COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Vincent Price Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.49
Saw: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
In the Mouth of Madness (Blu-ray)
$9.49
The Haunting (Blu-ray)
$9.49
Prisoners (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
$64.96
Leprechaun: The Complete Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.49
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.49
A Nightmare on Elm Street Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Terror Train (Blu-ray)
$12.49
Maleficent (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
American Horror Story: Coven (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics

Old 01-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Seattle
Default Post Your Original Comic Art/Sketches/Commissions

Do you think there is enough demand here for a thread featuring the original comic book artwork that people have purchased from artists, etc and commissioned sketches they have gotten at conventions from comic book artists? Was thinking if so it would be cool to see what others may have. I am a big fan of The Crow so I have a bunch of original sketches from creator James O' Barr and a number of other comic professionals, and will start adding to my Batman commissions soon as well.
K5
Old 01-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
The Sewer

Posted in the comic thread but here's all that I have, all but the first have been purchased through Kevin Eastman's studio.

Blue Lines:

Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Seattle
Default The Crow

Here are my original sketches from creator James O' Barr and various other comic book professionals I have had commissioned throughout the years. The first three are stand alone sketches, the fourth appeared in the front of The Crow hardbound journal that James O' Barr was offering directly. It featured full-size blank pages to write in or draw, so I decided back in 2006 when I got it to have James do the first sketch (image #4 below), followed by other comic book professional artists' interpretations of the character, many of whom are friends of mine. Throughout the years I plan on adding to my collection until I fill up the journal.

James O' Barr:

James O' Barr:

James O' Barr:

James O' Barr:

Aaron Lopresti:

Bernard Chang:

Bill Sienkiewicz:

Clayton Crain:

David Mack:

Ethan Van Sciver:

Joseph Michael Linsner:

Ken Steacy:

Michael Golden:

Mike Grell:

Paul Chadwick:

Simon Bisley:

Terry Moore:

Timothy Bradstreet:

Tony Daniel:

Tony Moore:
K5

Last edited by Kinsella5; 01-10-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Seattle
Default Batman

Here is my first Batman piece, a standalone commission done by Tony Harris back in 2009 followed by a sketch of The Joker by Timothy Bradstreet. I recently picked up a nice sketch book that was released about the same time as Dark Knight Rises was in theaters, so my plan is to have Batman-related sketches done over time in it. You can find this on Barnes & Noble here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/home...=9781423818632

Tony Harris:

Timothy Bradstreet:
K5

Last edited by Kinsella5; 01-28-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #5

Dec 2010
California

Here is my most prized possession - An original piece by Green Lantern creator Martin Nodell. It was a birthday gift to myself!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #6

Aug 2012
chased away

Kinsella5, AWESOME collection of Crow pieces!

Here are some of mine. I"m a GRENDEL fanatic so I'll post a few from that part of my collection:

An unused page from Grendel: Black, White & Red from David Mack

From Grendel creator Matt Wagner:

This is Detective Wiggins, one of Grendel's main enemies, by Hannibal King:

One of two cover mock-ups that I've got from John K. Snyder:

One of my all-time favorites that I own! This is Jill Thompson doing lil' Delirium from the Endless meeting lil' Grendel:

Will definitely post more soon! Great thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2608_54073074023_7354082_n.jpg (52.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 2662_54892884023_7035566_n.jpg (38.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 2608_54072999023_4454591_n.jpg (44.9 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg 270364_10150232430344024_5675014_n.jpg (83.2 KB, 177 views)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. Lombardi View Post
Kinsella5, AWESOME collection of Crow pieces!

Here are some of mine. I"m a GRENDEL fanatic so I'll post a few from that part of my collection:
Thanks JD, nice pieces you have too. I actually know David Mack and Matt Wagner, have met them several times, very nice guys and good to their fans for sure. The way David does sketches is interesting, particularly how he holds the pen in his hand.

I am slowly working on a charity project whereas I will be offering original pieces of art on the covers of some blank comic books, as you know they offer various retailer exclusive blank cover variants from time to time and I had picked up a bunch of the Incredible Hulk #1 and a few other blank variants and then have had various artist friends of mine who are professionals in the comic industry to do their interpretation of a character such as Hulk, or another Avenger character. When I have them all back in my possession I will offer via eBay with all the proceeds to go to help a relative with a rather rare condition. I am hoping to have about 15 total pieces and when the times comes, will find out from a moderator if I can promote it here on the site to alert the comic fans.
K5
Old 01-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Bad.Ass.Thread.

Those Crow B&Ws are sublime!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by awongus View Post
Bad.Ass.Thread.

Those Crow B&Ws are sublime!
Thanks, yeah after seeing a comic book thread here on the site, and that it seemed more people were posting in it, I thought it would be cool to have a thread where people here could post their original artwork they have obtained or commissioned sketches they have gotten from comic professionals over the years.
K5
Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
Expert Member

Oct 2009

^ I went to a convention a few years ago where I met a guy who does black and white pencil sketches of various superheroes/villains. These sketches were absolutely INSANE. U would not believe they were done with just a #2 lead pencil!

To this day, I'm STILL kicking myself that I didn't buy his Silver Surfer portrait. I may just bite the bullet and do it. I'll see if I still have his business card with his website info, and post it here if I do.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #11

Aug 2012
chased away

Quote:
Originally Posted by awongus View Post
^ I went to a convention a few years ago where I met a guy who does black and white pencil sketches of various superheroes/villains. These sketches were absolutely INSANE. U would not believe they were done with just a #2 lead pencil!

To this day, I'm STILL kicking myself that I didn't buy his Silver Surfer portrait. I may just bite the bullet and do it. I'll see if I still have his business card with his website info, and post it here if I do.
I'd have to think you were talking about Corey Smith. The guy is unbelievable and he is always at cons. I wish his website was better because there isn't really anything on it but maquettes and only a handful of his incredible pencils.

I know the Surfer image...looks like his body is all reflective right? Even though it is just pencils? He does awesome Universal Monsters, which my wife collects. Dude is flat out brilliant.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Expert Member

Oct 2009

Quote:
I'd have to think you were talking about Corey Smith. The guy is unbelievable and he is always at cons. I wish his website was better because there isn't really anything on it but maquettes and only a handful of his incredible pencils.

I know the Surfer image...looks like his body is all reflective right? Even though it is just pencils? He does awesome Universal Monsters, which my wife collects. Dude is flat out brilliant.
I think that's him! I can't believe he's not working on SOMEBODY's book. I mean, the dude can flat out DRAW!

The Surfer image I'm referring to is just as u describe, simply jaw-dropping. It's the best B&W Surfer image I've ever seen...and I've seen a LOT.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #13

Apr 2010

Edit - trying again down the thread.
PSN: Pojokwando (CST)
Blurays: 190
PS3 Games: 149

Currently Boosting:
[Show spoiler]Red Dead Redemption (including all DLC), DJ Hero 2, any Rock Band / Guitar Hero multiplayer. and willing to help out on any of the games in my collection - let me know!

Last edited by igotnogame; 02-02-2013 at 05:10 AM. Reason: bad image links
Old 02-02-2013, 03:06 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotnogame View Post
Now, this is a thread I can post some stuff to. Been collecting original art since 1992. Images are kind of big, so using spoiler tags.

I'll post some of my collection. If there's interest, I can post more.

Jay Anacleto - unpublished Red Sonja Cover (all pencils, no inks, incredible detail)
[Show spoiler]

Dave McKean - Sandman commission
[Show spoiler]

Dave McKean - Delerium commission
[Show spoiler]

Rob Liefeld - Captain America #3 cover
[Show spoiler]

Sam Kieth - Sandman issue 4, page 19
[Show spoiler]

Sam Kieth - Sandman issue 4, page 20
[Show spoiler]

Sam Kieth - Sandman issue 5, page 24
[Show spoiler]

Sam Kieth - Sandman issue 5, page 25
[Show spoiler]

Kelley Jones - Sandman issue 24, pg 14
[Show spoiler]

Ron Lim - Fantastic Four issue 12, page 4
[Show spoiler]

Kirk Van Wormer - Devil's Reign - Issue 1/2, pages 12 and 13 (Silver Surfer DPS)
[Show spoiler]

And for the OP, here's a 11x17 James O'Barr commission I got from him at SDCC in 1998.
[Show spoiler]

Enjoy!
Your spoiler links aren't working, I clicked a few and saw nothing. You may want to try uploading through Tinypic.com, but when you do, you can edit their size and select "Message Board". Thanks for posting though, I am sure a lot of people want to see your stuff.
K5
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #15

Apr 2010

Trying again. Sorry about that!

Jay Anacleto - unpublished Red Sonja Cover (all pencils, no inks, incredible detail)
[Show spoiler]

Dave McKean - Sandman commission
[Show spoiler]

Dave McKean - Delerium commission
[Show spoiler]

Rob Liefeld - Captain America #3 cover
[Show spoiler]

Sam Kieth - Sandman issue 4, page 19
[Show spoiler]

Sam Kieth - Sandman issue 4, page 20
[Show spoiler]

Sam Kieth - Sandman issue 5, page 24
[Show spoiler]

Sam Kieth - Sandman issue 5, page 25
[Show spoiler]

Kelley Jones - Sandman issue 24, pg 14
[Show spoiler]

Ron Lim - Fantastic Four issue 12, page 4
[Show spoiler]

Kirk Van Wormer - Devil's Reign - Issue 1/2, pages 12 and 13 (Silver Surfer DPS)
[Show spoiler]

And for the OP, here's a 11x17 James O'Barr commission I got from him at SDCC in 1998.
[Show spoiler]

Hopefully these work better.

Currently Boosting:
[Show spoiler]Red Dead Redemption (including all DLC), DJ Hero 2, any Rock Band / Guitar Hero multiplayer. and willing to help out on any of the games in my collection - let me know!
Old 02-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

I've seriously contemplated going after some of Alex Ross's original art for Kingdom Come, but the prices are very high. His stuff commands a severe premium on the market.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #17

Aug 2012
chased away

Fantastic stuff, igotnogame! Much of that stuff had to be a pretty penny and I especially love the Delirium commission.

I'm on my way to a Super Bowl party but thought I'd post a few more before I head out:

Death of the Endless by my buddy Stuart Sayger

"Sand & Stars" commission from Guy Davis:

Stargirl from Leonard Kirk:

Transmet's Spider Jerusalem by Darick Robertson:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sayger01.jpg (73.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg guydavis01.jpg (101.2 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg Kirk01.jpg (34.6 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Robertson01.jpg (67.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
I've seriously contemplated going after some of Alex Ross's original art for Kingdom Come, but the prices are very high. His stuff commands a severe premium on the market.
Yes it does....a very severe premium, but an amazing artist he is. If any of you guys are close to Seattle, you should venture forth to the Emerald City Comic Con here, March 1-3, lots of comic artists (and writers) will be there.
K5
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #19

Apr 2010

Quote:
Fantastic stuff, igotnogame! Much of that stuff had to be a pretty penny and I especially love the Delirium commission.
Thanks! I got most of my stuff in the early / mid 90s, so it was definitely more affordable than what things are going for today. I consider myself very lucky to have what I have.

If I remember right, the Delerium ran me $300 back in 1998. Think he's getting around $1200 - $1500 for them now when he attends San Diego (assuming you can even get on the list).

Good luck with your quest for some Alex Ross work. He definitely does some amazing pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5 View Post
Yes it does....a very severe premium, but an amazing artist he is. If any of you guys are close to Seattle, you should venture forth to the Emerald City Comic Con here, March 1-3, lots of comic artists (and writers) will be there.
Yeah, the ECCC lineup is pretty sweet this year. There's several people I'd love to see there. Too bad I moved away a few years ago. :P

I'll try to post some more this week.

Later.

Currently Boosting:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Silverlake, Los Angeles, CA

Quote:

Holy crap, am I jealous of this! I loved Grendel as a kid and started reading with the Christine Spar Comico issues.

The only other thing I've seen that I'd want more is penciled cover of The Uncanny X-Men #225, the first issue that began my collecting of the title for a number of years. I saw online where a guy owned that one.
My Criterion Collection

Please help me acquire these Scream Factory slips (in Mint condition):
Cockneys Vs. Zombies,
Sleepaway Camp, Cat People, Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1 Slipbox, The Howling, Phantasm II, The Fog, Prince Of Darkness
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Comics