COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Atlantis: The Lost Empire / Atlantis: Milo's Return (Blu-ray)
$14.96
30 Minutes or Less (Blu-ray)
$4.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Maniac (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rio 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Leonard Cohen: Live at the Isle of Wight 1970 (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Extant: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$49.96
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #1

Feb 2013
Default 3D-2D signal

This is a question I have recently gotten in my head that I seem unable to find or figure out.

I understand how modern consoles like Wii U and others send 3D signals as dual images and such that the TV then projects in the proper manner.

But in my head the 2D signal the consoles can send would be yet another picture that has to be sent through the signal, though I am not certain if this is the case.

So how does a console handle the thing about 3D or 2D? Does it send a 2D signal AND 3D signal at once that the TV picks from, or does the TV send as ignal back to the console to tell it which mode it is in and then the console send the proper signal?

Or how does it work?

Best Regards
Old 02-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorZelos View Post
... or does the TV send as signal back to the console to tell it which mode it is in and then the console send the proper signal?
You got it.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorZelos View Post
This is a question I have recently gotten in my head that I seem unable to find or figure out.

I understand how modern consoles like Wii U and others send 3D signals as dual images and such that the TV then projects in the proper manner.

But in my head the 2D signal the consoles can send would be yet another picture that has to be sent through the signal, though I am not certain if this is the case.

So how does a console handle the thing about 3D or 2D? Does it send a 2D signal AND 3D signal at once that the TV picks from, or does the TV send as ignal back to the console to tell it which mode it is in and then the console send the proper signal?

Or how does it work?

Best Regards
depends. For example I had my PS3 set up on my old 2D projector, when I got a 3D projector, I connected it to it and it thought it was still connected to a 2D display, so when I put in my 3D movie it said it could not play it because the display was 2D and it can only be shown in 3D. So I made sure to change the settings and to turn the PS3 off and on again so that the film could play in 3D. But my projector has a 2D/3D button and during the film if I switch to 2D all it does is show it in 2D (even though technically it should not since the disk is only fr 3D viewing)

Basically in 3D you have a 1080p left image and a 1080p right image so the player and display need to agree on a format for transport over HDMI, for example

over-under where a 2160x1920 image is sent

or side by side

where it is 1080x3840

then the display takes that image and it could (assuming the display has that feature show only the first half of the image (i.e. 1080x1920) or split the image in two and show both for 3D.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #4

Feb 2013

I am aware of how the 3D signal itself is transmitted, the question is more how does the console know wether the TV is set to 3D or 2D? or doesn't it know and just transmit a 2D and 3D signal at once?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion