COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Ong Bak Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Kick-Ass (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.00
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
NayNay NayNay is offline
Member
 
Sep 2012
Pennsylvania
92
4
Default A little home theater help?

Not sure if this is the right place to post or not
But I'm looking to invest in my first home theater.
And was wondering if anyone could suggest a good starting point?
Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Almadacr Almadacr is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Almadacr's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
400
4
9
Default

Budget !
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
bluthx bluthx is offline
Active Member
 
bluthx's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
central new york
611
945
1
Default

You need to consider:

1) rear projection or direct view?

2) home theater in a box (HTIB) or component sound system

These should get ya going to start with.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Ryan0503 Ryan0503 is offline
Senior Member
 
Ryan0503's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Fort Sam Houston, TX
13
345
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
Budget !
Yes ... what's your budget and what type of room are you working with (ie theater or dedicated space)
Epson 6030ub
Silver Ticket Screens (16:9 120in)
Denon AVR1912
Energy CF-50 7.1
Samsung BD-F5900
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
NayNay NayNay is offline
Member
 
Sep 2012
Pennsylvania
92
4
Default

My starting budgets around 500 just too get started. It's going to be set up in my living room. If it helps my tv 42 inch the rooms decent size too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Spicoli Spicoli is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Spicoli's Avatar
 
Sep 2010
East of Seattle
5
Default

If you already have The TV part your almost there. You can get a decent receiver on craigslist then try and get a deal on some bookshelves (new)then sub rears and center also local craigslist.

If you are patient you can get great sound for that dough.
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
bluthx bluthx is offline
Active Member
 
bluthx's Avatar
 
Apr 2010
central new york
611
945
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
If you already have The TV part your almost there. You can get a decent receiver on craigslist then try and get a deal on some bookshelves (new)then sub rears and center also local craigslist.

If you are patient you can get great sound for that dough.
100% AGREE. You'll be happier with seperate componants than "HTIB".
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Smigro Smigro is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Philadelphia suburbs
3
391
11
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
If you already have The TV part your almost there. You can get a decent receiver on craigslist then try and get a deal on some bookshelves (new)then sub rears and center also local craigslist.

If you are patient you can get great sound for that dough.
Very true. Newegg has some really good deals on speakers sets right now and finding a capable receiver locally should not be a problem.

You get a starter speaker set like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290066

and a receiver like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120195
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
NayNay NayNay is offline
Member
 
Sep 2012
Pennsylvania
92
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
Very true. Newegg has some really good deals on speakers sets right now and finding a capable receiver locally should not be a problem.

You get a starter speaker set like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290066

and a receiver like this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120195

Thank you!
I like that speaker set a lot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Ryan0503 Ryan0503 is offline
Senior Member
 
Ryan0503's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Fort Sam Houston, TX
13
345
1
Default

I would pick a good reciever and decide what spreakers you want ... the start with the towers and keep adding as you get the money till you get to a 5.1 system (at least) ...
Epson 6030ub
Silver Ticket Screens (16:9 120in)
Denon AVR1912
Energy CF-50 7.1
Samsung BD-F5900
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
Smigro Smigro is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Philadelphia suburbs
3
391
11
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0503 View Post
I would pick a good reciever and decide what spreakers you want ... the start with the towers and keep adding as you get the money till you get to a 5.1 system (at least) ...
That is always a route to explore as long as the person who is buying is patient and can live with adding on as the the funds come in. It is actually what I did to get my system where it is know.*

With that in mind, you could always look into this option. You would have to add a sub, center channel and surrounds when you have the extra money, but this would definitely sounds better than speaker set I linked earlier.*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120195

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290271
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Ryan0503 Ryan0503 is offline
Senior Member
 
Ryan0503's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Fort Sam Houston, TX
13
345
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
That is always a route to explore as long as the person who is buying is patient and can live with adding on as the the funds come in. It is actually what I did to get my system where it is know.*

With that in mind, you could always look into this option. You would have to add a sub, center channel and surrounds when you have the extra money, but this would definitely sounds better than speaker set I linked earlier.*

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120195

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290271
It definitely requires more patients but the pay off is worth it ... in the end your only buying one system ... I bought a cheaper system cuz my funds were limited and then a few years later bought another system ... it would have been more cost effective to just start buying pieces of the system I wanted in the first place lol
Epson 6030ub
Silver Ticket Screens (16:9 120in)
Denon AVR1912
Energy CF-50 7.1
Samsung BD-F5900
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Smigro Smigro is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Smigro's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
Philadelphia suburbs
3
391
11
11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan0503 View Post
It definitely requires more patients but the pay off is worth it ... in the end your only buying one system ... I bought a cheaper system cuz my funds were limited and then a few years later bought another system ... it would have been more cost effective to just start buying pieces of the system I wanted in the first place lol
That is exactly what did and finally said enough is enough. IMO the adding as funds are available will net you the best possible option.
Panasonic TC-P50G25 THX - Onkyo TX-NR1008 THX - Seiki SR212S region B - 120G PS3 slim - XBone - PS4 - eD[c]12 LCR - Rythmik FV15HP

My FS/trade thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
NayNay NayNay is offline
Member
 
Sep 2012
Pennsylvania
92
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smigro View Post
That is exactly what did and finally said enough is enough. IMO the adding as funds are available will net you the best possible option.
Yeah I was just going to jump in and buy a cheaper system, but I see the many benefits of buying in parts and building up to a great system. I think I'm patient enough to wait.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #15
Silo5 Silo5 is offline
Power Member
 
Feb 2008
-
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NayNay View Post
Yeah I was just going to jump in and buy a cheaper system, but I see the many benefits of buying in parts and building up to a great system. I think I'm patient enough to wait.
Excellent choice! I still have the Sony HTiB(stored away) I bought almost 10 yrs ago: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1jOtMwh...SA-VE445H.html. It was actually an upgrade from my old Bose system!. I've tried selling it at garage sales and still no takers! What does that tell you? Looking back, I wish this website would have been around to get the very advice you are now receiving.

Good luck in your endeavor and enjoy the ride!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #16
Ryan0503 Ryan0503 is offline
Senior Member
 
Ryan0503's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Fort Sam Houston, TX
13
345
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo5 View Post
Excellent choice! I still have the Sony HTiB(stored away) I bought almost 10 yrs ago: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1jOtMwh...SA-VE445H.html. It was actually an upgrade from my old Bose system!. I've tried selling it at garage sales and still no takers! What does that tell you? Looking back, I wish this website would have been around to get the very advice you are now receiving.

Good luck in your endeavor and enjoy the ride!!
I still have my Sony HTIB ... it was a great system for what it was ... it sounds good but once I heard a "real" home theater system ... there was no going back lol
Epson 6030ub
Silver Ticket Screens (16:9 120in)
Denon AVR1912
Energy CF-50 7.1
Samsung BD-F5900
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
nando820 nando820 is offline
Member
 
nando820's Avatar
 
Nov 2011
Seattle, WA
53
773
21
Default

Start with a standalone Onkyo receiver, they usually offer more bang for the buck and sound pretty good as well. I have one on my main movie room and I'm more than pleased

As for speakers slowly build your way up. Meanwhile you can even find some used legacy bookshelf speakers at thirst stores that will probably sounds better than small satellite speakers

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR616...o+receiver+7.1

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-426-HCS-W...s=jamo+speaker
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #18
JunkBoy JunkBoy is offline
Active Member
 
JunkBoy's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
San Diego
38
398
Default

I have a mix of rear and surround speakers on my 7.2 system and I want to get matching sets. I saw Big Daddy post about Home Theater Direct and the reviews I've read about them are very positive and the prices are pretty cheap. A little more than going HTIB but those level 2's look like a good starter set. I'm planning on getting either 4 of the level 2 surrounds but I really want the level 3's.

Definitely look through Craigslist! There's bargains to be had!
"Nothing compliments a great movie more...
than great sound."
>Sharp Aquos LC-70C8470U 3D HDTV, Pioneer Elite SC-07 AVR, OPPO BDP-103, 80GB PS3, 20GB Halo edition 360, Wii U, Scientific Atlantic 8300 HD DVR
>7.3 setup: Paradigm Studio CC-490 v.5 center, Paradigm Studio 20 v.4 fronts, HTD Level 2 surrounds, Bose 301 rears, 2x Atlantic Technology THX Certified 642eSB sub, 1x Atlantic Technology THX Certified 642SB sub
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #19
chrisjarvis chrisjarvis is offline
New Member
 
Feb 2013
Default Help?

I just purchased the Skyfall bluray/dvd/digital download package. My receiver, a Sony DG-720, shows all speakers operating when playing the bluray and DVD, but no sound is coming out of the center or the surround speakers. A speaker test shows all speakers operating properly. All other DVDs are working properly and providetrue 5.1 sound. The 5.1 sound on Skyfall works only when I stream the digital download using Apple TV. What's wrong with the discs? Why does it seem as though there are no surround sound tracks?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:11 PM.