Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Of Human Bondage (Blu-ray)
$14.78
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Expert Member

Mar 2010
Default Newbie question about 7.1 setup on Onkyo receiver

I am currently in the process of hooking up a 7.1 surround sound system. I am very new to all this and have not done any of it before. Everything went smoothly except for one issue. I have the Jamo A102 7.1 speaker system and the Onkyo TX-SR506 Receiver, which I purchased used in excellent condition.

The two front and the center work perfect. I am having an issue with the four rears. I hooked two speakers to the L and R hookups under the 'Surr Speakers' column and they play fine. There is one last column on the left which says 'Surr Back Speakers (Bi-Amp for Front speakers). The two speakers I hook up here do not play. What is this whole bi-amp thing about? The manual shows speakers hooked up here, but no sound. I unhooked the speakers from here and twisted them together with the 'Surr Speakers' to at least get sound from all 4 rears.

Now, I feel as though I am getting 5.1 sound only out of 7 speakers. When doing a 7.1 white noise test, two right speakers and two left speakers are highlighted on the screen playing noise, but noise comes out both at the same time in my room.

I am new to all this and I really hope this makes sense. It's not the easiest thing to explain I suppose. Many thanks to anyone who may know what I mean.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

It sounds like the rear terminals can be used as surround backs or to bi-amp the fronts. Bi-amping provides additional amplification for the front speakers instead of powering separate channels. You need to set the terminals as rear channels.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by BIslander; 02-04-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
It sounds like the rear terminals can be used as surround backs or to bi-amp the fronts. Bi-amping provides additional amplification for the front speakers instead of powering separate channels. You need to set the terminals as rear channels.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
I just need to find out how to do so on the setup. I see all the usual options. Speaker config, Speaker distance. Any idea of where that option may be? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Take a look at pages 17 and 38 of the manual.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #5

Jan 2012
Michigan

You also need a 7 channel source, or turn on a DSP such as Dolby PLIIx. After hooking the speakers back up to the correct terminals.
|| AVR - Onkyo TX-NR1009 || Amps - Emotiva XPA-2 / Emotiva LPA-1 || TV - Misubishi WD60737 || BD Player - Sony BDP-S790 || CD Player - Denon DCM-290 || Gaming - Modified PS3 Fat / Modified Wii / PS4 (Pre-Ordered)|| Main L&R - Polk Audio Monitor 70II || Center - PolkAudio CS2II || Surround - Polk Audio Monitor 40II || Rear Surround - Polk Audio OWM3 || Front High -Polk Audio OWM3 || Subwoofer - 2 Polk Audio PSW505s || Harmony 1100 Remote ||
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers