Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
6 hrs ago
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
12 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players

Old 06-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Seven seas
Default Panasonic DMP-BDT500

Im looking for a new player to hook up to an Epson 3010 projector. What do you guys think of this Panny model?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/dmp-bdt500
There simply is no other place on the internet. Blu-ray.com
If you are not paying for the best you are getting ripped off by the worst.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Power Member

Jan 2008

I ordered one from Amazon over the weekend. So I am not officially an owner yet. But I have read the manual a few times that I downloaded from Panasonic's website. I am very excited about the build quality, AQ, and PQ along with other features like dual HDMI outputs for those who don't have 3D compatible AVRs not to mention 7.1 analog audio outputs to boot. There is an official owners thread at AVSforum.

I expect delivery by around July 9th. I guess after I get it, I can start an official owners thread for the Panasonic DMP-BDT500 here on blu-ray.com.

Sorry Tyler, didn't mean to bump your thread nor do I have an answer to your question since I don't own an HD projector.

Last edited by Yeha-Noha; 07-05-2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
Expert Member

Jul 2010

Doesn't this unit play SACD?
Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2008

Unfortunately, it doesn't. See page 6 in the 500 manual for playable media.

However, the new Oppo BDP-95 certainly does. Other brands like Sony, Marantz, Denon, and Pioneer Elite do too, but I'm not familiar with the specific models from those brands.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
Expert Member

Oct 2006

What is everyone doing for the 3d settings? Leaving the default of round, and -2 for pop out?
JVC RS40 projector / 118 inch Carada screen
Panasonic BDT-500 3D blu-ray player
Yamaha 1800 receiver
Infinity Primus 360 front towers
Infinity Beta C360 center speaker
4 Infinity 160 surround speakers
SVS PC 13 Ultra sub
Old 08-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #6

Jul 2012

This is a pretty impressive blu-ray player, although it has no DVD-Audio or SACD playback..it makes up for this with plenty of other features. Overall, it offers a great value for the ~$300 price.

This review is helpful for those deciding whether to buy this player: http://www.trustedreviews.com/panaso...-Player_review
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #7
Power Member

Jan 2008

I got my BDT500 around 6 weeks ago. I can tell you this. I am very pleased with it's performance. I only use it to play BD and DVD movies. I have no interest in Netflix or VuDu for streaming movies. I don't have a 3D TV yet, but may by the end of the year. I can't comment on the 3D performance. Both the PQ and AQ are excellent. What a vast improvement over my old Sony S350 player. It's like night and day.

I bought it mainly for it's 7.1 analog audio outputs and dual HDMI outputs. I had it initially setup for 7.1 analog connected to my Yamaha receiver which has 7.1 analog audio inputs. The sound was absolutely amazing having a wide detailed sound field, excellent dialogue clarity, and solid robust bass. A few weeks later, I set it up by connecting the HDMI audio sub channel to my receiver and the primary HDMI AV out going to my HDTV. Both outputs are HDMI, one for audio only and the other video only. My Yamaha is not 3D ready. But this way I can still use my receiver when I do go 3D. Interestingly enough, the dual HDMI setup sounded exactly like the analog audio. My speakers and receiver are only mid level. Perhaps if I had high end audiophile equipment, I would then be able to tell the difference. Then again, maybe not. I ended up not using the 7.1 analog audio output mainly because now there are only two cables to deal instead of eight.

AVS forum has two excellent user/owner threads going for this player. That's where I went for good advice on how to use and setup my player. I recommend these for anyone who owns a Panny 500 as well as for others wanting more information before deciding to buy one:

Panasonic DMP BDT500
220-320-500-owners-thread
Old 08-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

Aug 2012
Wake Forest, NC

I bought this player about a week ago. It is a beautifully built and a wonderfully constructed player. I can say that the picture quality is superb as well as the audio. It almost has too many options IMO. The remote is a bit awkward and can give you a hand cramp in a very short amount of time. I actually have several questions about optimally connecting the unit when connected to a Yamaha RX-A720 and Panasonic Viera 55" GT Plasma. I will post it later once I have enough posts to start a new thread. :-) I have no regrets in this player. I hope to get many years of use out of it.

Cheers,
Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #9

Dec 2012

Ever so sorry to Hijack thread..

I am unable to make my own thread...

Hi,

I am really at a loss and have tried other forums with no luck lets see if many anybody here has an idea of my rather frustrating problem.

I have the Panasonic BDT500.

I have a 2TB Hitachi Touro USB 3.0/2.0 HDD plugged into the USB socket.

From the Panasonic BDT 500 I can browse the USB drive and playback for example, a 1080p DTS MKV file without issue, and bitstream that DTS to my Yamaha RX-A1010 without issue (so DTS shows up on the AMP) I can also do the same with BluRay discs perfectly including any HD audio.

The problem comes when I try and playback ANY MKV file with DTS HD MA.

DTS HD MA shows up on my receiver however it is flickering like crazy - if I select audio on one of these files and choose DD it works flawlessly - back to DTS HD MA and no sound again, and AV Receiver display panel starts flickering like mad again

I also just discovered if I switch DTS / DTS HD in Panasonic options to PCM, instead of bitstream, the audio track with DTS HD MA plays PERFECTLY.

So, after days of forums posts and no help, and hours of reading and fiddling about, I have discovered it seems I cannot bitstream HD audio from my USB HDD.

I should also point out just in case, if I plug my USB HDD into my PC all files work flawlessly from said HDD including bitstreaming DTS HD MA

I would truly appreciate so much if anybody could help me shed some light on this, firmware is 1.49 (latest)

Many thanks.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post
What is everyone doing for the 3d settings? Leaving the default of round, and -2 for pop out?
i have asked the same question several times in other threads. i set mine on round and +2, which i believe increases 3d effect.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #11

Feb 2012
Plano, TX
Default Got mine 4 days ago...

So far I'm liking it. First bought a Pioneer Elite 62fd and was pissed to bring it home and find out I have to buy the wireless adapter. For $399, it should have it integrated. However, PQ and AQ were awesome. Great loading time.

Took it back and was referred to this BDT500 player.

It may be the money talking...
... but the PQ is slightly better than my 40GB PS3...
... AQ seemed slightly better. It was cool to see something other than Linear PCM go across the screen of my Elite VSX-40 AVR.

I tried the single and dual HDMI configuration. Due to my AVR being 1.4 compatible, I prefer the single HDMI connecton. There was no difference between the two configurations in PQ. However, I was experiencing some audio delays and interruptions. Don't know what was happening there.

Played the Alicia Keys new cd(don't judge... she can sing her arse off.). Sound quality sounded great, didn't make any changes to the sound configurations. I have with DefTech ProCinema 600 5.1 system.

Improved picture quality when streaming Netflix vs PS3, however, wifi on this device seems kind of slow when compared to the PS3. Pandora streamed with no issues. Account login was very easy to both services.

It is cool to have a Panny TV. The BDT500 sync'd to the TV and AVR. When I power up the BDT500, the AVR sets to the BD input automatically. Cool enough for me.

All in all, I really like this player. Dark Knight Rises, Hellboy, Avengers, and Blade Runner look and sound great! Next: Total Recall(2012)
There are never failures, only challenges.

My newest addition: SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (testing to see if I like it.)
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #12

Feb 2012
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Im looking for a new player to hook up to an Epson 3010 projector. What do you guys think of this Panny model?

http://www.whathifi.com/review/dmp-bdt500
What did you end up getting?

Oh... and I'm loving my BDT500. I don't use the analog outputs but the video processing is phenomenal.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

Guys, just noticed this device has Burr-Brown 192kHz/32-bit DACs in it. Any comments on how it does with music? Over HDMI? Over analog? Over optical/coaxial?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #14

Feb 2012
Plano, TX

Sounds great to me. Not a fan of the virtual tube sound settings. Great playback of DMB, Alicia Keys, The Roots, and Carlos Santana CDs. Great clarity and depth.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
Sounds great to me. Not a fan of the virtual tube sound settings. Great playback of DMB, Alicia Keys, The Roots, and Carlos Santana CDs. Great clarity and depth.
Hey buddy, I read about that feature. Seems cool to have....Aside from that :P Was your listening experience over the rca outs or over hdmi? Also, does "transport" mode occur when you use a coaxial/SPDIF cable to a receiver/amp? And did you try it through that method? Sorry for the ton of questions Im really eager to learn more about its performance. Seems like a good buy for CD playback/Blu-ray and possibly dvd playback ( I do not know how well it performs with upscaling/de-interlacing dvd content )

Edit:
How would the Sony S790 compare to the BDT500' dac? I believe the Sony has a 24bit 96khz dac and its video processing is top notch....
All I know about the Sony S790 is that it is a really good value (price wise) for its dvd/bluray playback and it can play SACDs..for those in the know

Last edited by v_squared123; 05-30-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
Expert Member

Apr 2012
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_squared123 View Post
Hey buddy, I read about that feature. Seems cool to have....Aside from that :P Was your listening experience over the rca outs or over hdmi? Also, does "transport" mode occur when you use a coaxial/SPDIF cable to a receiver/amp? And did you try it through that method? Sorry for the ton of questions Im really eager to learn more about its performance. Seems like a good buy for CD playback/Blu-ray and possibly dvd playback ( I do not know how well it performs with upscaling/de-interlacing dvd content )

Edit:
How would the Sony S790 compare to the BDT500' dac? I believe the Sony has a 24bit 96khz dac and its video processing is top notch....
All I know about the Sony S790 is that it is a really good value (price wise) for its dvd/bluray playback and it can play SACDs..for those in the know
Anyone?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011

I have a question regarding the BDT500 (I haven't purchased the player yet)
>>>
I would like to assign a stereo audio out (analog cinch) to my receiver (when I play CDs) and another stereo audio out (analog cinch) to another pair of speakers (when I play Blu-rays/DVDs). Is that possible?
Old 09-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #18

Feb 2012
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_squared123 View Post

Edit:
My bad for the late response.

All playback has been over hdmi. I'm thinking about going analogue but have not been in any rush. Video/Audio quality is top-notch. Also has really good 3D performance.

Con:No SACD playback.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #19

Sep 2009
Queens, NY

Sorry to drag an old thread back to life, but I was wondering if anybody else has seen this problem.

When watching netflix videos the screen brightness annoyingly fluctuates between dark and light.

This only happens with Netflix, not with any other online source or with blurays. It also doesn't happen with the Netflix GUI.

I wonder if it's a buffering issue, but I have a fast internet and the player is wired.

My chromecast is wifi and can manage Netflix with no problems.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #20

Feb 2012
Plano, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by punking View Post
Sorry to drag an old thread back to life, but I was wondering if anybody else has seen this problem.

When watching netflix videos the screen brightness annoyingly fluctuates between dark and light.

This only happens with Netflix, not with any other online source or with blurays. It also doesn't happen with the Netflix GUI.

I wonder if it's a buffering issue, but I have a fast internet and the player is wired.

My chromecast is wifi and can manage Netflix with no problems.
I bet it is a buffering issue. After time, my player has lagged on the Netflix connection. Takes forever to load and i don't get Super HD much. Other than the streaming issues, the player is great.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Players