Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hogan's Heroes: The Komplete Series, Kommandant's Kollection (DVD)
$34.99
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 (DVD)
$10.00
Dexter: The Eighth Season (DVD)
$15.00
The Wolf of Wall Street (DVD)
$10.00
Gravity (DVD)
$9.99
Dexter: The Complete Series Collection (DVD)
$109.99
12 Years a Slave (DVD)
$10.00
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (DVD)
$7.00
The Smurfs 2 (DVD)
$10.00
The Third The Girl With The Blue Eye: Volume 1: Encounter (DVD)
$14.15
The Pirate Fairy (DVD)
$13.00
Cinderella (DVD)
$13.00
Barbie: The Pearl Princess (DVD)
$7.00
The Midnight Horror Collection - Creepy Kids And Clowns (DVD)
$8.01
New Tricks: Season 10 (DVD)
$21.99
Man of Steel (DVD)
$7.00
Backdraft (DVD)
$6.96
Any Which Way You Can (DVD)
$5.98
Peter Pan In Return to Never Land (DVD)
$12.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies

Old 01-26-2013, 04:30 PM   #221

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukraj View Post
i only buy the ones that are not on bluray,
That is my feeling too! Funny, I just noticed that digitalbits posted that Universal is re-releasing Stallone's 'Nighthawks', dvd only on 4/2/13. (???). The thing about this title is that it will finally get a widescreen release, even tho not HD.

The thing I dislike about the title that all addt'l releases (after Goodtimes circa 1999)is that they have a modified soundtrack. The disco scene featured two hits:

Brown Sugar (Stones), and I'm a Man (Keith Emerson). They were replaced with run of the mill tracks that (IMHO) are awful. But this is a fly in the ointment that probably won't bother many fans, but me, I'll hold onto my hard earned income if this gets the same callous treatment.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #222

Sep 2008

I am currently trying to acquire Martin (the Anchor Bay release, Romero composed the film in 4:3), Come and See, Dead Ringers (Criterion release), Man With a Movie Camera, the MST3k Gamera tin (and any other MST3k sets I don't have), Gummo, and probably some more.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #223
Special Member

Apr 2011

If HD-DVD counts, then yeah, I do.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #224

Feb 2010

I Have cut back on buying movies all together unless I really need them or they are on sale but yes I still buy DVDs. I grew up pretty poor using an crappy antenna sometimes holding it at a certain angle to watch shows, so DVD quality is perfectly adequate. Don't get me wrong, I definitely prefer BDs over DVD but if a dvd is on sale for like $2 and the bluray is $15 im buying the dvd and in the future if I upgrade the bd better be a cheap price since I already own the movie.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #225
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
If HD-DVD counts, then yeah, I do.
No, HD-DVD and DVD, are two different video formats. A HD-DVD wouldn't be considered as DVD.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #226
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Papua New Guinea

Yes I still buy DVDs. There are titiles that I may be interested in but don't feel that they require being hi def. If I see one on DVD for cheap I'll grab it.

Plus I occasionally buy movies for the non-profit I work with in Papua New Guinea. Few of the people there have blu-ray, so DVD would be the only choice for items for that collection.
Living Room HT (In Papua New Guinea) Toshiba 40-inch 1080p (40L2200U); Sony BDP-S590 player (BDP-S5100 region free shipped); Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 receiver; Sony SS-B1000 fronts (Polk Monitor 45B's shipped); Polk RM8 center (Polk Monitor 15C shipped); Pyle 3" mini cube surrounds (Polk T15's shipped); Harmony 650 remote

My Other Living Room HT (in storage in the States) Panasonic DMP-BDT220 player; Onkyo HT-S5600 (with a HT-R592 receiver, HTP-591 7.1 HT speaker system)
Old 02-02-2013, 02:21 AM   #227

Jun 2012
Chicago, IL

Hell yeah at pawn shops and shit. But no way am I paying more than $3.99 for a DVD, unless it's rare or a TV season.

I love paying $1.99 for awesome DVD's.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #228
Special Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
No, HD-DVD and DVD, are two different video formats. A HD-DVD wouldn't be considered as DVD.
I know that, but HD-DVD is the next level of DVD.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #229
Expert Member

Jul 2009
Virginia Beach

Nope. I don't buy DVDs at all. If the choice is DVD or nothing, I just don't buy the movie.
Sharp LC60LE835U 60" LED 3D TV with 7.1 Surround
Playstation 3 slim
Sony STR-DH820
Polk Audio 75t (Fronts)
Polk Audio Monitor70 series II (Right and Left surround)
Polk Audio CS20
Sony HZ970W (HTIB) fronts used as rears
Power Sound Audio XV-30
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #230
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

I only buy DVDs when I am buying them for someone else such as for their birthday, Mothers Day/Father's Day or Christmas but that is it. Occasionally I may see a movie/series that I think they may like and pick it up for them as a surprise.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #231
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

yup, bought some within the past week. depends on what it is. there are a lot of $5 dvd at walmart(ufo stuff) so i will buy those and movies if it is something i am slightly interested in but don't really want to spend a fortune on. But I am buying some things on bluray now(Doctor Who, Trek, Justified). funny thing is i have seasons 1 and 3 of True Blood on dvd but 2 on bluray - i meant to get them all on bluray but the dvd prices for season 1 and 3 were way cheaper than the blurays and i got a really good deal on season 2(pretty much got it for free) so that is why i got the bluray version. pretty much if it is a brand new release and i really like it, i get the bluray version of it.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #232

May 2010

I buy TV shows or documentaries I think are unlikely to be released on Blu-Ray. With movies I get the Blu-Ray if I want it enough to pay more for it or I find a good price. There are a few movies I don't have that I won't buy the DVDs of anytime soon because I'm waiting for the Blu-Rays. Of the DVDs I already have I only upgrade the favorites.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 AM   #233

Dec 2008
Las Vegas

I don't need every movie in Bluray. If it's not action or science fiction or adventure then bluray is not a must for comedy or drama and I don't care about horror movies. If they are $7.50 for a blu versus $5 for the DVD like at Walmart I'll get the Blu. But on my bluray player and the smart TV the quality is impressive enough.

For television the same. I will take most DVDs over the Blu because the cost difference isn't worth it. If the cost is within a few bucks either way... gotta go with the blue.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #234
Banned

Jun 2012

I do but only TV shows that are not released on Blu-ray
Old 02-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #235
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by love blu-ray View Post
i do but only tv shows that are not released on blu-ray
+ 1
Old 02-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #236

Oct 2012

I buy Godzilla titles not released on BD yet.
Also, I purchase the Jackie Chan 8 Film Collection all the time. It usually runs $4.99 at Best Buy. I give them away to friends and family because everyone should see and appreciate the genius of Jackie Chan.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #237

Feb 2008
SoCal

If you drive a Honda then go ahead and put low octane gas in it, there is no reason to use anything more. Also, go ahead and take it to the gas station mechanic...again, no harm, no foul.

But if you drive a Ferarri and fail to put in high octane, high quality gas, and take it to a qualified, certified Ferrari mechanic then your Ferrari should be taken away.

My point is that I would assume everyone on this forum owns a Ferrari (Blu-ray player) so why are you treating it like a Honda (DVD player)?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen a few valid reasons posted in this thread, giving them to a charity and thigns like that, but come on people. If you own a blu ray player, you should be feeding it what it wants!
Panasonic 58" Plasma | Panasonic BD Player
Onkyo Receiver | Polk Speakers

813 Blu's | 614 DVDs
Old 02-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #238
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

As a horror/cult fan, I have to still buy DVDs because so many films I like or want to see will most likely not be released on Blu Ray for quite some time, if ever.

In the last few weeks, I have purchased a lot of DVDs, including...

- 976-Evil
- Black Mama, White Mama
- Don't Deliver Us From Evil
- Get a Life: The Complete Series
- Hammer Horror Series (8 Hammer films released by Universal)
- Hammer House of Horror: The Complete Series
- Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II
- Horror Collection 1: 8 Movie Pack (including Slaughter High and Class of 1999)
- The Mummy (Hammer)
- Roger Corman's Cult Classics: The Nurses Collection
- Russ Meyer Collection (UK import - 19 films)
- The Sexy Killer (region 3 - Shaw Brothers ripoff of Coffy)
- Strangers With Candy - Season One
- The Swinging Cheerleaders
- Twisted Terror Collection (six horror films from Warner)
- Vincent Price Collection (6 films, including The Masque of the Red Death)

Last edited by PrestonXI; 02-24-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #239
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Teays Valley, WV

I only buy tv shows and wwe/wcw DVDs that didn't get a DVD release other than that I never buy DVDs although I did buy 8 heads in a duffle bag on DVD a few weeks back
YES Vanilla Sky is coming to blu
I WTB
LOTR trilogy ext. cut, Robocop trilogy, elm street collection, Chunky collection, Tremors attack pack
The omen collection, Cannibal Holocaust UK import with yellow case, One Hour Phone (with slip), Crystal Lake memories
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #240
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Dayton,Ohio

No
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies