Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Fast & Furious 6 (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rise of the Guardians (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Turbo (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #1

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA
Default Blu-ray 3D Movies increased 85% in 2012

A good read:

Link: http://www.homemediamagazine.com/3d/...-85-2012-29256

number of 3D movies available on Blu-ray Disc topped 200 movies at the end of 2012 — up 85% from the end of 2011 when 108 titles were available in the high-definition format, according to a new research report.

El Segundo, Calif.-based IHS Screen Digest said the number of Blu-ray 3D releases increased by 92 titles in 2012, compared with 71 new titles in 2011. 3D Blu-ray movies launched in 2010 with 37 titles.

Major Hollywood studios have traditionally driven home adoption of 3D until last year when more indie titles were released in the format.

“Early in the life of the format, the slate for BD 3D video introductions closely followed the theatrical 3D schedule, focusing on new-release 3D movies,” said Tony Gunnarsson, analyst for video at IHS. “At the same time, the early home video 3D lineup was biased toward animation and documentaries. But more recently, the format has seen a substantial increase in live-action movies across all genres, including action, adventure, horror, family, music, sci-fi, drama and comedy.”

Gunnarsson said the increase in 3D titles covering both the documentary and erotic film categories have significantly expanded the number 3D BD titles available to U.S. consumers.

The drop in major studio 3D BD titles reflects a change in strategy, as the big players move away from the initial 3D gold rush that followed in the wake of enormously successful Avatar from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

The current 3D BD approach is more discerning, according to IHS, and focused on select blockbuster titles, as well as on key catalog 2D to 3D conversions. Examples include The Avengers, I, Robot and Titanic.

Meanwhile, the number of independent 3D BD titles continues to increase rapidly — 55 alone for 2012, compared with 25 in 2011. The rapid expansion of indie titles on 3D BD suggests a level of maturity of the format — 3D BD no longer is the exclusive haunt of the majors, whose 3D output fell from 46 titles in 2011 to 37 in 2012.

For the 3D standard to flow into the far more selective indie film world reflects the improvements in cost and availability of 3D production technology, and is also indicative of broader acceptance and penetration of the medium.

To be sure, 3D BD makes up a small portion — just 8% — of the physical video business. Nonetheless, the format is here to stay. In particular, 2012 could be seen as the point when 3D BD transforms from mere novelty status into a permanent, high-end niche, according to IHS.

Some blockbuster titles have even performed remarkably well, such as the sci-fi movie Prometheus from Fox. Its 3D BD version generated first-week sales equivalent to a quarter of the title’s overall retail takings.

Indeed, 3D BD’s principal point of difference between other video formats afford it inclusion in retail ultimate video packages with multiple discs, priced at a premium above standard 2D Blu-ray versions, according to IHS.

On its uniquely situated perch, 3D BD could represent a coveted goal for upscaling among consumers, while serving up hopes for industry players that, even in a declining physical video market, some formats may still be able to maintain the value of the video disc, said the research firm.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

and to think there are people saying 3D is dead.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
and to think there are people saying 3D is dead.
It's not dead.

On BestBuy.com:

DVD (90,552)
Blu-ray Disc (8,959)
Blu-ray 3D (178)

PSP's not dead either, they have 86 of those.

They even have 33 on-demand movies as well. It's not dead either.

So, on the third anniversary of 3-D, the major purveyor of Blu-Ray disks in the nation shows that 3D makes up a tiny percentage of disc. Less than 2% of the market. Blu-Ray, after competing with HD-DVD for the first 18 months, has done OK, but still has slightly less than 10% of the total discs as DVD.

No, it's not dead. It's comatose.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
It's not dead.

On BestBuy.com:

DVD (90,552)
Blu-ray Disc (8,959)
Blu-ray 3D (178)

PSP's not dead either, they have 86 of those.

They even have 33 on-demand movies as well. It's not dead either.

So, on the third anniversary of 3-D, the major purveyor of Blu-Ray disks in the nation shows that 3D makes up a tiny percentage of disc. Less than 2% of the market. Blu-Ray, after competing with HD-DVD for the first 18 months, has done OK, but still has slightly less than 10% of the total discs as DVD.

No, it's not dead. It's comatose.
that is a dumb comparison. The number of films done in the past in 3D is very small, there are almost no catalogue films for 3D to feed on unlike BD, DVD, streaming, HD-DVD or anything else you mentioned.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
that is a dumb comparison. The number of films done in the past in 3D is very small, there are almost no catalogue films for 3D to feed on unlike BD, DVD, streaming, HD-DVD or anything else you mentioned.
I'm not dumb, and I didn't make a dumb comparison. Most of the 3D stuff that's out there are conversions, and one of those 178 movies is Titanic. So what's this blather about catalogue items?

It's comatose. Perhaps someone will zap the studs on its neck and hope it lurches into popularity, but 178 movies is not a trend, after three years of real hype.

What's up for an Oscar? What's out right now? What percentage of movies are being made in 3D

The Dark Knight Returns?

Skyfall?

It's comatose. It's not dead. But it's not even close to being a trend. If you really like it - better hope that changes, very soon.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #6

Nov 2011
Oshawa, Ontario
Canada

Quote:
I'm not dumb, and I didn't make a dumb comparison. Most of the 3D stuff that's out there are conversions, and one of those 178 movies is Titanic. So what's this blather about catalogue items?

It's comatose. Perhaps someone will zap the studs on its neck and hope it lurches into popularity, but 178 movies is not a trend, after three years of real hype.

What's up for an Oscar? What's out right now? What percentage of movies are being made in 3D

The Dark Knight Returns?

Skyfall?

It's comatose. It's not dead. But it's not even close to being a trend. If you really like it - better hope that changes, very soon.
My opinion only of course

Oscars mean shit :-D have a nice day
Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton3779 View Post
My opinion only of course

Oscars mean shit :-D have a nice day

Agreed.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #8

Dec 2008

On the other hand, 3D games on PC are alive and kicking. There are already over 500 games that support Nvidia 3D Vision. And unlike 3D Blu-rays, 3D Vision games don't require you to purchase another copy of the game. The copy of Half-Life 2 you bought in 2005 works with 3D Vision today. With my 3D-capable PC, I've started buying 3D Blu-rays also. But if 3D Blu-rays were the only use, I would not have adopted 3D.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
What's up for an Oscar? What's out right now?
Uh, Life of Pi, yes and yes?

Quote:
I'm not dumb, and I didn't make a dumb comparison.
No, you just cut-and-posted your own post nearly word-for-word from ANOTHER wishfully misinterpreted 3D-is-dead post, in the hopes we'd read it this time, is all.

Desperate much?

Last edited by EricJ; 01-29-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Uh, Life of Pi, yes and yes?
Glad it made the cut. Too bad it's no blockbuster, but then the rest aren't, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
No, you just cut-and-posted your own post nearly word-for-word from ANOTHER wishfully misinterpreted 3D-is-dead post, in the hopes we'd read it this time, is all.

Desperate much?
"Wishfully"? Two threads, two responses, same topic, what's the problem?

Obsessed much?
Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #11
Expert Member

Jul 2012
Wisconsin

Just a reminder too that with Blu-Ray 3D movies increasing 85%, 3D TV sales have also drastically increased. There is a report out there that says 21% of U.S. homes now have at least 1 3D capable TV. It was only 8% in 2011. As more and more homes get 3D TV's studios will produce more and more 3D movies. We really are only in just the beginning stages of 3D movies.

Quote:

3D movies don't make up a larger part of the market because not all movies should be 3D. 3D is perfect for huge Action and Sci-Fi movies like the Avengers, Avatar or Transformers. But it would never work for romance, overly dramatic movies, or the majority of comedies. And it costs money to make a movie in 3D, so a studio isn't just going to make a movie in 3D unless it knows it has a very good chance of generating sales.

I believe 3D isn't doing so well in theaters because no one wants to spend an extra $5-10 on a poorly converted movie they are only seeing once. Thats why i believe 3D will be much more successful on blu-ray because people won't mind paying an extra $5 for a movie that is theirs and they can watch an unlimited amount of times, especially if it either has been shot in 3D or well-converted. I do really believe though that 3D will really take off once glasses-free TV's are perfected. Wearing glasses seems to be the largest problem of the 3D haters.

Last edited by Operation Swordfish; 01-30-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I'm not dumb,
then why post as if you are

Quote:
Most of the 3D stuff that's out there are conversions, and one of those 178 movies is Titanic.
most are not conversions, count how many are and how many are not. I also did not say that conversions can't happen. I just don't think every movie will be converted (the same way that people did not add sound to every silent movie or colorize every B&W movie or make wide screen every none-wide screen movie.) and even if we go with the assumption that they will that still means a hell of a lot of money and time will be needed to do so. So asking why we don't have 90K or even 9k 3D films out right now is just insane when there are not (at this point in time ) anywhere near 90K or 9K movies that are in 3D
Old 01-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
then why post as if you are
Well, I LOOK dumb, so it keeps people from being disappointed. I mean, they're not deep thinkers, or anything.

Quote:
most are not conversions, count how many are and how many are not. I also did not say that conversions can't happen. I just don't think every movie will be converted (the same way that people did not add sound to every silent movie or colorize every B&W movie or make wide screen every none-wide screen movie.) and even if we go with the assumption that they will that still means a hell of a lot of money and time will be needed to do so. So asking why we don't have 90K or even 9k 3D films out right now is just insane when there are not (at this point in time ) anywhere near 90K or 9K movies that are in 3D
There's a huge catalogue of popular science fiction and fantasy titles out there, and tons of action films, but no on seems much interested in doing them. Even Star Wars prequels got slammed into the dungeon. It's just not happening, even with 3D capable sets owning the market.

With Blu only being 10% of the DVD titles, expecting 3D to be 10% - or even 5% of the market is reasonable, after all the hype about what a change it was going to be. Let's be honest - this industry is fueled by money, and if there was money in it, we'd see better progress than this.

It's a niche, and a small one at that. I buy 3D versions of some titles, if the 2D is sold out - another telling indicator. Stacks of 3D titles, when the 2D's have gone bone dry - not a good sign.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

Has anyone else loved 3D around '09, and just gotten bored of it now?

I can't stand the glasses for more than an hour now, the price annoys me, and the fact that I've only seen one movie with 3D that I enjoyed since Avatar, hasn't helped. And 92% of 3D is children's movies, and my kids don't like it, and it's apparently not safe for their age-group anyway.

Not trying to start a war. Just asking. 'Cause there's been a lot of haters turned fans, and haters/fans who have stayed true, but I see little people like me who enjoyed the gimmick at first, but then chucked it away with every other fad.
Display: BenQ MW519, 8mm PJ, Panasonic 50" TH-50PX70A, LG 42" 42LA6230, Soniq 32" LCD, LG 23.6" w2363D
Sound: LG 5.1 DVD combo, Logitech 5.1
Players: Apple TV x3, Sony PS4 500GB, Sony PS3 Slim 160GB, Soniq 3D BDP
Computers i3 Desktop, Asus i7 Laptop, iMac 19" 2007
Old 01-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Special Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmrlKJaneway View Post

I can't stand the glasses for more than an hour now, the price annoys me, and the fact that I've only seen one movie with 3D that I enjoyed since Avatar, hasn't helped. And 92% of 3D is children's movies, and my kids don't like it, and it's apparently not safe for their age-group anyway.

Not trying to start a war. Just asking. 'Cause there's been a lot of haters turned fans, and haters/fans who have stayed true, but I see little people like me who enjoyed the gimmick at first, but then chucked it away with every other fad.
In its inception, I was all over this. I was one of the first kids on the block to purchase a 3D capable TV. I still enjoy it, but not nearly as much as I once did. There's too many bad movies. I've really put the brakes on hard, buying new titles because most I'm just in interested in, whereas I bought everything when it first came out.
Ill probably never get tired of it, but until we see more good movies with good conversions and natively shot, my purchases will stay stagnant.
Epson 6010 3D projector
Elite Cinetension electric 120" screen
Samsung UN55C800 55"
Denon 3808CI
7.2 Def Tech speakers with SVS PB2000 & PB12 NSD
Oppo BDP-93
APC J-10 power conditioner
Other stuff
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:

I don't think there are that many "haters", just a lot of people who are indifferent. The head-nodding crowd is still pointing to Avatar, which is an indifferent movie, but a visual spectacle (in 2D or 3D).

Most women are actively against it - I've never spoken to one that liked it at all - based solely on the glasses. I haven't been impressed by it visually with the examples I've seen, and like many people, I sometimes wear glasses to watch movies - wearing two pair, for an hour and a half or more, is just a non-starter.

It's popular among some, but it's not a game-changer, and the whole kid-movie imprimatur is not going to put it in the mainstream. Numerous Ice Age, Shrek, and other titles really are dragging it down - something needs to give, like good conversions (Titanic-style) of catalogue titles, or something. That doesn't appear to be in the works.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:20 PM   #17

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post
In its inception, I was all over this. I was one of the first kids on the block to purchase a 3D capable TV. I still enjoy it, but not nearly as much as I once did. There's too many bad movies. I've really put the brakes on hard, buying new titles because most I'm just in interested in, whereas I bought everything when it first came out.
Ill probably never get tired of it, but until we see more good movies with good conversions and natively shot, my purchases will stay stagnant.
I'm in the same boat as you. Last movie I purchased was Frankenweenie which I actually did enjoy, but where at first I wanted to buy all the 3d titles I could, I'm now in a place where I enjoy the format but will only grab what I truly want to see - for instance I've heard Dredd 3d was pretty good but I have no drive whatsoever to see the film, therefore I have not and most likely will not buy it unless I come across a superb deal on it, like 10 bucks or lower.

That said I am excited to see Top Gun in 3d, I'll be grabbing that one - Silent Hill as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #18
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
... And 92% of 3D is children's movies, and my kids don't like it, and it's apparently not safe for their age-group anyway.
I would take that with a grain of salt. I wouldn't put shutter glasses on my kids for hours on end, but I don't think wearing them for a 90-min movie is going to do anything detrimental.
4k... really? The law of diminishing returns is fully in sight.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post
I would take that with a grain of salt. I wouldn't put shutter glasses on my kids for hours on end, but I don't think wearing them for a 90-min movie is going to do anything detrimental.
That depends on their age, and if they have any undiagnosed conditions. It might be OK for a 3 or 4 minute ride at an amusement park, but 90 minutes for a 5 year old?

Ever see a child wearing glasses? I wouldn't recommend it for them, at all.

Eyestrain for a child, who may not even be able to explain it clearly, is simply not a very good idea.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
Brisbane, Australia

We've seen some long films at the cinema, and my five year old (now six) watched plenty of active 3D. But after I've read some doubts I think it's best to lay off it, especially seen as he's not overly fond of it.

Looking at a lot of projectors. Many of the ones in my price bracket are 3D. In fact, there's only one I'm considering that isn't. So if the studios pump out a few more Hugo's, I might get back into it in the future. I'm a big Godzilla fan, so I'm looking forward to donning my shades at the big screen in 2014.
Display: BenQ MW519, 8mm PJ, Panasonic 50" TH-50PX70A, LG 42" 42LA6230, Soniq 32" LCD, LG 23.6" w2363D
Sound: LG 5.1 DVD combo, Logitech 5.1
Players: Apple TV x3, Sony PS4 500GB, Sony PS3 Slim 160GB, Soniq 3D BDP
Computers i3 Desktop, Asus i7 Laptop, iMac 19" 2007
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion