COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best AIV Deals

Best AIV Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Lost Season 2 HD (AIV)$19.99 Lost Season 5 HD (AIV)$19.99 Lost Season 6 HD (AIV)$19.99 Lost Season 4 HD (AIV)$19.99 Lost Season 3 HD (AIV)$19.99 Friends: The Complete Tenth Season HD (AIV)$14.99 Lost Season 4 (AIV)$14.99 Lost Season 6 (AIV)$14.99 Lost Season 2 (AIV)$14.99 Lost Season 3 (AIV)$14.99 Lost Season 5 (AIV)$14.99 V: The Complete First Season HD (AIV)$24.99
Friends: The Complete Second Season HD (AIV)$14.99 Friends: The Complete Sixth Season HD (AIV)$14.99 Friends: The Complete Seventh Season HD (AIV)$14.99 Friends: The Complete Third Season HD (AIV)$14.99 No Man Of Her Own HD (AIV)$14.99 Lost Season 1 (AIV)$14.99 The Singing Detective HD (AIV)$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #61
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
I agree that we will continue to see the market shift towards digital, but I think there will always be a place for packaged media. Streaming is very limited. You mostly get B content, hardly any good new releases, and movies and TV shows get pulled with no warning. Streaming will certainly affect the rental market as well as the cable business, but unless they drastically change the streaming model, I just don't see the death of packaged media.

We have heard the same arguments about packaged music forever and yet CD and Vinyl are still very much alive. I think there will always be a market for packaged media in some form or another to at least cater to those that have low bandwidth or to those that are collectors and prefer quality and to hold something in your hand.

4K could became an expensive niche product, but it depends on the final specs and what technology they use. If they can fit 4K movies on a BD50, I think the format could have a chance of being affordable for mass consumers.
I agree, there is no point dwelling on it, packaged media will always be around unless we able to start burning our own blu rays. ITunes, Bluray, netflix and dvd will all have their market shares.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:39 PM   #62
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Page master, if younger generation snub large tv, where are we going to watch our blurays, etc..

Old 01-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #63
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Anthony, CDs are heading that way. Can't remember saying no new CDs in 2013, if I did I called that one wrong. There were strong rumours that they were going to pull the plug on CDs this year except for special editions.

Anthony, you must understand, I love bluray and tech in general. It may sound paranoid but I could not stand a future of squinting at my content. I worry that is where we are heading. Even iPads seem to be classed as too big by some! 7 inch tablets are barely watchable. If TV sets are going extinct I am basically up the creek without a paddle!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #64
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Anthony, CDs are heading that way.
only in your head, CDs have been around for over 30years, digital DL for over 10 and records are still around.

Quote:
Can't remember saying no new CDs in 2013, if I did I called that one wrong. There were strong rumours that they were going to pull the plug on CDs this year except for special editions.
Rumours? I would call it propaganda by idiots and for idiots. And no you did not call that one wrong. But unfortunately I think the discussion might have taken place duriing the few weeks that the data was lost. I remember it well because I got so tired of you talking about how that there won’t be any new CDs in 2012 that I asked for a deal that if it was not true you would stop your constant and annoying pessimism on the death of TV, and physical media and if they did stop CDs I would apologise for questioning your outlook on tyhe death of all that.

Quote:
Anthony, you must understand, I love bluray and tech in general. It may sound paranoid but I could not stand a future of squinting at my content. I worry that is where we are heading. Even iPads seem to be classed as too big by some! 7 inch tablets are barely watchable. If TV sets are going extinct I am basically up the creek without a paddle!
Get over it,. It won't go anywhere, seriously, do you think people will not have homes any more? As long as people have homes there will be times when people want to see stuff as a family, see stuff with friends, a small screen might be good in a waiting room to waste time while waiting but it is completely useless when a handful of people want to watch something together.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #65
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
as a rental market, very well could be. but as sellthrough??/ sorry, but streaming sell through is dead in the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
only in your head, CDs have been around for over 30years, digital DL for over 10 and records are still around.

Rumours? I would call it propaganda by idiots and for idiots. And no you did not call that one wrong. But unfortunately I think the discussion might have taken place duriing the few weeks that the data was lost. I remember it well because I got so tired of you talking about how that there won’t be any new CDs in 2012 that I asked for a deal that if it was not true you would stop your constant and annoying pessimism on the death of TV, and physical media and if they did stop CDs I would apologise for questioning your outlook on tyhe death of all that.

Get over it,. It won't go anywhere, seriously, do you think people will not have homes any more? As long as people have homes there will be times when people want to see stuff as a family, see stuff with friends, a small screen might be good in a waiting room to waste time while waiting but it is completely useless when a handful of people want to watch something together.
Anthony, people don't watch stuff together now, let alone the future. Sports is the exception to that. Since tablets came out couples are not watching the same thing. Why watch a soap with wife when a guy could power up his tablet and watch something he likes with headphones? Same with smartphones. As for kids I wager that they won't even think about watching at the same time as parents.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #66
Power Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Anthony, CDs are heading that way. Can't remember saying no new CDs in 2013, if I did I called that one wrong. There were strong rumours that they were going to pull the plug on CDs this year except for special editions.
And studio executives quickly denounced that rumor and stated that they know of no plan to kill off CD in the near future. Why would they? CD still makes up about half their revenue in North America and I want to say close to 70% globally. Why would you kill something off that makes billions of dollars that you may never see again?

Let me ask you. If you were a studio executive, would you rather someone pay $7-15 for a CD or .99 to $1.30 per music track knowing that a person may only buy 1-3 songs form a given album? CD is money in the bank.

It is not going away unless they studios cannot make money off of it anymore. My guess is we are about 7-10 years away from CD going away completely. Maybe longer.

Quote:
Clearly you did not read the NPD study I quoted above. Or you are just trying to be fear inducing. There is no evidence out there that shows that HDTV's will be gone because everyone wants to watch movies and TV on their tiny screens. Think about how ridiculous it would be to watch the Super Bowl with your buddies on an iPad???

Seriously man. You need to stop worrying..

Old 01-28-2013, 01:08 AM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Fair enough. I honestly swear that I am not baiting or fear inducing. These are all genuine concerns I have and I wouldn't be an ass and try to get a rise out of people. Despite what some might think. The scenario I described is just niggling away in the back of my mind. Films on a phone arggghhhhhh!!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #68
Power Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Fair enough. I honestly swear that I am not baiting or fear inducing. These are all genuine concerns I have and I wouldn't be an ass and try to get a rise out of people. Despite what some might think. The scenario I described is just niggling away in the back of my mind. Films on a phone arggghhhhhh!!
20 minute TV shows are one thing. Can you imaging watching The Hobbit for 3 hours on your 3.5-5" phone screen??? Majority of people are not going to do this.

Also look at the box office numbers from 2012. More people went to the theater than in 2011. If people don't care to watch movies on the big screen we would see big drops in attendance year over year.

Me thinks you are just over thinking this

Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #69
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
20 minute TV shows are one thing. Can you imaging watching The Hobbit for 3 hours on your 3.5-5" phone screen??? Majority of people are not going to do this.

)
Agreed, but mirroring your tablet or laptop to your big screen solves this.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #70
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

http://http://advanced-television.co...nge-tv-device/

Just read this. Does not help my unease. I am old enough not to be swayed by one article, but talk like this is not good.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM   #71
Power Member

Mar 2011

The feeling you get when you hold a brand new blu ray you just brought is amazing you don't get that when streaming
What are you? I'm Batman

Old 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #72
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

You don't get much from streaming. Just crappy picture quality.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #73
Power Member

Jun 2011

I'm not that familiar with streaming / iTunes or whatever. But if your hard drive crashes or you have to re-format, then will you have to re-buy everything?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #74
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
Fife? Where the hell is FIFE?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorBlu View Post
I'm not that familiar with streaming / iTunes or whatever. But if your hard drive crashes or you have to re-format, then will you have to re-buy everything?
No, I had to take my computer back to square one and was able to re-download the movies to my iTuned account if they came with discs. You can also talk to one of the online reps and they'll put everything you've purchased back in your que to download the next time you start iTunes. I only had to contact them about Scott Pilgrim when I did this. Of course now I've switched over to a Samsung Galaxy SIII and I'm wondering how I'm going to transfer these movies over for road trips. Might just load them up on my old iPhone. If I'm lucky the boy will sit still and watch it. Guess I'll start saving them to Windows now, not sure
Do you really have something to say or are you just in love with the sound of your keyboard?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #75
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

Redownloading a crap ton of movies doesn’t sound very fun!!

That’s why I’ll never adopt a streaming only format. Can be way to inconvenient b/c of situations like that!!
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"

Old 01-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #76

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
that is why I don't mind DL to own (when the quality becomes acceptable and HDD space cheap enough to hold a collection) but I will never buy into streaming. You have 0 control (the service is down, the service is too busy, the same fr the ISP/internet connection, or even the agreement between a service and the studio or even a service going out of business..
+ 1,000,000 !!!!
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 Muses modified, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #77
Power Member

Apr 2009
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Benny View Post
Redownloading a crap ton of movies doesn’t sound very fun!!

That’s why I’ll never adopt a streaming only format. Can be way to inconvenient b/c of situations like that!!
Is that really going to matter a few years from now? It's not a question of speed, it's a question of storage.

https://fiber.google.com/about/

Never say "never"...especially when it comes to technology. If you believe the world 5 years from now is going to be the same world we are in today, then you're not paying attention to the future, and you haven't paid attention to history.

Last edited by mywhitenoise; 01-28-2013 at 09:57 PM.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #78
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhitenoise View Post
Is that really going to matter a few years from now? It's not a question of speed, it's a question of storage.

https://fiber.google.com/about/

Never say "never"...especially when it comes to technology. If you believe the world 5 years from now is going to be the same world we are in today, then you're not paying attention to the future, and you haven't paid attention to history.
personally...i have yet to see anything to make me want to make a switch to streaming only content.

given the choice....as long as there is a choice....i'll always choose physical media.
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"

Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #79
Power Member

Apr 2009
California

Quote:
personally...i have yet to see anything to make me want to make a switch to streaming only content.

given the choice....as long as there is a choice....i'll always choose physical media.
Sure, at the moment...until you realize you're one of the last to hold on to physical media, while everyone else will own the same collection x thousands more in a convenient package that isn't holding up space in their living room. Quality will meet the same standards very soon.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/25/h265-is-approved/

Old 01-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #80
Special Member

May 2011

Quote:

Yes and no, I have the choice, I do both.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies