Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
18 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Beyond (Blu-ray)
$24.99
14 hrs ago
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom New Monty Python "science fiction" Movie...with Robin Williams!

According to Forbes, the Monty Python team are making a new film...in the science fiction genre! Robin Williams will appear as a "talking dog", and the rumours are that the Pythons will play aliens who grant wishes to humans, just to see what happens.

As of yet, only one remaining Python has not signed on -- Eric Idle -- but John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and Terry Jones (who will be directing, also) have agreed (with Graham Chapman sadly deceased).

Sounds as kooky and crazy as everything else they've done, and I, for one, am happy to see them back on the big screen!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpin...uch-rejoicing/

Last edited by legendarymatt92; 02-06-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendarymatt92 View Post
According to Forbes, the Monty Python team are making a new film...in the science fiction genre! Robin Williams will appear as a "talking dog", and the rumours are that the Pythons will play aliens who grant wishes to humans, just to see what happens.

As of yet, only one remaining Python has not signed on -- Eric Idle -- but John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and Terry Jones (who will be directing, also) have agreed (with Graham Chapman sadly deceased).

Sounds as kooky and crazy as everything else they've done, and I, for one, am happy to see them back on the big screen!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpin...uch-rejoicing/
YES!! Words cannot describe my excitement!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

I'd love this to happen, I really would. Sounds too good to be true but I hope my cynacism is proven wrong.

A new Monty python movie? A real one? And the premise sounds pretty good too, something that they could really have fun with.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Tulsa, OK (formally S. Wales)

Well this one is way out of left field!

Should be a helluva ride regardless!!! Hope Eric Idle signs on!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

That article on Forbes has recently been edited, and the original date it was published was a year ago. However, after a bit more digging, I found an article from last November which confirms Benedict Cumberbatch has signed on for the main role, a teacher, who develops magical powers after being visited by the aliens.

http://www.themarysue.com/benedict-c...tely-anything/

And, according to that, the project has a title: Absolutely Anything.

Jones is still on as director, and will voice one of the CGI aliens, as will the other Pythons. The jury is out in the Internet world on whether this is going to be classed as another "Monty Python" film, however, because it seems that most of the Pythons agree the trope "died" with Chapman in 1989.

Still hope this is made, and am excited for them all to be back on one project, working together.

Here's the IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1727770/
Old 02-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #6

Jan 2009
Liverpool New York

This is great news.The premise of the film and the fact that the surving members(for the most part)are signed up sounds great.Robin Williams is one of my all time favorites so that doesnt hurt it any either in my book.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

you never know with Chapman anyways - there are always outtakes and such, maybe they find a line or two from an old Python movie that they can use here and suddenly he is in the movie - the quiet alien that one says one thing but it is important. looking forward to this.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
Rio Rancho, NM

A new Monty Python film?? Who knew?

PSN: SirMontyPython

"I fart in your general direction..."
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Dayton, OH

Robin Williams... *groan*
Strassen in Flammen
Old 02-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

did'nt Robin Williams have a cameo in Gilliam's Adventures of Baron Munchausen?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Expert Member

Dec 2009

Heard about this a while back. Glad it is still a possibility.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #12

Aug 2012
South Attleboro, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
did'nt Robin Williams have a cameo in Gilliam's Adventures of Baron Munchausen?

King of the Moon I believe.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
you never know with Chapman anyways - there are always outtakes and such, maybe they find a line or two from an old Python movie that they can use here and suddenly he is in the movie - the quiet alien that one says one thing but it is important. looking forward to this.
I can understand why they don't feel like "Monty Python" with a member gone, but this is a brilliant idea and would make it feel more like a proper Python film. I think they should use one of his more famous lines and have it as a wink to both him and their incredible past.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
According to Forbes, the Monty Python team are making a new film...in the science fiction genre! Robin Williams will appear as a "talking dog",
"Teddy Salad? As in...?"
"Yeah, yeah, 'lettuce and tomatoes'."

Quote:
And if it's as stale, bitter, and inscrutably unfunny as their "Haven't changed since that awful fourth season" 30th anniversary BBC2 reunion special, I'm not.

(But then, even they admit "Meaning of Life" was an ultimately failed effort that fell from higher ideas, that had everyone flailing their own material without organization. As usual, only Graham had his mind on the job.)
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
(But then, even they admit "Meaning of Life" was an ultimately failed effort that fell from higher ideas, that had everyone flailing their own material without organization. As usual, only Graham had his mind on the job.)
I have to agree that The Meaning of Life isn't their best effort - it's brilliant and superbly funny IMO, but definitely nowhere near the highs that The Life of Brian achieved and a lot more uneven (but that might be 'cos of the episodic way the stories are told, and not because the material is worse).
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
I have to agree that The Meaning of Life isn't their best effort - it's brilliant and superbly funny IMO, but definitely nowhere near the highs that The Life of Brian achieved and a lot more uneven (but that might be 'cos of the episodic way the stories are told, and not because the material is worse).
You can hear them complain about everything that didn't come together, on the "Almost the Truth" documentary--
John Cleese felt that everyone was scattered and working on solo bits, Eric Idle wanted the "Waiter's odyssey" scene to be the end credits coda of the movie, and felt the studio had shuffled it into the wrong place just to end on a Terry Gilliam-esque musical number, and Gilliam's Big-Brazil self-indulgence on the Crimson Permanent Assurance sketch just seemed to have no place to fit in the movie.

The problem with Season 4 of the TV series is that two of the episodes (buying an ant at Harrods, and Hamlet goes to the psychiatrist) had already been written for the early "sketch" draft of Holy Grail, before Cleese had left the group, feeling they were in a "rut"--And coincidentally, those were the only two episodes that had any sense for physical comic timing and satire.
Without him, the episodes had pretty much devolved into Idle and Chapman's non-sequitirs, Michael Palin playing a hundred variations on his one cheery-nerd oddball who keeps getting sidetracked by some meaningless detail, and Terry Jones' attempt to string them into baffling too-long running-gags for no apparent reason. That, and a few biting-the-hand pokes at the BBC became almost the only joke they told, twenty-four hours a day, for all six episodes. The only one who survived with his comedy intact was Graham Chapman, still playing pompous-authority doctors and policemen.
(Call me heretical, but the Jones-Palin "Ripping Yarns" a year after was physical pain to sit through. )

When we got The Same Thing, Only Older on the "Life of Python" 30th Anniversary reunion, I'm not hoping that the disease has been miracle-cured since.

Last edited by EricJ; 02-06-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #17

May 2009
New Zealand

There is a movie coming out, just read about it today, about all the hoo-hah over 'Life of Brian'..
Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
Old 08-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Raleigh

Robin Williams May Not Have Finished Voicing Absolutely Anything

Quote:
Robin Williams May Not Have Finished Voicing Absolutely Anything
Source: The Telegraph
August 17, 2014

Following the death of Robin Williams, it was believed that he had finished four more films, including Merry Friggin' Christmas, Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb, Boulevard and Absolutely Anything. Simon Pegg has told The Telegraph he's not so sure Williams finished recording the voice of his dog, Dennis, for the latter.

"I'm not sure Robin had completed doing his voice in the movie. He was doing the voice of my dog and I hope that he had completed it because it would be a real shame not to have him in it. And of course there will be a degree of sadness there, but the work he did do would have been done with his usual verve and brilliance," said Pegg.

Lionsgate UK declined to comment on whether Williams' contribution would be included in the final cut.

In the film, a sci-fi comedy featuring members of the Monty Python team, is said to follow a schoolteacher (Pegg), who is given the incredible power to make his every wish a reality by a group of aliens (voiced by the Pythons). The Terry Jones-directed film does not have a release date yet.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:16 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Hong Kong

Well, Robin Williams did have a cameo in Terry Gilliam's new film Zero Theorum.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
john cleese, monty python, robin williams, science fiction, terry gilliam