Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Miami Vice: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Knight Rider: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Marx Brothers Silver Screen Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.27
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Captain America: Civil War 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Waxwork / Waxwork II: Lost in Time (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Flash: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Suicide Squad 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.95
The Legend of Tarzan 3D (Blu-ray)
$31.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #221
bmcelvan bmcelvan is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2012
Default Which Audio for Bluray Copy

Hi a question for you all - Copying Blurays to 25GB discs. Given the limited space issue, entire HD audio Blurays won't fit. So...with that said, would you keep a higher fidelity of video and copy a non HD audio (AC-3 or DTS) or keep the HD Audio and have a slightly less bitrate for the video.

Example: Movie with DTS-HD Master Audio: 29.636GB-->23.307GB (video bitrate re-encoded at 22227 kbps) whereas if I remove the HD Audio it's 27.233GB-->23.307GB with a video re-encode bitrate of (25025).

Another way of asking the question is what is the lowest video bitrate that you deem acceptable - is the HD Audio really that worth it or is AC-3 or DTS good enough as compared to the video improvements.

Lastly, sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this - can someone send me to the correct thread if necessary
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #222
ramicio ramicio is offline
Banned
 
Oct 2011
West Lawn, PA
Send a message via AIM to ramicio
Default

It's your project and it's up for you to decide what is acceptable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #223
bmcelvan bmcelvan is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2012
Default

If you personally watch (listen) to a bluray in DTS Master Audio then re-listen to the same scene or movie in DTS, can you really notice a HUGE difference. Or is it mainly some or the high highs are missing.

I have an okay A/V receiver and 5.1 channel speaker setup but plan on upgrading in the future...so I'm not sure I can do a proper test at this time since everything that I've read says that if you don't have a top end A/V system and especially speakers, the HD audio is rather meaningless anyway because you won't hear a difference. For movies that I'm backing up now, regular DTS is certainly fine given my system but I just wanted them to be "good" for when I upgrade next month/year or whenever it is.

thx
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #224
Captainhawk1 Captainhawk1 is offline
Active Member
 
Captainhawk1's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV
399
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcelvan View Post
Hi a question for you all - Copying Blurays to 25GB discs. Given the limited space issue, entire HD audio Blurays won't fit. So...with that said, would you keep a higher fidelity of video and copy a non HD audio (AC-3 or DTS) or keep the HD Audio and have a slightly less bitrate for the video.

Example: Movie with DTS-HD Master Audio: 29.636GB-->23.307GB (video bitrate re-encoded at 22227 kbps) whereas if I remove the HD Audio it's 27.233GB-->23.307GB with a video re-encode bitrate of (25025).

Another way of asking the question is what is the lowest video bitrate that you deem acceptable - is the HD Audio really that worth it or is AC-3 or DTS good enough as compared to the video improvements.

Lastly, sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this - can someone send me to the correct thread if necessary
It's only worth it if you have the equipment to support it. If you do, you can use one of the many pieces of software out there to shrink the content to fit on a SL BD-R. Since I assume you're talking about converting the main movie of a BD only, you won't lose any audio quality of the DTS-HD MA track and any video lost will be completely imperceptible. That's about at 80% so you'd be fine.

If you're talking about doing a straight-up clone of an entire disc, that seems kind of pointless unless the disc has a whole bunch of SF on it which at 29.636 seems unlikely.

Last edited by Captainhawk1; 02-05-2013 at 10:08 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #225
Captainhawk1 Captainhawk1 is offline
Active Member
 
Captainhawk1's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV
399
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcelvan View Post
If you personally watch (listen) to a bluray in DTS Master Audio then re-listen to the same scene or movie in DTS, can you really notice a HUGE difference. Or is it mainly some or the high highs are missing.

I have an okay A/V receiver and 5.1 channel speaker setup but plan on upgrading in the future...so I'm not sure I can do a proper test at this time since everything that I've read says that if you don't have a top end A/V system and especially speakers, the HD audio is rather meaningless anyway because you won't hear a difference. For movies that I'm backing up now, regular DTS is certainly fine given my system but I just wanted them to be "good" for when I upgrade next month/year or whenever it is.

thx
This isn't accurate. If you have the equipment to support it, you DEFINITELY will notice the difference and that's across the board., regardless of whether it's the same content. I can immediately tell when I have a DTS HD-MA/Dolby TrueHD track on my receiver as opposed to a standard 5.1 track without even looking at the receiver or the BD.

You say you have an "OK 5.1 channel receiver." What exactly does that mean? How old is it? Make/Model? Does it support the HD audio formats?

Last edited by Captainhawk1; 02-05-2013 at 09:41 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #226
bmcelvan bmcelvan is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2012
Default Thank you for the info Captain

Thanks for your input - Yes burning a BD-R single layer disc 25GB with main movie only. I just got my setup at costco a few months ago for what I perceived to be pretty cheap but am finding out I think was just a really good deal...Yamaha HTR-4065 (Which is the same thing as RX-V473) for around $279 and jbl cinema 500 5.1 speaker setup for $199.99. It fully supports the HD audio codecs and just about everything else I can think of.

So in your opinion, the lossless higher fidelity sound codecs sound much much better as compared to the lossy compressed versions to the point where they are a must have (when only using up an extra 1.5-3GB of space out of the 23.3GB) whereas the video only losing about 10-20% of bitrate won't be a noticeable factor at all?

One last question...is there a video bitrate you wouldn't go below? Say for example you have a long movie on a single disc, like The Return Of The King Disc 2 which is 139 minutes and 35.5GB (The DTS-HD Master audio is 4.9 GB whereas the AC-3/5.1 is only 470MB and the DTS is 1.56GB). That is a little more significant, the video will only be 60% of what it started with HD audio versus 75% of what it started with dolby digital (AC-3). Or is it still worth it to you anyway to have the best sound possible as the video on these discs are so good to begin with that you can compress them a lot?

(On a side note, even though DTS has a higher bitrate, any preference between AC-3 and DTS). I've been told Dolby's compression algorithm is just that much better so their 640kbps sound just as good as DTS 1.5Mbps).
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #227
bmcelvan bmcelvan is offline
Junior Member
 
Nov 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainhawk1 View Post
Just to make a point here: under normal circumstances is it even worth an argument? A BD normally has either a DTS HD-MA or a Dolby TrueHD track, not both. So there's no point of reference. The only way you could make qualitative judgment is if you were comparing the same source material. That's why asked about the Close Encounters BD because it's an oddity and you certainly can't proclaim one codec better than the other based on one BD.

Am I missing something, here?
On a PC can you decode either True-HD or DTMA to PCM and then reencode to the other and then compare any bluray soundtrack. Anyone have time and want to do this? There has to be encoding software out there. I have a 9 month old currently and therefore don't have enough time right now But apparently I have enough time to write these three post of late!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:31 AM   #228
Captainhawk1 Captainhawk1 is offline
Active Member
 
Captainhawk1's Avatar
 
Mar 2009
Las Vegas, NV
399
68
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcelvan View Post
Thanks for your input - Yes burning a BD-R single layer disc 25GB with main movie only. I just got my setup at costco a few months ago for what I perceived to be pretty cheap but am finding out I think was just a really good deal...Yamaha HTR-4065 (Which is the same thing as RX-V473) for around $279 and jbl cinema 500 5.1 speaker setup for $199.99. It fully supports the HD audio codecs and just about everything else I can think of.
Dumb question but you are using HDMI for both your video and audio, right?


Quote:
So in your opinion, the lossless higher fidelity sound codecs sound much much better as compared to the lossy compressed versions...
To the point where they give me a nerd-boner, they sound so good.

Quote:
to the point where they are a must have (when only using up an extra 1.5-3GB of space out of the 23.3GB) whereas the video only losing about 10-20% of bitrate won't be a noticeable factor at all?
I'm completely comfortable at 30% and I haven't been able to see a difference, however...

Quote:
One last question...is there a video bitrate you wouldn't go below? Say for example you have a long movie on a single disc, like The Return Of The King Disc 2 which is 139 minutes and 35.5GB (The DTS-HD Master audio is 4.9 GB whereas the AC-3/5.1 is only 470MB and the DTS is 1.56GB). That is a little more significant, the video will only be 60% of what it started with HD audio versus 75% of what it started with dolby digital (AC-3). Or is it still worth it to you anyway to have the best sound possible as the video on these discs are so good to begin with that you can compress them a lot?
...there, my friend is the million dollar question and why I keep a spool of cheap BD-R's handy so can experiment when it's iffy. It really depends on the source BD is the only honest answer I can give. Fer instance... I compressed the Star Wars Saga (all six films) down to a rate of between 65% and 68% and they looked great... couldn't tell the difference and neither could my cheap-ass cousin who I made them for. However, I banged out a Dr. Who Christmas Special BD at 80% and it was choppy.

Quote:
(On a side note, even though DTS has a higher bitrate, any preference between AC-3 and DTS). I've been told Dolby's compression algorithm is just that much better so their 640kbps sound just as good as DTS 1.5Mbps).
To me, compressed 5.1 sounds all the same and yes, I have tried to listen to the difference between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcelvan View Post
On a PC can you decode either True-HD or DTMA to PCM and then reencode to the other and then compare any bluray soundtrack. Anyone have time and want to do this? There has to be encoding software out there. I have a 9 month old currently and therefore don't have enough time right now But apparently I have enough time to write these three post of late!
That's a helluva interesting question but I will say that if you notice, a page back I asked a question about the quality difference between DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD because of the fact that Close Encounters of the Third Kind offers both and it was the first time I'd come across a BD that had both. That was last summer and I will tell you that I have since listened to both the Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and bounced between the two codecs and I can't really tell a difference and when I can I'm not sure if it's just because I'm listening for one or not.

Mind me asking, but what software are you using? Sounds like you're getting yourself into a lot of the technical nitty-gritty that I don't bother with much because mine just does it automatically. Feel free to PM me as we've kinda hijacked this thread talking about the best ways to copy commercial discs and I'm not sure how they feel about that around here if you know what I mean.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 AM   #229
benji888578 benji888578 is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2013
USA
193
26
15
1
12
Default

Great write up!

Any chance of OP adding Dolby Atmos? If I'm not mistaken, they add metadata to Dolby True HD codec, which makes it backward compatible, non-Atmos decoders simply ignore the extra info.?
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #230
BussDriver BussDriver is offline
New Member
 
Feb 2015
Default

Excellent information

Thank you
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:40 AM   #231
pamrish pamrish is offline
 
Apr 2016
Default SONY STR-DN860 Receiver settings Help

Hello All,
I am new to this forum so if I have post this at the wrong forum then please guide me where can I post this?
Here what I need a help with:
After tried all the tricks and settings in this forum for calibrating any AV Receiver I still have issues with obtaining clear dialogues from centre speakers.

I have Sony STR-DN860 AV receiver and Infinity Modulus ii (Total 5)Speakers plus Polk PSW 10 Sub woofer set up and calibrated with Auto Calibration Microphone comes with the receiver.
All Speakers Level (with Auto Calibration) readings are as follow:
Front Left 0.0db Distance 15'-10"
Centrer -2.5db Distance 13'-3"
Front Right 0.0 Distance 15'-5"
Surround Left -2.0 Distance 4'-11"
Sub woofer 2.0db Distance 15'.0

Surprisingly auto calibration detects Front and Surround speakers as Large and Centre Speaker as Small so only Crossover frequency I can change is on Centre Speakers as rest of the speakers settings greyed out and not changeable. There is nothing for Sub woofer settings except LFE on or off. Presently it's ON and back of the Sub woofer dial settings for freq is 160 and volume set in the middle (half way) position.

With above settings I have boomy and echo sound and not clear dialogues.

Any suggestion or help to fix these issues so I can enjoy the system with good clear and good sound.

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Regards,
Amrish
Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Last edited by pamrish; 04-12-2016 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Correction
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #232
pacman9270 pacman9270 is offline
Senior Member
 
pacman9270's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Dallas, TX
82
346
45
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamrish View Post
Hello All,
I am new to this forum so if I have post this at the wrong forum then please guide me where can I post this?
Here what I need a help with:
After tried all the tricks and settings in this forum for calibrating any AV Receiver I still have issues with obtaining clear dialogues from centre speakers.

I have Sony STR-DN860 AV receiver and Infinity Modulus ii (Total 5)Speakers plus Polk PSW 10 Sub woofer set up and calibrated with Auto Calibration Microphone comes with the receiver.
All Speakers Level (with Auto Calibration) readings are as follow:
Front Left 0.0db Distance 15'-10"
Centrer -2.5db Distance 13'-3"
Front Right 0.0 Distance 15'-5"
Surround Left -2.0 Distance 4'-11"
Sub woofer 2.0db Distance 15'.0

Surprisingly auto calibration detects Front and Surround speakers as Large and Centre Speaker as Small so only Crossover frequency I can change is on Centre Speakers as rest of the speakers settings greyed out and not changeable. There is nothing for Sub woofer settings except LFE on or off. Presently it's ON and back of the Sub woofer dial settings for freq is 160 and volume set in the middle (half way) position.

With above settings I have boomy and echo sound and not clear dialogues.

Any suggestion or help to fix these issues so I can enjoy the system with good clear and good sound.

Thank you all in advance for any help.

Regards,
Amrish
Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Go into your manual speaker settings and set your fronts to SMALL. You should be able to change this. In that same screen, you should be able to change your crossover settings. I would set them no less than 80Hz with your system.

If you have a fan in the room, that should NOT be running as you run your auto calibration. That would have a negative impact on how the microphone determines standing waves and reverb in your room.

You can also try increasing the SPL of your center channel and see if that works as well.

That's all the advice I have. I remember the same situation I had but that was because I had my ceiling fan on when I calibrated. The ceiling fan made no noise, but the air flow was hitting directly on the mic.
There are never failures, only challenges.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #233
hYPE hYPE is offline
Senior Member
 
hYPE's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Bay Area, California
551
43
50
29
Default

I just purchased the "Sharp - 2.1-Channel Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer" for my 65inch LED Vizio. Anyone have any recommendations on what the bass/sub/treble should be? I keep hearing its about preference but I'm totally flying blind here
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:05 AM   #234
pacman9270 pacman9270 is offline
Senior Member
 
pacman9270's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Dallas, TX
82
346
45
5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hYPE View Post
I just purchased the "Sharp - 2.1-Channel Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer" for my 65inch LED Vizio. Anyone have any recommendations on what the bass/sub/treble should be? I keep hearing its about preference but I'm totally flying blind here
Go with what you like. If those are the only settings, it just comes down to your preference.
There are never failures, only challenges.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 PM   #235
ewtruesdell ewtruesdell is offline
New Member
 
Jan 2013
56
Default DVD-Audio on Samsung BD-J5900

Sorry if doing this in the wrong place. Have a bunch of DVD-Audio discs that I have played on my old BD-D5700 but after it died recently I bought the BD-J5900 and I can't seem to get the separation anymore. Should the new player be able to play the discs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:56 AM   #236
hometheatergeek hometheatergeek is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA
47
200
49
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewtruesdell View Post
Sorry if doing this in the wrong place. Have a bunch of DVD-Audio discs that I have played on my old BD-D5700 but after it died recently I bought the BD-J5900 and I can't seem to get the separation anymore. Should the new player be able to play the discs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie
That player does not have the capability to play DVD-Audio discs according to the specs. You need to do some research to find a player that is able to play them.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RP-450CA, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ewtruesdell (05-25-2016)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Home theater audio help! Audio Theory and Discussion thePhoenix 4 02-02-2010 06:04 PM
getting HD audio - new home theater Receivers BLUCanadian 7 01-19-2009 03:16 PM
TV audio issue (not home theater) Audio Theory and Discussion romac 1 06-19-2008 07:17 AM
Home Theater Set-Up Audio. Help! Home Theater General Discussion crey014 3 06-05-2008 05:44 AM
Your first experience in audio home theater? Speakers Homura 41 04-28-2008 09:33 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:10 AM.