Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gremlins (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Birds (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
No Holds Barred (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Despicable Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Old 02-05-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
Canada htpc stereo analog question?

Ok so I'm turning my media server into an htpc and will be using the video card HDMI output for most of my needs. But my old trusty E-Mu 0404 had died on me, it was a pretty decent card for analog. I have much hi-rez files of tons of format on which I relied on this card's analog section.

Now this incident was not in the budget so will have to wait but my question is do I try to find a good deal on a Xonar STX, give the DX or D1 a try as they spec extremely well and all also well reviewed and I could do 7.1 analog. So basically is the STX worth twice the price if the headphone out for me would be wasted.

Or do I keep an eye out for a used XDA-1 (if they actually can be found) The only thing that will use the dac will be my htpc and possibly coaxial from my Oppo for CD.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 AM   #2

Jan 2008
Southern California

You are in the wrong section of the forum. I will move this thread to the following section.

Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software.

Prerich is a good person to answer your PC related questions about sound cards. I am a bit old fashioned and not too much into computer music.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
You are in the wrong section of the forum. I will move this thread to the following section.

Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software.

Prerich is a good person to answer your PC related questions about sound cards. I am a bit old fashioned and not too much into computer music.
Hey Dad, thanks I realized it too late. Did you forgive me yet?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #4

Dec 2007

How much are you looking to spend?
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC with Phonic Firefly 808 Universal Audio Interface, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #5

Dec 2007

A simple solution would be the Dragonfly DAC http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Dra...=dragonfly+dac

That's if your budget is around 250.00. Others in this price range would also include the Halo Claro XT (which would provide you with 7.1 also). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271005

I just saw that the price of the Halo Claro XT has come down to 200.00 and some specs exceeds those of the XDA-1

The Asus is an awesome card, but there are a few options out there.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC with Phonic Firefly 808 Universal Audio Interface, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.

Last edited by prerich; 02-05-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
How much are you looking to spend?
For now that's my problem as this wasn't in the plans as my E-Mu as given many great years. Really sad that E-mu couldn't survive as they had really good products. The 0404 used the AKM AK4396DAC and Burr Brown/TI PCM1804 ADC. But it was their implementation and absolutely awesome software controller that made it the best kept secret for so long.

So I want something of at least this quality, and since it really is for the htpc a sound card with good analog outs would be best. I knew I was going to change though as I will be putting WIN 8 Pro on there at one point and no way in hell will there be win8 drivers, it took Creative a stupid amount of time to give beta win 7 drivers. It could be USB (I'm keeping an eye out for a 0404 USB or 0204 usb they are still ccheap and decent). But I might like having a good 7.1 or 5.1 analog out section for my mutlitracks as to be honest, I don't know what my Old Denon 987p uses but I think I could do better.

So basically what is the best sounding cheap solution out there for minimum 2 ch analog and if the premium isn't huge, good multi channel analog, but 2 ch comes first. And all that in let's say the $140-150 range/used market.

Quote:
A simple solution would be the Dragonfly DAC http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Dra...=dragonfly+dac

That's if your budget is around 250.00. Others in this price range would also include the Halo Claro XT (which would provide you with 7.1 also). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829271005

I just saw that the price of the Halo Claro XT has come down to 200.00 and some specs exceeds those of the XDA-1

The Asus is an awesome card, but there are a few options out there.
Oups forgot this part, hehe, thanks for the links.

Edit: forgot to ask you about your thoughts on the Xonar D1 or DX with the same ASUS AV100 High-Definition Sound Processor as the Essence?

Last edited by pentatonic; 02-05-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #7

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
For now that's my problem as this wasn't in the plans as my E-Mu as given many great years. Really sad that E-mu couldn't survive as they had really good products. The 0404 used the AKM AK4396DAC and Burr Brown/TI PCM1804 ADC. But it was their implementation and absolutely awesome software controller that made it the best kept secret for so long.

So I want something of at least this quality, and since it really is for the htpc a sound card with good analog outs would be best. I knew I was going to change though as I will be putting WIN 8 Pro on there at one point and no way in hell will there be win8 drivers, it took Creative a stupid amount of time to give beta win 7 drivers. It could be USB (I'm keeping an eye out for a 0404 USB or 0204 usb they are still ccheap and decent). But I might like having a good 7.1 or 5.1 analog out section for my mutlitracks as to be honest, I don't know what my Old Denon 987p uses but I think I could do better.

So basically what is the best sounding cheap solution out there for minimum 2 ch analog and if the premium isn't huge, good multi channel analog, but 2 ch comes first. And all that in let's say the $140-150 range/used market.

Oups forgot this part, hehe, thanks for the links.

Edit: forgot to ask you about your thoughts on the Xonar D1 or DX with the same ASUS AV100 High-Definition Sound Processor as the Essence?
The Essence is better. Better dynamic range and SNR.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
The Essence is better. Better dynamic range and SNR.
Yea I know but the D1 specs are quite nice for the price. Mind you for now I will probably buy a 0404 USB as I know the E-Mu SQ and later on if and when I upgrade the 0404 will be used on my main PC for its inputs mostly and possibly sound card. Right now I'm running my onboard Realtek, but it's on a hi end Asus board so forget which one but one of the better and it's surprisingly good feeding my receiver using WASAPI, I was actually shocked to hear little to no difference from my Emu. When running though the windows console though, that's another story.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 AM   #9

Dec 2007

Quote:
Yea I know but the D1 specs are quite nice for the price. Mind you for now I will probably buy a 0404 USB as I know the E-Mu SQ and later on if and when I upgrade the 0404 will be used on my main PC for its inputs mostly and possibly sound card. Right now I'm running my onboard Realtek, but it's on a hi end Asus board so forget which one but one of the better and it's surprisingly good feeding my receiver using WASAPI, I was actually shocked to hear little to no difference from my Emu. When running though the windows console though, that's another story.
Oh, the 0404 is nice too!!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:22 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Oh, the 0404 is nice too!!!!
I actually found a new 0204, tempting. The main reason I like E-Mu so much, above the great quality of the product for the price (though a dead product) is they are the only ones under a few hundreds that offer all the sample rates with quality dacs, outside of the M-Audio 192 which is not at the same level, though a good card for $100. Most others either stop at 96 or don't support 88.2 and 176.4 and I need those at a minimum. The 0204 at $115 is a steal of a deal.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #11

Dec 2007

Quote:
I actually found a new 0204, tempting. The main reason I like E-Mu so much, above the great quality of the product for the price (though a dead product) is they are the only ones under a few hundreds that offer all the sample rates with quality dacs, outside of the M-Audio 192 which is not at the same level, though a good card for $100. Most others either stop at 96 or don't support 88.2 and 176.4 and I need those at a minimum. The 0204 at $115 is a steal of a deal.
Yes, it's more than callable - Just remember to connect it to a USB 2.0 port !!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #12

Dec 2007

Quote:
Are you using HDTracks to purchase your hd music selection?
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #13

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask my question here.

I'm redoing my 2CH setup by moving it into the LR, and the gear will be placed next to my PC. I'd like to be able play my flac files through my main system, but have no idea how to accomplish that. My preamp only has analogue inputs. Am I screwed?
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I'd ask my question here.

I'm redoing my 2CH setup by moving it into the LR, and the gear will be placed next to my PC. I'd like to be able play my flac files through my main system, but have no idea how to accomplish that. My preamp only has analogue inputs. Am I screwed?
Not at all John, you're in even better shape, all you need to do is run your analog outs from your xonar to your preamp, but we'll have to find a way for you to split your output to both your Truth monitors and preamp in the best way so not to degrade your sound (prerich to the rescue please! ). Does your Xonar have 2 analog outs? Too lazy to check the site, but will later

Edit: I'm trying to find what would be audiophile grade rca splitters and none came up, but the way I understand it from an electrical point of vue, What is important is the voltage of the inputs, not the amps, and splitting any electrical signal only reduces the amps, not the voltage unless you're talking long chains where the voltage will dip, but that's not a problem here. My fear is EMI and I guess we just need to find a well built splitter, maybe where you purchase your cables. Rich will surely confirm

Edit 2: To be honest 2 of these or this would be just perfect IMO, I really doubt that outside a quality built connector, you'll will get the same quality as you have now in your monitors, you will hear how good analog can be on your fine rig, and a care package is on the way soon

Edit 3: I guess if you wanted to feel great about it there's this They do look nice

Last edited by pentatonic; 03-02-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #15

Jul 2007

Quote:
Not at all John, you're in even better shape, all you need to do is run your analog outs from your xonar to your preamp, but we'll have to find a way for you to split your output to both your Truth monitors and preamp in the best way so not to degrade your sound (prerich to the rescue please! ). Does your Xonar have 2 analog outs? Too lazy to check the site, but will later

Edit: I'm trying to find what would be audiophile grade rca splitters and none came up, but the way I understand it from an electrical point of vue, What is important is the voltage of the inputs, not the amps, and splitting any electrical signal only reduces the amps, not the voltage unless you're talking long chains where the voltage will dip, but that's not a problem here. My fear is EMI and I guess we just need to find a well built splitter, maybe where you purchase your cables. Rich will surely confirm

Edit 2: To be honest 2 of these or this would be just perfect IMO, I really doubt that outside a quality built connector, you'll will get the same quality as you have now in your monitors, you will hear how good analog can be on your fine rig, and a care package is on the way soon

Edit 3: I guess if you wanted to feel great about it there's this They do look nice
I only have a pair of analogue out (L/R) on the ASUS, but I do have a spare splitter laying around (3.5/2RCA) although it's really short. I can easily order a 6ft length though.
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - McIntosh - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - PS Audio - Rega - Valab/King - Wave Acoustic
Old 03-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
I only have a pair of analogue out (L/R) on the ASUS, but I do have a spare splitter laying around (3.5/2RCA) although it's really short. I can easily order a 6ft length though.
Then you just need 2 of those splitters that you connect on the back of your Xonar and the ICs to go to your preamp and your in business buddy.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #17

Jul 2007

Quote:
Then you just need 2 of those splitters that you connect on the back of your Xonar and the ICs to go to your preamp and your in business buddy.
Cool! Once I get the system changed over I'll try it out. Nice! Thanks buddy!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #18

Dec 2007

Quote:

Very good piece of advice !!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #19

Dec 2007

You could use a piggyback cable as well. Here's an example.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-AH96PBN-Pi.../dp/B003GSLEL2
Old 03-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #20

Jul 2007

Quote:
You could use a piggyback cable as well. Here's an example.

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-AH96PBN-Pi.../dp/B003GSLEL2
Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I should probably order both types....they're cheap enough and see which configuration I prefer.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software