Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic World 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.59
22 hrs ago
The LEGO Ninjago Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.97

Minions 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Walk 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.97
8 hrs ago
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.50

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.43

Prometheus 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.26

Jurassic Park Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.78

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #901
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
There isn't enough money in it to go direct to 3D BD, Fox tried it on the cheap with I Robot, and that tanked.
[Show spoiler](It never even cracked the BD top 20.) There has to be additional markets to sell these conversions... Maybe when they can license them to 3D channels but they probably won't be able to pay what the studios need to recoup their cost for decent 2D-3D conversions.

Sure the studios made tons of money off of the films they've already converted, such as the Pixar films, Jurassic Park etc, but the goal is to make more money. If it isn't profitable, it dies... In a studios eyes, a re-release is a new release.

Thus, Little Mermaid, Star Wars Ep II & III and Independence Day (remember that was supposed to happened for the 4th of July...) have all been canned for now.

fitprod

3D is just an offshoot of digital cinema at this point. Theater owners have been balking at the expense of transitioning to digital for years but don't have a choice as all studios push for digital delivery.

I think ultimately we will see a wave of theater consolidation and closures in the US over the next five years. As it is AMC and the historic Chinese Theater in Hollywood have already be bought by a Chinese companies. (The planned changes to convert the Chinese Theater to stadium seating is an insult to the history of the theater and Hollywood...)

fitprod
fitprod,

Yes, more than home video, including pay per view 3D or netflix 3D, etc at home is a better option. I Robot's 3D was poorly converted overall despite some nice 3D shots here and there. That's a better reason it may have not done well in sales besides the fact most fans already owned it on video.

If the 3D industry relied mainly on 3D Re-Releases of old movies to survive, then 3D would be in trouble. But with the huge slate of NEW movies and major blockbusters coming out in 3D (Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Star Wars VII, GI Joe Retaliation, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Avengers 2, Avatar 2 and 3, etc) for 2013, 2014 and beyond, indicates 3D is not going away as the haters may wish.

Are you a fan of 3D yourself with a 3DTV? Only because your posts seem to have a more pessimistic view of 3D's future, rarely pointing out any positives of 3D, but more or less suggesting its impending doom. No offense to your point of view, as even the negative view can offer interesting discussion and the opportunity to learn more.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #902
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
If the 3D industry relied mainly on 3D Re-Releases of old movies to survive, then 3D would be in trouble. But with the huge slate of NEW movies and major blockbusters coming out in 3D (Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Star Wars VII, GI Joe Retaliation, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Avengers 2, Avatar 2 and 3, etc) for 2013, 2014 and beyond, indicates 3D is not going away as the haters may wish.

Are you a fan of 3D yourself with a 3DTV? Only because your posts seem to have a more pessimistic view of 3D's future, rarely pointing out any positives of 3D, but more or less suggesting its impending doom. No offense to your point of view, as even the negative view can offer interesting discussion and the opportunity to learn more.
I work with 3D all the time and I get paid for it, but my primary issue with it? It doesn't enhance the experience for me. I've honestly yet to see a film that has needed it... Well, maybe Drive Angry, but to say that is a good movie would be an insult to Cyborg...

Does 3D improve a well written super hero movie like The Avengers? Does it improve the weaknesses of bad ones like Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance? My answer is no in both cases.

I'm a movie and tech geek, so I've always adopted technologies in the early stages. I had laserdisc in 1982 (Never wasted a dime on VHS or Beta); I literally had one of the first Dolby Digital receivers released back in the summer of 1995; I bought my first DVD player during the early launch in 1997; collected DVD-Audio/SACD and had both HD formats in early 2006.

I figure I'll end up getting a 3D TV when 4k sets are affordable, but it will be for the 4k upgrade, not 3D.

fitprod
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #903

Oct 2011

I wouldn't even be interested in movies like I am if it weren't for 3D. It definitely changes the movie going experience. Would have never seen The Avengers if it wasn't 3D. Having seen Avengers there is no way it would be as visually appealing in 2D as it is in 3D.

If there was no 3D I would probably only see the odd must see blockbuster(that appeals to me like Batman) recreationally every now and then at the cinemas. I would only buy the few all time Favorite films I love on DVD(that format is good enough). I wouldn't bother with a great home theatre set up.

Oh and I work with 3D as an artist and not a working stiff! Not that it should matter, working with something doesn't make one an authority on artistic value.

tigermoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
If you're right, that's got to concern a lot of theater owners who invested in this technology anticipating a big return.
I said 3D re-releases not 3D releases. All of these 3D re-releases have also been released in 2D at the same time as the 3D re-release.

Last edited by tigermoth; 02-01-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #904
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPixarMarvel View Post
How is it an insult its progress to the future all theaters now Adays offer stadium seating the Chinese theatre has to update themselves or get left behind. I'm sure in the future Disney will gradually update the el capitan theatre to stadium seating if they haven't already done so.
Have you been to either theater? I'm just curious.

Neither theater is designed to become a stadium theater, and shouldn't be. These are the old theaters that have survived during the transition to cookie cutter box theaters that often have worse presentations than the Chinese Theater or El Capitan. Disney and Mann (The original owner of the Chinese Theater) went through major expenses to preserve the theaters' original design, while updating their sound systems and projection equipment.

If they convert the Chinese Theater, which isn't guaranteed since there will be a hell of a fight locally by the old film industry and others since it's already a historical monument, most people in the area will never return. People go to the Chinese for it's history, classic design and atmosphere, in addition to it's high quality presentations.

fitprod
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #905

Oct 2011

Quote:
Have you been to either theater? I'm just curious.

Neither theater is designed to become a stadium theater, and shouldn't be. These are the old theaters that have survived during the transition to cookie cutter box theaters that often have worse presentations than the Chinese Theater or El Capitan. Disney and Mann (The original owner of the Chinese Theater) went through major expenses to preserve the theaters' original design, while updating their sound systems and projection equipment.

If they convert the Chinese Theater, which isn't guaranteed since there will be a hell of a fight locally by the old film industry and others since it's already a historical monument, most people in the area will never return. People go to the Chinese for it's history, classic design and atmosphere, in addition to it's high quality presentations.

fitprod
They are just movies, people will still got to them if they update. The old film industry will eventually die and nobody will care. It's just a building, it's the movies that count.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 AM   #906
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
I work with 3D all the time and I get paid for it, but my primary issue with it? It doesn't enhance the experience for me. I've honestly yet to see a film that has needed it... Well, maybe Drive Angry, but to say that is a good movie would be an insult to Cyborg...

Does 3D improve a well written super hero movie like The Avengers? Does it improve the weaknesses of bad ones like Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance? My answer is no in both cases.

I'm a movie and tech geek, so I've always adopted technologies in the early stages. I had laserdisc in 1982 (Never wasted a dime on VHS or Beta); I literally had one of the first Dolby Digital receivers released back in the summer of 1995; I bought my first DVD player during the early launch in 1997; collected DVD-Audio/SACD and had both HD formats in early 2006.

I figure I'll end up getting a 3D TV when 4k sets are affordable, but it will be for the 4k upgrade, not 3D.

fitprod
Thanks for the info Fitprod. I can understand why a museum would want to preserve its original design for nostalgia and historical reference, regarding the debate about the Chinese Theater in CA. That is what makes the theater more like a museum to see a movie in, as Lucas and many others have seen since it was built many years ago.

The advantage to 3D vs 2D? It's an extension of three dimensional human sight, where both eyes combine two separate images to create dimension, instead of being flat as if only one eye was used: James Cameron, to paraphrase, about 2D vs 3D: "We're not cyclops with one eye".
If done right, Stereo 3D enhances the feeling of looking through a window and almost "Being there" in another world.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to the day they introduce fine tuned 3DTVs without the need for any glasses at an affordable price to support the growing 3D content.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 02-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #907

Oct 2012

Does anyone know if there's been any update on this lately??
Old 02-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #908
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

I very much doubt there will be any home video release of this now, especially since the other theatrical 3D releases have been cancelled.

Maybe after or leading up to Episode 7 they will re release all 6 to build up to the new chapter.
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.

Last edited by Mavrick; 02-09-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #909

Jul 2010
Sunshine State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I very much doubt there will be any home video release of this now, especially since the other theatrical 3D releases have been cancelled.

Maybe after or leading up to Episode 7 they will re release all 6 to build up to the new chapter.
They haven't been cancelled. Mearly delayed.

But with DELAYED in mind, I was at Star Wars Celebration and saw EP II in 3D (5minutes). No reason they needed to delay it as all the key scenes were shown. Money grubbing folk is all.

With that in mind, as much as the offical statement said delayed, I can completely aggree with cancelled. I'm suprised since every disney movie since 3d's birth has been 3d. I would have thought that they would want to milk the cash cow.

If this bluray does never see the light of day, I will be very happy knowing I saw it in theaters.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #910

Oct 2012
Default Star Wars 3D

So what is happening with STAR WARS PHANTOM MENACE 3D. I MISS IT IN THEATRE. It's been almost 2 years. I bought a 3d tv for that movie.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #911
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blae03 View Post
So what is happening with STAR WARS PHANTOM MENACE 3D. I MISS IT IN THEATRE. It's been almost 2 years. I bought a 3d tv for that movie.
Last I heard, Disney has put all 3D conversions of the older Star Wars movies on hold, pending the new Star Wars VII, VIII and IX, which are likely to be in 3D.

Here's hoping they give Star Wars Episode I the strong 3D conversion it should have gotten to begin with, along the lines of Titanic 3D and Jurassic Park 3D. It paled in comparison to those efforts.

There was a thread about this, but no big deal.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #912

Aug 2012

I would like to see episode 1-6 come to 3D bluray some time soon. I have been waiting a long time for this.
Thanks given by:
The Last Goonie (09-02-2014), wvl (01-06-2015)
Old 07-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #913
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

I agree with Zivouhr. I think we will see Episodes I-VI on 3D blu when the new Star Wars film in 2015 hits theaters (at least Episode I by then) imo.
PLEASE take a look at my NEW home theater gallery pics!!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #914
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by blae03 View Post
Many people bought there 3DTV for the same reason, I'm sure. But from what I have heard..and what Zivouhr stated..I heard the 3D conversion for Episode I was not all that great. Probably are doing us a favor by holding off until the future Star Wars film(s) hits theaters,imo.
PLEASE take a look at my NEW home theater gallery pics!!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #915
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taygan315 View Post
I agree with Zivouhr. I think we will see Episodes I-VI on 3D blu when the new Star Wars film in 2015 hits theaters (at least Episode I by then) imo.
I would like to have all of the first 6 in strong 3D, though I imagine it can be done if it's sent out to conversion companies and given the proper budget so they can get the strongest 3D.

For Episode I's 3D, I would amp it up more if I were them, but I doubt it will happen.

I'd actually be surprised if we get all six by 2015 Star Wars VII, but here's hoping.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #916
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

I thought Panasonic got a hold of it just like they did Avatar a few years back and were planning on bundling it exclusively with their TVs, but that was news last year I though so it's probably fallen through in some way or another..

If that still happens it will be on ebay no doubt but prepare to pay.

http://m.techradar.com/news/televisi...lu-ray-1064974

There is even a picture of the bundle in that article, I don't know what happened for sure..
Want to manually convert 2d to 3d yourself and accurately - not with an automated software? Check out my topic and tutorial here.

Last edited by Jsmith82; 07-23-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #917
Power Member

Feb 2011
Southern NH

I guess they (Panasonic) were asked to put it on hold until episode VII launches in 2015. it makes sense to promote the new movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmith82 View Post
I thought Panasonic got a hold of it just like they did Avatar a few years back and were planning on bundling it exclusively with their TVs, but that was news last year I though so it's probably fallen through in some way or another..

If that still happens it will be on ebay no doubt but prepare to pay.

http://m.techradar.com/news/televisi...lu-ray-1064974

There is even a picture of the bundle in that article, I don't know what happened for sure..
Living Room: Mitsubishi WD82738 1080p 3D, Onkyo HT-9400 THX 7.1, Oppo DV-980H, Sony BDP-S6500 (Multi Region), Roku 2 XS
Bedroom: Sony XBR-65-850E 4K, PS4 launch edition
Basement: Sony XBR-75-Z9D 4K 3D, Marantz SR-8012 11.2, 2 B&W 683, 4 B&W 684S2, B&W HTM61S2, 1 B&W ASW610, (Atmos Speakers TBD), Marantz TT-15S1, Sony UBP-X800, PS4 Pro, PSVR Bundle, PS3 60GB 1st gen.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #918
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLMN View Post
I guess they (Panasonic) were asked to put it on hold until episode VII launches in 2015. it makes sense to promote the new movie.
Yeah, definitely. I was surprised that never dropped since the handshake deal for promotion was what looks like secured in February 2012 and Lucas selling to Disney occurred in 2013. I guess those talks were already underway and the promotional deal for Panasonic was contingent on what took place between the 2 companies.

From what I understand we're not missing much, like Taygan pointed out it was met with harsh reviews regarding the conversion quality, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't buy it - it's Star Wars, it's 3d (or 2.875 d heh..), part of the collection, it must be..
Want to manually convert 2d to 3d yourself and accurately - not with an automated software? Check out my topic and tutorial here.

Last edited by Jsmith82; 07-23-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #919
Power Member

Jul 2007

There was never a deal in place for Star Wars 3D... People saw the packaging an mis-interpreted the logos on the package.

The BD 3D logo was just part of what the actual player would do. (Just like the BD and DVD logos...) It had nothing to do with The Phantom Menace 3D.

fitprod
Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #920

Dec 2012

I actually saw this movie when it was in theaters 2 years ago. 3D was meh... with some scenes looking pretty good. But it was enough to plant a seed, I guess. Because shortly thereafter I decided I MUST have a 3D TV, for some odd reason. Never connected the two events, but now it makes sense.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies