Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 02-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Special Member

May 2011
Default Has Apple TV been a flop?

I enjoy my Apple 5th gen iPod and such....I have no interest in purchase an Apple TV as it seems as tho it is a cash grab on Apple's part to purchase their device.

I fully support the idea of streaming, however I hate the idea that Apple makes you buy their product.

Currently I either use my PS3 or I just hook up my laptop.

Is Apple Tv a flop?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagemaster View Post
I enjoy my Apple 5th gen iPod and such....I have no interest in purchase an Apple TV as it seems as tho it is a cash grab on Apple's part to purchase their device.

I fully support the idea of streaming, however I hate the idea that Apple makes you buy their product.

Currently I either use my PS3 or I just hook up my laptop.

Is Apple Tv a flop?
No idea how to measure it on whether to consider it a flop or not. Prior to having an HTPC I used mine faithfully. Netflix and movie rentals were the main purpose, but I also used it for streaming music and looking at pictures through my photostream. Since the HTPC has come around though I don't find myself going to it too often.

Like any apple product I find if you invest in their 'ecosystem' it is a worthy appliance. If you buy your music through iTunes and rent/buy your digital movies through iTunes as well it is a natural extension particularly if you have iPhones, iTouches, or iPad's as they all integrate really nicely with it.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #3

Jan 2013

It had record sales of 2 million units last quarter, and 60% growth year over year. It might not be as functional as people want, but it's not a flop.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2026...e-shadows.html
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

That is not going to satisfy investors who became accustomed to Apple's double-digit growth in innovations moving a greater volume of units. Shares were up in the $700s in September and now they're in the mid-$400s. Apple badly needs a revolutionary product instead of the continued evolutionary announcements. Unfortunately the only guy at Apple who seemed to know how to define market into product is now dead.
EyeSpeech: Speak Your Eye
B&W Speakers
: 802D | HTM1D | ASW-825 | N805 | SCM1
Amps: VAC Phi Beta 110i | Audio Refinement Multi-5 | Integra DTC-9.8
Display & Front End: Pioneer KRP-600 Kuro | Oppo BDP-95
Misc.: VPI Scout | PSA Premier | Electra Glide & Alpha Core cables
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasgo View Post
It had record sales of 2 million units last quarter, and 60% growth year over year. It might not be as functional as people want, but it's not a flop.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2026...e-shadows.html
There are about 115,000,000 households with televisions in the United States.

90% of them have cable or satellite.

I don't know if it's failed - probably not - but it (and the other broadband services) have a long way to go.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

I own the Gen 1, sits there.
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

I don't think the Apple TV is a flop. We use ours very often, mostly for watching TV shows from our iPad.
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine
www.vinylphilemag.com

My vinyl, tube, and electrostatic speaker stereo system.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011
Mount Doom

It will NEVER be a success.
People are not familiar with Apple TV's.
They won't invest a lot in a TV if they are not familiar with it and have always used Sony / Samsung etc.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayisnice View Post
It will NEVER be a success.
People are not familiar with Apple TV's.
They won't invest a lot in a TV if they are not familiar with it and have always used Sony / Samsung etc.
Apple TV is a streaming box, not an actual TV, to stream iTunes media (music, video, etc.).
Old 02-06-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Long Island, N.Y.; 3D blu-rays look stunning; Favorite food: Pizza

I have been an fan of Apple for as long as I can remember. Over the years Apple has really irritated me with some of its decisions. I despise the fact that Apple does not allow Flash on ipads and iphones.

Apple TV is an interesting device. I do like how I can mirror my ipad and iphone on my 55-inch screen. But It burns my azz that Apple will not add apps such as Vudu, CinemaNow or Amazon Instant Video to the Apple TV. Obviously they are competition and being such they must be banned. But yet one can install apps from those service providers on the ipad and iphone. Why not include them on Apple TV?

The good news is one can access Netflix or Hulu on Apple TV. It can also stream our music, photos, TV shows and movies?

But is it enough? I would like it more if it included a built in web browser. It should also include SD and USB ports. Maybe I am asking too much since the device has iCloud access and one can mirror the ipad and iphone on the big screen via Apple TV.

I do like Apple TV, but because I use Vudu, I also have a Roku 2 XS. It's not perfect either, but together, both boxes (hockey pucks, actually) do enhance the overall TV viewing experience for me.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
East of Seattle

Apple had it's day in the sun.

Nothing lasts forever.
No TV, No Facebook, No Smartphone, No Texting, No Social Media, No Credit Card, No Debit Card, No Passwords or user names, No Google (start page) One VPN e mail. Only Blu-ray.com because they will not delete my account. FUVK! Stop being a slave. This is the only place I am allowed to post. Write your congressman and stop me. This is all true
Old 02-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
Special Member

Oct 2012
Sandy, Oregon USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycomet View Post
I despise the fact that Apple does not allow Flash on ipads and iphones.
And, here is why.
My PSN ID: The_Edge_1980
Nissen's Back to the Future Retro VHS BD custom covers I've commisioned can be found HERE
A biopic worthy of being in your collection: Control (2007)
WEED IS DUMB.
Don't bother criticizing how I post, because I couldn't care less what you think about how I do things. I've got no time for Internet Nazis or Sheldon Cooper-like people.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Special Member

Nov 2009
Folsom, CA

I bought it 2 weeks ago and I love it! 1. All my digital copies show in HD on my 52" Sony tv - which means I don't have to have a stack of Disney blu-rays out constantly for my daughter - ease of access and limits the chance of blu-ray destruction. The radio stations sound really good through my home theatre system and my wife can listen to Russian pop music channels. Those are the only 2 functions that I use but they alone justify the purchase! Honestly I only bought it because of the $50 off bestbuy coupon a few weeks ago but I am SO glad I did!
My trading thread...
Includes Criterion / Disney / Coupons / Regular Blu's / DVD's etc... http://forum.blu-ray.com/trading-for...ml#post4492250
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Expert Member

Oct 2012
Northern California

I think there's some great things about it that make connectivity to your computer (especially if it's an Apple) rather seamless. Having access to iTunes, internet radio and photos is a nice feature, but their internet apps seem a little weak. With so many smart TVs and smart disk players out there, you probably will gravitate to the device that offers the best selection and performance, so if you already have a smart component, you probably won't need that feature. One thing I have notice with Apple TV though, is that it gets much better wifi rececption than any other wifi enabled device I own.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I can't really judge it because i don't have one but my brother has had ones for years and loves it and we just bought one for my brother in law for christmas. hard to say. is netflix in Canada a flop because we have maybe 1/4 the selection that the States has? hardly and we get things they don't but if you ask people, they would say yes simple because a show they can get in the States isn't on ours. guess it all depends on what you are using to judge it.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #16
Expert Member

Mar 2009

Apple tv's AirPlay feature is a good one that got me hooked , very reliable ,streaming everything from your iPad or iPhone to your tv
Old 04-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #17

Jan 2013

I just finally got an apple tv 3 after years of using my xbox/ps3/boxee and other devices. I've built up my itunes library for movies and wanted another box. Price and features are great. I like the apple tv more than many of the other media units.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
I don't think the Apple TV is a flop. We use ours very often, mostly for watching TV shows from our iPad.
How can anybody enjoy watching movies, TV shows or TV in general on a 9" screen iPad screen. If I'm traveling, I'll would rather read a book, a magazine or sight see, instead of trying to watch anything on a screen that small. That would turn me off from watching TV show, movies, and everything else on TV.

Last edited by slimdude; 04-15-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

to be the king, (at least for me) appletv needs to support 8 channels in DD+ and allow all games to be shown on the big screen in HD and come out with a simple BT controller to allow games to be played.

i love it just as it is, but, those things i mentioned would make it better for me.
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 04-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #20

Oct 2008
St. Paul, MN

As someone who has three of them in my house, (2 3rd gens, 1 first gen) I think they are great.

I have two kids, so it is way easier to switch movies 5 minutes into it when they decide that they want to watch Wall E instead of Cars... or whatever, and I don't have to deal with them messing with the discs at all.

But, back to the question at hand - is it a flop... Apple has always maintained that the Apple TV was a hobby of theirs. I tend to see that as another way of saying, "we're going to do this, but if it fails, we won't look too bad."

It is selling better than it has, so I wouldn't characterize it as a flop - only because expectations on this were low to begin with.
I'm the one that uses the digital copies.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion