COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Defiance: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$37.99
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$80.76
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Ring (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Fed Up (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.66
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Lost Boys (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.79
Megamind 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.70
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 01-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #1801
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Note in case anyone is interested, the refurbished BDP-95's are selling for $799 on Oppo's site.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #1802

Dec 2009

count me in as one having no luck playing 3D "Dredd" on my oppo bdp-93...

got one from amazon... sent it back & got replacement... same thing - goes past dts ad then when movie starts it freezes with green horizontal line in middle of screen...

went ahead & watched it in standard 2D and it plays fine...

enjoyed it but only bought it for the 3D... probably wouldn't have paid $20 for it as just a standard 2D movie... hopefully at some point oppo will offer a firmware fix that'll allow us to play it... afraid to send it back to amazon after reading horror stories of being banned for only a few returns...
Old 01-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #1803
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearkiss View Post

got one from amazon... sent it back & got replacement... same thing - goes past dts ad then when movie starts it freezes with green horizontal line in middle of screen...

enjoyed it but only bought it for the 3D... probably wouldn't have paid $20 for it as just a standard 2D movie... hopefully at some point oppo will offer a firmware fix that'll allow us to play it... afraid to send it back to amazon after reading horror stories of being banned for only a few returns...
they only released it as a 2d/3d pack. it does play better in 3d. I would recommending waiting for oppo to release a fix for it.

Jacob
Old 01-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #1804

Dec 2010

Quote:

Bummer. Has anybody encountered any problems with the UK version of Dredd so far? I mean, it's definitely not the same disc, but then again we don't really know what exactly might be going wrong, do we?

I already have the UK, but I won't get a chance to check it out before the weekend.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #1805
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

Quote:

Read that you have to start in 2D then stop and resume in 3D somehow. Haven't got the disc myself but seems to work for many but there is something wrong with the disc clearly. Hope Oppo can fix it.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #1806
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan View Post
Read that you have to start in 2D then stop and resume in 3D somehow. Haven't got the disc myself but seems to work for many but there is something wrong with the disc clearly. Hope Oppo can fix it.
OK, personally I don't have the problem with this particular disc, but this is starting to look familiar and makes some sense to me now because I've experienced four or five BD 3D movies where they won't play in 3D without starting them in 2D first while I'm using both Corel WinDVD or Cyberlink PowerDVD 12 on my Vaio F3D. The problem is pointing to an updated/revised JAVA issue. If you're one having the problem with Dredd 3D, try keeping the disc from the moment of start-up until the movie starts in 2D mode. Then, pick the pop-up menu and change the choice encode choice to 3D. This has worked for me each time with the problem 3Ds I own and I've sent a heads-up to both Corel and Cyberlink, which had appreciation thank-you replies. Not sure how you can keep it in 2D on a dedicated player, but it looks like some people are finding ways.

Good luck,
Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #1807

Sep 2009

I had posted this on another thread, hope it helps.

Ok here's the latest in my adventure. I got my copy from Amazon today and walla! No more unknown disk, i go into the trailers and then to the top menu. Thought this would be the fix, then i selected to watch in 3d, got the wonderful dts-hd splash screen and then i heard the sound of the movie for a split second and then a blank screen and no sound and a green horizontal line, the clock on the player was as if it had paused. I noticed during the disk loading "checking for updates" so i decided to turn on the BD-Live. Loaded the disk again and selected 3d and bingo it worked!!!! Btw pertaining to the "checking for updates" i didn't notice any update taking place but it must like something about BD-Live being on. Well I hope this helps others. But it sure does look like BB has a bad batch of disks. Another thing i noticed is that the Amazon version had two factory seals installed versus BB having only one. Might be some form of a measuring stick not sure.

Just thought i'd better mention that i had the disk out of the player when i selected bd-live on so that when i load it again it would go through the "checking for updates" process again.

Playing on a Oppo bdp-93
Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #1808
Special Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbiker2001 View Post
I had posted this on another thread, hope it helps.

Ok here's the latest in my adventure. I got my copy from Amazon today and walla! No more unknown disk, i go into the trailers and then to the top menu. Thought this would be the fix, then i selected to watch in 3d, got the wonderful dts-hd splash screen and then i heard the sound of the movie for a split second and then a blank screen and no sound and a green horizontal line, the clock on the player was as if it had paused. I noticed during the disk loading "checking for updates" so i decided to turn on the BD-Live. Loaded the disk again and selected 3d and bingo it worked!!!! Btw pertaining to the "checking for updates" i didn't notice any update taking place but it must like something about BD-Live being on. Well I hope this helps others. But it sure does look like BB has a bad batch of disks. Another thing i noticed is that the Amazon version had two factory seals installed versus BB having only one. Might be some form of a measuring stick not sure.

Just thought i'd better mention that i had the disk out of the player when i selected bd-live on so that when i load it again it would go through the "checking for updates" process again.

Playing on a Oppo bdp-93
that does make sense. I know that many dont like having the bdlive turned on. so maybe that is why they are having trouble playing it. I always have it so. I hardly ever have trouble with it.

Jacob
Old 01-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #1809
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

There have been a few Blu-ray titles with bad Java code and the programmer by mistake has designed the Blu-ray disc so that BD-LIVE needs to be turned on or the disc will not load. Someone mentioned this problem with Starship Troopers awhile ago and there are a few other Blu-ray titles were the BD-LIVE feature needs to be turned on.

I always leave the BD-LIVE feature turned on and with the latest firmware update have no loading problems with anything so far. One of my family members has one of those unlimited Blockbuster Blu-ray rental programs that allows them to bring a new Blu-ray home every day. Of course now sometimes Blockbuster stocks a mixture of retail versions of the movie and the rental versions of some titles. One of the reasons the rental versions of movies dropped the BD-LIVE feature is because the disc loading reliability went way up.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:03 AM   #1810
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
If he did I can't find it posted, but it be interesting if he still has the issue with a replacement. Its on the watch list to see if any of us can spot it.
My replacement player also has the issue- but it doesn't manifest on Source Direct.

I was able to prove (to myself at least) that the issue is evidently is a glitch that manifests when a 1080/24p video stream passes through the Qdeo chip.

Oppo has not seen the issue, I don't know why not. All you need to do is watch movies on the player for a week and you'll see it.

I am fairly certain that the August firmware updates to the capabilities of the Qdeo are where all these problems started.
Because I didn't notice the issues till after that time...

Last edited by Fanboyz; 01-30-2013 at 03:06 AM. Reason: info
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #1811
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
My replacement player also has the issue- but it doesn't manifest on Source Direct.

I was able to prove (to myself at least) that the issue is evidently is a glitch that manifests when a 1080/24p video stream passes through the Qdeo chip.

Oppo has not seen the issue, I don't know why not. All you need to do is watch movies on the player for a week and you'll see it.

I am fairly certain that the August firmware updates to the capabilities of the Qdeo are where all these problems started.
Because I didn't notice the issues till after that time...
I passed on your observations, if there is a title or titles that it seems to happen more recurring let us know.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #1812
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

not title dependent.

All you have to do is watch blu rays on the 93 for like a week.
You'll see it eventually.
You can't trigger it, it's just a bug.
I know the August update is to blame.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #1813
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
not title dependent.

All you have to do is watch blu rays on the 93 for like a week.
You'll see it eventually.
You can't trigger it, it's just a bug.
I know the August update is to blame.
I have changed mine to source direct and it seems okay.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #1814
Banned

Aug 2010

Quote:

I also have an Oppo 93, and I picked up Dredd 3D from Best Buy, but fortunately I had no lockup issues playing the movie in 3D at all - it went right in to 3D play from the menu... And, I always have BD Live and all that remote crap turned off in my player...

I did notice when I selected 3D from the main menu, it briefly went to a black screen with a small "HDMI invalid format" message in the lower left corner of the screen for just a second or so (generated by my Epson 5010 projector, I believe), but it then went right into 3D and played the movie. I have my 93 plugged directly into the projector, HDMI1 to HDMI1...
Old 01-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #1815
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_nick View Post
I have changed mine to source direct and it seems okay.
Yeah it's fine on Source Direct.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #1816

Oct 2008
Lanus, Argentina

Sorry for posting this but long time I don't read this thread.

Few months back I read that after updating the player's firmware, if you have installed the free mod kit ( the one you have to install inside the player, not the USB device ), you have to update also the mod kit firmware, BUT there was this problem about that it could be done ONLY with a 2GB pendrive because if it was done with a 4, 8 or more GB pendrive, the installation update wouldn't work.

I haven't updated my player's firmware since because I can't find a 2GB pendrive to update also the mod kit firm, but the question is, is this problem still present with the lastest firm update? I have updated the firm several times without needing to update the mod's one, but after reading that this problem was present, don't remember on what version of the player's firm, I haven't done any update.

What's the news on this? Is still present the problem with the newest updates?

( sorry for my English! )

Last edited by Carlos2992; 02-09-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #1817

Oct 2008
Lanus, Argentina

Regarding the issue described above... I have updated the player's firm, tested the player and no need to update de pro mod firm!! Region free works just like always.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #1818
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

Has any one had this issue with they're 93.. I have a flashdrive formatted as fat32, i've used this drive many times to play MKV's with no issues. Now for some reason, It's erasing my flash drive. I'll plug it in my computer and it says it need to be formatted because it's never been initialized. So I format as fat32, transfer my file plug it in and again it's been completely erased? No idea why or how this is happening..?
Fascinating... - Spock

There's ALWAYS money in the Banana Stand! - George Bluth

Son of a bit*h, I'm sick of these dolphins. - Steve Zissou
Old 02-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #1819
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimforsilence View Post
Has any one had this issue with they're 93.. I have a flashdrive formatted as fat32, i've used this drive many times to play MKV's with no issues. Now for some reason, It's erasing my flash drive. I'll plug it in my computer and it says it need to be formatted because it's never been initialized. So I format as fat32, transfer my file plug it in and again it's been completely erased? No idea why or how this is happening..?
If you format the drive as NTFS its impossible for the OPPO BDP-93/95 operating system to erase any files on a attached USB or e-SATA drive. The only negative of using NTFS is that it will not work for BD-LIVE storage since NTFS is read only on the OPPO. If you want to use the drive for BD-LIVE storage you have to format the drive as FAT32. If you are clearing the persistent memory in the OPPO menu that will erase your attached FAT32 drive only (it sounds like the drive was being automatically erased according to you description). Some people attach 3 hard drives or flash drives to the OPPO at once. One 2TB e-SATA drive formatted as FAT32 for BD-LIVE storage and up to two USB drives formatted as NTFS for playing back video and audio files.

If you search this thread toward the beginning I made a long detailed post on how the USB 2.0 and e-SATA II system works on the OPPO and which is the ideal file system to use.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 02-16-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #1820
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

I'm a mac user so I have no way of formatting anything in NTFS as thats not a apple file system. I don't use BD Live, it's currently turned off. I'm just having this weird issue where I plug a drive in to watch whats on it, but the player formats the drive. I really don't understand how it's doing this. I'm at the Home menu of my 93, I plug the drive in the front. And boom, everything erased... its confusing..
Fascinating... - Spock

There's ALWAYS money in the Banana Stand! - George Bluth

Son of a bit*h, I'm sick of these dolphins. - Steve Zissou
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders