Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.91
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$14.59
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 AM   #761
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

As a Blu-ray aficionado, I think I got an *indirect* response to my sentiments for further communication on the 4K distribution platform from the RED TEAM…”Unless someone comes out with a optical disk that is incredibly awesome I wouldn't bet on them being used for anything for much longer..as soon as Video games gets over them those 5 inch shiny circles likely will go the way of cassete tapes and the do-do bird” -
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1142842

Ouch!
For the sake of Blu-ray movies, I hope Blu-ray video games have a long, long life.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973

Last edited by Penton-Man; 01-29-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 AM   #762

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Love the clip
I put a lot of work into that sort of thing, you know.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 AM   #763
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post

As a Blu-ray aficionado, I think I got an *indirect* response to my sentiments for further communication on the 4K distribution platform from the RED TEAM…”Unless someone comes out with a optical disk that is incredibly awesome I wouldn't bet on them being used for anything for much longer..as soon as Video games gets over them those 5 inch shiny circles likely will go the way of cassete tapes and the do-do bird” -
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1142842

Ouch!
For the sake of Blu-ray movies, I hope Blu-ray video games have a long, long life.
It truly is quite pathetic how clueless that guy his, they should shut him up, he's gonna be the reason of their demise if it lasts.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #764

May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
It truly is quite pathetic how clueless that guy his, they should shut him up, he's gonna be the reason of their demise if it lasts.
He is correct. Physical media as a method of getting 1s and 0s into consumers homes is going the way of the dinosaurs.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #765
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by vargo View Post
He is correct. Physical media as a method of getting 1s and 0s into consumers homes is going the way of the dinosaurs.
I'm not debating the future methods of distribution possibilities or the validity of the product as that as been addressed countless times, what I am saying is that for many months, if not longer, he keeps advertising things that are not happening either like promised, or at all.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #766

Apr 2007

Quote:
It’s quite amusing and at the same time ludicrous how fanboys continuously accept these things, as if professional entertainment credentials are a guarantee of accuracy, i.e. he is an ‘official’ employee of x, or xx or xxx, so, he must be ‘right’.

“Well the flu has not only ravaged Sundance but managed to clobber the 4 ODEMAX presenters. We’re here but it’s ugly.”…..last tweet on Jan. 20 –

https://twitter.com/ODEMAX

^ I say to ODEMAX, well somehow, either some people escaped the flu, or soldiered on and still made news at Sundance…by doing distribution deals, like so -

• The Way, Way Back: $9.75 Million, Fox Searchlight
• Don Jon’s Addiction: $4 Million, Relativity Media ($25 million P&A)
• Austenland: $4 Million, Sony
• Lovelace: $3 Million, RADiUS – TWC
• Kill Your Darlings: $2 Million, Sony Pictures Classics
• Fruitvale: $2.5 million, The Weinstein Company
• S-VHS: > $1 Million, Magnolia Pictures
• Ain’t Them Bodies Saints: $1 Million, IFC Films
• We Are What We Are: > $1 Million, eOne Distribution — US and Memento Films — International
• Concussion: > $1 Million, RADiUS-TWC
• The Spectacular Now: > $1 Million, A24
• Before Midnight: Undisclosed, Sony Pictures Classics — North American and UK
• jOBS: Undisclosed, Open Road
• The Look of Love: Undisclosed, IFC Films
• Newlyweeds: Undisclosed, Phase 4 Films — North America
• Prince Avalanche: Undisclosed, Magnolia Pictures
• The Rambler: Undisclosed, Anchor Bay Films — North America, the U.K. and Australia
• Toy’s House: Undisclosed, CBS Films — North America
• Two Mothers: Undisclosed, Exclusive Releasing

• Blackfish: > $1 million, CNN Films and Magnolia Pictures
• ***** Riot — A Punk Prayer: > $1 million, HBO Documentary Films
• The Summit: > $1 million, AMC Networks’ Sundance Selects
• Twenty Feet From Stardom: > $1 million, RADiUS-TWC
• Dirty Wars: Undisclosed, AMC Networks’ Sundance Selects
• History of the Eagles: Undisclosed, Showtime
• Inequality for All: Undisclosed, RADiUS-TWC
• The Machine Which Makes Everything Disappear: Undisclosed, Icarus Films — North American rights

Pentatonic, there is so much crap which is declared, stated, etc. in the entertainment business (generally by those not trained in engineering, computer science or other scientific disciplines) that it is truly incredible, but fanboys of a particular individual or entity choose to marginalize these things...and worse, the rah-rah fanboys intentionally ignore or dismiss these occurrences altogether.

And I don’t want to seem to be ‘picking on’ the RED/ODEMAX partnership. There’s been worse blatantly bad faith behavior from executives at other studios (I’m talking majors, not a ‘little’ one like RED studios), i.e. the notorious “consultation” statement….

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....lt#post6782166

Or, from another, see last paragraph here, for context
https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter...50222861171558

^ Well, P.J. I’ll tell you what the reality “will be”. Despite the clearly original intent to distribute as WIDELY as possible because the filmmakers were proud of their work, after the mixed reviews from CinemaCon (prior to its worldwide release), the HFR 3D version was restricted….

Quote:
Interesting aside about The Hobbit (not mentioned by Ted and honestly, probably not known by him) is that worldwide, after the digital projector upgrades (which varied in expense), just about 4,000 auditoriums were capable of projecting the 3D HFR version….and only about 1,000 – 1500 actually were sent the DCPs in order to do so.
(b.t.w., that’s a typo in the upper paragraph ^, should be about 1200 – 1500).

Anyway, so, Jarred (and Jon from ODEMAX), don’t get the impression I’m exclusively ‘picking on’ you guys. There’s plenty of crap to call out by ‘professional’ entertainment people all over Hollywood but,....
But, every once-in-awhile there is an individual shining light that bolsters one’s view of the ‘business’, e.g. see page 16-17, “DreamWorks Event Raises Over $1 Million for "….http://www.usc.edu/hsc/info/pr/keckmed/winter2013/

Credit goes to an anonymous studio executive who emailed me ^ the link.

Last edited by Penton-Man; 01-29-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: fixed quote/link and page reference
Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #767

Apr 2007

Quote:
But, keep in mind, they (RED) still chose other forms of physical media to complement their yet to ship REDRAY player….http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....al#post7004971

Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #768

Apr 2007

Oh man. Here we go again.

Well, it had better rain soon on a weekend in SoCal, see this post for background….
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ty#post7068754

For it’s apparent that some tech reporters, are STILL intellectually challenged regarding “basic biology” …http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-still-stupid/

I’ll get around to addressing this newest “stupid” rant when I’ve got more time and, if not expeditiously, then I’ll just dig up an old lucky lecture which may be a better descriptor anyway, if it contains any figures for visual aid. Despite my describing more up-to-date research as presented to SMPTE on ultra high resolution displays from NHK, it obviously didn’t get processed by this particular journalist’s grey matter…the first time -
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....te#post5922985

In short, with regards to 4K displays, the chart is flawed.

And journalists should have realized/appreciated that at the past CES in viewing 4K. In other words, the threshold indicated on that dated graph as to where “4K starts to become noticeable” <- I’m quoting the graph caption itself, is simply…off….. because the only “biology” that graph takes into account is resolution, i.e. minimum separation to resolve two objects.

Human vision (whether someone is 20/10 or 20/20) involves more than that.

Last edited by Penton-Man; 01-30-2013 at 06:51 PM. Reason: quoted directly
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #769
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Quote:
HUGE milestone . I would say the next one of similar magnitude will be when the next generation Playstation is announced to ship.
I knew it!!!!

Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 AM   #770
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

Quote:
Not anytime soon.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #771
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
do you mean be around for 135M years

Maybe physical media won't be around forever (personally I think one day it will be gone) but why live today with what will make sense in 1000, 100, 50, 20 or even 10 years from now(when ever DL/makes sense) if what I am realy interested in is watching films now?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #772

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
do you mean be around for 135M years ...
I’m still trying to wrap my head around how long the ‘do-do bird’ lived on earth?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #773

Apr 2007

Quote:
Human vision (whether someone is 20/10 or 20/20) involves more than that.
And it is quantifiable to a subdivision of one arc minute…., the later being the basis of the tech reporter's rant.

And it forms the mechanism as to how Naval Aviators have confirmed their correct glide path for a carrier landing.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #774
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I’m still trying to wrap my head around how long the ‘do-do bird’ lived on earth?
I am going to a duck doo tomorrow!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #775
Power Member

Mar 2011

Funny girl gets a 4k scan

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...g-bad-a-416830
What are you? I'm Batman
Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #776
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
So am I.

As long as it doesn't happen anytime soon...
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #777

Jul 2011

4K article restoration for Breaking Bad and other Sony titles.

http://m.digitaltrends.com/home-thea...tra-hd-future/

Sony to remaster ‘Breaking Bad’ for some Ultra HD meth cooking

Walter White is going to get a second chance at life now that Sony Pictures Television has announced a remastering of all five seasons of AMC’s popular drama “Breaking Bad.” The new editions will be available in ultra-high definition “4K” quality as part of the company’s drive to increase the amount of content available in that format.

The series is just one of the many titles Sony plans on up-converting into the new format, which offers picture quality that’s four times superior than today’s HD programming (Hence “4K”); other titles in the Sony library that will undergo the improvements include popular films “Ghostbusters,” “Groundhog Day,” and the non-Bill Murray-starring “Glory,” according to the Hollywood Reporter. The announced upgrades come following the unveiling of multiple 4K-ready televisions at the Consumer Electronics Show earlier this month, with Sony hoping to offer enough content that it will drive potential customers towards purchase.

“It has increased our workload somewhat,” Sony’s EVP of Asset Management, Film Restoration and Digital Mastering, Grover Crisp, told the Reporter. “There is a need for 4K content. We are hoping to fill some of that need.”

In order to transfer the material to the required quality, the individual camera negatives for each title have to be scanned and corrected – including color grading and image restoration where necessary – digitally. Much of the work is being handled at Colorworks, a Sony-owned post-production house in Culver City, California, which will launch a department devoted entirely to 4K television production today.

Such a facility is likely to become more valuable to the company in upcoming months and years; within the last week, the International Telecommunication Union agreed on a new video coding standard – unofficially called High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC) – that “could enable the practical introduction of 4K broadcast services on today’s over-the-air channels,” according to Sony’s CEO Hugo Gaggioni. He also understandably described the move as “a significant next step toward enabling the transmission of high-bandwidth data, such as 4K content.”

For now, 4K distribution is still rather difficult. Both “On The Waterfront” and “Funny Girl” have been upconverted into the format for Blu-ray release, but Blu-ray doesn’t actually support true 4K. This means the signals from the discs will have to be upconverted for full effect, which in itself is of lower quality than 4K but it’s “the best possible picture” technology can provide currently. Confusing, huh? Basically, to see 4K remastering as it is meant to be seen, audiences will have to head to movie theaters: “On The Waterfront” and “Funny Girl” will both be shown at movie festivals to promote their new editions before the Blu-ray release. Aside from that, time to wait for the next generation of Blu-rays.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #778

Apr 2007

^ I’ll bet that one former Insider is doing somersaults…. backwards, after hearing the news. But, I really wish people wouldn’t say that, e.g. “the new format, which offers picture quality that’s four times superior than today’s HD programming (Hence “4K”)”

for it is not just misleading to the potential consumer who has a sincere interest in 4K but, it is outright inaccurate. What I mean is that 4K is about 4x the pixel count of HD….not nearly 4x the picture quality of HD. After reading that, when unassuming consumers actually view these upcoming 4K displays at their local retailer, some might think they are in dire need of an eye exam.

Reminds me of how when the Red One camera launched, it was constantly touted as a ‘4K camera’ and only after conceding that the effective resolution was only about 3.1 or 3.2K….at most, did the marketing hyperbole regarding “a 4K camera”, even begin to recede.

Anyway, on a more accurate note , for those unaware, I am a native of the Baltimore vicinity (see, P.S. – http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....re#post6801515 ), so support of Baltimore football (American) was a large part of my formative years and shared experiences with my Dad. It has continued to this day even though I’ve moved to the West Coast and my Dad has passed. Thusly, my wife and I are off to New Orleans today and I’m just happy the Ravens made it to the Super Bowl …win or lose.

As to the 4K tie-in, well here ya go, a special camera - http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/6...o-mo?nocookies

Looking forward to the day when the 4K is not downconverted to HD to our tv’s. At the very minimum, it will save me big $$ in traveling expenses, hotel lodging, etc.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #779
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

both 'Giant' and 'The Great Escape' have gone through 4K restorations and will be shown in 4K DCP form at this year's TCM Classic Film Festival in LA in April

http://filmfestival.tcm.com/CMS/img/510c3bb583bce.pdf
Old 02-04-2013, 03:14 AM   #780
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by stts651 View Post
PAHETIC, PEOPLE do you realize ULTRA and/or 4k at the bitrate of 20 something mb per second, will ONLY give you the almost equivalent of seeing 1080p video at its uncompressed state ?

I have been to a trade show and I have seen - compressed 1080p - right next to a display showing - uncompressed 1080p - and next to it was a prototype display with the - proposed H.265 compressed 4k -and then next to it and - uncompressed 4k display. The clip was only like 15 seconds due to how many terabytes the uncompressed 4k video took up.

the uncompressed video looked almost exactly the same as h2.65 compressed 4k video and the REAL UNCOMPRESSED 4k looked jaw dropping.

SO either give us uncompressed 1080p video or forget 4k UNLESS you give us uncompressed 4k video.
Which trade show did you see this demo at? I would love uncompressed 1080p or 4K but unfortunately that's impossible because, as you mentioned, it takes up too much space. We'll have to rely on movie theaters for uncompressed films. Which actually i think are compressed a little anyway.

But the difference was that big huh? The compression codecs are suppose make it so the compressed film looks the same as the uncompressed but i guess there's only so much you can do compressing terabytes of information down to gigs.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology