COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air (Blu-ray)
$14.22
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Captain America: The First Avenger (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$31.77
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
BLindsay BLindsay is offline
Power Member
 
Aug 2008
NH
44
516
11
Default Anyone own the Polk LSI15/25's or at least demo'd them?

And what were your thoughts on them? I noticed on the ebay store I can get the refurb 15's for $850/pair and the 25's for $1300 which seems like a crazy deal for them (I don't care if they are refurb) and if I spend only $1300 on my fronts that would leave me enough money to get an emotive XPA-5 vs just buying the PSB Imagine T's (and I can get a used UMC-1 for what I would sell my 806 for)
Display: 120" Elitescreen + Epson 5030UB
Power: Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers and woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: DIY JL 12W7 w/Behringer EPX-2800
Blu-ray: OPPO BDP-103
Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
cembros cembros is offline
Power Member
 
cembros's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
414
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLindsay View Post
And what were your thoughts on them? I noticed on the ebay store I can get the refurb 15's for $850/pair and the 25's for $1300 which seems like a crazy deal for them (I don't care if they are refurb) and if I spend only $1300 on my fronts that would leave me enough money to get an emotive XPA-5 vs just buying the PSB Imagine T's (and I can get a used UMC-1 for what I would sell my 806 for)
I'm selling mine actually. They have been great to me and I loved them but I'm ready to move up. I would recommend the 15's (not b/c that's what I'm selling) over the 25's. The 25's use a powered sub which isn't very good. They are otherwise the same speaker except for actual size. You're going to need to feed them a lot of power. I was using a Rotel RMB1095 which was perfect. I sold that and have them connect to my SC-05, it doesn't even come close. The emotiva will do the trick. I would recommend that you match them with the LSIC (also have one for sale along with the FX's), it is important to timber match your front stage. The rears aren't as important.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #3
BLindsay BLindsay is offline
Power Member
 
Aug 2008
NH
44
516
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
I'm selling mine actually. They have been great to me and I loved them but I'm ready to move up. I would recommend the 15's (not b/c that's what I'm selling) over the 25's. The 25's use a powered sub which isn't very good. They are otherwise the same speaker except for actual size. You're going to need to feed them a lot of power. I was using a Rotel RMB1095 which was perfect. I sold that and have them connect to my SC-05, it doesn't even come close. The emotiva will do the trick. I would recommend that you match them with the LSIC (also have one for sale along with the FX's), it is important to timber match your front stage. The rears aren't as important.
Yeah I would be matching them likely with a XPA-5 and I would make sure to get the matching center, yeah if the LSi15's are the same minus the powered sub that's fine with me, I would rather get a good dedicated pair of subs anyways.

Aside from wanting to upgrade have you been happy with them? Would they be a good upgrade over my current Monitor 70s and how do you think they stack up against some of the brands I mentioned in the 2k range?

I doubt you would want to ship those monsters anyways haha
Display: 120" Elitescreen + Epson 5030UB
Power: Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers and woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: DIY JL 12W7 w/Behringer EPX-2800
Blu-ray: OPPO BDP-103
Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
cembros cembros is offline
Power Member
 
cembros's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
414
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLindsay View Post
Yeah I would be matching them likely with a XPA-5 and I would make sure to get the matching center, yeah if the LSi15's are the same minus the powered sub that's fine with me, I would rather get a good dedicated pair of subs anyways.

Aside from wanting to upgrade have you been happy with them? Would they be a good upgrade over my current Monitor 70s and how do you think they stack up against some of the brands I mentioned in the 2k range?

I doubt you would want to ship those monsters anyways haha
They will be a huge improvement, night and day and it's not even close. I have loved them, got them in 2008 and they have performed flawlessly. Where are you located? I would ship the LSIC to you so long as you are in the US. PM me if you're interested.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Moderator
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
I'm selling mine actually. They have been great to me and I loved them but I'm ready to move up. I would recommend the 15's (not b/c that's what I'm selling) over the 25's. The 25's use a powered sub which isn't very good. They are otherwise the same speaker except for actual size. You're going to need to feed them a lot of power. I was using a Rotel RMB1095 which was perfect. I sold that and have them connect to my SC-05, it doesn't even come close. The emotiva will do the trick. I would recommend that you match them with the LSIC (also have one for sale along with the FX's), it is important to timber match your front stage. The rears aren't as important.
I don't understand why you said that. Having a powered subwoofer as opposed to an unpowered subwoofer is actually an advantage. Big woofers are a power hog. Having their own dedicated amplifier relieves the primary amplifier to power the rest of the speaker. The primary amplifier will have more headroom.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #6
cembros cembros is offline
Power Member
 
cembros's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
414
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I don't understand why you said that. Having a powered subwoofer as opposed to an unpowered subwoofer is actually an advantage. Big woofers are a power hog. Having their own dedicated amplifier relieves the primary amplifier to power the rest of the speaker. The primary amplifier will have more headroom.
Yes but I see no reason to spend extra money on the 25's when you can take that money an invest it in a capable dedicated sub that is going to perform at a much higher level.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
BLindsay BLindsay is offline
Power Member
 
Aug 2008
NH
44
516
11
Default

well the 25's are only $300 more, so its not much money. So perhaps the question is how good is the 10" sub in the 25's vs the 8" sub in the 15's and the quality of the amp in the 25's
Display: 120" Elitescreen + Epson 5030UB
Power: Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers and woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: DIY JL 12W7 w/Behringer EPX-2800
Blu-ray: OPPO BDP-103
Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #8
cembros cembros is offline
Power Member
 
cembros's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
414
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLindsay View Post
well the 25's are only $300 more, so its not much money. So perhaps the question is how good is the 10" sub in the 25's vs the 8" sub in the 15's and the quality of the amp in the 25's
That 300 could go towards a nice center ch
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Moderator
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Yes but I see no reason to spend extra money on the 25's when you can take that money an invest it in a capable dedicated sub that is going to perform at a much higher level.
A tower speaker with better low-end performance can be integrated with an external subwoofer a lot easier and the end result will be better.

My two front tower speakers have 15" built-in subwoofers with dedicated 300 watt amplifiers. I also have ten external subwoofers in the room. Go ahead and say it. I am crazy.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #10
cembros cembros is offline
Power Member
 
cembros's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
414
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
A tower speaker with better low-end performance can be integrated with an external subwoofer a lot easier and the end result will be better.

My two front tower speakers have 15" built-in subwoofers with dedicated 300 watt amplifiers. I also have ten external subwoofers in the room. Go ahead and say it. I am crazy.
haha, no way, you're not crazy. If you say go for the 25's then I will agree with you. I would tell anyone to take your advice over mine.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:33 AM   #11
BLindsay BLindsay is offline
Power Member
 
Aug 2008
NH
44
516
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
That 300 could go towards a nice center ch
Well maybe if someone who was selling them would respond to my pm and tell me what they want for it I might

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
A tower speaker with better low-end performance can be integrated with an external subwoofer a lot easier and the end result will be better.

My two front tower speakers have 15" built-in subwoofers with dedicated 300 watt amplifiers. I also have ten external subwoofers in the room. Go ahead and say it. I am crazy.
Well you are crazy but that's not a bad thing

I see your point big daddy but do we know how good the 10" sub/amp is in the 25's? if its a crappy amp/sub vs the non powered 8" then maybe the 15's could be better? I don't really know im just theorizing as ive seen several places state the 15's are the better route to go
Display: 120" Elitescreen + Epson 5030UB
Power: Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers and woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: DIY JL 12W7 w/Behringer EPX-2800
Blu-ray: OPPO BDP-103
Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 AM   #12
Big Daddy Big Daddy is offline
Moderator
 
Big Daddy's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
Southern California
79
122
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLindsay View Post
Well maybe if someone who was selling them would respond to my pm and tell me what they want for it I might



Well you are crazy but that's not a bad thing

I see your point big daddy but do we know how good the 10" sub/amp is in the 25's? if its a crappy amp/sub vs the non powered 8" then maybe the 15's could be better? I don't really know im just theorizing as ive seen several places state the 15's are the better route to go
Chances are that the 8" driver in the 15s and the 10" driver in the 25s are made by the same company and are of equal quality. The main difference is that the 10" drivers in the 25s have their own dedicated amplifier and the 8" drivers in the 15s rely on the main amplifier. Even if the dedicated amplifier in the 25s is crappy (I doubt that), I prefer a set of woofers that are not draining power from the main amplifier.

These Polk speakers are similar to the Definitive Technology bipolar speakers, but much less powerful. The Def Tech Super Towers have their own dedicated powerful amplifiers and the BP10 and BP8 do not. I used to own a pair of BP20s in early 1990s. They were excellent speakers. They were not powered. When Definitive Technology introduced the powered Super Towers in the mid 1990s, I exchanged my BP20s with BP2000s and have never looked back.

Currently, the best non powered Definitive Technology bipolar speakers are BP10s. Don't hesitate to audition them. I like them, but then I love all speakers. It really depends on how much money you can spend.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #13
BLindsay BLindsay is offline
Power Member
 
Aug 2008
NH
44
516
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Chances are that the 8" driver in the 15s and the 10" driver in the 25s are made by the same company and are of equal quality. The main difference is that the 10" drivers in the 25s have their own dedicated amplifier and the 8" drivers in the 15s rely on the main amplifier. Even if the dedicated amplifier in the 25s is crappy (I doubt that), I prefer a set of woofers that are not draining power from the main amplifier.

These Polk speakers are similar to the Definitive Technology bipolar speakers, but much less powerful. The Def Tech Super Towers have their own dedicated powerful amplifiers and the BP10 and BP8 do not. I used to own a pair of BP20s in early 1990s. They were excellent speakers. They were not powered. When Definitive Technology introduced the powered Super Towers in the mid 1990s, I exchanged my BP20s with BP2000s and have never looked back.

Currently, the best non powered Definitive Technology bipolar speakers are BP10s. Don't hesitate to audition them. I like them, but then I love all speakers. It really depends on how much money you can spend.
Thanks, I was looking around on the polk forums and apparently there is a polk car audio woofer that works as a good upgrade in the lsi15's. a lot of people have done it and have been happy with the results. Also looks like some people have upgraded the crossovers but that's a more involved project
Display: 120" Elitescreen + Epson 5030UB
Power: Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers and woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: DIY JL 12W7 w/Behringer EPX-2800
Blu-ray: OPPO BDP-103
Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #14
BLindsay BLindsay is offline
Power Member
 
Aug 2008
NH
44
516
11
Default

Well despite Nemo my LSi15's and LSi7's arrived today and all I can say so far is I am going to need a power amp lol. But so far they are awesome, and for the price I paid I cant beat it. Got the 15's the 7's and a LSiC for $1500 (the center was used, but the rest were brand new)

Thanks for all the help everyone
Display: 120" Elitescreen + Epson 5030UB
Power: Emotiva UMC-200, XPA-3, 2x UPA-1
Fronts: Polk LSi15s (Upgraded crossovers and woofers)
Rears: Polk LSi7s
Center: Polk LSiC (Upgraded crossover)
Sub: DIY JL 12W7 w/Behringer EPX-2800
Blu-ray: OPPO BDP-103
Headphones: Sennheiser HD558
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 AM.