Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$11.12
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Faculty (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.93
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Swordfish View Post
I'm sorry to say this but I'm pretty sure these movies are going to be completely canned. Disney already canned The Little Mermaid and now they are "postponing" 2 more 3D movies just weeks later? Usually when something is postponed till further notice that just means they are going to sweep it under the rug and forget all about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeatron85 View Post
How far along into the conversion process were they? If they were quite far into it, I doubt it will be skipped entirely. I'd say it's more likely they'll hold these off until just prior to the release of Episode 7 so they can generate a bit of hype.

I'd say SWE1 3D performed quite well - it earned over $100 million worldwide. If the cost of converting was even as pricey as Titanic's (which I severely doubt), then it earned over 5x the cost of production.
I was worried too that they might just be forgotten, but with Disney fully behind Star Wars, and their strong support of 3D films in general and all they do to help grow the 3D library in recent years, I think when they say "Postponed" to concentrate their efforts on VII, I'll hope for the best, being that Star Wars is a major money making franchise, and a strong 3D conversion can make a big difference for drawing in new 3DTV fans when they're ready to bring these out.

Disney probably figured they have II, III, IV, V, and VI to convert into 3D, which honestly is a big undertaking. I think they look at it as a package deal, wanting to get them all converted with justice, and hopefully at the strong 3D level of Titanic, Jurassic Park. 2015 for SW VII is not far away.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 AM   #22
Special Member

Jul 2012
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
I was worried too that they might just be forgotten, but with Disney fully behind Star Wars, and their strong support of 3D films in general and all they do to help grow the 3D library in recent years, I think when they say "Postponed" to concentrate their efforts on VII, I'll hope for the best, being that Star Wars is a major money making franchise, and a strong 3D conversion can make a big difference for drawing in new 3DTV fans when they're ready to bring these out.

Disney probably figured they have II, III, IV, V, and VI to convert into 3D, which honestly is a big undertaking. I think they look at it as a package deal, wanting to get them all converted with justice, and hopefully at the strong 3D level of Titanic, Jurassic Park. 2015 for SW VII is not far away.
It just makes me very unsettled that Disney has either canceled or postponed 3 different 3d movies within a month. It makes me even more unsettled because I believe Episode II was almost 100% done with its conversion process. There could have been a last minute problem with Fox and Disney over the release of II and III so maybe thats why they are postponed. There is also a chance (which I'm really hoping for) that they now will just wait right before episode VII comes out to release all 6 in theaters in 3D. That would be a pretty smart marketing idea.

Whatever the case may be, with the cancelling of The Little Mermaid (which I would never have seen or bought anyways, so no big loss there), and the postponing of eps II and III, and the cancellation of Independence Day 3D, there are some pretty important losses for 3D. I just have to admit it doesn't make me feel that comfortable about the movie studios wanting the format to survive and I'm sure the 3D haters will chime in that the death of 3D is coming. Just as they have been already. But I sure will still be purchasing many more 3D Blu's over the couple of years to come regardless, I just hope that Star Wars will eventually be one of them.

Last edited by Operation Swordfish; 02-01-2013 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 AM   #23

Oct 2011

I think there is concern that 3D re-releases have been oversaturated in the theatrical market. I still think all the Star Wars movies will be released in 3D at some point... it just might be a long time. I see studious slowing down the pace of 3D re-releases in cinemas and not stopping.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:28 AM   #24
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

I was so disappointed when I saw the news of the postponement :*(
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #25
Banned

Sep 2011
Default Disappointed too hopefully the wait helps the conversions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
I was so disappointed when I saw the news of the postponement :*(
I was disappointed too but hopefully it means they are just making sure Star Wars 7 is all the more awesome and as great as any of the origina trilogy movies. Plus converting all of the Star Wars movies from the past to 3d was a passion project for George lucas so I'm pretty sure they will eventually all come besides 3d conversion technology will advance much more and the extra time will make the 3d conversions of the original trilogy as good or better than titanic 3d.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:17 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Swordfish View Post
There is also a chance (which I'm really hoping for) that they now will just wait right before episode VII comes out to release all 6 in theaters in 3D. That would be a pretty smart marketing idea.
That would be nice and yes, good marketing to psych up for VII. You never know, however unlikely it may seem, maybe they have the teams still working on them undercover? They would have to re-convert Episode I to match the strong 3D in Titanic to make it worthwhile IMO for theaters (along with the other films). Wishful thinking, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
I think there is concern that 3D re-releases have been oversaturated in the theatrical market. I still think all the Star Wars movies will be released in 3D at some point... it just might be a long time. I see studious slowing down the pace of 3D re-releases in cinemas and not stopping.
In general, 3D re-releases in theaters are a mistake for studios because people have already seen the film or already own it on video and unless the 3D is insanely spectacular, most people won't be swayed to see it in theaters when there are so many new films competing with it. Direct to video for 3D re-releases is the best way to go IMO.

The exceptions to the rule might include Terminator 2 in 3D, Star Wars IV, V, VII and a few other classic, massive blockbusters. (Like the Exorcist in strong 3D for the horror genre to bring you right into that room as though you were almost there, the cracked door opening to reveal the nightmare waiting behind it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPixarMarvel View Post
I was disappointed too but hopefully it means they are just making sure Star Wars 7 is all the more awesome and as great as any of the original trilogy movies. Plus converting all of the Star Wars movies from the past to 3d was a passion project for George lucas so I'm pretty sure they will eventually all come besides 3d conversion technology will advance much more and the extra time will make the 3d conversions of the original trilogy as good or better than titanic 3d.
Sounds good. Agreed.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
Special Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Direct to video for 3D re-releases is the best way to go IMO.
There isn't enough money in it to go direct to 3D BD, Fox tried it on the cheap with I Robot, and that tanked. (It never even cracked the BD top 20.) There has to be additional markets to sell these conversions... Maybe when they can license them to 3D channels but they probably won't be able to pay what the studios need to recoup their cost for decent 2D-3D conversions.

Sure the studios made tons of money off of the films they've already converted, such as the Pixar films, Jurassic Park etc, but the goal is to make more money. If it isn't profitable, it dies... In a studios eyes, a re-release is a new release.

Thus, Little Mermaid, Star Wars Ep II & III and Independence Day (remember that was supposed to happened for the 4th of July...) have all been canned for now.

fitprod
Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
If you're right, that's got to concern a lot of theater owners who invested in this technology anticipating a big return.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #29
Special Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
If you're right, that's got to concern a lot of theater owners who invested in this technology anticipating a big return.
3D is just an offshoot of digital cinema at this point. Theater owners have been balking at the expense of transitioning to digital for years but don't have a choice as all studios push for digital delivery.

I think ultimately we will see a wave of theater consolidation and closures in the US over the next five years. As it is AMC and the historic Chinese Theater in Hollywood have already be bought by a Chinese companies. (The planned changes to convert the Chinese Theater to stadium seating is an insult to the history of the theater and Hollywood...)

fitprod
Old 01-31-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
Banned

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitprod View Post
3D is just an offshoot of digital cinema at this point. Theater owners have been balking at the expense of transitioning to digital for years but don't have a choice as all studios push for digital delivery.

I think ultimately we will see a wave of theater consolidation and closures in the US over the next five years. As it is AMC and the historic Chinese Theater in Hollywood have already be bought by a Chinese companies. (The planned changes to convert the Chinese Theater to stadium seating is an insult to the history of the theater and Hollywood...)

fitprod
How is it an insult its progress to the future all theaters now Adays offer stadium seating the Chinese theatre has to update themselves or get left behind. I'm sure in the future Disney will gradually update the el capitan theatre to stadium seating if they haven't already done so.

Anyways Disney postponed the releases because it doesn't want over saturate the market with star wArs films when a new one is coming so soon heck I'm not even sure there happy they did that with Pixars monsters inc. for finding nemo it made sense seeing as any planned sequel is still years away but with monsters inc it may have diluted profits for monsters university we will just have to wait and see this coming summer. What damage/good it actually caused here's hoping it did more good for monsters unversity.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
There isn't enough money in it to go direct to 3D BD, Fox tried it on the cheap with I Robot, and that tanked.
[Show spoiler](It never even cracked the BD top 20.) There has to be additional markets to sell these conversions... Maybe when they can license them to 3D channels but they probably won't be able to pay what the studios need to recoup their cost for decent 2D-3D conversions.

Sure the studios made tons of money off of the films they've already converted, such as the Pixar films, Jurassic Park etc, but the goal is to make more money. If it isn't profitable, it dies... In a studios eyes, a re-release is a new release.

Thus, Little Mermaid, Star Wars Ep II & III and Independence Day (remember that was supposed to happened for the 4th of July...) have all been canned for now.

fitprod

fitprod
fitprod,

Yes, more than home video, including pay per view 3D or netflix 3D, etc at home is a better option. I Robot's 3D was poorly converted overall despite some nice 3D shots here and there. That's a better reason it may have not done well in sales besides the fact most fans already owned it on video.

If the 3D industry relied mainly on 3D Re-Releases of old movies to survive, then 3D would be in trouble. But with the huge slate of NEW movies and major blockbusters coming out in 3D (Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Star Wars VII, GI Joe Retaliation, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Avengers 2, Avatar 2 and 3, etc) for 2013, 2014 and beyond, indicates 3D is not going away as the haters may wish.

Are you a fan of 3D yourself with a 3DTV? Only because your posts seem to have a more pessimistic view of 3D's future, rarely pointing out any positives of 3D, but more or less suggesting its impending doom. No offense to your point of view, as even the negative view can offer interesting discussion and the opportunity to learn more.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #32
Special Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
If the 3D industry relied mainly on 3D Re-Releases of old movies to survive, then 3D would be in trouble. But with the huge slate of NEW movies and major blockbusters coming out in 3D (Man of Steel, Iron Man 3, Star Wars VII, GI Joe Retaliation, Thor 2, Captain America 2, Avengers 2, Avatar 2 and 3, etc) for 2013, 2014 and beyond, indicates 3D is not going away as the haters may wish.

Are you a fan of 3D yourself with a 3DTV? Only because your posts seem to have a more pessimistic view of 3D's future, rarely pointing out any positives of 3D, but more or less suggesting its impending doom. No offense to your point of view, as even the negative view can offer interesting discussion and the opportunity to learn more.
I work with 3D all the time and I get paid for it, but my primary issue with it? It doesn't enhance the experience for me. I've honestly yet to see a film that has needed it... Well, maybe Drive Angry, but to say that is a good movie would be an insult to Cyborg...

Does 3D improve a well written super hero movie like The Avengers? Does it improve the weaknesses of bad ones like Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance? My answer is no in both cases.

I'm a movie and tech geek, so I've always adopted technologies in the early stages. I had laserdisc in 1982 (Never wasted a dime on VHS or Beta); I literally had one of the first Dolby Digital receivers released back in the summer of 1995; I bought my first DVD player during the early launch in 1997; collected DVD-Audio/SACD and had both HD formats in early 2006.

I figure I'll end up getting a 3D TV when 4k sets are affordable, but it will be for the 4k upgrade, not 3D.

fitprod
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #33

Oct 2011

I wouldn't even be interested in movies like I am if it weren't for 3D. It definitely changes the movie going experience. Would have never seen The Avengers if it wasn't 3D. Having seen Avengers there is no way it would be as visually appealing in 2D as it is in 3D.

If there was no 3D I would probably only see the odd must see blockbuster(that appeals to me like Batman) recreationally every now and then at the cinemas. I would only buy the few all time Favorite films I love on DVD(that format is good enough). I wouldn't bother with a great home theatre set up.

Oh and I work with 3D as an artist and not a working stiff! Not that it should matter, working with something doesn't make one an authority on artistic value.

tigermoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
I said 3D re-releases not 3D releases. All of these 3D re-releases have also been released in 2D at the same time as the 3D re-release.

Last edited by tigermoth; 02-01-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #34
Special Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPixarMarvel View Post
How is it an insult its progress to the future all theaters now Adays offer stadium seating the Chinese theatre has to update themselves or get left behind. I'm sure in the future Disney will gradually update the el capitan theatre to stadium seating if they haven't already done so.
Have you been to either theater? I'm just curious.

Neither theater is designed to become a stadium theater, and shouldn't be. These are the old theaters that have survived during the transition to cookie cutter box theaters that often have worse presentations than the Chinese Theater or El Capitan. Disney and Mann (The original owner of the Chinese Theater) went through major expenses to preserve the theaters' original design, while updating their sound systems and projection equipment.

If they convert the Chinese Theater, which isn't guaranteed since there will be a hell of a fight locally by the old film industry and others since it's already a historical monument, most people in the area will never return. People go to the Chinese for it's history, classic design and atmosphere, in addition to it's high quality presentations.

fitprod
Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #35

Oct 2011

Quote:
Have you been to either theater? I'm just curious.

Neither theater is designed to become a stadium theater, and shouldn't be. These are the old theaters that have survived during the transition to cookie cutter box theaters that often have worse presentations than the Chinese Theater or El Capitan. Disney and Mann (The original owner of the Chinese Theater) went through major expenses to preserve the theaters' original design, while updating their sound systems and projection equipment.

If they convert the Chinese Theater, which isn't guaranteed since there will be a hell of a fight locally by the old film industry and others since it's already a historical monument, most people in the area will never return. People go to the Chinese for it's history, classic design and atmosphere, in addition to it's high quality presentations.

fitprod
They are just movies, people will still got to them if they update. The old film industry will eventually die and nobody will care. It's just a building, it's the movies that count.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
I work with 3D all the time and I get paid for it, but my primary issue with it? It doesn't enhance the experience for me. I've honestly yet to see a film that has needed it... Well, maybe Drive Angry, but to say that is a good movie would be an insult to Cyborg...

Does 3D improve a well written super hero movie like The Avengers? Does it improve the weaknesses of bad ones like Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance? My answer is no in both cases.

I'm a movie and tech geek, so I've always adopted technologies in the early stages. I had laserdisc in 1982 (Never wasted a dime on VHS or Beta); I literally had one of the first Dolby Digital receivers released back in the summer of 1995; I bought my first DVD player during the early launch in 1997; collected DVD-Audio/SACD and had both HD formats in early 2006.

I figure I'll end up getting a 3D TV when 4k sets are affordable, but it will be for the 4k upgrade, not 3D.

fitprod
Thanks for the info Fitprod. I can understand why a museum would want to preserve its original design for nostalgia and historical reference, regarding the debate about the Chinese Theater in CA. That is what makes the theater more like a museum to see a movie in, as Lucas and many others have seen since it was built many years ago.

The advantage to 3D vs 2D? It's an extension of three dimensional human sight, where both eyes combine two separate images to create dimension, instead of being flat as if only one eye was used: James Cameron, to paraphrase, about 2D vs 3D: "We're not cyclops with one eye".
If done right, Stereo 3D enhances the feeling of looking through a window and almost "Being there" in another world.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to the day they introduce fine tuned 3DTVs without the need for any glasses at an affordable price to support the growing 3D content.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies