Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
5 hrs ago
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 01-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #341

Sep 2012
Santa Barbara, California

I finally broke down and ordered a 55ST50

I had a 2010 TC-P54S2 that drove me nuts with its floating blacks "feature". Panasonic almost lost my business with that BS but it looks like they fixed this flaw.
I have heard nothing but great things about the ST50 from not only David Katzmaier but from customers who also bought it. So hopefully I love it too. Can't wait to break it in and then calibrate it
When I was a very small boy/
Very small boys talked to me/
Now that we've grown up together/
They're all taking drugs with me/

Last edited by Retroj23; 01-27-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #342
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA
Send a message via Skype™ to ImStylinOnYaBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
What aspect ratio are you watching? I believe full-frame for 16:9 is 1.78:1, so if you're going any higher than that, 1.85:1, for example, you will see black bars at the top and bottom. Higher you go, bigger the bars.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding. I would check on my new 55VT50, but it's still warming up to room temp from this morning's delivery.
I watched dumb and dumber and noticed no increase in size of the top and bottom space due to the blu rya being 1.85:1 aspect ration. On the box it said 16:9 , 1.85:1 widescreen. is there some overscan feature that is on since i dind't see the black bar on the top and bottom inscrease in size - it seemed to take up the screen like a 1.78:1 film would.
TV: Panasonic TC-P60GT50
Sound System: Standard TV speakers
BD Player: 80GB PS3 & Orei BDP-M2 Multi Region BD Player
BD Steelbooks: 33
Steelbook Wishlist: Point Break(zavvi)
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
Old 01-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #343
Special Member

Jun 2010

The size difference between 1:78:1 and 1:85:1 is tiny so it's hard to see.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 01-27-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #344
Special Member

Dec 2009
Kingston, PA

I'll try out a 1.85:1 movie later tonight and see what it's like.
TV: Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT50 3D Plasma
Blu-Ray Player: 160GB Sony Playstation 3 Slim
Surround Sound: Onkyo HT-S5500 7.1
SHOPKICK Referral Code: jackfruit8887
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #345
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
The size difference between 1:78:1 and 1:85:1 is tiny so it's hard to see.
i know its a difference, but it must indeed be incredibly small not being able to really notice it standing 5 inches away i got up real close just to make sure it wasn't leaving black bars
Digibook Wishlist: Driving Miss Daisy, North By Northwest, The Green Mile, Full Metal Jacket, The Big Lebowski
Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #346

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroj23 View Post
I finally broke down and ordered a 55ST50

I had a 2010 TC-P54S2 that drove me nuts with its floating blacks "feature". Panasonic almost lost my business with that BS but it looks like they fixed this flaw.
I have heard nothing but great things about the ST50 from not only David Katzmaier but from customers who also bought it. So hopefully I love it too. Can't wait to break it in and then calibrate it
Update:

Well I walked into a BBY today and they had the 55VT50 for $1,599!! So I cancelled my order on the ST50 and went with the VT50 instead. For some reason they had to price match their own website but I just couldn't say no to that price.
So now I will be going from a bottom end Panny to a top of the line one.

Does any one here own a VT? I would love to hear from you guys
Old 01-28-2013, 03:52 AM   #347
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Quote:
Update:

Well I walked into a BBY today and they had the 55VT50 for $1,599!! So I cancelled my order on the ST50 and went with the VT50 instead. For some reason they had to price match their own website but I just couldn't say no to that price.

No, but I'm hoping within the next year I will. I'd really like to have this in my family room, but have some work to do before that can happen. If I'm lucky they'll have increased the size of the screen.
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #348
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
Update:

jesus christ, you thief! what a steal. the only difference from flat out stealing that tv is the cops aren't looking for you right now
Old 01-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #349
Special Member

Dec 2009
Kingston, PA

Quote:
Well I walked into a BBY today and they had the 55VT50 for $1,599!!
That's what I got this weekend. Saw Amazon had it for that price yesterday, so it's off to Best Buy to get $100 back.

My surround sound fund is already off to a good start!

The TV itself is a miracle. Makes everything else I've ever seen look pathetic by comparison. You will be very pleased.

Last edited by Falconer; 01-28-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #350

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconer View Post
That's what I got this weekend. Saw Amazon had it for that price yesterday, so it's off to Best Buy to get $100 back.

My surround sound fund is already off to a good start!

The TV itself is a miracle. Makes everything else I've ever seen look pathetic by comparison. You will be very pleased.
Lol!
Thanks man. I will try and get some pics posted after I install it. Not since I upgraded to blu ray have I been excited to watch my films again
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #351
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

I forget if i said in here: i got a call from best buy yesterday asking if i planned on coming down to pick up my tv. i said i already had, but apparently they had another 60gt50 waiting for me with my name on it. i wonder if they forgot to log it and i actually could have went down and had 2 gt50's for hte price of one?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #352

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStylinOnYaBro View Post
I forget if i said in here: i got a call from best buy yesterday asking if i planned on coming down to pick up my tv. i said i already had, but apparently they had another 60gt50 waiting for me with my name on it. i wonder if they forgot to log it and i actually could have went down and had 2 gt50's for hte price of one?
BBY has a tendency to do weird stuff like that. I was at their checkout last month with two BD and the cashier scanned a $9 BD i had twice thinking she rang up both movies correctly, however the other BD I had was the Poltergeist digibook that was $14.99. I had to tell her three times she made a mistake before she finally rang me up correctly. It's better to be honest. Karmas a b***h sometimes.

Last edited by Retroj23; 01-28-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 AM   #353
Expert Member

Jun 2012
Pennsylvania, USA

Quote:
BBY has a tendency to do weird stuff like that. I was at their checkout last month and the cashier scanned a $9 BD twice, however the other BD I had was the Poltergeist digibook that was on sale for $14.99. I had to tell her three times she made a mistake before she finally rang me up correctly. It's better to be honest. Karmas a b***h sometimes.
exactly, i wouldn't have felt right taking it. plus u take it and give it away or sell the spare..2 weeks later they are calling you "we accidentally gave u a second tv" LOL no comment on the simple-mindedness of bby employees sometimes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #354
Special Member

Jun 2010

Well I got my Panansonic TC-L55ET5 LED set today and sent the UT50 back--was a painless return process.

In short, I love the LED set. Yes, the blacks aren't as good and motion isn't handled as smoothly. But both are vastly better than on the Sony LCD RPTV I was upgrading from so I can't complain. Bright and colorful scenes I prefer on this new set. Being brighter such scenes really pop. Dark scenes were definitely better on the plasma--but are still very good on this LED set. And I watch more sports and play more games that I watch movies really, so that's a good trade off for me.

3D is one area I'm really impressed/surprised as being passive rather than active I expected it to not be as good as on the UT50. But it's actually better IMO. The 3D on the UT50 tended to have some blurring/double imaging on pop out type stuff--much clearer on this set. And I much prefer having passive glasses and not having to mess with batteries etc. Even better since 4 pairs were included with this tv, where as I had to shell out $38 for the Samsung 4100GBs for the UT50 (already returned them to Amazon).

Best of all, TV is completely silent. No buzz on white screens at all, where as my buzzing UT50 was driving me nuts. I love not having to worry at all about IR and being able to game as long as I want or leave the set on ESPN all day etc.

Only minor nit pick is the screen is still a tad reflective--though not nearly as bad as the UT50 that was near unwatchable with the blinds open during the day or more than one lamp at night.

So overall, I'm super happy. LED is just a better fit for my uses due to not having to worry about IR and no buzzing (which I'm very sensitive too apparently as I've returned two plasmas for buzzing).
Old 01-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #355
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Gilead

I'm glad I've never heard any buzzing on my GT50 or any of my plasma panels. Never had any problems with IR either and all the games I play have HUD's like F1 games with speedometers, lap counters, etc. WipEoutHD.

I've never heard LCD technology being described as better for sports, as if anything sports is the one TV programming you'd watch with the fastest motion, especially racing events, hockey, etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #356
Special Member

Dec 2009
Kingston, PA

Quote:
Well I walked into a BBY today and they had the 55VT50 for $1,599!!
I tried to do a price adjustment and it turns out the 55VT50 is still $1,699.98 and not $1,599. Even Amazon jacked the price back up to $1,999, so either it was an error, or the shortest duration of an unadvertised sale I've ever seen.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #357
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

No GT50 buzzing either for me either. Its my first plasma. Other than the IR issues, really love the picture. If I didn't play video games, that wouldn't be an issue.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #358

Jul 2010
Cornelius, NC

Got a 60GT50 yesterday!
Upgrade from Sony 46V2500. Gotta try some movies now
I'm a SONY boy, but they didn't have any 60". 55" was kinda small, 65" was too expensive.
Blu since 2008
----------------------------

PANASONIC TC-P60GT50 / YAMAHA RX-V673 / Polk Audio PSW10 / Polk Audio TL250 / SONY BDP-S580

FT/FS LIST (with some Disney titles)

Last edited by Fabiosugitani; 01-28-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #359
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
The South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiosugitani View Post
Got a 60GT50 yesterday!
Upgrade from Sony 46V2500. Gotta try some movies now
Just keep in mind the 200 hour break in guidelines. The GT50 thread on AVS has several great settings, both daylight and dark room. Enjoy!
Old 01-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #360
Special Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
I've never heard LCD technology being described as better for sports, as if anything sports is the one TV programming you'd watch with the fastest motion, especially racing events, hockey, etc.
I don't really see/get bothered by motion blur. So that doesn't bother me.

A lot of sports are bright, and I didn't find the UT50 all that great for bright scenes. It was just a bit dim for my liking overall. The LED is a lot brighter so the grass or court/ice, uniform colors etc. "pop" a lot more on it than the plasma.

But it's all just personal preference on what looks best to each person of course. And I'm not at all a videophile concerned about getting close to reference etc. so what I think looks great is likely quiet different from the a/v enthusiast buying upper tier sets and getting professional calibrations etc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs