Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Monsters University (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planes (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 01-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #141
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I'd go for a 2000....lower noise floor
Stay away from the xls 1000 for your main fronts. It's best to use the 1000 for sub amp duties due to the higher floor noise. According to crown if you want a high fidelity music experience go for the 2000 or 2500 = lower floor noise/ less hum or hiss at lower volumes

Last edited by v_squared123; 01-31-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #142

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_squared123 View Post
Stay away from the xls 1000 for your main fronts. It's best to use the 1000 for sub amp duties due to the higher floor noise. According to crown if you want a high fidelity music experience go for the 2000 or 2500 = lower floor noise/ less hum or hiss at lower volumes
+ 10,000
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC with Phonic Firefly 808 Universal Audio Interface, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #143
Power Member

Jan 2008

I didn't get a chance to calibrate tonight but I just want to let everyone know that the panamax 12 volt trigger worked perfectly. That's one issue solved, it now turns on every time I turn the receiver on.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
Martin Logan Theos & Motif X
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #144

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_squared123 View Post
According to the specs the 1500 has the same noise floor as the 2000 and 2500, 103dB S/N I believe? As opposed to 97 on the 1000. So I'd include the 1500 in that as well.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #145

Nov 2007
ewwwwtahhhh
Send a message via AIM to xanderville Send a message via Yahoo to xanderville Send a message via Skype™ to xanderville

Out of curiosity....Is any of you Crown XLS owners running the crossover mode on one speaker that has bi-amp connections. The crossover mode takes a single source and runs the low pass filter to channel one and the high pass filter to channel two.

I dont how effective this would be but I am kind of curious to see if anyone has tried this. It does look like some owners are bridging the amp but I have not read anyone using the crossover mode to 'bi-amp' a speaker (if this is even a good idea to try)

Thanks guys
Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 AM   #146

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderville View Post
Out of curiosity....Is any of you Crown XLS owners running the crossover mode on one speaker that has bi-amp connections. The crossover mode takes a single source and runs the low pass filter to channel one and the high pass filter to channel two.

I dont how effective this would be but I am kind of curious to see if anyone has tried this. It does look like some owners are bridging the amp but I have not read anyone using the crossover mode to 'bi-amp' a speaker (if this is even a good idea to try)

Thanks guys
It would be kind of pointless to use it on your conventional speaker that has 'bi-amp' capability since the speaker will still have it's own internal crossover, thus you would be crossing the signal in the amp and in the speaker. Not only redundant but depending on where you set the crossover in the amp, you could risk losing some of the audio spectrum while you're at it. The only way I see the 2 channel crossover mode being of any use is if you have a two way speaker with no internal crossover and need to power the tweeter and mid/woofer separately or maybe you drive a regular speaker with the high pass channel and a sub with the low pass channel. I would not recommend using this feature to "bi-amp" a speaker.

There is however a mono mode I think, in which both channels output the same input signal. This mode would be more appropriate for "bi-amping" a speaker, but honestly I never saw any benefit to bi-amping a speaker with an internal crossover and see it as a waste of a perfectly good channel.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Onkyo TX-NR818 Amps: Crown XLS 1500 (Mains), Dayton Audio SA230 (Sub) Display: BenQ W1070 on Elite Screens Silver Frame series 84" Front L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 70's Center Speaker: Polk Audio CS2 Rear L/R Speakers: Polk Audio Monitor 30's Sub: 1 DIY 12 Inch Sealed sub Blu-Ray/Gaming/Music/TV: Custom built desktop computer
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #147
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
According to the specs the 1500 has the same noise floor as the 2000 and 2500, 103dB S/N I believe? As opposed to 97 on the 1000. So I'd include the 1500 in that as well.
+1
Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #148
Power Member

Jan 2008

Ok so I finally had the chance to play around with the settings and I'm having an issue with the gain. When I run auto calib the only way I can have the ch levels not set at +10 (max setting) is by having the gain at the 2:30 3 o'clock position. Any thoughts? I feel like these settings are way to high on both the receiver and the amp.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 02-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #149
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Ok so I finally had the chance to play around with the settings and I'm having an issue with the gain. When I run auto calib the only way I can have the ch levels not set at +10 (max setting) is by having the gain at the 2:30 3 o'clock position. Any thoughts? I feel like these settings are way to high on both the receiver and the amp.
I will add that there is no humm or hiss with these settings but I don't want to be running hot.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 02-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #150
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
When you have the gain on your amp at that position, how does your calibration
set them?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #151
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
When you have the gain on your amp at that position, how does your calibration
set them?
Around + 8/8.5. If I set the gain any lower it goes to the max
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #152
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Around + 8/8.5. If I set the gain any lower it goes to the max
While I have no experience with pro gear in the home environment, that does sound off a bit. Did you try the gain at max?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #153
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
While I have no experience with pro gear in the home environment, that does sound off a bit. Did you try the gain at max?
No, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I've read that if the gain is to high it can make the sound harsh.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #154
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
No, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing. I've read that if the gain is to high it can make the sound harsh.
I wouldn't know, but what seems to be happening is that your receiver is not sending a powerful enough signal to the amp. You might want to check what voltage the amp requires and what voltage your avr is putting out. I'm sure users of this amp will respond with their experience but for me that seems to be the problem.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #155

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
Don't worry about setting the gain to max, that's what I have to do. It won't affect the sound at all. Unless you're using balanced connections or have pre-outs giving you like 2 Vrms output then you're most likely going to have to max the gain.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Old 02-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #156
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Don't worry about setting the gain to max, that's what I have to do. It won't affect the sound at all. Unless you're using balanced connections or have pre-outs giving you like 2 Vrms output then you're most likely going to have to max the gain.
But that's really not ideal as your basically eliminating your headroom. I see that on Crown's site they ask for 1.4 Vrms input. If your Pio isn't giving this you'll have to max it out but the end result will not be optimal. Try and contact Pio about it (you do have to realize that preouts on receivers are closer to an after thought than on a pre-pro)

If your Pio is giving out let's say 0.75 Vrms than you are underdriving your amp. If this is the case you can still use it but you would need a bump up stage to bring it to the desired Vrms needed.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #157

Dec 2011
Kentucky

Quote:
But that's really not ideal as your basically eliminating your headroom. I see that on Crown's site they ask for 1.4 Vrms input. If your Pio isn't giving this you'll have to max it out but the end result will not be optimal. Try and contact Pio about it (you do have to realize that preouts on receivers are closer to an after thought than on a pre-pro)

If your Pio is giving out let's say 0.75 Vrms than you are underdriving your amp. If this is the case you can still use it but you would need a bump up stage to bring it to the desired Vrms needed.
Eh, I don't think it affects the headroom at all. Think of the Emotiva amps that are locked at max gain of +32dB (I think that what it is?). It's just like doing that. I used to drive my Crown with a CleanBox in the signal path adding that extra gain and letting me set the amp gain about half way, but it actually sounds a lot better with the CleanBox removed and the gain at max. Like I've said before I can crank my music up to 0dB without a hiccup. I say max the gain and let the calibration do it's thing. It's not like it will hurt anything to at least give it a try and see if you think it has a negative affect. Cembros also mentioned something about worrying it will get hot with the gain at max. Again, my gain is maxed and I've yet to ever get this thing to show any signs of heat.
My Current Setup:
Receiver:
Old 02-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #158
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Eh, I don't think it affects the headroom at all. Think of the Emotiva amps that are locked at max gain of +32dB (I think that what it is?). It's just like doing that. I used to drive my Crown with a CleanBox in the signal path adding that extra gain and letting me set the amp gain about half way, but it actually sounds a lot better with the CleanBox removed and the gain at max. Like I've said before I can crank my music up to 0dB without a hiccup. I say max the gain and let the calibration do it's thing. It's not like it will hurt anything to at least give it a try and see if you think it has a negative affect. Cembros also mentioned something about worrying it will get hot with the gain at max. Again, my gain is maxed and I've yet to ever get this thing to show any signs of heat.
I agree that maxing it out is not a problem, many if not most higher end pro amps don't have gain controls anyways. But I still believe it should perform better with the appropriate input gain.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #159
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:

I've read mixed things regarding the output of the Pioneer, some say (with confirmation from pio reps) that output is rated sufficiently and others say they need a signal booster. I plan on buying a pre pro this yr and using balanced inputs so I'm not looking to buy an additional device. I may just leave the settings as they are and revisit the issue when the Logans arrive.
Pioneer PRO-111FD
Pioneer SC-05
Two Crown XLS-2500's
Sony BDP-790
LSI7's, Dual HRS12's
PS3 80g
Panamax M5100-PM
Old 02-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #160
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I've read mixed things regarding the output of the Pioneer, some say (with confirmation from pio reps) that output is rated sufficiently and others say they need a signal booster. I plan on buying a pre pro this yr and using balanced inputs so I'm not looking to buy an additional device. I may just leave the settings as they are and revisit the issue when the Logans arrive.
Well then, max out your amp (no danger as it will only give what's asked for) and when you do get the pre-pro, you'll be in audio heaven.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems