Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
X-Men Collection (Blu-ray)
$60.58
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Rocky: Heavyweight Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.00
Hellsing Ultimate: Collection Volumes 5-8 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
It's a Wonderful Life (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #1

Dec 2010
USA
USA Sony's 2013 Bravia Lcd HDTV line-up

Sony's 2013 Bravia Lcd HDTV line-up

X900 V1 [ Size availability 84'' ] [ Resolution 2160p ]

X900 V2 [ Size availability 55''/65'' ] [ Resolution 2160p ]

W900 [ Size availability 55'' ] [ Resolution 1080p ]

W802 [ Size availability 47''/55'' ] [ Resolution 1080p ]

W650 [ Size availability 32'' ] [ Resolution 1080p ]

R550 [ Size availability 50''/60''/70'' ] [ Resolution 1080p ]

R450 [ Size availability 40'' ] [ Resolution 1080p ]

R400 [ Size availability 32'' ] [ Resolution 720p ]

Please DO NOT quote this post thank you.

Last edited by Caleb; 01-31-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #2

Dec 2010
USA

For more information please click the link below.

http://store.sony.com/c/S_TV_HAV_CES...V_HAV_CES_2013
Old 01-30-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

I am a big Sony supporter but I see nothing in their 2013 HDTV lineup that would make me want to upgrade and besides I just bought my HX750 back in September of last year and it's only 4 months old and kicking ass! I just would like to know when Sony decided to go passive 3D with some of their new sets? I mean Sony was a stricked Active 3D supporter and now they are useing Passive as well? To me I think their 2013 sets are a step back and I am sure the competition has taken notice. The only 2013 Sony tv I would be interested in is the 4K model but at the price they are asking for it there is no way I would spend that kind of money.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

Dec 2009

A few observations. The non detachable speakers on the 4K X900A will put off a lot of enthusiasts who already have top notch audio systems. Then again, this is a Sony trend dating back to at least the legendary XBR8. Otherwise, the "barely there" bezels of the rest of the lineup look like a page right out of Samsung's book. Additionally, LED edge lighting across the line will ruffle some feathers, but it appears that Sony has released its last LED full array backlit set in the HX950.

AJ
Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

Dec 2010
USA

The chunky R450 is full array but I doubt it has any local dimming.

I'm also not a fan of matte or anti glare coatings......I'm more of a glossy man.

Does anyone know if any of the models have a pure gloss finish like the Hx850 had?

If all of them are matte or have anti glare coatings I'm not that interested.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

<shakes head>

I swear I don't get some of Sony's decisions. Why on earth do they offer a 60+" on their top model but not on so many of the other models? Plus, NO full array backlit LED's?? PASSIVE 3D? Strange indeed!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 01-31-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength View Post
A few observations. The non detachable speakers on the 4K X900A will put off a lot of enthusiasts who already have top notch audio systems. Then again, this is a Sony trend dating back to at least the legendary XBR8. Otherwise, the "barely there" bezels of the rest of the lineup look like a page right out of Samsung's book. Additionally, LED edge lighting across the line will ruffle some feathers, but it appears that Sony has released its last LED full array backlit set in the HX950.

I agree on the full array LED backlit set comment, no full array for Sony for 2013? WTF?

AJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
The chunky R450 is full array but I doubt it has any local dimming.

I'm also not a fan of matte or anti glare coatings......I'm more of a glossy man.

Does anyone know if any of the models have a pure gloss finish like the Hx850 had?

If all of them are matte or have anti glare coatings I'm not that interested.
Nope Matte finish only on Sony's 2013 sets. I will take matte finsh over gloss because I dont like the glare you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
<shakes head>

I swear I don't get some of Sony's decisions. Why on earth do they offer a 60+" on their top model but not on so many of the other models? Plus, NO full array backlit LED's?? PASSIVE 3D? Strange indeed!
I have no clue whats going on with Sony or where their heads are at. But in my book their 2013 line of tv's and Blu ray players are a step back. Not a good sign for the future.
Xfinity HD.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 AM   #8

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Overall, the pq, technology and attached speakers left me feeling unimpressed when I viewed the 2013 line at Sony's CES exhibit.

I do very much like the HX950, but sadly it's been discontinued.

-Robert
VE Advanced a/v Technology Dealer
Old 01-31-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

The X900 is also available as 84"
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 01-31-2013, 06:09 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Overall, the pq, technology and attached speakers left me feeling unimpressed when I viewed the 2013 line at Sony's CES exhibit.

I do very much like the HX950, but sadly it's been discontinued.

-Robert
Hey Robert, based on what you have seen of the 2013 models what sets did you come away impressed with the most? Anything really surprise you? Anything make a significant leap over 2012 (besides 4K and OLED)?

And I like the 950 as well but no way in hell is that 65" worth 5,100.00! Sony is out of their minds! That is a 3,500.00-3,800.00 set at most (I'm speaking in relative terms based on the competition's similar models). It baffles me how Sony seems unable to bring out a high quality, REASONABLY priced LED TV in the larger sizes. I mean, 5K for an LED based TV? This isnt '2008 anymore. Yes I know the Sharp Elite is more and I think it's way overpriced as well. But it also has the advantage of carrying the "Elite" title which one would expect it to be expensive. Historically I have been a Sony supporter in TV's and other electronics but with crap like this they have priced me right out of their demographic. No wonder Samsung is kicking their ass!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Last edited by Steelmaker; 01-31-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:58 AM   #11

Dec 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoetMB View Post
The X900 is also available as 84"
Thanks for the reminder.......I have now updated the list to include both V1 and V2 of the X900.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM   #12

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Steelmaker, I'd like to wait till we receive production units to test in our lab before commenting further. We do an pre-evaluation of all high-end models to determine which ones make it into our Flat Panel Shootout event.

-Robert
VE Advanced a/v Technology Dealer
Old 02-01-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Hey Robert, based on what you have seen of the 2013 models what sets did you come away impressed with the most? Anything really surprise you? Anything make a significant leap over 2012 (besides 4K and OLED)?

And I like the 950 as well but no way in hell is that 65" worth 5,100.00! Sony is out of their minds! That is a 3,500.00-3,800.00 set at most (I'm speaking in relative terms based on the competition's similar models). It baffles me how Sony seems unable to bring out a high quality, REASONABLY priced LED TV in the larger sizes. I mean, 5K for an LED based TV? This isnt '2008 anymore. Yes I know the Sharp Elite is more and I think it's way overpriced as well. But it also has the advantage of carrying the "Elite" title which one would expect it to be expensive. Historically I have been a Sony supporter in TV's and other electronics but with crap like this they have priced me right out of their demographic. No wonder Samsung is kicking their ass!
All of the major Japanese manufacturers have been losing money in the TV business for years - they've been losing money on every single set they sell. Sony has even implied that they're getting out of the TV business, although in the end, I don't think that will happen.

I think they (and Panasonic and Sharp and others) are coming to the point where they'd rather sell fewer sets with a profit margin than sell more sets and lose money. It's not that the manufacturing of each unit costs a lot of money, but the plants to create displays cost $ billions in capital costs to set up. Like Apple, Sony has simply decided that they don't care about the bottom of the market. If you want cheap, buy a Chinese or Korean brand.

We've actually simply gotten used to underpriced electronics of all types, mostly due to both integration of electronics and cheap Chinese or Mexican labor. The fact that one can buy a Blu-ray player, with all the technology that's embedded into those devices (WiFi, content connection, upscaling, large variety of inputs and outputs, etc.) for the price of three decent pizzas or the fact that you can buy a recordable DVD drive for around $35 is actually completely absurd - hell, a tee shirt with a rock band logo costs that much. Back around 1984, I think I paid $450 for a 19" Sony CRT. That's $995 in 2012 dollars. Would you pay $995 for a 19" flat screen today?

I wouldn't pay $5100 for a TV either. But it doesn't mean it's not worth it - it just means I'm unwilling to pay it because TV isn't that important to me. Everyone draws their own line as to what's an absurd price. Some people have no problem spending $70,000 on a car or buying a $3000 suit or $300 shoes. Other people think WalMart is too expensive. Most people use themselves to determine what's "average" and think, regardless of what they earn, that anyone who earns less than them is "poor" and anyone who earns more is "rich".
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 02-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
All of the major Japanese manufacturers have been losing money in the TV business for years - they've been losing money on every single set they sell. Sony has even implied that they're getting out of the TV business, although in the end, I don't think that will happen.

I think they (and Panasonic and Sharp and others) are coming to the point where they'd rather sell fewer sets with a profit margin than sell more sets and lose money. It's not that the manufacturing of each unit costs a lot of money, but the plants to create displays cost $ billions in capital costs to set up. Like Apple, Sony has simply decided that they don't care about the bottom of the market. If you want cheap, buy a Chinese or Korean brand.

We've actually simply gotten used to underpriced electronics of all types, mostly due to both integration of electronics and cheap Chinese or Mexican labor. The fact that one can buy a Blu-ray player, with all the technology that's embedded into those devices (WiFi, content connection, upscaling, large variety of inputs and outputs, etc.) for the price of three decent pizzas or the fact that you can buy a recordable DVD drive for around $35 is actually completely absurd - hell, a tee shirt with a rock band logo costs that much. Back around 1984, I think I paid $450 for a 19" Sony CRT. That's $995 in 2012 dollars. Would you pay $995 for a 19" flat screen today?

I wouldn't pay $5100 for a TV either. But it doesn't mean it's not worth it - it just means I'm unwilling to pay it because TV isn't that important to me. Everyone draws their own line as to what's an absurd price. Some people have no problem spending $70,000 on a car or buying a $3000 suit or $300 shoes. Other people think WalMart is too expensive. Most people use themselves to determine what's "average" and think, regardless of what they earn, that anyone who earns less than them is "poor" and anyone who earns more is "rich".
eh, MAYBE, but SONY and the other Japanese brands have been loosing money due to the quake, and other cheaper competitors driving the prices down. the funny thin is besides Panasonic, the Japanese mfg's are being beaten by both price AND quality by the Koreans (chinese not so much of course). Like apple , sony is also a brand that waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over charges for mediocre performance. same with Bose and Monster.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:

Hey Zoet,

You certainly make some excellent points. However that's why I said that the 5,100.00 price tag is ridiculous in "relative terms based on similar models from competing companies." For example, Samsung's current top of the line model, the 65" UN8000, can be bought for around 3,400.00. Now, is the Sony model "better?" Perhaps but is it 1,700.00 better?!? No way! It's as if Sony doesn't understand the concept of cost versus diminishing returns on quality. Now some would argue "well then just buy the Samsung." Well historically I've been an advocate of Sony electronics and would like to continue to be, which was the reason for my post in the first place. However like I said, in the TV market Sony has priced me right out of their demographic. My current TV, the SXRD 60A2000, I bought in 2004 for 2,500.00 and at the time, it was one of the best TV Sony had on the market. Now in 2013 I have to pay DOUBLE that price to get their top of line set? No thank you! Brand loyalty can only go so far.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 02-02-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:

Well said Zoet and you made some very good points but it dont change my feelings that Sony have taken a step back with their 2013 line of tv's. To me it looks like they took the look of the Samsung tvs and incorperated into their designs and now they are incorperateing Passive 3D into their sets as well along with Active 3D....talk about confuseing to the consumer! Plus it opens up a whole can of worms into which is better Passive or Active 3D? Some have said Sony has slipped since 2011. I dont think so. I love their 2012 HDTV's and I think 2012 will be Sonys last good year of tv production. I think they are gonna take a hit in 2013 as will other manufacturers. I guess we shall see.
Xfinity HD.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #17

Dec 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
Nope Matte finish only on Sony's 2013 sets. I will take matte finsh over gloss because I dont like the glare you get.
Source?

You can't go by the pictures because one time I bought a glossy pc monitor
and when it arrived it was full matte.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
Source?

You can't go by the pictures because one time I bought a glossy pc monitor
and when it arrived it was full matte.
The source Caleb comes from Sony's customer support. I am just going by what they told me.
Xfinity HD.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #19

Dec 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
The source Caleb comes from Sony's customer support. I am just going by what they told me.
Looks like I'm going to go with one of the 2013 panasonic's then.

Full matte looks awful compared to full glossy. (Besides reflections)

Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Just got a HX850 for $700 off

Sparked it up, threw in Prometheus and was blown away at how good it looked. I was a bit leery having been a Plasma person, but I'm very happy with it.

About the only thing I don't like is there's some light bleed through on the bottom corners.
Modern
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-23FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs