Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
 
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99
 
True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
 
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
PaniqL PaniqL is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2012
LDN
374
6
Send a message via Skype™ to PaniqL
Default Receiver Volume Questions

Hello,

I have a few questions about receivers and volume levels with different speakers,
I have placed my 5.1 speakers in the correct positions and now have the job to wire and setup.

My L,C&R Speakers are all...
Klipsch G-16 (75W RMS / 300W Peak, 94 dB @ 2.83 V / 1 m)

My Surround Channels are both...
Klipsch RS-62 II (75W RMS / 300W Peak, 93dB @ 2.83V / 1m)

My Receiver is...
Denon AVR 1912 (90W to all channels at the speakers ohms)

I am also looking to add some...
Klipsch G-12 (50W RMS / 200W Peak, 91 dB @ 2.83 V / 1 m)
Which will be used for Front Height channels,

My Question is will i reach 50 RMS?
I often see people calculate the loudness using the information I have provided, i would like to know what kind of Db's are I looking at for an average person to listen to, If i go over 50RMS is there a way to limit the output of the extra channels? And if my Front heights have a lower power rating than my LCR channels will they not be useful?

I am probably wrong and may not come close to 50RMS, but what volume will an average person want? will all these speakers work together without a chance of damaging any of them?

As you probably know i have basic knowledge on this subject and may be getting confused with audio terminology, so i have have made a mistake with anything i have said please tell me,

Many Thanks
- Panic
Panic
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Almadacr Almadacr is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Almadacr's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
420
4
9
Default

Sorry .... what's the question ????
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
PaniqL PaniqL is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2012
LDN
374
6
Send a message via Skype™ to PaniqL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
Sorry .... what's the question ????
Hello,

Sorry if its a bit unclear,

I just wanted to know if i will reach 50RMS when watching a film, and wanted to know the average volume for people when watching a film on a surround system,

Is there a chance that i can turn my volume too loud and damage the lower spec speakers?

Or will i not reach that?

Thanks
Panic
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #4
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Senior Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
106
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniqL View Post
Hello,

Sorry if its a bit unclear,

I just wanted to know if i will reach 50RMS when watching a film, and wanted to know the average volume for people when watching a film on a surround system,

Is there a chance that i can turn my volume too loud and damage the lower spec speakers?

Or will i not reach that?

Thanks
Don't worry about the numbers, seriously. It's actually better to provide your speakers with more power than they are rated to handle (up to double the RMS rating is what I usually see as generally accepted) rather than less. Under powering your speakers is more of a threat to your speakers than overpowering due to clipping. Your speakers will only demand the power they need in the moment. If they demand more than your receiver/amp can provide you will get clipping which is the enemy of your speakers drivers. Also, since your speakers will only demand the power they need in the moment, having a 2000 watt amp powering a speaker rated at 50 watts RMS would be absolutely no problem until you turn the volume up beyond what would be comfortable to listen to.

As far as average listening volume, it can vary from person to person and room to room. For a very large room you might need to crank it up more to fill the room. I personally listen between -25dB and -20dB (bedroom). Just know that if you begin to hear distortion, you most likely have it up too loud. Otherwise, set it up and enjoy.

More knowledgeable people feel free to jump in and correct me if anything I said is incorrect or misleading.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer

Last edited by Nick The Slick; 02-01-2013 at 05:22 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
PaniqL PaniqL is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2012
LDN
374
6
Send a message via Skype™ to PaniqL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
Don't worry about the numbers, seriously. It's actually better to provide your speakers with more power than they are rated to handle (up to double the RMS rating is what I usually see as generally accepted) rather than less. Under powering your speakers is more of a threat to your speakers than overpowering due to clipping. Your speakers will only demand the power they need in the moment. If they demand more than your receiver/amp can provide you will get clipping which is the enemy of your speakers drivers. Also, since your speakers will only demand the power they need in the moment, having a 2000 watt amp powering a speaker rated at 50 watts RMS would be absolutely no problem until you turn the volume up beyond what would be comfortable to listen to.

As far as average listening volume, it can vary from person to person and room to room. For a very large room you might need to crank it up more to fill the room. I personally listen between -25dB and -20dB (bedroom). Just know that if you begin to hear distortion, you most likely have it up too loud. Otherwise, set it up and enjoy.

More knowledgeable people feel free to jump in and correct me if anything I said is incorrect or misleading.
Thanks for your reply,
So have i got no worry about under powering my speakers as my Receiver has a higher Wattage output?

Also my Receiver is not much more than my speakers rating and people say that speakers can usually take more than they say, so i will have no problem with overpowering my speakers?

Does that mean that there will be a Volume limit so if my current volume demands 75RMS and i turn the volume up, there will be no difference in volume?

But like you said before i reach 75RMS it will probably be uncomfortable to listen to?

Thanks
Panic
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Remo Remo is offline
Senior Member
 
Remo's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Michigan
12
191
24
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniqL View Post
Thanks for your reply,
So have i got no worry about under powering my speakers as my Receiver has a higher Wattage output?

Also my Receiver is not much more than my speakers rating and people say that speakers can usually take more than they say, so i will have no problem with overpowering my speakers?

Does that mean that there will be a Volume limit so if my current volume demands 75RMS and i turn the volume up, there will be no difference in volume?

But like you said before i reach 75RMS it will probably be uncomfortable to listen to?

Thanks
Seriously, stop worrying about numbers that you have no way to see.
Just turn it up to where you like it, and if if starts to sound bad turn it down.....ITS THAT SIMPLE.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva IPS-1 (7 Channel) || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 || Main L&R - Polk Audio LSi9 || Center - PolkAudio LSiC || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor OWM3 || Subwoofer - Polk Audio PSW505 || Harmony Ultimate Remote ||
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:19 AM.