Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Fairy Tail: Part 13 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
White Christmas (Blu-ray)
$14.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #941
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
UK

Great review here John:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/oppo-...1212052427.htm

Last edited by tele1962; 02-02-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #942
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Its a great review, yes, with intricate amount of details, but check my OP, its listed already.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #943
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Its a great review, yes, with intricate amount of details, but check my OP, its listed already.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #944
Special Member

Sep 2009

Oppo 105EU review - High Fidelity - Wojciech Pacuła - February 2013

Quite a involved review, opinion about industry trends, discussing different audio standards, translated into English by Andrzej Dziadowiec.

Quote:
Multi-format audio players have been with us for quite some time. They are now offered by virtually all manufacturers. The audio market, however, primarily approves of manufacturers of audiophile, high-end devices, such as Cambridge Audio, Arcam, Yamaha, Marantz or Denon. The manufacturer that sells most such devices, however, does not come from this circle. The company is registered in the United States and is called Oppo Digital Inc. Its products are often heavily modified by other, specialized audio companies, such as ModWright (see HERE), but Oppo is also well known for the fact that the components for its devices are developed in parallel with those for other manufacturers which slightly (if at all) modify the firmware, change power supply or audio outputs, leaving the main modules untouched. As an example we may quote Lexicon with the infamous BD-30 (see HERE) or Cambridge Audio with – this time respectable – the Azur 751BD (see HERE). As I wrote once before, the company that offers the whole platform is called Winbase Electronics Corp. Ltd.
Oppo has an advantage, however, that other specialized manufacturers seem to lack – it reacts incredibly quickly to changing market trends and is often the first to adapt technological innovations. An example of such a step is the latest top player from the company, the BDP-105EU.

Last edited by JohnAV; 02-03-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 AM   #945

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

I've had my 103 almost a week now and I'm loving it. It's replacing a Samsung 5700 so even though the bar wasn't set too high, it's really an over achiever. I was also looking at Sony's 790, but the 2 things that won me over were customer service and build quality. If I had to describe the 103 in a word, that would be "detail"...in the build quality, packing it for shipping, picture, audio...Had a small problem last evening with my Yamaha AVR wanting to not produce any sound on start up, then not wanting to shut down when asked...found a link online (gotta love the 'net) that told me to shut down the HDMI control at the receiver and that solved things. Hooks up to network with my home pc and my Galaxy 3 phone with ease. I am a BD concert collector, but received my first 2 SACDs yesterday to start collecting them as well. Tommy and Brothers In Arms sound fantastic on the Oppo. My system turns on together (harmony remote) and wish I had more control over the screen saver to do a "forced" start on command with the Oppo for SACD playing. There is enough movement on the SACD screen so the saver will not come on, and I really don't want to leave things on too long on my plasma display. So if shutting off my tv when playing SACDs is my biggest gripe...well, what's that tell you about this player? So far, I'd consider this one of the best electronic purchases I've made in the last 10 years.
"Drawn like moths we drift into the city"
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #946

Sep 2010
Twin Cities

Im glad you like yours, i like mine alot, just got one problem, when i watch a DVD Movie, sometimes i get a strange sound, it doesnt happen all the time.
HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
Old 02-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #947

Sep 2010
Twin Cities

Also did you try to use the pure mode on the remote?
HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
Old 02-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #948
Special Member

Sep 2009

Something Special: Oppo Digital BDP-103 Blu-ray Player - SoundStage Network - Wes Marshall - February 2013

Quote:
Still, you’ll occasionally hear this gripe: “Over at [other places where such things are reviewed], they say I should buy the Panasonic DMP-BDT220, and it’s less than $100! Why should I spend five times that much?” These are folks who’ve never owned an Oppo. Once you have owned an Oppo and experienced its flawless accuracy, owning and using one will make you feel you’ve done yourself a favor. And once you’ve called Oppo’s technical support line to ask for help, you’ll find out that the quality of the people at the other end of the line speaks volumes about the company’s core values. For example: When a customer needs help, you help them. Period. You will never hear, “We can’t help you. It must be the fault of your receiver.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #949

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Something Special: Oppo Digital BDP-103 Blu-ray Player - SoundStage Network - Wes Marshall - February 2013
Great review, who knew I now have a BMW in my HT room? I agree with the logic behind his statement though. Another thing the 103 does well for me, I'm able to run my BlackBerry Playbook's 1080 signal into the front HDMI port. Now I have a 60" computer screen and great sound to go with it. Spent an evening last week playing music videos from Vevo and it worked SO well.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #950

Oct 2011
Winnipeg, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshjp View Post
Also did you try to use the pure mode on the remote?
Hey thanks for the tip Josh! Pure Audio works great at blanking out the tv screen. Info on the Oppo disappears as well but is easy to get back. A great way to stick in an SACD and just let it play sans screen, thanks again...
Old 02-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #951

Sep 2010
Twin Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Red View Post
Hey thanks for the tip Josh! Pure Audio works great at blanking out the tv screen. Info on the Oppo disappears as well but is easy to get back. A great way to stick in an SACD and just let it play sans screen, thanks again...
Hey no problem, im glad to help
HT~
2.1CH~
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #952
Special Member

Sep 2009

Oppo BDP-105 Audiophile Universal Blu-ray Player - Audioholics - Gene DellaSala - February 3, 2013

Quote:
Conclusion
Oppo provBDP-105-Front.jpged that they could build the ultimate audiophile and videophile Universal Blu-ray player for a fraction of the cost of so many so called “high end” manufacturers. Oppo made enough minor improvements in features and performance over the BDP-93 and BDP-95 units to justify the creation of these new models. From the BDP-105’s impeccable benchmark performance to its excellent build quality and usability, this player leaves you wanting nothing. The BDP-105 not only raises your expectations of what all Blu-ray players should be like, but it also elevates what you’d expect from a high end transport costing thousands more. If your primary usage of this player is for digital multi-channel audio, then I’d suggest its cheaper sibling the BDP-103. However if you are fully intent on building a two-channel and multi-channel system of equal measure, I simply can’t make a higher recommendation than the super duper BDP-105 Blu-ray dream machine. Until Oppo builds a real world Star Trek holodeck, you will be hard pressed to better your A/V experience with any other source device. Live long and prosper and long live Oppo!
Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #953
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.

It has been well over a month for me.

The honeymoon phase just doesn't seem to want to end.

My oppo is on almost all day and most of the night.

ZERO hangups. I'm in love.

~LD
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #954

Jun 2012
Sun City, California

Can someone save me from having to read hundreds of post!!?? What's the best place to order the mod kit to make my Oppo 103 a region free player? What's the cheapest one anyone has found?
Projectors: 35mm Kinoton PK60D/Epson 5010
Lamphouse: Strong Super LumeX 2000 watt xenon
Processors: Dolby CP-650
Amps: QSC's, Smart and EV
Speakers: JBL 3678's L-C-R (3), JBL 4645C's SUBS (2) JBL 8330's SURROUNDS (4)
Screen: Harkness 3D Silver, 11x5 feet, mini-perf
Monitor: Kelmar -MS-100
Oppo 103 BD Player
Old 02-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #955

Feb 2009

I've had my BDP-103 for about 3 months now and like it for the most part. It does have one very aggravating issue, though. In roughly one in twenty movies, the menu fails to load. It will go through all of the previews/FBI warnings, but when it gets to the main menu screen, it will play the background video, but not load anything else. I'm talking about the whole main menu failing to load; no play button, no language option, no special features list. To fix it, I have to press stop and try it again. For something that cost $500, this is very disappointing. I have to wait through 2 minutes of mandatory stuff I don't want to see again. The firmware is up to date. Have anyone else had similar issues?
Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #956
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugalaman View Post
I've had my BDP-103 for about 3 months now and like it for the most part. It does have one very aggravating issue, though. In roughly one in twenty movies, the menu fails to load. It will go through all of the previews/FBI warnings, but when it gets to the main menu screen, it will play the background video, but not load anything else. I'm talking about the whole main menu failing to load; no play button, no language option, no special features list. To fix it, I have to press stop and try it again. For something that cost $500, this is very disappointing. I have to wait through 2 minutes of mandatory stuff I don't want to see again. The firmware is up to date. Have anyone else had similar issues?
If this recurs with a particular title, I would let Oppo know about that. If is a occasional issue that sometimes crops up, it might be either BD-Live or a BD-Java issue.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #957

Dec 2012

Quote:
If this recurs with a particular title, I would let Oppo know about that. If is a occasional issue that sometimes crops up, it might be either BD-Live or a BD-Java issue.
This has happened to me, too, once on the WOW Disney disc, another time on The Departed.
Both times, doing a OPPO reset to original settings fixed things.
What I had changed, that made either of this mess up, I have not figured out.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #958

Sep 2009
Chicago, IL

The no menu pop up issue happened to me too but only started after the recent update. I did not reset the settings afterwards and should have. Now everything works fine after the reset. Only issue I came across is the quality on the Netflix movies would constantly fluctuate but not on my Boxee which are both connected to the same router.
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 Plasma TV
Blue Jeans Cables
Definitive Technology 2x BP7002, CLR 2500, 2x BPX Speakers
Marantz SR6006
Boxee Box, Sony PS3, PS4, Wii U, SurgeX Protection
Oppo BDP-103
JL Audio F212 Subwoofer
Old 02-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #959
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2008
Dantooine, I am on Dantooine.

My copy of Guns, Girls and Gambling would load okay and then play but not have the ability to use the pop up menu and then it just kinda fixed itself

My oppo actually wrote me an apology letter. I was impressed
Old 02-07-2013, 04:33 AM   #960
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
O H I O Steelbooks™: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Diamond View Post
My copy of Guns, Girls and Gambling would load okay and then play but not have the ability to use the pop up menu and then it just kinda fixed itself

My oppo actually wrote me an apology letter. I was impressed
Now that's customer service w/o the phone
Display Samsung LN52A650 / Remote Logitech Harmony One
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010 / HTPC nMediaPC 2000 (3TB)
Media DirecTV HR-22 / Oppo BDP-103 / Oppo DV-983H
Front Mirage OMD-28 / Center Mirage OMD-C2 / Surround Mirage OMD-5
Subwoofer Power Sound Audio XV15 (BASH) / Power Monster SS 5100 MKII
Cable AudioQuest Carbon Chocolate Cinnamon Forest Vodka / Emotiva X-Series
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders