Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 10-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #1

Jun 2010
London, United Kingdom
Default AUDYSSEY DSX or DOLBY PRO LOGIC IIz?

Hey All,

I finally purchased my 2 extra B&W M1 sat speakers and have configured them with the Audyssey Setup as Front Height speakers.

Now I appreciate the height speakers should probably be a little more higher then what they are but I used the height speakers as my main Left and Right channel before I purchased the extra 2 x sat speakers. Now with the new configuration I am using my old Left and Right Channel which all the cables are fed in the wall as my new Height speakers...

Please can you advise me if Audyssey DSX Height is better than Dolby Pro Logic IIz?

I think the Audyssey actually matrix all the front surround content to the heights where as the Dolby Pro Logic IIz only matrix necessary content and is more subtle!

I tried both and really can not tell much difference.. Anyone with experience in the two different setups please can you help and give some of your advice..

PS: Please find attachements.. the pictures are not that great as taken on my mobile phone.. Below you can see the distance between speakers and my listening point.

Front Left Height: 5.40 metres
Front Left: 5.10 metres
Centre: 5.40 metres
Front Right: 5.10 metres
Front Right Height: 5.40 metres
Subwoofer: 5.10 metres
Surround Left: 1.50 metres
Surround Right: 1.80 metres.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (77.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (89.8 KB, 64 views)
Old 10-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Cincinnati, OH

I've just recently gotten my height speakers going, using DPLIIz. After looking at your pictures, I'd say having them down so far probably negatively affects the effect (how's that for a confusing statement ). Any chance you can reposition your L/R way up above it all and change them over to heights....then make your heights your L/R again?

Overall my experience with the PLIIs stuff is that it is subtle...I am still trying to find some good scenes to test out the rain falling effect, which I hear is good. Through "normal" stuff it just makes me feel like the front stage is more of a wall, as opposed to a line of sound. No super cool surround kind of sound, but a more immersive feel.
TV: Panasonic G-15 (50'')
BD Player: Panasonic DMP-BD75
Receiver: Denon 1712
Front L/R: Polk Monitor 60's
Center: Polk CS2
Surround: Polk FXi3's
Height L/R: Polk Monitor 30's
Sub: eD A2-300
Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 AM   #3

Jun 2010
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by acritzer View Post
I've just recently gotten my height speakers going, using DPLIIz. After looking at your pictures, I'd say having them down so far probably negatively affects the effect (how's that for a confusing statement ). Any chance you can reposition your L/R way up above it all and change them over to heights....then make your heights your L/R again?

Overall my experience with the PLIIs stuff is that it is subtle...I am still trying to find some good scenes to test out the rain falling effect, which I hear is good. Through "normal" stuff it just makes me feel like the front stage is more of a wall, as opposed to a line of sound. No super cool surround kind of sound, but a more immersive feel.
Thanks but I have to disagree with you about the "negative effect" as I already notice an improvement over sound with it either being Audyssey DSX or PL IIz..

Any other suggestions please .. Thanks
Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #4
Banned

Mar 2010
Montreal to Victoria, CANADA - All about the Soul in Color & Surround - The Art of Sound Hounds +

I think it's just a question of preference between those two. About the DSX Wides?
Old 10-14-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Cincinnati, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Thanks but I have to disagree with you about the "negative effect" as I already notice an improvement over sound with it either being Audyssey DSX or PL IIz..

Any other suggestions please .. Thanks
You yourself said you thought they should be higher, so I'm confused why you don't think it would help. I'm not saying you can't use them the way you have them...I'm just saying that the effect might improve if they were higher.

Overall it probably boils down to trying each a few times on the same movie and making your best pick. Then, just enjoy.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

Jun 2010
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
You yourself said you thought they should be higher, so I'm confused why you don't think it would help. I'm not saying you can't use them the way you have them...I'm just saying that the effect might improve if they were higher.

Overall it probably boils down to trying each a few times on the same movie and making your best pick. Then, just enjoy.
I may even configure them as Wide channels and use them as DSX wide channels, I am pretty sure that the Audyssey Setup will sort out the distances and timing..
Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Cincinnati, OH

That's an idea. According to Audyssey, the wides should come first...so maybe that use will lead to a better experience anyway.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #8

Jun 2010
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
That's an idea. According to Audyssey, the wides should come first...so maybe that use will lead to a better experience anyway.
Thanks.. I will actually try this as they are wider then my main Front L/R channel. I know they should be slightleyu ahead 60 degrees but hopefully the Audessey setup will componsate for that ..
Old 10-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Cincinnati, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohman View Post
Thanks.. I will actually try this as they are wider then my main Front L/R channel. I know they should be slightleyu ahead 60 degrees but hopefully the Audessey setup will componsate for that ..
Sounds like a plan. I'm still messing around with mine too, especially with the calibration. Like you...I've noticed an improvement, but can't say for sure if the height aspect really comes through. BUT, it was only $100 for the Polk 30's, so it's no big deal.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:47 AM   #10

Jun 2010
London, United Kingdom

Last night I pulled out some spare speaker cables and brought the two front speakers forward a little and assigned them as my DSX wide speakers. I did the Audyssey setup and listen to a few favourtie movie scenes with good surround (Kung Fu Panda, I Robot, Terminator Salvation, House of the Flying Daggers, Hero.. etc)
-
Then I placed them back on the TV stand as seen in the picture and re configured the two speakers mounted to the wall at the front as my DSX wide channels and the three which are on the TV stand as my Front Left, Right and Centre.. I ran the Audyssey Setup again and chose the Wide speakers option.. After the setup I tested the same movies (Kung Fu Panda, I Robot, Terminator Salvation, House of the Flying Daggers, Hero.. etc) and no word of a lie I could not tell the difference. Both sounded the same to me and would be a waste of time to buy new wires and try running them behind the sofa and wall mounting etc etc.. I decided to keep the setup as shown in the pictures above and I am happy with the Audyssey DSX 7.1 Wide surround. It does make a stronger performance over the average 5.1 but to be honest with you it is not a "WOW" factor

Thanks
Old 10-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
Banned

Mar 2010
Montreal to Victoria, CANADA - All about the Soul in Color & Surround - The Art of Sound Hounds +
Thumbs up Width.

Audyssey DSX Front WIDES rules!
Old 10-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #12

Jun 2010
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
Audyssey DSX Front WIDES rules!
It sure does
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #13

Nov 2007

Heights should be at least 1m above the fronts for the best effect.
60g PS3
DirecTV HD-DVR
Klipsch Quintet III and Sub-10
Sony STR-DH810
Panasonic 50" G10 Plasma
Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #14

Oct 2011
Default PLIIz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos3 View Post
Heights should be at least 1m above the fronts for the best effect.
I am not sure if you are getting a good effect with PLIIZ or Auddysey DSX due to the use of small satellite speakers and placement.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:56 PM   #15

May 2009

I started this thread it might help a bit. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=207901
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
Power Member

Jan 2012

Your front heights are too far outside your main fronts. They should be right above them. Wides should be outside the front mains,not above them. I have front heights and they are on the wall and sound great. The whole wall is filled with dialog..
Onkyo 818
Emotiva XPA-3,UPA-200
Panasonic 60ST50 Plasma
Martin Logan EM ESL's
Martin Logan EM C2 center
Motion 4's for height speakers
Energy Veritis V-S Dipole/Bipole Surrounds
Power Sound XS30
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion