COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Babette's Feast (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Armored Attack! (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
Black Nativity (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Giver (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
That's the Way of the World (Blu-ray)
$16.07
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$11.68
Old 11-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #1

May 2009
Default Panasonic TC-L55ET5

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=4860489

This was on sale during Black Friday for like $799 or $899. Now that was a steal.

Does anyone have one? I have a Panasonic plasma but it's old, so I'm looking for a new tv.

Suggestions?
Panasonic 42" 1080P Plasma
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu Ray Player
Panasonic 5.1 HT
Old 12-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Special Member

Jul 2008

This thread is pretty old at this point, so you've likely already made up your mind one way or another, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in...

I've got the 42" version of this model. I didn't love it at first. In fact, I considered returning it. Not because the quality wasn't great - it's quite fantastic, but because I found the adjustment controls to be severely limited and I couldn't get the picture right for the life of me.

After about four and a half months, I've gotten it to where I'm comfortable after several calibrations and tinkering. It had a strange yellowish/green tint on nearly everything.

It also doesn't play nicely with other brand AV systems. My Sony HTiB just recently miraculously cured itself of a delay that had been nagging me for months. I have no idea how. I had given up and one day it was just gone.

Really, though, those are just isolated issues. I paid $599 for the 42" and I'm completely satisfied. Now that I've corrected my problems, I love it. I'm not sure it's quite worth the asking price at Best Buy right now, but I'm sure a sale will come around again.

And for the what it's worth, I think the 3D is fantastic as well.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2010

I ordered one from Amazon for $959.99 on Wednesday--but the price is back up to $1,259 now. I'm sending back a Panny PC-P55UT50 plasma that I couldn't stand the buzzing and IR on in exchange for it. Should get it on Monday.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
Special Member

Jun 2010

Posted my impressions and settings over on avsforums, figured I might as well post them here too.

I just got the TC-L55ET5 today. Exchanged a 55UT50 plasma for it through Amazon. I had the plasma for a couple weeks but couldn't live with the buzz that I could hear 10+ feet away over dialogue in bright scenes (a tech came and changed out screws--didn't help) and was starting to get annoyed by IR from games and ESPN. Amazon was sold out of the UT50 so trying another wasn't an option, and I was pretty sure Plasma just wasn't for me since I have a brighter room, watch hours of ESPN and play a decent amount of games.

After a few hours (TV was delivered around 10am) with the new set, I'm very happy with it. Completly silent, not buzz at all. Picture is awesome. Blacks and motion aren't as good as on the plasma a expected, but colors pop much more, the set is much better with my blinds open (though I still wish the screen wasn't glossy) and the 3D is surprisingly clearer. I expected the 3D to be worse being passive vs. active. But it looks better to my eyes (less double image/blurring of things far forward in the field). And I love not having to mess with batteries, turning glasses on etc. Picture uniformity seems solid, minimal light bleed in the corners as best I can tell. I'll preface all that by saying I"m not a videophile type and won't spend much time looking for problems.

I tuned the picture settings using the Disney WoW disc, and this is what I came out with.

Picture Mode: Cinema
Back Light: 25 (just left that where it was)
Contrast: 97
Brightness: 57
Color: 78
Tint: +2
Sharpness: 25 (didn't seem to make any difference to me turning it up or down (everything is hooked up via HDMI through my Denon 1312 receiver) so just put it at 25 fairly randomly
Color Temp: Warm
Color mgmt: off
A.I. picture: off
C.A.T.S. Off
Video NR: Off

Aspect Adjustments: Use Size 2 so you aren't losing 5% of picture with overscan in Size 1

HDMI Settings: Content type=Graphics

Advanced Picture:

Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion Picture Setting: Off
Black level: light

I'm using those for 2D and 3D now (have to set 3D seperate--display 3D content then go into the picture menu)--both look great to me. The glasses don't seem to darken the picture much in 3D, unlike on the plasma where I had to bump contrast some for 3D.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Special Member

Jul 2008

I'm curious to know why you chose "graphics" for HDMI content type. What exactly does that feature do? I couldn't seem to figure it out and left everything on "auto" in that area.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Special Member

Jun 2010

I don't really notice a difference.

I just went with it as I briefly had Panny 55UT50 and most of the posted settings on AVS Forums for it said set it to graphics as the color accuracy was better. So I just went with the same on this one too.

I'm still loving this TV. Great picture and no buzz or worries over IR that drove me bonkers with the plasma.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:05 AM   #7
Special Member

Jun 2010

Fry's has it for $899.99 with free shipping now. Price shows at checkout.

http://www.frys.com/product/6994097?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Put in a price match request for my Amazon order.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 02-03-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Fry's has it for $899.99 with free shipping now.

http://www.frys.com/product/6994097?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Put in a price match request for my Amazon order.
dang, that's a good price !, very impressive
Old 02-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Special Member

Jun 2010

Yep, great price. Got the $60 refunded from Amazon. Makes this one only $20 or so more than I paid for the UT50 (and 2 pairs of 3D glasses I had to buy separately) I returned. So I'm very pleased.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #10

Feb 2013

Hey demaul, when Amazon delivered your TV, did you opt for the free "Enhanced Delivery" where they unbox and set up the TV?

The reason I ask is that I, like you, requested a $60 refund based on Frys price, but Amazon denied it based on the fact that I had received the free Enhanced Delivery which they equate to Frys "White Glove" delivery for which Frys charges $60. Therefore they claim that the Frys cost is equivalent to the $960 that I paid Amazon.

Thanks for you thoughts.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
Special Member

Jun 2010

I got the free delivery (I have prime--but think it's free option for anyone). Was delivered by Ceva. They put it on the base and set it on my stand.

Pilot was the company that previously delivered my plasma that I returned (also free shipping)--they also put it on the base and set it on my stand.

Sounds like you got screwed by a lazy delivery crew.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
Special Member

Jun 2010

Just a small update....I've had the TV for over two weeks now and still love it.

Great picture overall. As said above, the blacks/dark scenes aren't as good as the plasma, but I love it otherwise. Picture looks very uniform (outside of putting up a black slide as I can see clouding there--but don't notice it in dark scenes). I love the brighter screen, and again it's super nice to not have to worry about IR (I left it on ESPN for around 12 hours yesterday--would have had very stubborn IR on the UT50 plasma I had if I did that given how it could stick around for several hours after 4-5 hours of ESPN).

Couldn't be more happy with it, especially for the $900 I paid for it.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #13

Feb 2013

Hi dmaul, Thanks again for the info regarding the $60 price match. I sent an email to Amazon asking them to review my request based on your successful experience, but once again they denied the refund even though we both received the "Enhanced Delivery Service". They said that the original evaluation had been done correctly and that they obviously could not tell me why your request had been successful, since they did not have your order number to look up your info.

Next time I'll ask Fry's if they would like to match Amazon's price, and buy from them.

Regarding the TV, I have had mine for the same length of time as you and agree with your appreciation of the set. The picture is great, flesh tones are excellent, and it does a good job of upconverting standard definition. Even old VHS tapes are quite watchable. I think the blacks look black, and there is good detail in dark scenes. Also, I have yet to spot any motion blur. Cheers.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #14
Special Member

Jun 2010

That sucks. Just luck of the draw on how carefully the rep checks the shipping options when looking into the price match.

Extra sucks since you didn't really get the enhanced delivery since they didn't put it on the stand like they're supposed to.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs