Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
7 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 min ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 02-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #21

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Update:

Best. Friday. Ever.

Received the HD800s today, and got lucky enough to also receive the Schiit BiFrost, and Valhalla today as well!

Can't wait to get home tonight!

I'll take and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Current Blu-Ray Recommendation:

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
Update:

Best. Friday. Ever.

Received the HD800s today, and got lucky enough to also receive the Schiit BiFrost, and Valhalla today as well!

Can't wait to get home tonight!

I'll take and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.
You lucky skunk you. Ok, I have to ask, what's the first thing you will use to audition these awesome cans?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #23

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Ok, I have to ask, what's the first thing you will use to audition these awesome cans?
Now, that, my friend... is the real question!

I ordered up a few new records for the occasion so I might check a few of those out. One of the new records I ordered was the Limited Edition Numbered 45 RPM pressing of Bob Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home, so I might start there.

I will probably have to wait until late tonight to try these out unfortunately though, as it is so cold here today (I think we had a high of 4 degrees) that I will have to let all of these warm up and get to room temperature before installing the tubes and giving them a go!

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Now, that, my friend... is the real question!

I ordered up a few new records for the occasion so I might check a few of those out. One of the new records I ordered was the Limited Edition Numbered 45 RPM pressing of Bob Dylan's Bringing It All Back Home, so I might start there.

I will probably have to wait until late tonight to try these out unfortunately though, as it is so cold here today (I think we had a high of 4 degrees) that I will have to let all of these warm up and get to room temperature before installing the tubes and giving them a go!
Yep, That's a must. That sounds like a good place to start, though I would listen to something I'm highly familiar with to evaluate them best, but hey, you have a lifetime for that

Keep us posted buddy.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #25

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
...but hey, you have a lifetime for that

Keep us posted buddy.
Exactly. I think I could probably spend an entire week just deciding what are the first albums I want to listen to first, so I am just going to pop something in, and see how it goes!

I have to say though, pretty sure Pink Floyd's Echoes Vinyl Box set will be spun at least a few times tonight.

Will do! I'll try and get some pics taken and posted shortly.

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Exactly. I think I could probably spend an entire week just deciding what are the first albums I want to listen to first, so I am just going to pop something in, and see how it goes!

I have to say though, pretty sure Pink Floyd's Echoes Vinyl Box set will be spun at least a few times tonight.

Will do! I'll try and get some pics taken and posted shortly.
There ya go, but since you mentioned Echoes, I'm all ears, so to speak
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #27

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
There ya go, but since you mentioned Echoes, I'm all ears, so to speak

Nice.

Okay, as promised, a few pics. (See Below). I've only given digital sources a whirl so far...and am SO impressed. Lossless digital is incredibly impressive. (To be truthful, as a test, I also checked out a few high bitrate mp3s, and even those sound like you have never heard them.)

I can't even wait to take these down to my table. I am going to spend a majority of my time tomorrow doing some more listening tests with my turntable. Wished I could have spent more time tonight, but after being delivered today, I had to wait until the devices had 'warmed up'. It got all of 4 degrees here today, and needless to say, I wanted to make sure these got to room temperature, naturally, before booting up tonight.

Click Spoilers for pics:

Phones themselves:

[Show spoiler]

Combo:

[Show spoiler]

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

Nice.

Okay, as promised, a few pics. (See Below). I've only given digital sources a whirl so far...and am SO impressed. Lossless digital is incredibly impressive. (To be truthful, as a test, I also checked out a few high bitrate mp3s, and even those sound like you have never heard them.)

I can't even wait to take these down to my table. I am going to spend a majority of my time tomorrow doing some more listening tests with my turntable. Wished I could have spent more time tonight, but after being delivered today, I had to wait until the devices had 'warmed up'. It got all of 4 degrees here today, and needless to say, I wanted to make sure these got to room temperature, naturally, before booting up tonight.

Click Spoilers for pics:

Phones themselves:

[Show spoiler]

Combo:

[Show spoiler]
Well buddy, a big congrats, those look awesome as they should for the price they sell for. It makes for a really cool setup, and with the price you paid the phones (sic) it makes for a little investment (all things being equal) for such an outstanding rig. I really wouldn't mind giving your rig a good once over. Dare I say DSotM and Tubular Bells

Looking forward for a more detailed review.

Now go and enjoy them.

Edit: Now you know you have to turn the lights out and listen while basking in the gorgeous tube glow, not a question, a simple fact

Last edited by pentatonic; 02-02-2013 at 03:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-02-2013, 04:02 AM   #29

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Well buddy, a big congrats, those look awesome as they should for the price they sell for. It makes for a really cool setup, and with the price you paid the phones (sic) it makes for a little investment (all things being equal) for such an outstanding rig. I really wouldn't mind giving your rig a good once over. There I say DSotM and Tubular Bells

Looking forward for a more detailed review.

Now go and enjoy them.

Edit: Now you know you have to turn the lights out and listen while basking in the gorgeous tube glow, not a question, a simple fact
Thanks a lot, pentatonic. Most definitely, all things considered, it really is an incredible setup considering the very moderate investment I had to make.

Will definitely post one tomorrow after some more time with multiple sources, and obviously bringing them down to table, and really giving them a true test.

P.S. Already beat you to that. I told my wife I am unavailable until tomorrow evening.

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Thanks a lot, pentatonic. Most definitely, all things considered, it really is an incredible setup considering the very moderate investment I had to make.

Will definitely post one tomorrow after some more time with multiple sources, and obviously bringing them down to table, and really giving them a true test.

P.S. Already beat you to that. I told my wife I am unavailable until tomorrow evening.
Good stuff buddy, good stuff. There's no denying what a good pair of headphones can bring to music, you'd probably have to spend many more times that amount to get a speaker setup of the same quality, and the sheer intimacy of the experience can't be duplicated otherwise.

Enjoy your great luck kemosabe
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:

Hey buddy, where's the update
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #32

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Hey buddy, where's the update
Sorry, my friend.

We had to attend a big event for my wife's work last night, and I hadn't had a chance to post more updates.

Will post more soon. We are getting ready for the Super Bowl party now.

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #33

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Update:

I've had some more time to spend with the HD800s and thought I would post some further thoughts.

When I first listened to the HD800s, I found them (with certain sources/instruments) to be a tad bit sibilant. I found this specifically noticeable with some higher register Piano parts, as well as some cymbal recordings. I have read others reviews from users whom had the same impression at first. However, after having listened to them for approximately 15-20 hours now, this has greatly reduced. Some people have mentioned that they believe the HD800s have a significant 'burn-in' period, and from my experience, I would tend to agree so far. I will probably have more to say regarding this once I reach ~50 hours of use or greater.

The first, most noticeable impression I had regarding the HD800s after having used multiple sources was the sound stage that these headphones provide. It is somewhat difficult to explain, but from past experience, when listening to headphones the stereo image commonly sounds as if it is in your head, as opposed to hearing it take place around your head. This is a revelation! Due to the amount of space inside the ear cups, and the designs of the drivers themselves, it truly sounds like you are hearing the image as if you were listening to speakers as opposed to headphones. You experience the stage in a way that makes you feel a part of it, and 'in it' but in a completely different way than I had ever experienced with headphones.

I have listened to a variety of sources, both analog, and digital, (Vinyl Records both 33, and 45, Lossless Digital, and Lossy Digital) and a variety of different types of music as well as different styles of recordings. The reason I discuss this is these headphones will provide a true window into the quality of the recording itself. From my experience, the HD800s will make the best recordings sound better, but in the same vein, will also showcase negative aspects of recordings which are poor, or not as good. I found them to work very well for a majority of styles of music. I did listen to the complete Bob Dylan's Bringing it All Back Home album (45 RPM pressing, which might I add, go pick up if you are even on the fence about!) This really sounded wonderful, enormous, detailed, clarity to boot, and probably the best I have ever heard the album. Truly a wonderful way to begin testing the HD800s with a vinyl source.

Somewhat related... I am now debating upgrading the Phono Pre stage of my turntable setup. I currently have the Bellari VP130, (see picture in spoiler).

[Show spoiler]

I am not convinced my phono pre stage is a great match with my new Valhalla headphone amp. I have always loved the way the VP130 sounds with my speakers, but for the HD800s paired with the Valhalla, I am wondering if I am perhaps shortchanging myself. I may consider possibly adding a solid state phono pre in the near future to test. Alas, I digress...

In summation, based on my brief use and tests over the past few days, I could not be happier, both with the HD800s themselves, and with the wonderful DAC/Amp by Schiit. I don't believe the HD800s are for everyone, most likely probably not even most people, they provide a very unique, distinguished, and unparalleled headphone listening experience. To be properly appreciated though, they definitely require a dedicated amplifier to sufficiently drive them. If you are using a stock headphone output of random X device, you will most likely not be experiencing the full impact of what these headphones CAN deliver. They really require some specifics to be truly heard and appreciated as intended. So far though, a true winner in my book. I can't wait to put them on again and listen some more...

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Update:

I've had some more time to spend with the HD800s and thought I would post some further thoughts.

When I first listened to the HD800s, I found them (with certain sources/instruments) to be a tad bit sibilant. I found this specifically noticeable with some higher register Piano parts, as well as some cymbal recordings. I have read others reviews from users whom had the same impression at first. However, after having listened to them for approximately 15-20 hours now, this has greatly reduced. Some people have mentioned that they believe the HD800s have a significant 'burn-in' period, and from my experience, I would tend to agree so far. I will probably have more to say regarding this once I reach ~50 hours of use or greater.

The first, most noticeable impression I had regarding the HD800s after having used multiple sources was the sound stage that these headphones provide. It is somewhat difficult to explain, but from past experience, when listening to headphones the stereo image commonly sounds as if it is in your head, as opposed to hearing it take place around your head. This is a revelation! Due to the amount of space inside the ear cups, and the designs of the drivers themselves, it truly sounds like you are hearing the image as if you were listening to speakers as opposed to headphones. You experience the stage in a way that makes you feel a part of it, and 'in it' but in a completely different way than I had ever experienced with headphones.

I have listened to a variety of sources, both analog, and digital, (Vinyl Records both 33, and 45, Lossless Digital, and Lossy Digital) and a variety of different types of music as well as different styles of recordings. The reason I discuss this is these headphones will provide a true window into the quality of the recording itself. From my experience, the HD800s will make the best recordings sound better, but in the same vein, will also showcase negative aspects of recordings which are poor, or not as good. I found them to work very well for a majority of styles of music. I did listen to the complete Bob Dylan's Bringing it All Back Home album (45 RPM pressing, which might I add, go pick up if you are even on the fence about!) This really sounded wonderful, enormous, detailed, clarity to boot, and probably the best I have ever heard the album. Truly a wonderful way to begin testing the HD800s with a vinyl source.

Somewhat related... I am now debating upgrading the Phono Pre stage of my turntable setup. I currently have the Bellari VP130, (see picture in spoiler).

[Show spoiler]

I am not convinced my phono pre stage is a great match with my new Valhalla headphone amp. I have always loved the way the VP130 sounds with my speakers, but for the HD800s paired with the Valhalla, I am wondering if I am perhaps shortchanging myself. I may consider possibly adding a solid state phono pre in the near future to test. Alas, I digress...

In summation, based on my brief use and tests over the past few days, I could not be happier, both with the HD800s themselves, and with the wonderful DAC/Amp by Schiit. I don't believe the HD800s are for everyone, most likely probably not even most people, they provide a very unique, distinguished, and unparalleled headphone listening experience. To be properly appreciated though, they definitely require a dedicated amplifier to sufficiently drive them. If you are using a stock headphone output of random X device, you will most likely not be experiencing the full impact of what these headphones CAN deliver. They really require some specifics to be truly heard and appreciated as intended. So far though, a true winner in my book. I can't wait to put them on again and listen some more...
Great review...And I know what you mean by "in your head". For some applications it works well, but the speaker effect is awesome, the recording does have a lot to do with it.

I suggest you buy(CD or hi res d/l) and listen to "Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show". The better the cans the spacier it is. I can definitely see this tech being used too little for it's merits.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:04 PM   #35

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Great review...And I know what you mean by "in your head". For some applications it works well, but the speaker effect is awesome, the recording does have a lot to do with it.

I suggest you buy(CD or hi res d/l) and listen to "Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show". The better the cans the spacier it is. I can definitely see this tech being used too little for it's merits.
Thanks, pentatonic. Yeah, I definitely agree. I think the 'speaker effect' might be one of the single greatest achievements in regards to the HD800s. It really is quite something when considering you are still wearing headphones.

Thanks for the recco! That sounds fun. I'll have to check it out.

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-08-2013, 02:03 AM   #36

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

pentatonic,

Dear friend.

EXCELLENT RECCO!

Today I received "Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show."

Been listening since I got home.

Wow.

I now have a new demo for anyone whom listens to the HD800s.

What an incredible project, and compilation. It is really impressive. Thanks again for mentioning that.

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #37

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Hello Adam!

Just found this thread (my apologies) and I couldn't be happier for you! That is one kick-ass combo you've acquired and should give you years and years of musical satisfaction.

I like your idea of upgrading the phonostage, although the Bellari is a nice little unit. Have you any in mind?

Great review my friend!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Valab/King
Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #38

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Hello Adam!

Just found this thread (my apologies) and I couldn't be happier for you! That is one kick-ass combo you've acquired and should give you years and years of musical satisfaction.

I like your idea of upgrading the phonostage, although the Bellari is a nice little unit. Have you any in mind?

Great review my friend!
Hello John!

No worries, my friend! Thank you very much! Yeah, I am very happy with it (as I am sure you can imagine )

Yeah, I have already been looking more into upgrading my phono stage. I do agree, the Bellari is a nice little unit, and with my speakers, I have always been pretty happy with it, but I feel like it is less than flattering when used in line with the Valhalla Headphone Amp.

I have a co-worker whom actually is going to be out of town for a week on vacation, and he just let me borrow his solid state phono-pre for the week while he is gone! (What a nice guy!)

He has this unit by DynaVector:

P-75 MKII

He brought it in today for me, so I'll probably hook it up this weekend, and see how it sounds in place of the Bellari. At least it will give me a good comparison point.

My Criterion Collection
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
LOTR Auckland, New Zealand (Down Under)

Looks like you are having fun Adam.

New hardware is the best.

Dono
Source: iPod 160G in Arcam DrDock, 2x Oppo BDP-103D's (Blu-ray, CD, SACD and DVD Audio), PS3 and PS4.
Amplification: Marantz SR7009(Atmos), 2x Marantz MM7055's (10 amps bi-amping 5 channels).
Speakers: (Atmos 5.3.2): 4 x Polk RTiA7's, Polk CSP 1000, 2x Atlantic TLC-8.2, Polk PSW 1200, 2x SVS SB Ultra 13's and triple buttkicker system.
Projection: Dreamvision Yunzi + 3 Tentation Ltd. Ed.
Headgear: Woo WA22 (tube amp), Oppo HA-1 (DAC and amp), Audeze LCD-3.

BLU's FOR SALE
Old 02-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #40

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
Looks like you are having fun Adam.

New hardware is the best.

Dono
It has been a lot of fun, D. New hardware is the best.

My Criterion Collection
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio

Tags
bifrost, hd800, schiit, sennheiser, valhalla