular joke that caught me off guard XD ) and the prosthetic effects and gore xD

And the GI Joe 3d preview happened after the trailers just before the movie. The 3d for GI Joe was stunning super super strong 3d and impeccable conversion work. Probably on par with Titanic methinks. And the sequence they showed made me beg for more lol.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #45

Oct 2011

It was filmed in 3D for the majority but some shots and elements in shots were converted.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #46
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
It was filmed in 3D for the majority but some shots and elements in shots were converted.
Oh okay. Really confusing having all the different bits of info going around lol
Old 01-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #47
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2009

The movie was fun as hell and it has the coolest 3D ive seen in awhile. Cant wait for the blu.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #48

Feb 2009

Quote:
Oh okay. Really confusing having all the different bits of info going around lol
"How did you approach shooting this movie in 3D?

Tommy Wirkola: We shot half of it in real 3D and they other half was post converted. Actually the 3D thing wasn’t there in the beginning. It was something the studio suggested later on. We embraced it and I think it actually really helps in getting people into this fairy tale world. When you’re doing a film like this and creating a world, it helps immerse [the viewer].

Why only shoot half the movie in real 3D?

Tommy Wirkola: We shot everything we could with a real 3D camera on the set and the back lot – but we didn’t drag them out to the middle of the forest. They’re just too big. It was for practical reasons really. I wanted to shoot everything in real 3D but it was just impossible to. You can’t run with those cameras either. It’s challenging with big rigs. Wherever we could control a set, we used them."

http://collider.com/tommy-wirkola-ha...ers-interview/
Old 01-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #49

Feb 2009

It`s on blu May 8th here in Norway (theatrical premiere Feb.1).
Old 01-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #50

Oct 2011
St. Louis

This movie has taken an absolute beating from critics, I think it has 14% on Rotten Tomatoes. Seems like the 14% who liked it are in this forum.

Glad you liked it, maybe I'll scoop this up on Blu when it is on sale and the price is right.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #51
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogofwar View Post
This movie has taken an absolute beating from critics, I think it has 14% on Rotten Tomatoes. Seems like the 14% who liked it are in this forum.

Glad you liked it, maybe I'll scoop this up on Blu when it is on sale and the price is right.
Interesting ratio, 14% for critics and 74% for Audience
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
I was actually shocked to find out during the end credits for Hansel and Gretel in 3d tonight that the movie was converted to 3d 0.0!

Even so, the 3d I thought was excellent for Hansel and Gretel. Tons of pop outs and a very consistent and strong 3d depth throughout imo. And I thought the movie was really good too. Loved the tongue in cheek humor( started laughing really hard at one particular joke that caught me off guard XD ) and the prosthetic effects and gore xD

And the GI Joe 3d preview happened after the trailers just before the movie. The 3d for GI Joe was stunning super super strong 3d and impeccable conversion work. Probably on par with Titanic methinks. And the sequence they showed made me beg for more lol.
Yeah, I was surprised to see it had converted shots. Paul was correct when he said Hybrid 3D, as it's not just filmed 3D with CGI. Then again, that's starting to matter less these days when GI JOE Retaliation's 3D is as strong as Titanic's I dare say. And you were right about Jurassic Park's 3D. Stunning is the word. Thanks for the head's up on GI Joe. The Rock appeared and said "I hope you enjoy this special 4 minute preview of GI Joe Retaliation".

Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters was a lot of gory fun with really good 3D. The Troll Edward, reminds me a lot of the Rock Eater from Neverending Story. I like how they used animatronics like the old days for the guy in the Troll suit. The story was good as well and lots of cool action.
The 3D was medium to strong and did not disappoint. A must have on Blu Ray 3D.

Quote:
Thanks for the info Tigermoth. The converted shots I think were given away in a few forest shots, when the trees in the back didn't track exactly with the foreground trees, but still looked good for 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
The movie was fun as hell and it has the coolest 3D ive seen in awhile. Cant wait for the blu.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogofwar View Post

Most critics are paid to go see the newest movies in theaters instead of paying to see it because they want to. A big difference between fans of the genre's opinions, and the critics who could care less about it.

I read the horror critics enjoyed it for the most part. If you like a lot of cool action, check it out in theaters.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #53
Expert Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic View Post
I have to agree for the most part xD. Some of the pop outs were jawdroping and startling lol
Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #54
Expert Member

Jul 2010

As I posted in the movie forum, overall I give this a thumbs up too. It had atmosphere, a good enough plot and for the most part interesting characters. I didn't think the big bad witch was played well though and that her underlings were actually played better. Jean Grey looked like she was in a grammar school play or just as they say 'going through the motions." Also, the cussing seemed out of place. I mean it just stood out to me like a sore thumb. The picture would have been just fine without it. Beyond those two things I look forward to adding the 3D BD to my collection.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:23 AM   #55

Oct 2011

Can't wait to see this after so much positive word of mouth its already made over 50mil world wide. Really didn't expect that.

People keep saying they would like a sequel. Does it set up a sequel?
Old 01-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #56

Jan 2013

"Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters," an R-rated 3D update of the classic Grimm's fairy tale starring Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton, slashed its way to $19 million and the the top of the domestic box office on a weekend that saw some stars stumble. But industry analysts had expected more from the movie considering the premium pricing from the 2,900 3D and Imax locations out of a market-high 3,373 theaters. The 3D locations accounted for 55 percent of the grosses, and Imax brought in 11 percent.

nice @ the 3-d locations acounted for 55 percent.
even though i'm not that excited about this i'm happy to see any 3-d success. (that is a success right?)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 AM   #57
Special Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer6 View Post
The 3D locations accounted for 55 percent of the grosses, and Imax brought in 11 percent.

nice @ the 3-d locations acounted for 55 percent.
even though i'm not that excited about this i'm happy to see any 3-d success. (that is a success right?)
Not really, the percentages keep falling. Considering the lack of the general public's interest in this film, a la Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, I expected it to be near 70 to 75 percent of it's weekend from the 3D showings. (I think the Imax run is included in that 55%.)

fitprod
Old 01-28-2013, 06:29 AM   #58

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
Not really, the percentages keep falling. Considering the lack of the general public's interest in this film, a la Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, I expected it to be near 70 to 75 percent of it's weekend from the 3D showings. (I think the Imax run is included in that 55%.)

fitprod
oh darn.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #59
Expert Member

Oct 2008

To the above: True, but overseas 3D is doing much better.

As to the movie; pretty fun romp. Mindless and gory, what I expected.

That said I was disappointed to see this level of conversion work coming from Stereo D. It wasn't as bad as, say, The Last Airbender, but it was a very far cry from something like Titanic or The Avengers. Seems to me like they were rushed on this project, which is odd because it was delayed a long time. Maybe the delay means this was converted before those better projects... they did say they've learned a lot on them!

Either way, the conversion was mediocre at best. A LOT of bad roto errors here, especially along the edges of trees and foliage and stuff and Gretel's hair. At least one of the wide landscape shots of the forest had tips of trees that were actually duplicated and floating off slightly to the side of the whole tree, not connected to anything - an obvious, sloppy artifact of an unfinished conversion job. People were rather flat a lot of the time.

That said there were some fun pop-outs (and some that didn't work due to being terrible window violations) and the native stuff was handled very well with no noticeable alignment, exposure, or color issues. I definitely think the 3D adds to the movie rather than takes away from it. I'm just used to better quality on the technical front than this. If this had come out in early 2012 as intended originally it would've been about average, but in 2013 it's a disappointment.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
As I posted in the movie forum, overall I give this a thumbs up too. It had atmosphere, a good enough plot and for the most part interesting characters. I didn't think the big bad witch was played well though and that her underlings were actually played better. Jean Grey looked like she was in a grammar school play or just as they say 'going through the motions." Also, the cussing seemed out of place. I mean it just stood out to me like a sore thumb. The picture would have been just fine without it. Beyond those two things I look forward to adding the 3D BD to my collection.
Some good points, though Famke Janssen (spelling) did have some dramatic moments when she screamed or showed her disdain for the humans. She was more of a cool, calm, collected witch compared to the classic haggard in Wizard of Oz. Think of the scene when she was on top of the stairs, and forced the bearded guy at the mid steps to raise his shot gun. She kept very calm and yet evil at the same time from what I got from her acting. What could she have improved do you think?

Yes, the swearing, while I don't mind it in movies, limits its audience most likely on purpose, and I see you point about it not quite fitting in with the era of the film, the setting. The gory shots, which they also could have left out, but I'm glad they kept those in.

Quote:
Can't wait to see this after so much positive word of mouth its already made over 50mil world wide. Really didn't expect that.

People keep saying they would like a sequel. Does it set up a sequel?
Yes, at the end, it suggests they could have more adventures. I'd welcome it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer6 View Post
"Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters," an R-rated 3D update of the classic Grimm's fairy tale starring Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton, slashed its way to $19 million and the the top of the domestic box office on a weekend that saw some stars stumble.
For an R rated movie, this is a really good box office take, plus considering the freezing weather most parts. If it was PG 13 or PG, it would have earned more, but thankfully kept things gory a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
To the above: True, but overseas 3D is doing much better.

As to the movie; pretty fun romp. Mindless and gory, what I expected.

That said I was disappointed to see this level of conversion work coming from Stereo D. It wasn't as bad as, say, The Last Airbender, but it was a very far cry from something like Titanic or The Avengers.

Either way, the conversion was mediocre at best. A LOT of bad roto errors here, especially along the edges of trees and foliage and stuff and Gretel's hair. At least one of the wide landscape shots of the forest had tips of trees that were actually duplicated and floating off slightly to the side of the whole tree, not connected to anything - an obvious, sloppy artifact of an unfinished conversion job.
Yes, also noticed the trees shifting unnaturally in a few shots. The interior dark shots also had only average 3D compared to the outdoors shots, which looked much better. Overall, I think it's a lot better than some efforts from years ago, but agree, with conversions like Titanic, conversions have a lot to live up to.

Off topic, but GI Joe 2's conversion looks amazing for the preview they showed.
Oz looks promising in the new trailer in 3D.
Jack the Giant Slayer is looking nice for the 3D also.
Star Trek Into Darkness still didn't show in 3D.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies