COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$53.99
Flatliners (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Anaconda (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Tropic Thunder (Blu-ray)
$5.99
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Sin City (Blu-ray)
$7.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
River of Darkness (Blu-ray)
$12.15
Shameless: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$16.96
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

Aug 2012
LDN
Send a message via Skype™ to PaniqL
Default Receiver Volume Questions

Hello,

I have a few questions about receivers and volume levels with different speakers,
I have placed my 5.1 speakers in the correct positions and now have the job to wire and setup.

My L,C&R Speakers are all...
Klipsch G-16 (75W RMS / 300W Peak, 94 dB @ 2.83 V / 1 m)

My Surround Channels are both...
Klipsch RS-62 II (75W RMS / 300W Peak, 93dB @ 2.83V / 1m)

My Receiver is...
Denon AVR 1912 (90W to all channels at the speakers ohms)

I am also looking to add some...
Klipsch G-12 (50W RMS / 200W Peak, 91 dB @ 2.83 V / 1 m)
Which will be used for Front Height channels,

My Question is will i reach 50 RMS?
I often see people calculate the loudness using the information I have provided, i would like to know what kind of Db's are I looking at for an average person to listen to, If i go over 50RMS is there a way to limit the output of the extra channels? And if my Front heights have a lower power rating than my LCR channels will they not be useful?

I am probably wrong and may not come close to 50RMS, but what volume will an average person want? will all these speakers work together without a chance of damaging any of them?

As you probably know i have basic knowledge on this subject and may be getting confused with audio terminology, so i have have made a mistake with anything i have said please tell me,

Many Thanks
- Panic
Panic
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Sorry .... what's the question ????
Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #3

Aug 2012
LDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
Sorry .... what's the question ????
Hello,

Sorry if its a bit unclear,

I just wanted to know if i will reach 50RMS when watching a film, and wanted to know the average volume for people when watching a film on a surround system,

Is there a chance that i can turn my volume too loud and damage the lower spec speakers?

Or will i not reach that?

Thanks
Panic
Old 02-01-2013, 04:12 AM   #4

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniqL View Post
Hello,

Sorry if its a bit unclear,

I just wanted to know if i will reach 50RMS when watching a film, and wanted to know the average volume for people when watching a film on a surround system,

Is there a chance that i can turn my volume too loud and damage the lower spec speakers?

Or will i not reach that?

Thanks
Don't worry about the numbers, seriously. It's actually better to provide your speakers with more power than they are rated to handle (up to double the RMS rating is what I usually see as generally accepted) rather than less. Under powering your speakers is more of a threat to your speakers than overpowering due to clipping. Your speakers will only demand the power they need in the moment. If they demand more than your receiver/amp can provide you will get clipping which is the enemy of your speakers drivers. Also, since your speakers will only demand the power they need in the moment, having a 2000 watt amp powering a speaker rated at 50 watts RMS would be absolutely no problem until you turn the volume up beyond what would be comfortable to listen to.

As far as average listening volume, it can vary from person to person and room to room. For a very large room you might need to crank it up more to fill the room. I personally listen between -25dB and -20dB (bedroom). Just know that if you begin to hear distortion, you most likely have it up too loud. Otherwise, set it up and enjoy.

More knowledgeable people feel free to jump in and correct me if anything I said is incorrect or misleading.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer

Last edited by Nick The Slick; 02-01-2013 at 04:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #5

Aug 2012
LDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
Don't worry about the numbers, seriously. It's actually better to provide your speakers with more power than they are rated to handle (up to double the RMS rating is what I usually see as generally accepted) rather than less. Under powering your speakers is more of a threat to your speakers than overpowering due to clipping. Your speakers will only demand the power they need in the moment. If they demand more than your receiver/amp can provide you will get clipping which is the enemy of your speakers drivers. Also, since your speakers will only demand the power they need in the moment, having a 2000 watt amp powering a speaker rated at 50 watts RMS would be absolutely no problem until you turn the volume up beyond what would be comfortable to listen to.

As far as average listening volume, it can vary from person to person and room to room. For a very large room you might need to crank it up more to fill the room. I personally listen between -25dB and -20dB (bedroom). Just know that if you begin to hear distortion, you most likely have it up too loud. Otherwise, set it up and enjoy.

More knowledgeable people feel free to jump in and correct me if anything I said is incorrect or misleading.
Thanks for your reply,
So have i got no worry about under powering my speakers as my Receiver has a higher Wattage output?

Also my Receiver is not much more than my speakers rating and people say that speakers can usually take more than they say, so i will have no problem with overpowering my speakers?

Does that mean that there will be a Volume limit so if my current volume demands 75RMS and i turn the volume up, there will be no difference in volume?

But like you said before i reach 75RMS it will probably be uncomfortable to listen to?

Thanks
Panic
Old 02-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

Jan 2012
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniqL View Post
Thanks for your reply,
So have i got no worry about under powering my speakers as my Receiver has a higher Wattage output?

Also my Receiver is not much more than my speakers rating and people say that speakers can usually take more than they say, so i will have no problem with overpowering my speakers?

Does that mean that there will be a Volume limit so if my current volume demands 75RMS and i turn the volume up, there will be no difference in volume?

But like you said before i reach 75RMS it will probably be uncomfortable to listen to?

Thanks
Seriously, stop worrying about numbers that you have no way to see.
Just turn it up to where you like it, and if if starts to sound bad turn it down.....ITS THAT SIMPLE.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva LPA-1 || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 (Pre-Ordered)|| Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony 1100 Remote ||
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers