COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Weekend (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Elvis: That's the Way It Is (Blu-ray)
$19.59
The Essential Jacques Demy (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Rick Steves: Ireland & Scotland 2000-2014 (Blu-ray)
$12.64
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
Old 02-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #1

Feb 2010
Default re-wired my front and center speakers

Hello all, In the wake of the Blizzard of 2013, I was bored outta my mind so I re wired my fronts and center. My fronts and center were using Monster Cable and my rears were wired using in-wall rated straight wire. I used the in wall rated straight wire for my fronts and center and call me crazy, I can hear and tell the difference in sound. Is that all possible?
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 plasma/Panasonic BDT-310 blu-ray player/Pioneer DV-410V (Multi-Region) DVD player/DirecTV Geni/Anthem MRX-500/Panamax M5100-PM Power conditioner/Paradigm Monitor 7 v.6's fronts, CC-190 v.6 center, ADP-190's v.6 rear /Paradigm Monitor Sub-10/URC MX-980/URC MRF-350 base station
Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp71 View Post
Hello all, In the wake of the Blizzard of 2013, I was bored outta my mind so I re wired my fronts and center. My fronts and center were using Monster Cable and my rears were wired using in-wall rated straight wire. I used the in wall rated straight wire for my fronts and center and call me crazy, I can hear and tell the difference in sound. Is that all possible?
Is the gauge and shielding similar? If they are then I'd say you're hearing things If one is thicker and has better shielding and sounds better you could potentially have some interference in the area that was impacting your sound before that you never noticed... but in all honesty I think you're hearing things
Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #3

Feb 2010

who knows, maybe im hearing things. The center definatley sounds different.....maybe some interference...
Panasonic TC-P50ST50 plasma/Panasonic BDT-310 blu-ray player/Pioneer DV-410V (Multi-Region) DVD player/DirecTV Geni/Anthem MRX-500/Panamax M5100-PM Power conditioner/Paradigm Monitor 7 v.6's fronts, CC-190 v.6 center, ADP-190's v.6 rear /Paradigm Monitor Sub-10/URC MX-980/URC MRF-350 base station
Old 02-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:
Personally I don't buy it, unless your re-wiring cured a pre-existing problem like some corroded cable or other issue.

I too used to hear all kinds of differences, but when put to more strict testing, I realized it's actually very hard to reliably detect such differences.

The key thing to know is that the easiest person to convince of something is one's self.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Hey Man, I won't tell you that you're not hearing a difference as I'm not there and you may very well have improved the sound of your speakers.

What usually has the most impact on the sound of speakers is, Placement, how you angle them or "toe them in". Gauge, the higher the gauge, 14-12, instead of say 16 will yield a more robust sonic presence in the room. Putting up sound dampening materials for areas in the room that reflect the sound.

Little things that can offer some improvement are speaker wire termination. Looking at your gallery I see you have that covered. Checking to make sure nothing in the room is rattling or shaking.

However, if all that happened was you changed out the wire with another and simply switched it between speakers using the exact same gauge wire all across the board then there should have been no noticed change in performance. Unless there's something else you may have done like move furniture around or something. That also can have an impact.
On a never ending mission to stop the spread of BS.

Last edited by Troy73; 02-17-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Construction